Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
THE PEACOCK PLUCKS $500M; What does this mean for Days?
Topic Started: Oct 18 2008, 06:42 PM (2,371 Views)
Rakesh198
Member Avatar

By HOLLY M. SANDERS

Posted: 3:15 am
October 18, 2008

The Peacock is preparing for a painful 2009.

NBC Universal head honcho Jeff Zucker is looking to slice $500 million in expenses, or 3 percent of the company's overall budget, ahead of next year. The cuts will come across all divisions, including the flagship broadcast network, cable channels Bravo and USA and the Universal film studio and theme parks.

"We are living in a time of unprecedented economic challenges, and it is increasingly clear that the worldwide economic slowdown will continue well into next year," Zucker wrote in an internal memo sent to employees late yesterday. "As we have been working on our budgets and planning for 2009, it has become evident that the decline in consumer confidence and spending will impact our operations."

Zucker is asking managers to look for ways to cut staff and other costs, including travel, entertainment, promotional expenses and outside consultants. Major purchases will also need to go through the procurement department, he said.

Third-quarter profit at NBC Universal, part of conglomerate General Electric, rose 10 percent while revenue jumped 35 percent, largely because of NBC's broadcast of the Beijing Olympics. Still, economic uncertainty has gripped the media business as industry watchers predict a serious drop in ad spending.

NY Post
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

This isn't good... Days' renewal? What would happen IF the show is renewed? GL format?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Why the heck is Jeff Zucker still employed. He is selfhandedly destroying NBC.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

NBC is so fucked. But they brought it on themselves.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 18 2008, 06:51 PM
NBC is so fucked. But they brought it on themselves.
yeah, i heard they managed to lose money on the olympics, even though it had a higher viewing audience than any previous olympic broadcast.

oh well, as long as they don't cut the thursday night line-up or days, i could care less.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I really don't mean to sound stupid here, but how does the economy affect the television studios?
Maybe themepark attendance goes down, but shouldn't viewership go up if people stay home?

Does it mean something like NBC/Universal stock is down so they aren't worth as much as they used to be? But how does that affect advertising, and why did they lose money on the Olympics?

Sorry. Y'all don't have to answer...I just have a hard time figuring out how things all connect sometimes.

Thanks for sharing...very interesting.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Not sure on the details, Alligato. One result is advertisers who pay to advertise or promote during TV shows. They may not be so willing to dish out as much money to pay for ads or may cut down on ads. That would affect any TV show or network because they are losing ad revenue, which is basically how they make money.

This has to be why it's taking so long for the official word on Days. They are definitely going to see a significant cut. I mean, they were going to have to cut anyway but NBC making these kinds of cuts means big time changes.

Days has a ton of actor contracts up next year. They should all expect further cuts and, as much as I hate it, I'm pretty certain actors like SN, MBE, JM, TP, and LH will be gone. Days is going to keep who they feel they have to and make due with who they feel is important. They will probably cut some to recurring and use them only when necessary. I mean, where else are they going to cut? They are already using a certain amount of sets. They have to start trimming the cast size down to a manageable level and I would hate to lose any of them but it's obvious they will have to. And they will not be cutting the young cast members or newcomers because they don't make enough so they have to cut those who would help the budget. I've been saying for awhile that while losing some beloved characters would suck, I think the show needs a smaller cast. It's less work for the writers as they can focus in on a few stories. It allows more time for character stuff. There are many benefits to it IMO. We'll see what happens but I don't see Days changing much technically. I think the changes will be to actor salaries and in cast size.

jcar03
Member Avatar

Well DAYS has already been renewed and their is obviously going to be a budget cut that goes along with that.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^After learning this, more like a MASSIVE budget cut.

I still think the only reasons why it got renewed was:

1.) To promote NBC shows, causes, etc.
2.) Because the rest of NBC is such a joke they don't have time to worry about finding a replacement and with Days at least they have an audience guaranteed for the time slot. Plus, Days is doing ok in demos right now.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Quote:

"We are living in a time of unprecedented economic challenges, and it is increasingly clear that the worldwide economic slowdown will continue well into next year," Zucker wrote in an internal memo sent to employees late yesterday. "As we have been working on our budgets and planning for 2009, it has become evident that the decline in consumer confidence and spending will impact our operations."

That's horse shit! Zucker is a complete idiot and how he still has a job is beyond me.

The decline in consumer confidence is because your damn network is 90% shit. Start producing shows people want to watch and your numbers will go up and your budget problem is solved. Sponsers want to air their products during shows that reach a certain demo and aside from The Office, SVU and Heroes, NBC has nothing.

Edited by Rick, Oct 19 2008, 01:50 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^Amen Rick!

How that jackass still has his job is beyond me. How far does NBC have to sink before there is a change?

It's pretty sad how after L&O SVU the only other steady ratings grabber they have this year is ER after 15 years and with around 8-9 million viewers. They probably begged them to stay LOL.

Heroes has declined and seems to be hanging on by a thread. The comedies tend to fluctuate and some are very low. I know ratings are down across the board but NBC's issues have been going on for some time and all the network dishes out is more of the same. It's lost a ton of great shows and once ER goes and once L&O is finally exhausted it will have nothing. It's sad.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 19 2008, 01:03 AM
This has to be why it's taking so long for the official word on Days. They are definitely going to see a significant cut. I mean, they were going to have to cut anyway but NBC making these kinds of cuts means big time changes.
A significant cut can also mean cancellation too.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here. But regardless of whether it has happened or not, DAYS' renewal should have been confirmed by the network or Corday long ago. It restores faith in local affiliates for the upcoming 2009 season, it gives the actors, cast, and crew a reason not to look for other work, and it is just good business period.

The first thing I thought about was the daypart when I saw that they are cutting back by $500 Million. That's one of the first places networks make cuts. And not to mention bigger affiliates want more money and more control over their daytime skeds.

DAYS' licensing fees won't come cheap. Not to mention SOAPnet, another source of revenue keeping the show alive, can't wait to get rid of it for another primetime or reality acquisition. The fact that DAYS is pushed into the graveyard or pre-empted on SOAPnet is very telling.

There are rumors everywhere about all three networks making significant cuts or axing certain programs altogether. Nothing in safe in this economic climate.

NBC has been on a mission to kill this show since 99. And now that DAYS is no longer profitable for its affiliates, NBC might be pressured into axing DAYS. Especially if markets start dropping the show for low performances.
Edited by bellcurve, Oct 19 2008, 04:08 AM.

jane1978

IHeartDRRick
Oct 19 2008, 04:06 AM
NBC has been on a mission to kill this show since 99. And now that DAYS is no longer profitable for its affiliates, NBC might be pressured into axing DAYS. Especially if markets start dropping the show for low performances.
If the show was unprofitable it would be canceled. Period. Nobody knows what are the real production expenses, nobody knows how much money DAYS makes from advertisers and other venues. Times are bad for sure. But thatīs exactly the reason why the network will be even more carefull than just impetuously cancel a show which doesnīt make as much as used, but still is able to garantee a significant amount of viewers in the desired demos, on daily basis, 260 times per year.

In other words, as long as DAYS makes atleast some money and as long as NBC will not be sure they have a cheaper, as much successfull and a longterm! replacement DAYS will stay.

As for the cuts, I think the last few weeks and the new hires pretty much sealed what is NBCīs/Tomlinīs priority. He wants the young demos back and he wants to boost up the twenties, thirties group to make sure of that. Thatīs the main priority, thatīs what TPTB is mostly concerned about. Tony, Anna are practically gone, Steve/Kayla are in the unfortunate position of the third supercouple which can be cut anytime. Kate and Dan are totally isolated and I could see a happy ending and ride to the sunshine for them after the cancer story ends.

I think all the characters who have story right now are save, plus Jarlena and Bope and probably Stefano, as long as Joe stays "reasonable".
Edited by jane1978, Oct 19 2008, 06:29 AM.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I think DOOLS is doomed. I hardly watch it anymore. Higley has driven it to its grave. Zucker is only too happy to bury it.

FanODays

NBC did bring a lot of this on themselves. They entered into contracts with many stars in the 90's (the casts of Seinfelf and Friends for example) for massive amounts and then the bottom dropped out of network TV. Then they got complacent, arrogant and lazy and relied on spin offs of these shows to keep the viewers, and that idea bombed. Since then NBC has had less than a half dozen truly new ideas for shows resulting in people to watch other things.

Networks will never have the standings they did in the 90's, and they need to accept that (The fact that cable channels have won many, many of the major emmy awards is proof of that). However, they can still have some inventive shows. The other two have done it.

I'm tired of NBC blaming other things for their own inabilities and I am pretty sure that dumping their last soap is going to be part of some scape goat rationale for them. However, because NBC doesn't own Days, I don't know how much of a saving they will get. If by some chance it stays, it will suffer major budget cuts and I will say seeing how bad Days has let itself become, I won't cry over the cuts.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

jane1978
Oct 19 2008, 06:06 AM
IHeartDRRick
Oct 19 2008, 04:06 AM
If the show was unprofitable it would be canceled. Period. Nobody knows what are the real production expenses, nobody knows how much money DAYS makes from advertisers and other venues. Times are bad for sure. But thatīs exactly the reason why the network will be even more carefull than just impetuously cancel a show which doesnīt make as much as used, but still is able to garantee a significant amount of viewers in the desired demos, on daily basis, 260 times per year.

In other words, as long as DAYS makes atleast some money and as long as NBC will not be sure they have a cheaper, as much successfull and a longterm! replacement DAYS will stay.

As for the cuts, I think the last few weeks and the new hires pretty much sealed what is NBCīs/Tomlinīs priority. He wants the young demos back and he wants to boost up the twenties, thirties group to make sure of that. Thatīs the main priority, thatīs what TPTB is mostly concerned about. Tony, Anna are practically gone, Steve/Kayla are in the unfortunate position of the third supercouple which can be cut anytime. Kate and Dan are totally isolated and I could see a happy ending and ride to the sunshine for them after the cancer story ends.

I think all the characters who have story right now are save, plus Jarlena and Bope and probably Stefano, as long as Joe stays "reasonable".
Unprofitable for NBC...maybe not. Maybe so.

Unprofitable for big affiliates who could make more money with syndicated programming or an additional news hour? Absolutely, without a doubt, 1000%. Daytime is no longer a network issue. It's all about the affiliates and if they are not making money, they want control and NBC has allowed its affiliates to trample over their daytime lineup for years. When you've got the #2 soap in America airing in late night TV for an hourlong afternoon newscast, you finally realize that very little is safe or sacred where the daytime lineup is concerned.

And what little money DAYS makes for NBC isn't going to come close to recouping a $500 Million Dollar loss. NBC's daypart efforts are better suited in the market of syndication, where they own cheaper properties like Game Shows(DEAL OR NO DEAL), talk shows(ELLEN, SPRINGER), and celebrity news shows(ACCESS HOLLYWOOD). NBC is no longer interested in soaps. I'll eat crow, feathers and all if I'm wrong and bow to your holiness, but to see news like this and just assume "budget cuts," oy vey.

There's a reason why Rakesh posted this article to the DR and I'm willing to bet it wasn't to speculate about how massive the budget cuts would be.

And what is considered a massive budget cut for DAYS fans? Using the same four sets over and over again? Cutting Kristen Renton, Roscoe Born, and Linden Ashby is not a massive budget cut. I wish an Ellen Wheeler type would take over this show and show DAYS fans what true budget cuts are. Seeing Alison Sweeney and James Scott only used to guarantee(two or three days a week), firing Steve, Mary-Beth, Kristian, and Peter...Now THAT would be a massive budget cut.
Edited by bellcurve, Oct 19 2008, 07:05 AM.

jane1978

IHeartDRRick
Oct 19 2008, 07:04 AM
Unprofitable for big affiliates who could make more money with syndicated programming or an additional news hour? Absolutely, without a doubt, 1000%. Daytime is no longer a network issue. It's all about the affiliates and if they are not making money, they want control and NBC has allowed its affiliates to trample over their daytime lineup for years. When you've got the #2 soap in America airing in late night TV for an hourlong afternoon newscast, you finally realize that very little is safe or sacred where the daytime lineup is concerned.

And what little money DAYS makes for NBC isn't going to come close to recouping a $500 Million Dollar loss. NBC's daypart efforts are better suited in the market of syndication, where they own cheaper properties like Game Shows(DEAL OR NO DEAL), talk shows(ELLEN, SPRINGER), and celebrity news shows(ACCESS HOLLYWOOD). NBC is no longer interested in soaps. I'll eat crow, feathers and all if I'm wrong and bow to your holiness, but to see news like this and just assume "budget cuts," oy vey.
I donīt know if you have some inside info or are just assuming like everyone else, but this is exactly what Iīm saying. I have no doubt if NBC was sure it makes more sense financially to replace DAYS with some gameshow or talkshow, or whatever else, they would do it.

But it didnīt happen so far, NBC is keeping DAYS and even promoting it and resurrecting a huge fan event for its fans which was already canceled. If the replacements were so viable and profitable as you believe DAYS would be replaced long time ago, and not just DAYS but all soaps (except Y/R and B/B) on all networks because the numbers are +- the same.

Besides ratings are falling across the board, itīs not just soaps. And I think there was even an article not so long ago claiming even in the current tough times daytime soaps are still the safest way to reach those desired 18-34 and 18-49 women. Of course, when there is a big local news to report it makes sense for the affiliates to reschedule, because more people is interested in the news than soap. But is there that kind of news every day, 260times per year?

As Iīm saying Iīm no insider and I have no idea what kind of talks are going/or went between NBC/Corday and Sony, so maybe Iīm terribly wrong and the show will be gone next year. But looking from outside Iīm actually feeling more positive than the last negotiation.
Edited by jane1978, Oct 19 2008, 08:17 AM.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

jane1978
Oct 19 2008, 08:11 AM
IHeartDRRick
Oct 19 2008, 07:04 AM

I donīt know if you have some inside info or are just assuming like everyone else, but this is exactly what Iīm saying. I have no doubt if NBC was sure it makes more sense financially to replace DAYS with some gameshow or talkshow, or whatever else, they would do it.

But it didnīt happen so far, NBC is keeping DAYS and even promoting it and resurrecting a huge fan event for its fans which was already canceled. If the replacements were so viable and profitable as you believe DAYS would be replaced long time ago, and not just DAYS but all soaps (except Y/R and B/B) on all networks because the numbers are +- the same.

Besides ratings are falling across the board, itīs not just soaps. And I think there was even an article not so long ago claiming even in the current tough times daytime soaps are still the safest way to reach those desired 18-34 and 18-49 women. Of course, when there is a big local news to report it makes sense for the affiliates to reschedule, because more people is interested in the news than soap. But is there that kind of news every day, 260times per year?

As Iīm saying Iīm no insider and I have no idea what kind of talks are going/or went between NBC/Corday and Sony, so maybe Iīm terribly wrong and the show will be gone next year. But looking from outside Iīm actually feeling more positive than the last negotiation.
There are a lot of affiliates that offer tons and tons of local news content, that regurgitates the same information over and over and again.

I could see the NBC affiliate in L.A. adding an additional afternoon news hour, just in case there was that latest car chase or that bit of breaking news at the holdup.

News may not be as flashy as a daytime soap, but it is a constant, it's cheap to produce(all in house), and all the money from advertising goes to the affiliate.

I'm far from an "insider," but at the same time, I would hate to see a DAYS fan get blindsighted by it's "renewal," which has yet to be confirmed by anyone at NBC or DAYS. I want an official press release.

I felt better about the last renewal with Hogan Sheffer. And before that, even better with the last renewal that came with Jim Reilly.

King
Member Avatar

Someone said recently that in a few years, we might be down a network or two.

My guess is CW will fall first, and NBC will fall next, maybe within the next ten years.

Times they are a changin'.

FanODays

King
Oct 19 2008, 10:57 AM
Someone said recently that in a few years, we might be down a network or two.

My guess is CW will fall first, and NBC will fall next, maybe within the next ten years.

Times they are a changin'.
I definately think in the next 10-20 years shows will be distributed very differently and I can see distributing via the computer slowly replacing TV. I think our TVs will be computers where you just download what we want to watch when we want to watch it.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply