Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: November Sweeps
Topic Started: Oct 16 2008, 07:38 AM (7,531 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Alligato
Oct 16 2008, 06:29 PM
Paxton
Oct 16 2008, 04:26 PM
I know I've heard before that JS has said he was unhappy with the writing, but did he ever specify exactly what was making him unhappy? To be clear, I'm not asking for fans' interpretations of which storyline or what aspects might have made him unhappy--I only want to know if there is any record of the man's remarks and how specific he was. I think there's a lot of speculation, which I've done myself, but what are the hard facts about what he said, and when and where did he say it?
I know he has made comments at fan events that EJ needed to get his balls back. He has said that for awhile now...so I don't think it is anything new.
Most of the comments that he has made about his contract and not liking the writing has been at fan events, I believe. Nothing in the rags or anything like that.

In a photo shoot interview, he praised the new headwriter and was excited about the way thing were going, but said that he didn't know what direction the character of EJ was going to take or what the plans for the future were for EJ.
Don't know if that is because there aren't any plans for him...or the stories haven't been written yet.

He is such a fan favorite...or should I say popular character to talk about...that I doubt Days would let him go easily.
What if he's entertaining other offers?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nicole Walker

I can't wait for Brady to return. Eric and Nadia are beautiful but do they have chemistry?

Kenny
Member Avatar

Nicole Dimera
Oct 16 2008, 10:26 PM
I can't wait for Brady to return. Eric and Nadia are beautiful but do they have chemistry?
At first it'll be a disaster.

She'll realize what a horrible actor he is... he'll realize what a horrible actress she is, and they'll both be thinking, "Shit, I have to make magic with THIS dumb fuck?"

Then they'll realize that together, they share a common flaw: they're BOTH horrible actors! From there, they'll bond over it... the chemistry will explode and then just about the time we come to tolerate them, Ken Corday will fire one or both of them and leave us wondering, "What the hell was the point in that?"

jane1978

ladyofthelake
Oct 16 2008, 06:23 PM
The Philip/Stephanie thing is intriguing, though. Didn't JKJ hint at the Emmys that he wanted to work more with Shelley? Like someone mentioned, this might have had something to do with his negotiations.
I definitely think that is the case. JKJ was always very reserved regards his pairing with Morgan and bum, Morgan is gone. And he seems to be very close with Shelley in RL and bum, out of the blue she enters his storyline?

But, Im not complaining. Phillip/Steph pairing has a fantastic possibilities and could be a great story to watch, much better than him getting together with Chloe again. And Im really happy Phillip will not fall back into Phloe vs. Broe hell. Poor Lucas.

Kyrai

Kenny
Oct 17 2008, 01:39 AM
Nicole Dimera

She'll realize what a horrible actor he is... he'll realize what a horrible actress she is, and they'll both be thinking, "Shit, I have to make magic with THIS dumb fuck?"

Then they'll realize that together, they share a common flaw: they're BOTH horrible actors! From there, they'll bond over it... the chemistry will explode and then just about the time we come to tolerate them, Ken Corday will fire one or both of them and leave us wondering, "What the hell was the point in that?"
LOL!

I don't know much about Eric, but I was hoping he'd be good. I love the idea of Brady being back.

I watched Galen briefly on Passions, and all I can say is I hope he's improved. I could barely stand to see him on previews that came on during Days.

Mason

Kenny
Nicole Dimera

LoL! I love you.

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2008, 03:14 PM
FanODays
Oct 16 2008, 02:59 PM
One thing is clear and that is one way Days is saving money is by not using the vets. The J&M story is only shown a day or two a week, Bope and Payla only support other stories (and the Bope fans thought it was bad when they played supporting roles to Shelle!).

Days better have some kick ass way to tell these stories otherwise they will be battling with GL for last place. The one storyline, Lumi vs EJami seems to be a thing of the past so who knows what TIIC are thinking!
Well, they are using Bo and John alot. That usually does happen though. Every year the show seems to let one or two vets go over their guarantees and the rest are limited. I've actually been shocked by the fact that Marlena has been on as much as she has. I honestly expected little to no Marlena at all until November but they've been playing her at least twice a week, which is good IMO to keep the story relevant. It does seem like whoever is writing Bo and Hope seem to get some material no matter what. I know Hope has been off most of this month but you just know she will be featured a ton in November and December. It wouldn't surprise me if they let her go above her guarantee too. Drake, until the last two years, was always one that made alot of appearances. He was one of the vets that always seemed to go above what one would think the limit is so I'm not shocked he's still being used quite alot. The character has a new energy and it's easy to write for him so that helps.

What I can't believe is why the show isn't using Steve, Kayla, and Tony more. I understand Anna because she is recurring but Tony, Steve, and Kayla should be used. The three actors are well under guarantee so why not use them when the others are being given a break? That makes no sense to me. You may as well use them if you have a guarantee for them.

I do have to commend the show on using Abe and Lexie alot and on using Stefano a fair amount. I also like that Maggie is being used more of late and that Mickey is being used for some things. I've also been happy with the use of Victor and Caroline this year so that is a positive too.
There is a difference between using the actor/character and them having a front burner storyline. Even the J&M storyline isn't front burner although based on the number of articles on it, etc. one would think it was. Melanie has a more front burner storyline than Marlena and that is one of my numerous issues with the show.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

FanODays
Oct 17 2008, 08:15 AM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 16 2008, 03:14 PM
FanODays
Oct 16 2008, 02:59 PM
One thing is clear and that is one way Days is saving money is by not using the vets. The J&M story is only shown a day or two a week, Bope and Payla only support other stories (and the Bope fans thought it was bad when they played supporting roles to Shelle!).

Days better have some kick ass way to tell these stories otherwise they will be battling with GL for last place. The one storyline, Lumi vs EJami seems to be a thing of the past so who knows what TIIC are thinking!
Well, they are using Bo and John alot. That usually does happen though. Every year the show seems to let one or two vets go over their guarantees and the rest are limited. I've actually been shocked by the fact that Marlena has been on as much as she has. I honestly expected little to no Marlena at all until November but they've been playing her at least twice a week, which is good IMO to keep the story relevant. It does seem like whoever is writing Bo and Hope seem to get some material no matter what. I know Hope has been off most of this month but you just know she will be featured a ton in November and December. It wouldn't surprise me if they let her go above her guarantee too. Drake, until the last two years, was always one that made alot of appearances. He was one of the vets that always seemed to go above what one would think the limit is so I'm not shocked he's still being used quite alot. The character has a new energy and it's easy to write for him so that helps.

What I can't believe is why the show isn't using Steve, Kayla, and Tony more. I understand Anna because she is recurring but Tony, Steve, and Kayla should be used. The three actors are well under guarantee so why not use them when the others are being given a break? That makes no sense to me. You may as well use them if you have a guarantee for them.

I do have to commend the show on using Abe and Lexie alot and on using Stefano a fair amount. I also like that Maggie is being used more of late and that Mickey is being used for some things. I've also been happy with the use of Victor and Caroline this year so that is a positive too.
There is a difference between using the actor/character and them having a front burner storyline. Even the J&M storyline isn't front burner although based on the number of articles on it, etc. one would think it was. Melanie has a more front burner storyline than Marlena and that is one of my numerous issues with the show.
I wouldn't say that. Melanie has been front burner for the past few weeks while Marlena was on pretty much all of August and a fair part of September. She's in somewhat of a lull right now but still getting a good amount of appearances for her since usually the show would be backburnering her given her appearances thus far. The J&M story will pick up but once this Trent murder ends, Melanie will just have the story with Nick and that isn't going to be played everyday or even most of the week. Hell, it's not like Melanie is dominating airtime right now. She was on three days this week and I believe that has pretty much been her limit per week except for the week of Trent's murder and the week after when the story was getting going.

The one thing that Higley has done is a good job with the balance. I do wish she calmed down earlier this year with the vets so they wouldn't be where they are but she usually alternates what the A story is each month and also has months where many stories are given a fair amount of focus. She does well with cast balance and my hope in 2009 is that she controls the use of vets better so we don't have to have any major lulls from them.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I had never heard of this "Vet limits" thing before Phoenix. I remember like two years ago I was reading an article about salaries on soaps and how actors that left and then came back would have the same kind of paycheck as "newbies".

Here is the acrticle (it's in swedish but I can translate one part of it)

"When stars return to a soap after a longer paus they are expected to agree to take a paycut. Even though characters like Carrie and Billie on Days are wellknow to the viewers, they aren't paid more then newbies when they are back! A well documented example is Hunter Tylo, that sank from royalty-status to middle class-salaried employee when her popular character, Taylor, returned to B&B after a few years absence. But Taylors popularity have sankt drastic since her return, so Tylo will probably not be able to demand a bigger paycheck anytime soon."

Stars that had to agree on paycuts:
Christie Clark (Carrie, Days), Billy Warlock (Frankie, Days), Hunter Tylo (Taylor, Glamour), Tracey Bregman (Lauren, Y&R), Matthew Asford (Jack, Days), Julie Pinson (Billie, Days).

http://www.days.nu/bakom_kulisserna/sapastjarnornas-loner-avslojas.php

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I remember reading that too, Sindacco. That is why you tend to see some of those actors and actresses used more

SN and MBE took a pay cut too and that is why I don't understand the lack of use of them either. I'm sure Thaoo took a cut as well. It just makes no sense. They are likely cheaper then the big 4 are so that it just makes no sense if they have guarantees and they are way under them not to use them. You can use them during lulls when Bo, Hope, Marlena, etc aren't featured a whole lot. It would help tide things over.

Fuzzy

Kenny
Nicole Dimera

Lol. The scary part is that I can see this happening...

KittyKat
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nicole Dimera

Baaahaaahaa :applause: . You must be psychic.

Kyrai

FanODays
Great point. There is a big difference between being on screen and on screen in a story. To me, lately J&M have mainly made appearances that often don't even relate to each other day to day. I admit some are good events, but when these events mean nothing to the overall story it seems like wasting them. The J&M story seems more like an afterthought to me.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Oct 17 2008, 11:34 AM
FanODays
Great point. There is a big difference between being on screen and on screen in a story. To me, lately J&M have mainly made appearances that often don't even relate to each other day to day. I admit some are good events, but when these events mean nothing to the overall story it seems like wasting them. The J&M story seems more like an afterthought to me.
I guess we really do see things differently.

I know the divorce talk is getting tedious but it does matter to the story, as does John telling Marlena about how he helped Nicole. Thursday's scenes definitely mattered as he told her he gave up the empire for her and that he loved her. He did everything she asked and now told her it was up to her. The Marlena/Kayla scenes and John/Nicole scenes matter too. We see how they are feeling in these scenes. I think every appearance matters. It's not like they are randomly tossing them onscreen. The story is dragging for sure but their appearances of late have mattered.

Steve and Kayla are the ones who get tossed onscreen with no purpose. They are the ones in desperate need of something LOL.

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 11:40 AM

I know the divorce talk is getting tedious but it does matter to the story, as does John telling Marlena about how he helped Nicole. Thursday's scenes definitely mattered as he told her he gave up the empire for her and that he loved her. He did everything she asked and now told her it was up to her. The Marlena/Kayla scenes and John/Nicole scenes matter too. We see how they are feeling in these scenes. I think every appearance matters. It's not like they are randomly tossing them onscreen. The story is dragging for sure but their appearances of late have mattered.

Steve and Kayla are the ones who get tossed onscreen with no purpose. They are the ones in desperate need of something LOL.
I was talking about all the waffling back and forth all summer as well as recent scenes.

What was the point of the scene where John empowered Marlena when Stefano was trying to humiliate her? Did those scenes move the story in any way? No, because just after it, all Marlena remembered was John hitting Trent, not John's very heartfelt words. That was a beautiful scene that went nowhere. As far as Marlena was concerned it didn't seem to have happened.

I love seeing Anna and Kayla, but those didn't move this story. All it did was show them realizing what Marlena SHOULD have already known. Where have Kayla and Anna been since? Where is the follow-up on any of the scenes between friends? Do Kayla and Anna even wonder about John's brain? Does anyone now? Do they still chat with Marlena as a friend?

Why have poor Drake having killer headaches then just drop them? I hope they'll get back to show how he's 'fixed', but the lack of follow-up shows that this is NOT a story the writers care about.

Random appearances? The Marlena/Roman/Sami scene was a waste. The Marlena/Chloe scene made no sense. I daresay Sami running up to whine to Marlena about EJ getting Nicole pregnant was a waste. Not that I don't see a mom/daughter discussing it, but the only thing that came out of their talk was Marlena saying she was just glad Sami wasn't pregnant.

Do you think John giving up the Dimera empire and signing the divorce papers is going to change Marlena's mind about the divorce? The next scene will just go the opposite way.

I'm not saying this is just true of J&M. That is how Higley writes. Look at the whole Ejami/Ejole/Lumi triangle. The writers don't write stories. They play with the viewers minds. I think they flip a coin each day to determine who is gonna love who during the next episode.

And I do agree that Payla doesn't get enough story. Neither do Tanna. I miss them! I thought Kayla was supposed to be an integral part to helping John. I think Payla have a lot in common with J&M and would add a ton to the story. But that doesn't change the fact that J&M being visible on the screen does not mean they have a front burner story. As I said, it's more like an afterthought to me, and half the time I don't think the writers remember where they left off.

Truthfully, these writers just don't write decent stories.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Oct 17 2008, 01:03 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 11:40 AM

I was talking about all the waffling back and forth all summer as well as recent scenes.

What was the point of the scene where John empowered Marlena when Stefano was trying to humiliate her? Did those scenes move the story in any way? No, because just after it, all Marlena remembered was John hitting Trent, not John's very heartfelt words. That was a beautiful scene that went nowhere. As far as Marlena was concerned it didn't seem to have happened.

I love seeing Anna and Kayla, but those didn't move this story. All it did was show them realizing what Marlena SHOULD have already known. Where have Kayla and Anna been since? Where is the follow-up on any of the scenes between friends? Do Kayla and Anna even wonder about John's brain? Does anyone now? Do they still chat with Marlena as a friend?

Why have poor Drake having killer headaches then just drop them? I hope they'll get back to show how he's 'fixed', but the lack of follow-up shows that this is NOT a story the writers care about.

Random appearances? The Marlena/Roman/Sami scene was a waste. The Marlena/Chloe scene made no sense. I daresay Sami running up to whine to Marlena about EJ getting Nicole pregnant was a waste. Not that I don't see a mom/daughter discussing it, but the only thing that came out of their talk was Marlena saying she was just glad Sami wasn't pregnant.

Do you think John giving up the Dimera empire and signing the divorce papers is going to change Marlena's mind about the divorce? The next scene will just go the opposite way.

I'm not saying this is just true of J&M. That is how Higley writes. Look at the whole Ejami/Ejole/Lumi triangle. The writers don't write stories. They play with the viewers minds. I think they flip a coin each day to determine who is gonna love who during the next episode.

And I do agree that Payla doesn't get enough story. Neither do Tanna. I miss them! I thought Kayla was supposed to be an integral part to helping John. I think Payla have a lot in common with J&M and would add a ton to the story. But that doesn't change the fact that J&M being visible on the screen does not mean they have a front burner story. As I said, it's more like an afterthought to me, and half the time I don't think the writers remember where they left off.

Truthfully, these writers just don't write decent stories.

Well, we all know why there was waffling back and forth. It was because of the behind the scenes clashing.

That scene where John empowered Marlena did mean something. It was really the first time he showed her signs that he was changing. That he would be there for her.

Through Kayla and Anna/Nicole, Marlena and John have voiced their feelings over the situation. They can't to each other because then they could wrap this thing up in an episode. Marlena thinks this is for the best and her reasoning was explained in scenes with Kayla and Anna. We also saw where John stands in his scenes with Anna and Nicole so they do mean something.

Everything you mentioned has furthered the story in my view but, then again, I'm one of the few who still thinks this whole J&M story has maintained a constant throughline the whole year so go figure. I guess we can't agree but that's fine. Each person can see a scene or story differently. It all comes back what we want from the show and the stories, really.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

How many more Sweeps periods are going to slip by with little to nothing happening on this show.

WHERE ARE THE EVENTS/CATASTROPHES/MAJOR PLOT TWISTS/MARRIAGES/DEATHS/SHOCKING REVEALS/RETURNS?

Instead we have no movement in the Nicole story. No movement in the J&M story just more conversations about dick piddly squat, no mentions of Stefano/Tony/Anna whatsoever, Bo/Hope reduced to simple cop duty and to top it all off Kayla is pissed off?

I want a new MYSTERY that involves the ENTIRE cast. I want something that is darker. I want something that has a slight unbelievable feeling to it.

The WRONG characters are getting story here. Dena FUCKING Higley needs to FUCKING go! And she can take "whats-his-face" with her!

WTF is going on here!

NOT impressed with these spoilers, I am PRAYING they turn out MUCH more exciting than they sound!
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Oct 17 2008, 05:31 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow....Mitch :laugh: .

I'm all for what your suggesting but I wouldn't expect that until December/January when the slate is clean and the show doesn't have to worry about contract guarantees. I wouldn't say the wrong characters are getting story because the show is balanced and it was all vets all the time early this year, which is why the show can't use some of them now because they used them too much early on this year.

The show does need some big things though like weddings, major reveals, etc. Not necessarily events but things to upset the applecart, so to speak. My hope is that we will start getting things like that soon now with the stories getting direction and finally going somewhere and the writing team coming into place.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 17 2008, 05:46 PM.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm all for what your suggesting but I wouldn't expect that until December/January when the slate is clean and the show doesn't have to worry about contract guarantees. I wouldn't say the wrong characters are getting story because the show is balanced and it was all vets all the time early this year, which is why the show can't use some of them now because they used them too much early on this year.
Everyone's contract is up in December?

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 05:45 PM
Wow....Mitch :laugh: .

The show does need some big things though like weddings, major reveals, etc. Not necessarily events but things to upset the applecart, so to speak. My hope is that we will start getting things like that soon now with the stories getting direction and finally going somewhere and the writing team coming into place.
You caught me in a bad mood.

The show is actually not THAT bad...but really though, this show needs a HUGE shot in the arm.

We need a spectacle, like I said, something unbelievable needs to happen to shake the show up.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply