Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Casting News
Topic Started: Oct 22 2008, 04:08 PM (1,514 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

DAYS Casting Scoop!
John Callahan, best known to soap fans as AMC's beloved Edmund Grey, has been cast as a doctor who crosses paths with Nicole (Arianne Zucker). He will first appear on November 24. This isn't Callahanís first time in Salem ó he played Artie in 1989.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I loved Edmund. I wonder if this is going to be something or it will be nothing like them hiring Michael from AW.

Mason

^ I'm sure it'll be just a minor role that won't go anywhere.

Weird, though. He plays Lawrence Alamain in my blog, LoL.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Angie!!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

At least we are continuing to get talented actors..But i would love to see these roles developed into something big..

Mason

Kevc1980
Oct 22 2008, 04:42 PM
At least we are continuing to get talented actors..But i would love to see these roles developed into something big..
Unfortunately, they're just in small roles like this. Whereas, for bigger characters like Brady and Rafael, we get the exact opposite of talented.

KittyKat
Member Avatar

He played Craig on Santa Barbara. I wanted him with Kelly not Robert (Roscoe Born).

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

KittyKat
Oct 22 2008, 04:48 PM
He played Craig on Santa Barbara. I wanted him with Kelly not Robert (Roscoe Born).
Hee, do you mean you wanted Kelly with him and not Robert?

KittyKat
Member Avatar

Tripp
Oct 22 2008, 05:03 PM
KittyKat
Oct 22 2008, 04:48 PM
Hee, do you mean you wanted Kelly with him and not Robert?
Right! Craig and Robert would've been cool too ;)

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 22 2008, 04:44 PM
Kevc1980
Unfortunately, they're just in small roles like this. Whereas, for bigger characters like Brady and Rafael, we get the exact opposite of talented.
I agree with you Mason. They have wasted the likes of Joe Penny, Linden Ashby, Roscoe Born among others and for the long term we get others for what may be the long term that from what I understand are slightly lacking in the acting department. I have not seen Galen and Eric before so will hold out judgment until they come on the scene.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

ArizonaDaze
Oct 22 2008, 06:00 PM
Mason
Oct 22 2008, 04:44 PM
Kevc1980
I agree with you Mason. They have wasted the likes of Joe Penny, Linden Ashby, Roscoe Born among others and for the long term we get others for what may be the long term that from what I understand are slightly lacking in the acting department. I have not seen Galen and Eric before so will hold out judgment until they come on the scene.
My only hope with hiring Galen and Eric is that some of their former Passion fans, who are now soap-less will tune into Days..Thats obviously what NBC hopes will happen..And who knows?

Mason

^ I sincerely hope NBC is not banking on that happening, LoL.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Well, hopefully that will happen, but IDK. I think there were a lot of Passions fans that watch Days too. I may be in the minority, but since I only watch one show, I've never followed an actor to another show. If I was going to do that, I would have followed Stephen Nichols to GH back in the day! I do hope we get new viewers though.

hoochielicious
Member Avatar
Queen Hoochie

I hope John Callahan has learned to keep it in his pants. He had an affair with Eva La Rue and ended his first marriage. He cheated on Eva with what she said, their coworkers at AMC. I don't think DOOL needs more backstage drama with a player on the set.

I do enjoy him as an actor though. I think they should have kept Kale Browne as the older doctor on the show. They could have paired him with Marlena or Kate.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kevc1980
I'm with you but the problem is you would have people complaining about more newbies. You would hear the usual "Why can't they focus on who they have?" We heard it when Ashby was involved in big story and we heard it when Joe Penny was casted.

It seems what is lost on some nowadays is how sometimes you have to bring new characters in for certain stories or to freshen things up or "upset the applecart." That is why I'm glad the show is bringing in Galen as a new character. The show needs fresh characters. It just got rid of a big one in Morgan and lost another one in Ava, two characters with big potential.

I don't think the show set out to cast Eric and Galen. It seems they wanted Galen for awhile. It was mentioned in SOD that Days had it's eye on him for awhile and I do think Higley and Corday came to the determination that the Lumi/Ejami war will never end so why not give Sami a fresh direction? I mean, that issue has gone on too long. It's time to pull all three characters out of that black hole and give them new direction. It's the only way to save the characters IMO.

I think Lucas and Chloe were going to be written out and we were getting a Rafael/Sami/EJ/Nicole quad but then they decided to keep Nadia and Bryan too and that is why they decided to bring Brady back on, probably around the time Eric was brought in to test for Galen's role. They saw something in Eric and casted him. Tomlin knows him too. I don't think it was all planned. I think they had Galen in mind but weren't sure if they could get him and they changed gears and decided to make another effort at bringing Brady back too. They just happened to run into someone they liked in Eric. I'm sure they know this will likely not result in a ratings bump. Maybe some sort of demo bump but nothing huge. The ratings are what they are but the demos can be influenced still it seems.

I like Callahan. I don't like what went down with him and Eva but I like him as an actor and I like that Days continues to cast talented actors like this, even if it's a small role. It makes a difference. Looking forward to seeing what this means for Nicole.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 22 2008, 08:50 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Nice casting choice DAYS. Maybe he could be Marlena's new love interest?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Oct 22 2008, 11:41 PM
Nice casting choice DAYS. Maybe he could be Marlena's new love interest?
Now there's an idea.

I won't get my hopes up though. The show doesn't have enough guts to do that.

Loretta3938
Member Avatar

I'm not going to be too optimistic about John, because actors with prior history on other soaps seem to come and go. It could last a storyline, like Trent's stay, or even shorter. Erika Page only lasted one day...that's all I remember of seeing her. I was optimistic about her, as she was young, pretty, and petite. I even thought it might have been great to pair her with Lucas, since pairing her with him would have helped rebuild the Horton family...another Dr. Horton in Salem would have been wonderful. So much for my ideas. Now, after the loss of most of these wonderful potential characters, I won't get my hopes up that any new character, even Galen's (who I didn't watch on Passions) will last over the long haul.

Loretta

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Great casting choice. John is such a great actor. Loved Edmund!

Hopefully, this isn't a short term role.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply