Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Days: November Sweeps
Topic Started: Oct 16 2008, 07:38 AM (7,535 Views)
Ellie

Mitchapalooza
Oct 17 2008, 06:09 PM
You caught me in a bad mood.

The show is actually not THAT bad...but really though, this show needs a HUGE shot in the arm.

We need a spectacle, like I said, something unbelievable needs to happen to shake the show up.
LOL I was just about to quote you Mitch and say I agreed! Not sure why Days has been ignoring sweeps lately. They need a "big sweeps event", and they need one soon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kyrai

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 03:10 PM
Well, we all know why there was waffling back and forth. It was because of the behind the scenes clashing.

That scene where John empowered Marlena did mean something. It was really the first time he showed her signs that he was changing. That he would be there for her.

Through Kayla and Anna/Nicole, Marlena and John have voiced their feelings over the situation. They can't to each other because then they could wrap this thing up in an episode. Marlena thinks this is for the best and her reasoning was explained in scenes with Kayla and Anna. We also saw where John stands in his scenes with Anna and Nicole so they do mean something.

Everything you mentioned has furthered the story in my view but, then again, I'm one of the few who still thinks this whole J&M story has maintained a constant throughline the whole year so go figure. I guess we can't agree but that's fine. Each person can see a scene or story differently. It all comes back what we want from the show and the stories, really.
I do see parts of your points, but I agree to disagree overall. As I've said, I did like some of the scenes. My disappointment is the overall lack of story.

My point about the empowerment scene is that it has not seemed to mean anything to Marlena. She didn't mention it to Anna or Kayla when she talked to them. All she talked about was how bad John was and him hitting Trent. No point/counterpoint type of logic. It was a very important scene to me. It seemed like for Marlena it was forgotten. Had she seemed torn in the least, as in, why is he sometimes good sometimes bad, it would have meant more to me. It played more like a scene where she realizes there is just no hope for John because he is hopeless, when the last scene we saw between her and John before these talks was full of promise and hope. His words were sweet and wonderful and amazing. How would they not be on her mind?

I liked the Kayla and Anna scenes despite my thought that Marlena shouldn't have to be told not to give up by them. But where is the follow-up? They seem standalone, and some very good opportunities were missed. Kayla used to consider herself John's sister. They were close. Does she care that he may be dying? Did she mention what's going on to any of her family? Steve? Anyone??? John was like family at one time. He actually really is family now. John did save Steve's life on the plane. Kayla did steal John's kidney. Where is her angst? John could be dying, and all Kayla feels is sympathy for what Marlena is going thru?

And while I have no idea what was happening behind the scenes, to me it makes more sense that Ed was frustrated with the lack of direction and that's when he stepped in. The story got better imo during the time Ed supposedly stepped in. But I have no way of really knowing what happened.

Edited by Kyrai, Oct 17 2008, 08:25 PM.

Kyrai

Mitchapalooza
Oct 17 2008, 05:27 PM
How many more Sweeps periods are going to slip by with little to nothing happening on this show.

WHERE ARE THE EVENTS/CATASTROPHES/MAJOR PLOT TWISTS/MARRIAGES/DEATHS/SHOCKING REVEALS/RETURNS?

Instead we have no movement in the Nicole story. No movement in the J&M story just more conversations about dick piddly squat, no mentions of Stefano/Tony/Anna whatsoever, Bo/Hope reduced to simple cop duty and to top it all off Kayla is pissed off?

I want a new MYSTERY that involves the ENTIRE cast. I want something that is darker. I want something that has a slight unbelievable feeling to it.

The WRONG characters are getting story here. Dena FUCKING Higley needs to FUCKING go! And she can take "whats-his-face" with her!

WTF is going on here!

NOT impressed with these spoilers, I am PRAYING they turn out MUCH more exciting than they sound!
I think I love you. Thanks!

hops
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
How many more Sweeps periods are going to slip by with little to nothing happening on this show.

WHERE ARE THE EVENTS/CATASTROPHES/MAJOR PLOT TWISTS/MARRIAGES/DEATHS/SHOCKING REVEALS/RETURNS?

Instead we have no movement in the Nicole story. No movement in the J&M story just more conversations about dick piddly squat, no mentions of Stefano/Tony/Anna whatsoever, Bo/Hope reduced to simple cop duty and to top it all off Kayla is pissed off?

I want a new MYSTERY that involves the ENTIRE cast. I want something that is darker. I want something that has a slight unbelievable feeling to it.

The WRONG characters are getting story here. Dena FUCKING Higley needs to FUCKING go! And she can take "whats-his-face" with her!

WTF is going on here!

NOT impressed with these spoilers, I am PRAYING they turn out MUCH more exciting than they sound!
:rockon:

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Oct 17 2008, 05:54 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 05:45 PM
I'm all for what your suggesting but I wouldn't expect that until December/January when the slate is clean and the show doesn't have to worry about contract guarantees. I wouldn't say the wrong characters are getting story because the show is balanced and it was all vets all the time early this year, which is why the show can't use some of them now because they used them too much early on this year.
Everyone's contract is up in December?
No. In January, they can start over with appearances. It's a new year. In 2008, the show used the vets nonstop early on and that put them in a situation where the latter part of the year they were screwed. As I said, they can afford to let one or two go over guarantee but more then that means the budget takes a hit because the show will go over the amount it was expecting to use, meaning other areas would need to be cut and so on. My thinking based on what we know is we will see Bo, Hope, Marlena, etc sporadically through November. Bo and John will probably see a fair amount of airtime with Hope and Marlena here and there. December is always a big vet month so they will likely want to save enough appearances for that and they can build story from there and into the new year when they can start again with no budget concerns. Again, I just hope they balance things out better so this situation can be avoided. They do this too much.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mitchapalooza
PhoenixRising05
Wow....Mitch :laugh: .

I'm all for what your suggesting but I wouldn't expect that until December/January when the slate is clean and the show doesn't have to worry about contract guarantees. I wouldn't say the wrong characters are getting story because the show is balanced and it was all vets all the time early this year, which is why the show can't use some of them now because they used them too much early on this year.

The show does need some big things though like weddings, major reveals, etc. Not necessarily events but things to upset the applecart, so to speak. My hope is that we will start getting things like that soon now with the stories getting direction and finally going somewhere and the writing team coming into place.

The show is actually not THAT bad...but really though, this show needs a HUGE shot in the arm.

We need a spectacle, like I said, something unbelievable needs to happen to shake the show up.
I agree. However, they need to build stories first because they didn't do that in spring and summer because of all the shit behind the scenes. I don't want a stunt though. The show did a stunt back in February. Hell, they just did one in August with the lockdown. That is why I'm surprised. Some are acting like Days has done nothing in awhile for sweeps. February was huge. May had some big moments and did well ratings-wise. August had Bope's wedding and the lockdown. September had Trent's murder. I know some don't care about Trent but it's still something big. This isn't some extended lull of no action whatsoever. The stories are building and coming into place. The show is stabilizing after the hell of this spring and summer. Once it does and once the show knows what is going on with their budget situation (let's remember they have yet to be "officially" renewed), I think then they can worry about stunts and events and with Tomlin, Higley, and Whitesell there I expect to get them. They love those kinds of things.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kyrai
Oct 17 2008, 08:23 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 03:10 PM
Well, we all know why there was waffling back and forth. It was because of the behind the scenes clashing.

That scene where John empowered Marlena did mean something. It was really the first time he showed her signs that he was changing. That he would be there for her.

Through Kayla and Anna/Nicole, Marlena and John have voiced their feelings over the situation. They can't to each other because then they could wrap this thing up in an episode. Marlena thinks this is for the best and her reasoning was explained in scenes with Kayla and Anna. We also saw where John stands in his scenes with Anna and Nicole so they do mean something.

Everything you mentioned has furthered the story in my view but, then again, I'm one of the few who still thinks this whole J&M story has maintained a constant throughline the whole year so go figure. I guess we can't agree but that's fine. Each person can see a scene or story differently. It all comes back what we want from the show and the stories, really.
I do see parts of your points, but I agree to disagree overall. As I've said, I did like some of the scenes. My disappointment is the overall lack of story.

My point about the empowerment scene is that it has not seemed to mean anything to Marlena. She didn't mention it to Anna or Kayla when she talked to them. All she talked about was how bad John was and him hitting Trent. No point/counterpoint type of logic. It was a very important scene to me. It seemed like for Marlena it was forgotten. Had she seemed torn in the least, as in, why is he sometimes good sometimes bad, it would have meant more to me. It played more like a scene where she realizes there is just no hope for John because he is hopeless, when the last scene we saw between her and John before these talks was full of promise and hope. His words were sweet and wonderful and amazing. How would they not be on her mind?

I liked the Kayla and Anna scenes despite my thought that Marlena shouldn't have to be told not to give up by them. But where is the follow-up? They seem standalone, and some very good opportunities were missed. Kayla used to consider herself John's sister. They were close. Does she care that he may be dying? Did she mention what's going on to any of her family? Steve? Anyone??? John was like family at one time. He actually really is family now. John did save Steve's life on the plane. Kayla did steal John's kidney. Where is her angst? John could be dying, and all Kayla feels is sympathy for what Marlena is going thru?

And while I have no idea what was happening behind the scenes, to me it makes more sense that Ed was frustrated with the lack of direction and that's when he stepped in. The story got better imo during the time Ed supposedly stepped in. But I have no way of really knowing what happened.

Why would Marlena mention it to Kayla or Anna? She mentioned John was trying to convince her that he was trying to change, which was indirectly hinting at it. She only talked alot about Trent because she was concerned about John's behavior. One minute he's doing what he did in the empowerment scene and a few days before that he's punching Trent out of nowhere. She was confused over that at the time. That empowerment scene was just a start so expecting it to be some big turning point is a bit much. This past Thursday was a big turning point in that John made a drastic change for Marlena. She was torn. She was torn over the fact that she was going through with this divorce even though she really didn't want to but felt she had to. It's what she thinks is best.

Kayla cares he may be dying but she also has a little thing called doctor/patient confidentiality and let's remember they know nothing of John's condition. They've never seen anything like it before so they aren't even sure he is dying. They just know it's likely serious. She's not just going to run around telling people until they know something and even then it's Marlena who will have to say something as Kayla is his doctor.

Ed was stepping in for awhile. He and Higley were clashing from May on. Ed wasn't in complete control until late summer. The clashing and then his complete takeover of the writing was what led to no direction in stories for over 3 months. Regardless of Ed being frustrated, it's not right and he ended up doing far more harm then good.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Ellie
Oct 17 2008, 06:11 PM
Mitchapalooza

LOL I was just about to quote you Mitch and say I agreed! Not sure why Days has been ignoring sweeps lately. They need a "big sweeps event", and they need one soon.
Higley thought that the Blackout this summer was an umbrella story, so maybe she think this stuff are good events for the sweeps :shrug:

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Mitchapalooza
PhoenixRising05
Wow....Mitch :laugh: .

The show does need some big things though like weddings, major reveals, etc. Not necessarily events but things to upset the applecart, so to speak. My hope is that we will start getting things like that soon now with the stories getting direction and finally going somewhere and the writing team coming into place.

Exactly how I feel, DAYS needs a big event or catastrophe to take place. I think the show as a whole is actually pretty good right now, but the show needs a good bitch rivalry, some cheating, and maybe a shocking return to go along with a huge event. :lol:

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Oct 18 2008, 01:05 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
No. In January, they can start over with appearances. It's a new year. In 2008, the show used the vets nonstop early on and that put them in a situation where the latter part of the year they were screwed. As I said, they can afford to let one or two go over guarantee but more then that means the budget takes a hit because the show will go over the amount it was expecting to use, meaning other areas would need to be cut and so on. My thinking based on what we know is we will see Bo, Hope, Marlena, etc sporadically through November. Bo and John will probably see a fair amount of airtime with Hope and Marlena here and there. December is always a big vet month so they will likely want to save enough appearances for that and they can build story from there and into the new year when they can start again with no budget concerns. Again, I just hope they balance things out better so this situation can be avoided. They do this too much.

I really don't think that's correct. It's different for each actor, depending on the dates and terms of his/her contract.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Oct 18 2008, 10:30 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 18 2008, 01:05 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05

I really don't think that's correct. It's different for each actor, depending on the dates and terms of his/her contract.
Sometimes but it still comes down to the same thing as in using the actor or actress alot at the start of the year in their contract and not wanting to push past their guarantee. However, more or less what I'm focusing in on is when it comes to money allotted for the cast that comes out of the YEARLY budget, which from what I hear takes effect every January. That sort of ties in with the contracts because the money allotted could determine the way the show handles the cast and guarantees. That is what I mean by a clean slate and that is usually why you tend to see renewed usage of vets around that time. Just look at last year. Dee Hall's airtime exploded starting with the first episode of 2008. Same thing goes for the other vets. Usually if they use you alot at the beginning and middle of the year, you will barely see them on the latter end of the contract year. That is why I warn people that if you see alot of the bets all at once like that you will see a lull eventually and here we are in one.

hops
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
No movement in the J&M story just more conversations about dick piddly squat, no mentions of Stefano/Tony/Anna whatsoever, Bo/Hope reduced to simple cop duty and to top it all off Kayla is pissed off?

WTF is going on here!

ITA.

I know for me, what has been missing (and it looks like it is never going to happen) in the John and Marlena story, is an actual story. This should have been a new beginning for them. There seemed to be some kind of Stefano story outlined (or so it seemed) even just after they came back from Ireland, all the visits to his room by Tony, Anna, EJ, John & Marlena... I'll bet in the original outline he would have woken up sooner. Couples need something to fight together, a story where in this case, the new John and Marlena would have learned about each other while facing an obstacle together. I don't want them to just talk about what used to be and then out of the blue get back together. They need a situation. I thought Marlena was going to do whatever it took to not let John die. What happened to his headaches? It seems anything that remotely would give them a story has been shelved. It's very disappointing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I have to laugh about people acting like John's headaches have been dropped. They've only been gone for like a week LOL. He was only on one episode this week so I don't think it can be said the story was dropped yet. If it goes a month or so without mention, then sure you can say that and I believe OBK mentioned in another thread that his headaches are still going on.

hops
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 19 2008, 02:37 PM
I have to laugh about people acting like John's headaches have been dropped. They've only been gone for like a week LOL. He was only on one episode this week so I don't think it can be said the story was dropped yet. If it goes a month or so without mention, then sure you can say that and I believe OBK mentioned in another thread that his headaches are still going on.
Okay, lol, I hadn't read the post by OBK. I'm just taking it at face value. They've dropped practically everything else, I'm just assuming this will dropped too.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

hops
Oct 19 2008, 03:24 PM
PhoenixRising05
Okay, lol, I hadn't read the post by OBK. I'm just taking it at face value. They've dropped practically everything else, I'm just assuming this will dropped too.
Oh...I don't blame you.

I mean, they haven't dropped everything but they have dropped a significant chunk of what they were going to do. This is why I hope the show makes no more regime changes or anything like that for awhile. They need stabilization behind the scenes. The show can't keep starting things and dropping them do to behind the scenes clashes or fear of fan unrest.

I'm hopeful in the next few weeks as things continue to settle down and come together that things will get better for all the stories. They've built other stories that needed attention so now they need to return to the ongoing stories they had going a few weeks ago and work on them.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Whether or not the story has been dropped as a whole though, I do think it's very poor writing to introduce an important plot point like John's headaches and then not mention it again for weeks or months.

brownberrya

Ellie
Oct 19 2008, 03:45 PM
PhoenixRising05
Whether or not the story has been dropped as a whole though, I do think it's very poor writing to introduce an important plot point like John's headaches and then not mention it again for weeks or months.
is there a fall out with jay and nadia they were to be at a event and now she is with another actor for that same event.iwonder if jay does not want the chole and philip story so they stop it,on another board they said that nadia said there is no story for phole in the future.so it safe to say that philip puts closure on phole next week. and starts his new love intrest with stephanie

LovingDays

Can't wait to see Brady back!

mesagirl
Member Avatar

brownberrya
Oct 19 2008, 03:56 PM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
is there a fall out with jay and nadia they were to be at a event and now she is with another actor for that same event.iwonder if jay does not want the chole and philip story so they stop it,on another board they said that nadia said there is no story for phole in the future.so it safe to say that philip puts closure on phole next week. and starts his new love intrest with stephanie
Nadia and Brandon Beemer (ex Shawn, sorry I know he's on another soap now... B&B?) are dating. They are always at these things together ;)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
LOL It's been a week!

This past week was the only week John's headaches were not focused on at all since the story began. If they drop it entirely, then that is poor writing but it seems they haven't as of yet.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply