Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion!; Week of Oct. 13th
Topic Started: Oct 13 2008, 12:23 PM (5,507 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

I've watched the last few episodes and I just can't stand what I'm seeing.

I feel like if Days manages to survive another five years, we'll be looking back on this era thinking, "What the HELL was THAT?" Just like we do with Higley's 2003 stories.

None of it feels like Days of Our Lives. None of it.

Lucas and Chloe are just gross and contrived. The character of Sami is completely lost. Stephanie and Max need to move to Mars already, and they can take Melanie with them.

I don't like Kate having cancer at all, mainly because I fear that it's their way of axing Lauren Koslow. The character of Daniel is a joke and a bust, and it appalls me the way they have Kate in this random corner just secluded as if she's his own personal story prop. Hate it! Meanwhile, can we please bring back her inner power-hungry bitch side? What happened to her wardrobe? The Kate I'm seeing now just doesn't even feel like the Kate I knew eight years ago.

The story with Abe and Lexie has surprisingly come together, but it's not compelling to me. I don't care about Abe running for mayor or whatever, and the guy with the camera approaching Lexie in the park was just stupid. It just doesn't "feel" like a Days story. I mean, I can handle stories like this as long as they aren't painfully boring, but from what I've seen, that's exactly what it is.

The only people I can stand to watch are Nicole and EJ, and even with that I feel like the writing for Nicole is reaching a little far to make her the sympathetic character. In fact, I have suspicions that the only reason I enjoyed their scenes was because they took place in the DiMera Mansion, a set which brings back great memories and warm tinglies.

Where is the show that I used to recognize and love? Every time Dena Higley is at the helm, this show seems to completely lose its identity and I find myself not caring about characters that I used to be crazy about.

I really should stop watching classic clips on YouTube because it only manages to highlight just how shitty the show is in its current state. Compared to the work that we were seeing from Higley three months ago, I'll agree that what we're seeing now is much more watchable by comparison. But we're comparing shit to diarrhea here. Days could and should be so much more.

Sigh...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I actually think Days is more like Days then it has been since B&C. This is how Days was way back before JER completely changed the feel and tone and style. I mean, it's not perfect but it's more like Days then it was under Hogan. Don't get me wrong...I adore Hogan and loved his writing and I blame alot of that on Corday for interfering but Dena has brought back classic Lumi, made something out of the summer mess that was Lucas/Chloe/Sami/EJ/Nicole, given Abe and Lexie a worthy story, involved Caroline and Victor alot, and there is more but I'm trying to keep it short.

Higley isn't exactly my dream HW but I can't argue with the way the show is unfolding right now. With Scott gone, the stories have direction. We are getting great character interactions and a nice mix of character and plot-driven. There is some camp too. The writing team is coming into place and I feel like it will only get better from there. The only real thing I'm pissed about is the lack of Steve, Kayla, and Tony and wish the J&M stuff would get going but, other then that, the show is doing reasonably well IMO.

Everyone wants different things and that is the problem with Days. Some want the romantic adventure/supercouple stuff, some want realism, some want gothic/camp/etc, some want a mixture of things. There won't be pleasing everyone and I just hope the show realizes that because when they try to please everyone they fuck up royally and the show becomes directionless.

Oh, and Kenny...never watch any classic stuff on youtube for any current show still on the air and then watch the stuff on air now. Even being the positive person I am, I always think what we see now is much worse and that goes for ANY show. Hell, it even goes for American Idol :laugh: .
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 17 2008, 01:49 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 01:44 AM
I actually think Days is more like Days then it has been since B&C. This is how Days was way back before JER completely changed the feel and tone and style.
Okay, well let me clarify then.

This doesn't feel like "my" Days, LoL.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 17 2008, 01:26 AM
I don't like Kate having cancer at all, mainly because I fear that it's their way of axing Lauren Koslow. The character of Daniel is a joke and a bust, and it appalls me the way they have Kate in this random corner just secluded as if she's his own personal story prop. Hate it! Meanwhile, can we please bring back her inner power-hungry bitch side? What happened to her wardrobe? The Kate I'm seeing now just doesn't even feel like the Kate I knew eight years ago.

ITA agree with this. i think they destroyed SC initially with all the 'world-famous' doctor propping and surfer dude talk. pairing him with chelsea was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. i'm not interested in his romance with kate, because frankly, he's already been set up as a total douchebag who targets ill women patients to sleep with. how am i supposed to root for him, even though he's finally in a an appropriate relationship? in a word, i can't.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05

Everyone wants different things and that is the problem with Days. Some want the romantic adventure/supercouple stuff, some want realism, some want gothic/camp/etc, some want a mixture of things. There won't be pleasing everyone and I just hope the show realizes that because when they try to please everyone they fuck up royally and the show becomes directionless.

:hail: :applause: :hail:

You are always so spot on with this point!!!!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

luvpumpkns
Oct 17 2008, 05:57 AM
Kenny

ITA agree with this. i think they destroyed SC initially with all the 'world-famous' doctor propping and surfer dude talk. pairing him with chelsea was pretty much the final nail in the coffin. i'm not interested in his romance with kate, because frankly, he's already been set up as a total douchebag who targets ill women patients to sleep with. how am i supposed to root for him, even though he's finally in a an appropriate relationship? in a word, i can't.
Now, if they would EXPLORE this particular syndrome he's got and USE it, then they'd have a story...this targeting ill women. I mean, so many viewers note this (according to boards)...why not take it and run with it and give us a Daniel story with a background we can sink our teeth into? But..........no.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Oct 17 2008, 06:09 AM.

Kyrai

Kenny
I've watched the last few episodes and I just can't stand what I'm seeing.

I feel like if Days manages to survive another five years, we'll be looking back on this era thinking, "What the HELL was THAT?" Just like we do with Higley's 2003 stories.

None of it feels like Days of Our Lives. None of it.

Lucas and Chloe are just gross and contrived. The character of Sami is completely lost. Stephanie and Max need to move to Mars already, and they can take Melanie with them.

The story with Abe and Lexie has surprisingly come together, but it's not compelling to me. I don't care about Abe running for mayor or whatever, and the guy with the camera approaching Lexie in the park was just stupid. It just doesn't "feel" like a Days story. I mean, I can handle stories like this as long as they aren't painfully boring, but from what I've seen, that's exactly what it is.

The only people I can stand to watch are Nicole and EJ, and even with that I feel like the writing for Nicole is reaching a little far to make her the sympathetic character. In fact, I have suspicions that the only reason I enjoyed their scenes was because they took place in the DiMera Mansion, a set which brings back great memories and warm tinglies.

Where is the show that I used to recognize and love? Every time Dena Higley is at the helm, this show seems to completely lose its identity and I find myself not caring about characters that I used to be crazy about.

I really should stop watching classic clips on YouTube because it only manages to highlight just how shitty the show is in its current state. Compared to the work that we were seeing from Higley three months ago, I'll agree that what we're seeing now is much more watchable by comparison. But we're comparing shit to diarrhea here. Days could and should be so much more.

Sigh...
Word! :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
I agree everyone likes different things, but are we getting any of these things?

Fuzzy

ladyofthelake
Oct 17 2008, 06:09 AM
luvpumpkns
Kenny

Now, if they would EXPLORE this particular syndrome he's got and USE it, then they'd have a story...this targeting ill women. I mean, so many viewers note this (according to boards)...why not take it and run with it and give us a Daniel story with a background we can sink our teeth into? But..........no.
ICAM. I couldn't figure out why Date bothers me so much since Daniel is finally in an appropriate relationship. But you nailed it.

And you're right. If they actually address this issue, it would make a great story. But that would mean giving up on Daniel as a "hero." And I don't see them doing that.

darraholic
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 01:08 AM
Just a little tidbit about tomorrow's show...

Lexie DIMERA makes a brief appearance :biggrin: .

I LOVED IT. It was nice seeing Evil Lexie resurface. I'd take back every bad thing I said about Higs if she turned Lexie evil again.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Oct 17 2008, 07:35 AM
PhoenixRising05
I agree everyone likes different things, but are we getting any of these things?
Well, obviously some are because not everyone in this thread or on the message boards are hating the show LOL. Also, while ratings are terrible for everyone, the show is doing ok there too and most people I know off the boards are enjoying the show most days. Like I said, it just comes down to what your looking for and the major problem with Days is because of all the writing changes in the past 15-20 years so many fans want different things, styles, etc because that is what they got used to and enjoyed. My hope is Days has understood they can't please them all because when they try to they don't commit to anything and the show lacks direction. They can combine some elements and please as many as they feel they can but trying to please everyone never works well.

Days4Life

Fuzzy
Oct 17 2008, 08:51 AM
ladyofthelake
Oct 17 2008, 06:09 AM
luvpumpkns
Kenny

ICAM. I couldn't figure out why Date bothers me so much since Daniel is finally in an appropriate relationship. But you nailed it.

And you're right. If they actually address this issue, it would make a great story. But that would mean giving up on Daniel as a "hero." And I don't see them doing that.
Although I would hate for the actor to lose his job, I wish they would just write off Daniel Jonas. I think he's been a complete waste of time. It's not the actor's fault; it's that the writers have made a total mess of his character from day one. There are still interesting things they could do with him, but I don't care. Cure Kate, send Daniel off to some surfer's paradise, and give her a story with someone who deserves her.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Phoenix, could I ask that you stop giving perviews for the next day? I've gone back to not reading the day ahead previews, nor do I watch the episode a day ahead. And I'm finding myself enjoying the show much more. I like to be surprised. Take yesterday's episode for example. Had you not told me about Lucas and Sami's discussion about her asking him to be the father of her baby, I would have been blown away and loved every minute of it. But instead, you saw the episode ahead of time and started talking about it. Could you stop doing that? Stop talking about the episode that hasn't aired yet.

Keep giving us your in depth review of the day's episode, but I only ask that you stop giving previews for the next day. They're ruining it for me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Oct 17 2008, 12:39 PM
Phoenix, could I ask that you stop giving perviews for the next day? I've gone back to not reading the day ahead previews, nor do I watch the episode a day ahead. And I'm finding myself enjoying the show much more. I like to be surprised. Take yesterday's episode for example. Had you not told me about Lucas and Sami's discussion about her asking him to be the father of her baby, I would have been blown away and loved every minute of it. But instead, you saw the episode ahead of time and started talking about it. Could you stop doing that? Stop talking about the episode that hasn't aired yet.

Keep giving us your in depth review of the day's episode, but I only ask that you stop giving previews for the next day. They're ruining it for me.
I'm sorry, Drew.

I used to just hint at things but the last two days I have been far too descriptive. I apologize. I guess I get excited and just wanted to help others get excited too. I do want to say though that others have done this before too in the past and it was no big deal and I did post my comments in the early part of today and it is technically the day the episode is airing on so I don't think it's technically a spoiler unless I'm sitting there mentioning it the day before. Darraholic responded to it too and sometimes people will mention the next day's episode since people have access to it whether it be online or by living in Canada. However, your right in that I'm being way too detailed so I will stop doing that out of respect for you and will try to keep it vague or use spoiler tags or something if I do comment on the next episode. :smile:

Days4Life

I would appreciate that, too, Phoenix, as I've been having to skip over your posts the last few days so I don't get spoiled for the next day. I've been spending way too much time on the computer this week and have discovered that several people see the day's episode before I do. I like reading your recaps and thoughts because sometimes you see things differently than I do, so I don't want to have to continue skipping over them if I'm on the board the early part of the day.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry, Drew.

I used to just hint at things but the last two days I have been far too descriptive. I apologize. I guess I get excited and just wanted to help others get excited too. I do want to say though that others have done this before too in the past and it was no big deal and I did post my comments in the early part of today and it is technically the day the episode is airing on so I don't think it's technically a spoiler unless I'm sitting there mentioning it the day before. Darraholic responded to it too and sometimes people will mention the next day's episode since people have access to it whether it be online or by living in Canada. However, your right in that I'm being way too detailed so I will stop doing that out of respect for you and will try to keep it vague or use spoiler tags or something if I do comment on the next episode. :smile:
I understand why you're doing it. You watch the episode ahead of time and if you're happy about it, you want to discuss it. Perhaps you should just start watching the actual day's episode and not watch it ahead of time. It's so much better, I've found. But that's your personal decision.

And I get that you're trying to get other people excited about the next day's episode, but that's really not your job. It comes off as a desperate plea to get others to watch the show. It's as if you're DAYS promotion manager or something, LOL! That's not meant to offend you either. That's just the way your posts about the next episodes comes off, giving off everything that's supposed to happen and highlighting what you think will make people watch the next day. Believe me, Phoenix, people will watch the next day if they want to. They don't need to be pushed to watch the next episode.

But thanks for understanding where I'm coming from. I don't know if it's the writing, or if it's me not reading everything that's going to happen in the next episode, but I'm finding myself enjoying DAYS so much more the last month. I haven't read a day ahead preview or watch an episode a day ahead since, like, Sepetmeber, maybe even August? It's just better that way.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Not offended at all, Drew. I understand what your saying.

Your right. I watch the episode and my first instinct is to discuss it, whether it's good or bad. Of course, with me, it's usually good LOL. However, the last few days I've been giving away too much. It's one thing to come in here and say "Don't miss tomorrow" or something like that. Keeping it vague is how I was doing it for awhile because it just happened to come up in my posting for the episode that aired. That is what I am going to try to do, if I do comment.

The purpose behind it was not to get people to watch. Most people will do it on their own. I just want to discuss the episode once I've seen it LOL. Sure, if I see many people in the thread hating an episode or unhappy with it, I say something like it's better tomorrow or something. I know it's not my job to do it but damn if it was I could do it well LOL. It's a wonder why someone from NBC or Days hasn't noticed how I post by now. I mean, seriously...I may as well work for them with my enthusiasm and obsession when it comes to Days :laugh: .

Spoilers never bother me nor does the day ahead but I do advocate that people go unspoiled. They don't bother me or ruin the show for me but I do know they can for others. That is why for years I've said the show needs to cut it out with the detailed spoilers and day aheads. For many, it would make a world of difference. It does make the show better and I'm glad it has for you.

I will stop rambling now. No worries...I will keep my lips sealed from now on unless someone wants to know :smile: .

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Thanks.

jane1978

Technicall question. Is the budget better, or is Tomlin better at saving/remodeling? Because yesterday we actually saw Nicol´s hotel room, we saw the abortion clinic, we saw the Kiriakis pool, we saw Nicol´s new room today (and poor Stephano having to spend time there while Nicol/EJ were romping downstairs :)) and from the promo it looks like Melanie will finally get her own room too.

Plus there were some simple "extemporary" sets like the Saxton´s checkroom and Mayor´s office. I like that.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I enjoyed today's show!
Loved me some Lexie and Stefano, and you were right...Lexie was back a bit today. I love Lexie like that! I don't like sweet, docile Lexie like she has been...I like a little bit of bad ass in my Lexie.
So really, whoever is writing now, we have my Lucas back and my Lexie visiting! It's been great!

EJ and Nicole dancing around the same thing again, and Nicole coming off as a little bit desperate, but if it gets EJ to disrobe her, then I am sure she will keep it up. Pretty hot stuff for a man who seems to be pining over Sami, but he IS a man!

Loved Chloe finding out and slapping Lucas...and their scene was pretty decent. Glad Chloe finds out because it add another perspective, and maybe Sami will be forced to tell someone.

Sami is still driving me crazy. I know she keeps harping on being so afraid of Stefano, but really. He has tamed a bit, EJ is vigilant over Johnny, John Black is on her side, Marlena and Roman are paying attention, Tony and Anna are living with them...what is the big friggin deal about Stefano? Her little back and forth (I can't tell him, I need to tell him, I will tell him the truth, etc.) is driving me crazy. End it already!!!

Melanie/Stephanie was a little obnoxious but maybe it is because I really can't stand Steph and Melanie grates on me a bit. I so look forward to Max dumping Steph's ass coming up! They need a break...or really, I do.

Good show today, excellent cliff hanger...

And Pheonix - for what it is worth, I really look forward to the next days shows when you give a little preview and you get all excited!!! But that is just me!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply