Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
THE PEACOCK PLUCKS $500M; What does this mean for Days?
Topic Started: Oct 18 2008, 06:42 PM (2,359 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Jeff Zucker has single-handedly driven the NBC network into the freaking ground.

I am absolutely STUNNED he has not been fired by NBC Universal yet.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Simmi
Member Avatar

Alligato
Oct 18 2008, 11:05 PM
I really don't mean to sound stupid here, but how does the economy affect the television studios?
Maybe themepark attendance goes down, but shouldn't viewership go up if people stay home?

Does it mean something like NBC/Universal stock is down so they aren't worth as much as they used to be? But how does that affect advertising, and why did they lose money on the Olympics?

Sorry. Y'all don't have to answer...I just have a hard time figuring out how things all connect sometimes.

Thanks for sharing...very interesting.
hey alligato, new here but maybe i can help out. i used to work in PR for fox, so i have a sort of understanding about this stuff. the trouble is not so much that viewership wouldn't go up--which it may or may not, depending on how dire you think things are going to get ;) but on the fact that most businesses are run on credit, even very large businesses like studios. they use credit to pay their employees, they use credit to buy supplies, they use credit to pay for insurance, etc. but the banks are not giving out that credit anymore. so businesses big and small are going to have a hard time.

this is the real problem with the economy and is likely why NBC will cut specific programming unless it pulls in lots of revenue through advertising.
Edited by Simmi, Oct 21 2008, 07:40 PM.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Funny that TV Guide's new article proves Zucker to be an idiot.

"As money gets tight, people are more likely to stay home and watch TV. Historically, People flock to entertainment, It will probably be good for us"

Also says that the networks may not cancel new shows or low rated shows because they would have to give advertisers their money back for add spaace.

Full article is posted in the Primetime lounge

http://s7.zetaboards.com/DaytimeRoyalty/topic/8029454/1/
Edited by Rick, Oct 22 2008, 02:16 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply