Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thaao posted
Topic Started: Oct 17 2008, 11:46 AM (1,811 Views)
Sindacco
Member Avatar

"Hullo,
Must say I'm confused. I thought the DiMera storyline had great potential. But its not in my hands. Shot 2 shows last week that went well. I feel like a new face. Its been a disappointing year in our storyline.
New York trip went really well. Saw 2 plays, Man for all Seasons and The Seagul. Wonderful. lee will be posting some new photos soon. Of Egypt as well. One of my nephews comes in this evening. Its his first trip.Andrew has been travelling Sth America and I'm taking him to Disneyland tomorrow.
Hope to see some of your faces at the DOOL party at Universal on Nov. I. I promise to behave.
So thanks for your concerns and opinions ...as one producer said "Its not always about talent" Be well and its time to be grateful.
Love
Thaao"

http://www.thaaopenghlis.com/id2.htm
Edited by Sindacco, Oct 17 2008, 11:48 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

That's sad that DAYS is treating their only male actor to receive an Emmy in Lead Male in over 20 years like this.

People keep saying that they think the DiMera storyline is going to make a return and it's only on the shelf because of the writing backstage transitions. Well, I've always doubted that. I think it was a story that Scott wanted, and now that he's not there, we're not getting it. Period. Thaao sounds like he feels the same way and I think he would have more insight than us.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Oct 17 2008, 11:55 AM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Quote:

as one producer said "Its not always about talent"

Gary Tomlin - U know he loves the models. ;)

It is unfortunate that Dena Higley is still the head writer for Days of Our Lives. The actors should all walk out one day and force Corday to get rid of that hack. She ruins everything she touches. I've given her enough time to get a proper story out and she keeps failing everything. She's got to be one of the worst writers in history of daytime television.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Oct 17 2008, 12:01 PM
Quote:

That's not a good thing.

Days4Life

DrewHamilton
Oct 17 2008, 11:53 AM
That's sad that DAYS is treating their only male actor to receive an Emmy in Lead Male in over 20 years like this.

People keep saying that they think the DiMera storyline is going to make a return and it's only on the shelf because of the writing backstage transitions. Well, I've always doubted that. I think it was a story that Scott wanted, and now that he's not there, we're not getting it. Period. Thaao sounds like he feels the same way and I think he would have more insight than us.
I agree that the Dimera civil war story has been dropped. Too bad; it had a lot of promise. I'm wondering if they will even continue with John's headaches and seizures or if that will be forgotten, like Stefano's deadly brain tumor from years ago.

I'd love to go to that DAYS event November 1. It sounds like most of the cast will be there.

Mason

"Its been a disappointing year in our storyline."

You can say that again, Thaao!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Its so lame that the new regime seems to scrape the storyline with the most potential, the Dimera feud, but keeps all the other less interesting ones..I feel bad for Thaao, he deserves better..

jimmyk311

I wonder how bad is the morale over at Days with all these backstage changes?

jane1978

DrewHamilton
Oct 17 2008, 11:53 AM

I agree it looks like the story was dropped and will not return back. But is it really a bad decision? How many people really cares who controls the DiMera empire? What is the DiMera empire? Was there ever any succesfull business story on DAYS? Fights over control, hostile takeovers, board meetings, choosing of CEOs. This is something very familiar and well known for Scott who came from Y/R, but on DAYS itīs like a completely different world and Iīm not really sure enough of people would care. In the case of Phillip/Victor vs. John they certainly didnīt.

Donīt take me wrong, I loved the scenes in the DiMera mansion and all the strong actors giving their best. But at the end, it was really just puffing and bragging with no real substance. Especially if all the deadly enemies were forced to live under the same roof and share a livingroom.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jane, you actually have a point.

I've been thinking...usually when Days does business stories people complain they are bored and since many don't see the Dimera organization as a legitimate business, where do you go with it? It's hard to do a battle for an empire when all the opponents live with each other and I'm sure there would've been a way to do it but I have a feeling it may have ended up not going so well.

I still believe it hasn't been dropped though. I just think they are setting it up to involve Lexie more and I think they want it to be more about EJ and/or Tony vs Stefano without John tossed in there. That's fine. I mean, John has enough money anyway. If it's been dropped, I will be sure to eat crow but I think it's just on hold until they can get to a point where other stories can intersect with it.

One thing that bothers me. What did Thaoo mean by a producer saying "Its not always about talent." That makes me think there may be some disagreement over vision yet again. I hope not. Things seem in sync right now and while I do wish characters like Tony, Anna, Steve, Kayla, etc were getting more story and airtime, this show can't afford more backstage shit. It really can't. That is why things keep getting dropped all the time. There is never no stabilization. It's like things start up, lose direction, get dropped, start again, writer is fired, regime change, and the cycle starts over. I would just like to see one year without any backstage bullshit and with a stable cast, crew, and regime in place. If it doesn't work, fine but at least the show will have tried to let the vision permeate onscreen.

I do feel awful for Thaoo. He should be on more. The man was nominated for an Emmy but I do think that is the only reason he is still here. Tony and Anna were all but written out in May. They got married offscreen...you could tell they were done. Corday just couldn't let him go after he got nominated. I mean, he had let the talented Martha Madison go and Judi Evans had been let go too and she was up for an Emmy as well. He couldn't justify it so he kept him and Anna but I think it's clear he would've been gone by now if not for that.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 03:18 PM
I still believe it hasn't been dropped though. I just think they are setting it up to involve Lexie more and I think they want it to be more about EJ and/or Tony vs Stefano without John tossed in there. That's fine. I mean, John has enough money anyway. If it's been dropped, I will be sure to eat crow but I think it's just on hold until they can get to a point where other stories can intersect with it..
Well, Thaao for one sounds like he thinks it's been dropped... lol I would kinda take his word over yours. :tounge: Seriously though - I'm not sure why Thaao would go to the trouble to make a post like this if the story had just been put on hold for a bit.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Oct 17 2008, 03:20 PM
PhoenixRising05
Oct 17 2008, 03:18 PM
I still believe it hasn't been dropped though. I just think they are setting it up to involve Lexie more and I think they want it to be more about EJ and/or Tony vs Stefano without John tossed in there. That's fine. I mean, John has enough money anyway. If it's been dropped, I will be sure to eat crow but I think it's just on hold until they can get to a point where other stories can intersect with it..
Well, Thaao for one sounds like he thinks it's been dropped... lol I would kinda take his word over yours. :tounge: Seriously though - I'm not sure why Thaao would go to the trouble to make a post like this if the story had just been put on hold for a bit.
It may just be his feeling that it was dropped. Basically, what he thinks at the time he is writing this. Doesn't mean it has been dropped.

I can't blame you for believing him over me. You should. He works there LOL. All I am saying is it can be picked right back up in a few weeks. You never know, especially at Days. If I'm wrong, I will eat crow but I'm not ready to say the story is dead yet.

Mason

jane1978
Oct 17 2008, 03:09 PM
I agree it looks like the story was dropped and will not return back. But is it really a bad decision?

Yes. For many people, like myself, that was the only story that seemed to show any kind of potential. So, of course, of all storylines, that's the one that gets dropped.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 17 2008, 03:28 PM
jane1978
Oct 17 2008, 03:09 PM
I agree it looks like the story was dropped and will not return back. But is it really a bad decision?

Yes. For many people, like myself, that was the only story that seemed to show any kind of potential. So, of course, of all storylines, that's the one that gets dropped.
And after reading the spoilers it doesn't look we will see it any time soon.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

The DiMera business storyline as it was will not be shown. Period. Now, whether they do something later on down the line and start up another DiMera takeover storyline, it's not going to be the same as this one. It's just not. I firmly believe that this was a Scott idea and once Scott was thrown out of there, Higley ditched the storyline.

Later on down the road, if we start getting a storyline close this, it will still not be the storyline that was intended to be told. If that was the case, you could say that about any storyline no matter who was the writer. Perhaps Reilly was the one that originally thought of the character of Nick Fallon, yet it was Hogan that brough him. That's ridiculous.

The story's been dropped. And any future storyline relating to this is a completely new one.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

I think you're right DrewHamilton, weren't there rumors that Higley was the one that didn't want to write for Stefano? He was written out in February and came back in August, after Scott was gone Stefano has been seen less again.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

You have a point, Drew. The story won't be the same so the story that was planned has been dropped. I will concede that and simply say we still may get a battle over the Dimera empire. I mean, John has already been taken out of play so we know it will be different.

Sindacco, when Higley was writing in 2003 a big deal was made out of Corday saying Stefano was not needed. He started that shit in 2002 when tony returned, saying they would explain the origins behind the Brady/Dimera feud through Tony. I honestly think Corday doesn't like the character of Stefano anymore. I think he feels the show is beyond him now and he wants to move away from him. He made his feelings known then. Joe is said to be a bit of a diva so maybe that plays into it. Not sure.

Higley seems to like writing for bad guys/crime bosses so I feel she has no problem with Stefano. I can't be sure if she necessarily wanted to write for him right now but I think she has no trouble with it. I also wouldn't say we are seeing Stefano less. He was on three times this week, twice I believe last week, and quite a bit in September and a ton in August so he's being used. Its just that he doesn't have one clearly-defined story right now with the battle for the empire not being played.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Yes I remember that Phoenix, when Corday said Stefano wasn't needed. I did a thread about it earlier this year but I had confused Corday with Higley.

I don't know, I always got the impression that she liked villains that were more realistic criminals, she had Andre and Victor involved with smuggling in 2003 and this year John vs Philip with shipping and she brought Martino Vitali on. Speaking about Martino, why the hell did they kill him off so soon? He could have been a great villain used longer.

So far, Dena's writing of Stefano reminds me of Hogan's writing for him last year. Stefano would turn up in the middle of the episode and have some scenes with EJ/Sami and then leave again. Now he has scenes with more people like Lexie, Marino, Nicole and I like that.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

Rakesh198
Oct 17 2008, 12:01 PM
Quote:

It is unfortunate that Dena Higley is still the head writer for Days of Our Lives. The actors should all walk out one day and force Corday to get rid of that hack. She ruins everything she touches. I've given her enough time to get a proper story out and she keeps failing everything. She's got to be one of the worst writers in history of daytime television.
We asked Thaao in Burlington who wrote the hospital lockdown storyline. He said he thought Higley did. I think Corday and Tomlin were the ones to have killed it.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Sounds like Thaao is NOT happy at all and I do not blame him ONE bit.

They are NOT using him or Leann Hunley OR Joseph Mascolo (well barely or simply for window dressing).

It sucks that DAYS is choosing to treat their only emmy-nominated Lead Actor in the last 20 years like this.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply