Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: November Sweeps
Topic Started: Oct 16 2008, 07:38 AM (7,805 Views)
FanODays

One thing is clear and that is one way Days is saving money is by not using the vets. The J&M story is only shown a day or two a week, Bope and Payla only support other stories (and the Bope fans thought it was bad when they played supporting roles to Shelle!).

Days better have some kick ass way to tell these stories otherwise they will be battling with GL for last place. The one storyline, Lumi vs EJami seems to be a thing of the past so who knows what TIIC are thinking!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

I think these vague spoilers show that a lot of things are up in the air right now. I agree with Phoenix that it's likely Nadia and Bryan were both on the chopping block and the regime change saved them...at least for now. Firings are likely because it's a large cast and now we've got two new contract roles (Brady and Rafael), but right now I'd say stories are in flux and any firings are on hold or being changed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Oct 16 2008, 02:59 PM
One thing is clear and that is one way Days is saving money is by not using the vets. The J&M story is only shown a day or two a week, Bope and Payla only support other stories (and the Bope fans thought it was bad when they played supporting roles to Shelle!).

Days better have some kick ass way to tell these stories otherwise they will be battling with GL for last place. The one storyline, Lumi vs EJami seems to be a thing of the past so who knows what TIIC are thinking!
Well, they are using Bo and John alot. That usually does happen though. Every year the show seems to let one or two vets go over their guarantees and the rest are limited. I've actually been shocked by the fact that Marlena has been on as much as she has. I honestly expected little to no Marlena at all until November but they've been playing her at least twice a week, which is good IMO to keep the story relevant. It does seem like whoever is writing Bo and Hope seem to get some material no matter what. I know Hope has been off most of this month but you just know she will be featured a ton in November and December. It wouldn't surprise me if they let her go above her guarantee too. Drake, until the last two years, was always one that made alot of appearances. He was one of the vets that always seemed to go above what one would think the limit is so I'm not shocked he's still being used quite alot. The character has a new energy and it's easy to write for him so that helps.

What I can't believe is why the show isn't using Steve, Kayla, and Tony more. I understand Anna because she is recurring but Tony, Steve, and Kayla should be used. The three actors are well under guarantee so why not use them when the others are being given a break? That makes no sense to me. You may as well use them if you have a guarantee for them.

I do have to commend the show on using Abe and Lexie alot and on using Stefano a fair amount. I also like that Maggie is being used more of late and that Mickey is being used for some things. I've also been happy with the use of Victor and Caroline this year so that is a positive too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Days4Life
Oct 16 2008, 03:10 PM
I think these vague spoilers show that a lot of things are up in the air right now. I agree with Phoenix that it's likely Nadia and Bryan were both on the chopping block and the regime change saved them...at least for now. Firings are likely because it's a large cast and now we've got two new contract roles (Brady and Rafael), but right now I'd say stories are in flux and any firings are on hold or being changed.
I also have this suspicion that they may not know where to cut. It's clear cuts need to be made and the fact that the show said "the vet is on the bubble" tells me they are indecisive. Of there is anything to be learned from Days in the past few years, they seem very hesitant to get rid of anyone that has been around for awhile or that is a core character with history. I mean, how often have they changed their minds and brought someone back?

I think they are going back and forth and probably had settled on Bryan and Nadia but then changed their minds and are back to square one. I also think with Jay's contract up in the air and James Scott's as well they are kind of in limbo again. I think that is why we have Galen and Eric coming on more then anything else because the show wants a contingency plan in case one or both bolt. Maybe that is why they are keeping Bryan until they know what happens with James or Jay? It's a possibility. The show may also be waiting until after the holidays.

The writing team is still rounding into shape, stories are getting direction...things are coming together so while I do think alot more will happen in November then what is being said here, I also think this will be a reserved sweeps, meaning don't expect something huge. Maybe just some big moments, story twists, etc.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Boring.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Vets have an episode limit? I have never heard of that.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Sindacco
Oct 16 2008, 03:57 PM
I think they get paid overtime if they are used more than a certain number of episodes.

daisysmommy

Tripp
Oct 16 2008, 04:01 PM
Sindacco
I think they get paid overtime if they are used more than a certain number of episodes.
I've had it. Wake me if the writers get a clue. The SOW article alone was enough to make me de-DVR.
J&M divorce? WTF? They can go blow. I have better things to do than watch tv that delivers nothing but hurl-worthy crap. And that's pretty much what I have experienced with limited exception in 08.

I'll keep reading DR to see if there's ever a reason to tune back in...

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2008, 03:19 PM
Days4Life
I also have this suspicion that they may not know where to cut. It's clear cuts need to be made and the fact that the show said "the vet is on the bubble" tells me they are indecisive. Of there is anything to be learned from Days in the past few years, they seem very hesitant to get rid of anyone that has been around for awhile or that is a core character with history. I mean, how often have they changed their minds and brought someone back?

I think they are going back and forth and probably had settled on Bryan and Nadia but then changed their minds and are back to square one. I also think with Jay's contract up in the air and James Scott's as well they are kind of in limbo again. I think that is why we have Galen and Eric coming on more then anything else because the show wants a contingency plan in case one or both bolt. Maybe that is why they are keeping Bryan until they know what happens with James or Jay? It's a possibility. The show may also be waiting until after the holidays.

The writing team is still rounding into shape, stories are getting direction...things are coming together so while I do think alot more will happen in November then what is being said here, I also think this will be a reserved sweeps, meaning don't expect something huge. Maybe just some big moments, story twists, etc.
Maybe Days is going to dump JS because of his vocalness about the writing and that is why they brought in Gering.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I know I've heard before that JS has said he was unhappy with the writing, but did he ever specify exactly what was making him unhappy? To be clear, I'm not asking for fans' interpretations of which storyline or what aspects might have made him unhappy--I only want to know if there is any record of the man's remarks and how specific he was. I think there's a lot of speculation, which I've done myself, but what are the hard facts about what he said, and when and where did he say it?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Oct 16 2008, 04:01 PM
Sindacco
Yep. Well, it's not overtime but it's basically like how you would pay a recurring star like LeAnn Hunley. Again, I'm not an expert but I do know that if they go over their guarantees it's almost like your paying them per appearance. Your budget takes a major hit if you let more then a few go over the limit. That is why soaps worry about it now and Days has to deal with it more then anyone because they have alot of vets. As I said, usually one or two (in rare occasions three) are allowed to go above the limit but it's usually not by much because you have to pay them for those appearances. Part of the reason for guarantees is for the actor or actress to be guaranteed to see work but for the show it also allows them to know how much they need to set aside to pay for the actors and actresses. If too many go above the guarantee, then the budget takes a major hit and it may hurt the show in regards to the year that follows and can lead to further cutting down the line.

I should also add that the misuse of Steve, Kayla, and Tony is dumb because they are guaranteed a certain amount so use them for that amount. They are way under where I would think their limit is. This is something I learned last year when some of the vets were barely used. You may as well use them for what is guaranteed in their contract. Having them be way under guarantee is just counterproductive in many ways IMO.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Oct 16 2008, 04:20 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2008, 03:19 PM
Days4Life

Maybe Days is going to dump JS because of his vocalness about the writing and that is why they brought in Gering.
I doubt it. They love the guy. EJ has been on the frontburner nonstop since he came on. I've never seen a new character and actor get that sort of attention and airtime right off the bat with Days. They will do what they can to keep him. They will probably put forth more of an effort to keep him then Jay, although I think they want to keep him too as they have been using him a ton.

Mason
Member Avatar

God, I just knew November "sweeps" was gonna be lame.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2008, 04:27 PM

I should also add that the misuse of Steve, Kayla, and Tony is dumb because they are guaranteed a certain amount so use them for that amount. They are way under where I would think their limit is. This is something I learned last year when some of the vets were barely used. You may as well use them for what is guaranteed in their contract. Having them be way under guarantee is just counterproductive in many ways IMO.
That's true but I think it's on a yearly basis not a monthly. So if the show is cash poor for the next few weeks, they probaby reduce the number of times they use vets for episodes. Of course they can only do that for so long before they have to use the vets or risk shelling out the money for no work.

I think another problem is Dena's stories earlier this year cost a lot of money. She used most of the vets very heavily on (which is probably why the show can reduce their workload now since they got many of their quota in), especially the DHs. So while Hogan's ratings went down on him last year, he wasn't busting the budget most of the time while Dena did that for several months in a row.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Oct 16 2008, 04:32 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2008, 04:27 PM

That's true but I think it's on a yearly basis not a monthly. So if the show is cash poor for the next few weeks, they probaby reduce the number of times they use vets for episodes. Of course they can only do that for so long before they have to use the vets or risk shelling out the money for no work.

I think another problem is Dena's stories earlier this year cost a lot of money. She used most of the vets very heavily on (which is probably why the show can reduce their workload now since they got many of their quota in), especially the DHs. So while Hogan's ratings went down on him last year, he wasn't busting the budget most of the time while Dena did that for several months in a row.
Exactly, which is why I said back last winter to expect very few vets at some point this year. I thought for sure in summer we would see like no vets at all yet Bo, Hope, John, Marlena, etc got some good airtime so I think we are in the lull now. As I said, I'm shocked by how much they are using Marlena. It's not a whole lot but it's more then expected. I fully expect Peter, Drake, and Kristian to be used. I think if anyone goes over guarantee, it's those 3. They usually do go over, actually.

I don't think the show is poor though and I still think it's stupid not to use Steve, Kayla, and Tony. Again, they likely have the money set aside for their guarantees so just use them and then you can have them essentially fill in for Marlena, Hope, Bo, etc if you have to rest them for a bit.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Oct 16 2008, 07:38 AM
Source: SOW

Please link to DR:

Days November Sweeps:

With two unsolved murders at the storyline forefront and a major marriage ending, there are plenty of twists and turns in store for the denizens of Salem. It all spells out a mighty November sweeps.

John hires Steve to find the mayor's killer, much to Kayla's chagrin.

Nicole's innocence or guilt in Trent's murder remains a mystery.

Sami meets her match in her new guard, Rafael.

Melanie puts the brakes on Nick's interest in her, until it appears he might be able to make her some money.

John and Marlena discuss the fact that their divorce is final and analyze what it means for their future.

Bo and Hope discover Trent's killer.

Philip offers Stephanie an internship at Titan.

Chloe thinks she's happy with Lucas, but is she really happier with Brady?

The new mayor of Salem is announced.

Sami has another man to obsess over...

Melanie/Nick? Blah!

John and Marlena still at a sandstill...

Chloe/Lucas/Brady?

God, this all sounds lame, LoL.

daisysmommy

Kenny
Oct 16 2008, 05:48 PM
Jonatha
Oct 16 2008, 07:38 AM
Source: SOW

Please link to DR:

Days November Sweeps:

With two unsolved murders at the storyline forefront and a major marriage ending, there are plenty of twists and turns in store for the denizens of Salem. It all spells out a mighty November sweeps.

John hires Steve to find the mayor's killer, much to Kayla's chagrin.

Nicole's innocence or guilt in Trent's murder remains a mystery.

Sami meets her match in her new guard, Rafael.

Melanie puts the brakes on Nick's interest in her, until it appears he might be able to make her some money.

John and Marlena discuss the fact that their divorce is final and analyze what it means for their future.

Bo and Hope discover Trent's killer.

Philip offers Stephanie an internship at Titan.

Chloe thinks she's happy with Lucas, but is she really happier with Brady?

The new mayor of Salem is announced.

Sami has another man to obsess over...

Melanie/Nick? Blah!

John and Marlena still at a sandstill...

Chloe/Lucas/Brady?

God, this all sounds lame, LoL.
Amen!

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I'm going to wait and judge after I watch.....
The Philip/Stephanie thing is intriguing, though. Didn't JKJ hint at the Emmys that he wanted to work more with Shelley? Like someone mentioned, this might have had something to do with his negotiations.

James Scott........I really wouldn't be surprised if he walked. If I recall correctly, he liked the dark EJ, and this ain't cuttin' it. I still wonder if the whole "vet on the bubble" thing was just a bunch of hooey put out to catch leaks.

I so agree that Steve, Kayla, and Tony have been terribly underused, especially with this whole supposed Dimera battle.

It's possible, that once the changing of the guard settles, more will come out.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Paxton
Oct 16 2008, 04:26 PM
I know I've heard before that JS has said he was unhappy with the writing, but did he ever specify exactly what was making him unhappy? To be clear, I'm not asking for fans' interpretations of which storyline or what aspects might have made him unhappy--I only want to know if there is any record of the man's remarks and how specific he was. I think there's a lot of speculation, which I've done myself, but what are the hard facts about what he said, and when and where did he say it?
I know he has made comments at fan events that EJ needed to get his balls back. He has said that for awhile now...so I don't think it is anything new.
Most of the comments that he has made about his contract and not liking the writing has been at fan events, I believe. Nothing in the rags or anything like that.

In a photo shoot interview, he praised the new headwriter and was excited about the way thing were going, but said that he didn't know what direction the character of EJ was going to take or what the plans for the future were for EJ.
Don't know if that is because there aren't any plans for him...or the stories haven't been written yet.

He is such a fan favorite...or should I say popular character to talk about...that I doubt Days would let him go easily.

ericfan400

What about this with Brady and Chloe. I remember that Chloe said once that her married to Brady hell (or something like that). Are they getting back together

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply