Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Trent's killer is.....; UPDATED
Topic Started: Oct 23 2008, 01:36 AM (6,947 Views)
luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Angie79
Oct 23 2008, 08:59 AM
UPDATE

(Week of November 10th)

Nick threw a creepy "private" birthday party for Melanie, in which he gave her a "friendship" ring, and he had a flashback that revealed he was Trent's killer. Things got weirder: Nick tried to talk Melanie into leaving Salem with him, but she wanted to stay put. Then, in Maggie's house, Melanie discovered the stationery on which the threatening note was written. She confronted Nick and he admitted to writing the note and making the phone calls, but said he did it to protect Melanie. The follow-up - Nick told Melanie she had killed Trent he saw her do it. He convinced her it was the truth. But Bo and Hope got the real story from the cemetery's caretaker. He ID'ed Nick as the killer to shocked Bo and Hope.

i don't like ANY of this. the last thing nick is to me is 'creepy.' painkillers or no(and i have known PLENTY of people that have been addicted to them) it is not going to make you fundamentally change who you are as a person. in other words, i don't buy that nick is going to go from a guy that goes out of his way to protect the people the cares about to a guy that would blame something he did on someone else.

making him the killer is annoying, but i can understand that. havign him try to convince melanie that she did it? and the excuse is painkillers? no way!!!

i am seriously thisclose to not watching this show anymore. i'm tired of seeing characters assassinated over stupid plot twists such as this one.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

Wow.

On one hand I'm happy that BB is getting some story, and it's some heavily deeper, dark stuff, but...holy shit. I'm not sure I want to see Nick addicted to pain meds and turning on everyone.

You know what? I think I might like seeing a different side to him and BB portray it like so, this is just out of left feild. Nick was the first person I took off the list. I don't know what to think, actually.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I don't like this. I like the idea of BB given something to do but not at the risk of ruining Nick's character. And what about the part of Melanie using NIck to get money from him on his prototype? How does that work?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Thanks for the scoop, Angie! So didn't see this one coming, and I am not sure I buy it. I called Nick when he was busted for drinking because that was so out of left field, but figured it was really Melanie.

So what are they going to do with him? Claim self defense? And why do they still have Nicole in jail?
Reminds me of EJ's shooting where everyone had a weapon and wanted to do it, but the least likely person (meaning, who wasn't even there) did it.

I guess this is what is meant by plot driven writing...no way Nick would stab a man, become a pain killer addict and try to blame it on an innocent person. All he ever did was steal a hairbrush!

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

That is just it, though.....I think this is good for Blake Berris b/c he will now be able to provide more depth for his character now. He has been sorely underused and this story can bust it out for him.

To me, I see it as part character driven/plot driven. Maybe we will find more to Nick than anyone realized. And also I say it is a plot device b/c this is giving BB something to do and this was their best way to do it.

I think it will be an interesting s/l, but this is Higley, and I am not a huge supporter of her at all.....but I hope it plays out very well!

Kyrai

luvpumpkns
Oct 23 2008, 09:05 AM
Angie79
UPDATE

(Week of November 10th)

Nick threw a creepy "private" birthday party for Melanie, in which he gave her a "friendship" ring, and he had a flashback that revealed he was Trent's killer. Things got weirder: Nick tried to talk Melanie into leaving Salem with him, but she wanted to stay put. Then, in Maggie's house, Melanie discovered the stationery on which the threatening note was written. She confronted Nick and he admitted to writing the note and making the phone calls, but said he did it to protect Melanie. The follow-up - Nick told Melanie she had killed Trent he saw her do it. He convinced her it was the truth. But Bo and Hope got the real story from the cemetery's caretaker. He ID'ed Nick as the killer to shocked Bo and Hope.

i don't like ANY of this. the last thing nick is to me is 'creepy.' painkillers or no(and i have known PLENTY of people that have been addicted to them) it is not going to make you fundamentally change who you are as a person. in other words, i don't buy that nick is going to go from a guy that goes out of his way to protect the people the cares about to a guy that would blame something he did on someone else.

making him the killer is annoying, but i can understand that. havign him try to convince melanie that she did it? and the excuse is painkillers? no way!!!

i am seriously thisclose to not watching this show anymore. i'm tired of seeing characters assassinated over stupid plot twists such as this one.
I've already been feeling that way.

I love a good twist, and I wanted the guilty party to be someone that is a real cast member vs. a throway, but this is so out of left field, and it does change the core of Nick's character. This feels like a last minute random shock value change vs a thought out plot twist.

I could see him killing Trent to protect Melanie. I'd almost applaud him for it, but to then try to convince Melanie she did it?

The drugs would have to be some mind-altering Stefano type of drugs for me to buy it.

So typical, I wanted it to be Stax or Melanie just to put them in prison and throw away the key. Nick was the one young person I genuinely liked as a sweet geeky guy. I'm not against them branching BB out, but I did like his genuine nice guy quality.

The song 'Another one bites the Dust' keeps replaying in my head. I heard it on the way to work. Seems apropos, lol.

darraholic
Member Avatar
The Queen

Wow I'm shocked. I do think Blake will do a great job with this. Hopefully, he will get an emmy nomination out of it. I just hope this isn't leading to his exit.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Kyrai
Oct 23 2008, 09:26 AM
luvpumpkns
Oct 23 2008, 09:05 AM
Angie79
UPDATE

(Week of November 10th)

I've already been feeling that way.

I love a good twist, and I wanted the guilty party to be someone that is a real cast member vs. a throway, but this is so out of left field, and it does change the core of Nick's character. This feels like a last minute random shock value change vs a thought out plot twist.

I could see him killing Trent to protect Melanie. I'd almost applaud him for it, but to then try to convince Melanie she did it?

The drugs would have to be some mind-altering Stefano type of drugs for me to buy it.

So typical, I wanted it to be Stax or Melanie just to put them in prison and throw away the key. Nick was the one young person I genuinely liked as a sweet geeky guy. I'm not against them branching BB out, but I did like his genuine nice guy quality.

The song 'Another one bites the Dust' keeps replaying in my head. I heard it on the way to work. Seems apropos, lol.

Ok, what if the show dives into Nick's family history? The drugs isn't enough to explain away this behavior but what if it jumpstarts the mental illness that plagued his mother and could be inherited? That could be an awesome story?

But I still am worried because the show doesn't take such time to write out such stories anymore. I really don't like Nick becoming obsessive because it's difficult to bring a character back from that. They succeeded with EJ because of the huge popularity of JS. I'm probably the biggest fan of Nick/Blake on this board (Lord I sound like Terry, LOL) but I don't think audiences would forget his behavior and look past it.

*calming down* I will try to just enjoy the ride. It's typical monkey's paw for me. I wanted them to give Blake a big story with stuff for him to sink his teeth into. I didn't mean though for him to become a killer who is trying to seduce/manipulate a woman into running away with him.

esp13
Member Avatar

The only thing that doesn't work in all of this is the failure to establish the drug addiction first. If they show Nick becoming addicted to his painkillers and that causing alterations to his personality, and then throw in all of this stuff, it might work. But, failing to establish that part of the story until they also show he's the killer, makes the whole thing seemed much more contrived.

But, I do think that BB will do a great job with whatever he's given, so I'm willing to see how this plays out before declaring it a complete failure.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

esp13
Oct 23 2008, 09:40 AM
The only thing that doesn't work in all of this is the failure to establish the drug addiction first. If they show Nick becoming addicted to his painkillers and that causing alterations to his personality, and then throw in all of this stuff, it might work. But, failing to establish that part of the story until they also show he's the killer, makes the whole thing seemed much more contrived.

But, I do think that BB will do a great job with whatever he's given, so I'm willing to see how this plays out before declaring it a complete failure.
Absolutely on the failure to spell out the drug addiction. I think the DUI proved how people were taken aback if they don't setup for it properly. Showing Nick getting drunk would have fixed that (or at least let people accept Nick's mental state more). Now they are gonna have Nick be the killer on the fact he's had a drug addiction this whole time? For this to work, those better be some pretty lengthy flashbacks (which will annoy people anyway).

sungrey

Amello
Oct 23 2008, 01:44 AM
Angie79
Oct 23 2008, 01:43 AM
The source is reliable. I like this!
Yes, and hey at least it's not Claude or some lame ass nobody.
NICE JOB, DAYS!!! If true, this would be a very good twist to the plot not many people saw coming.

sungrey

Mason
Oct 23 2008, 07:06 AM
WTF? Yeah, it's shocking, but only because this is so out of character for Nick (then again, character-driven storytelling has never been Higley's strong suit). Am I glad it's not Claude? Yeah. Doesn't mean I like this, though. It reminds me of when Ben Reade was revealed to be a serial killer on GL, and I HATED that.
You ain't whistlin' Dixie here. Boy, was that so far off the mark... it was one of the only times I ever e-mailed a network head to say "you've got major issues here with a headwriter"... lol

I'll give this story a chance, provided IT'S DONE CORRECTLY. With his issues regarding Chelsea, I could see where Nick falls off the wagon and has to be counseled back to health by Maggie and Lucas. If Nick turns into a raving homicidal maniac and BB goes off the show completely, then Higley has failed.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I can't get upset about not seeing the drug addiction because that practically gives away Nick potentially being the killer. The whole idea of this is for it to be a surprise. The DUI was enough of a hint and now I see why they didn't build up to it. They didn't want to go into the flashbacks yet as they wanted to set the stage for Melanie to appear like she did it. It makes sense. I don't mind not seeing stuff onscreen when there is a reason for it and there is here.

Painkillers can have horrible effects on you and let's remember too that Nick was vulnerable. He lost Chelsea and it's clear he isn't over it. Max basically was the reason for his prototype because he made mistakes in his research...which was a hit to his pride. He was in a bad place for awhile and maybe he's having some bad reactions to them and that is driving his behavior. I don't think Nick is going anywhere. They are already hinting at Nick/Chelsea possibly reuniting, unless they plan to get rid of him and Melvin since Chelsea has so little to do right now. That is a possibility. I wouldn't worry though. This may go the route of stories on other soaps where the killer did what they did because of an adverse reaction to drugs. That is the out they used with Ava in the Spring. I can see them doing that. Its hard to tell how all this will play until we see it.

I don't think one can use the out of character excuse either because the whole point of the story is that this is not something Nick would do. That was one of the points of the DUI and having Maggie, Chelsea, and Hope get on him for that. Plus, Melanie even said that Nick was not acting like himself. There has been enough buildup for me to trust Days with the followup. I', shocked that Days has the guts to even go here, especially with a Horton. This also looks to be giving Maggie some good material. I have to give Higley props. She's used Caroline and Victor as important pieces of stories and now Maggie is going to get play as well.

One other thing...perhaps Trent did something. Nick was his protege afterall and we didn't see much of Nick for most of Trent's run. Maybe Trent did something to Nick or switched his pills to something stronger or something. Just a though and probably grasping at straws. I like the sound of the creepy birthday party though. Personally, I'm more excited about the painkiller aspect. This is dynamic material for BB and I hope they use Maggie aloe given her alcoholism. This is one chance to have Maggie active in a major tale. Very excited about this.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

It's definitely a twist, that's for sure. Nick is the one person I was sure did not kill Trent. So I give it to the writers for actually going the shocking route and making it an actual suspect from the beginning, but not a suspect that people would assume did it. Out of all the suspects, the only one I thought would actually do it, would be Melanie. I was convinced the writers were going to go the lame route and make Claude the killer. So I give it to them.

But...

I have to say this is typical Dena Higley writing for you. Where in the hell did the pain killer addiction come from? I'm going to assume that he's become addicted after his shooting in France. Okay. That makes sense. But why didn't we see anything that would enlighten this? I haven't once seen Nick pop one pill. That should've been shown.

That's the problem with Higley's writing. Yes, she can pull off good story, however she misses important beats that, once the climax of the story comes out, will make people say, this all makes perfectly sense. Had we saw Nick popping pills, not even majorly popping pills that would indicate an addiction, but at least some scene involving his pills, then this would all make sense to me. However, we saw none of that. The only thing we've seen was Nick getting drunk. How in the hell does that tie in with pain killers? It doesn't. A lot of people go to bars and get drunk. That doesn't make them pill addicts.

So while I give it to Higley and the writers for making Nick the killer, they missed major beats to make this actually make some sense.

As for it not being in character for Nick, if he's on pain killers, then he's not himself. It's an out, but you'll have that when you have a major character, whose personality and character has been established already, you'll have that. It needs to be explained what pushed Nick to do something you would think he would never do. So being addicted to pills, and being under the influence of these pain killers would make Nick act, perhaps irrational, which murder definitely is.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 23 2008, 10:18 AM
I can't get upset about not seeing the drug addiction because that practically gives away Nick potentially being the killer. The whole idea of this is for it to be a surprise. The DUI was enough of a hint and now I see why they didn't build up to it. They didn't want to go into the flashbacks yet as they wanted to set the stage for Melanie to appear like she did it. It makes sense. I don't mind not seeing stuff onscreen when there is a reason for it and there is here.

One other thing...perhaps Trent did something. Nick was his protege afterall and we didn't see much of Nick for most of Trent's run. Maybe Trent did something to Nick or switched his pills to something stronger or something. Just a though and probably grasping at straws. I like the sound of the creepy birthday party though. Personally, I'm more excited about the painkiller aspect. This is dynamic material for BB and I hope they use Maggie aloe given her alcoholism. This is one chance to have Maggie active in a major tale. Very excited about this.
But that's how you tell a story? You have to hit all beats. No one is asking the writers to spell out the fact that Nick is an addict. But to give no indication of this supposed serious pill addiction? We never saw Nick take one pill, let alone many to classify him as an addict. The DUI wasn't enough. I don't know how anyone could think that was enough. Freaking Chloe Lane could've recieved a DUI one night. That doesn't mean she's a pill popper. It could mean that she was getting hammered at Chez Rouge one night, and used bad judgement and drove home, only to be caught by the police. In no way does that mean she has an addiction problem. So I'm not buying that as a plausible hint of this in any way.

We should've saw at least some indication that Nick is abusing his pain medication. I'm sure if they threw a scene in there that had Nick popping a pill or two, no one would've automatically said that Nick's a pain addict and he's the killer. No. They would have assumed that Nick was just taking the medication he was prescribed when he was shot in France. That's how you tell a story. You include all of the beats, so that once the climax is revealed, viewers can look back at the little things, the little details, and know that this was all planned and it all makes sense now.

And I really hope your possible theory about Trent switching Nick's pills turns out to be wrong. If they're going the route of Nick being addicted to these pain killers, I want this to be a decision Nick has made, whether he would've done it in character or not. It's too DAYS-ish for Trent to be the one that switched Nick's pills with other pills to get him to become an addict. That's just stupid.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Come to think of it...there was some subtle hints. At the hospital after being shot, the nurse asked Nick of he wanted more pain meds or something. Then you have his behavior since then, which has been erratic. I think the DUI was designed to hint at him losing control and something not being right. It wasn't show much about what he did but what drove him to do it. His guilt was showing itself and it's likely he ran out of painkillers and resorted to alcohol that night.

I understand why many will slighted we didn't see him popping a pill or two but to me it's just giving away too much. If they did that, people would begin to suspect him and the aura of the surprise is gone, especially since he had the DUI and that alone made some question if he was guilty. I mean, on one hand some want a surprise and, on the other, they want more shown and that sometimes hurts the story. If you want to make this murder story shocking, then you have to do it this way or else you risk clueing the audience in too soon on Nick losing it. I mean, Nick was barely shown this year. There have been rumors of him leaving off and on for awhile so if you decide to expose things too soon, people will be smart enough to put two and two together and then when Nick is revealed as the killer, the impact will be gone. I think your underestimating the viewer and treating them as dumb in a sense if you handle it that way. It's clear to the audience that something was up with Nick. The DUI showed that. The next day him drinking at the Pub in the morning, the day after a DUI, showed that. Sure, they didn't show popping a pill but they showed enough to show that Nick was not himself and that is just as well.

The only time I feel Higley is screwed up with missing story beats was when Kate and Daniel had sex offscreen because I feel like she was in control enough then to be responsible for that. Other then that, I see no problem with story beats. I did have an issue with Nick's DUI but now with this revelation, I understand why she took that approach.

My theory about Trent is simply grasping at straws. I doubt it would happen but, even if it did, I'm not saying Trent forced Nick to take the pulls. I was thinking Nick was already relying on them but Trent switched them with stronger stuff to provide a more adverse reaction, perhaps to get back at Melanie in some way. Something like that.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Oct 23 2008, 10:44 AM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 23 2008, 02:05 AM
I just don't see Nick trying to convince Melanie that she did it. That just seems very un-Nick like.
I know right. Nick & Dena must be taking the same pills. :shame:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Blake is a great young actor, who has had nothing to work with. All we know about Nick is he was a "geek" growing up, and then he fell for a girl, who has treated him like crap for the past two years. This could be the story to define who this character is. We really don't know anything about his
background or what drives him. This could be really good.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Oct 23 2008, 10:38 AM
Come to think of it...there was some subtle hints. At the hospital after being shot, the nurse asked Nick of he wanted more pain meds or something. Then you have his behavior since then, which has been erratic. I think the DUI was designed to hint at him losing control and something not being right. It wasn't show much about what he did but what drove him to do it. His guilt was showing itself and it's likely he ran out of painkillers and resorted to alcohol that night.

I understand why many will slighted we didn't see him popping a pill or two but to me it's just giving away too much. If they did that, people would begin to suspect him and the aura of the surprise is gone, especially since he had the DUI and that alone made some question if he was guilty. I mean, on one hand some want a surprise and, on the other, they want more shown and that sometimes hurts the story. If you want to make this murder story shocking, then you have to do it this way or else you risk clueing the audience in too soon on Nick losing it. I mean, Nick was barely shown this year. There have been rumors of him leaving off and on for awhile so if you decide to expose things too soon, people will be smart enough to put two and two together and then when Nick is revealed as the killer, the impact will be gone.
Could you please pull up those scenes, maybe? Because I don't remember anything regarding pain medications with Nick. And I'm not buying the nurse asking if he wants some meds as a hint that he's going to become an addict. That's just procedure for the nurse to do. That doesn't mean every patient that the nurse asks will become an addict.

I want more hints. I want to see Nick taking these pills, perhaps in a throw away scene at the pub, at the beginning of the episode before a character comes and starts talking to Nick. It wouldn't have been too out there or causing a red flag to go up because we know that he was just shot and would definitely be taking pain pills.

Taking the pills would not be giving away too much. That's the problem with DAYS writers it seems. Either they give too much away, or they don't give enough. Find a middle ground. Seeing Nick pop pills in every single scene, many pills at a time, yes, that's giving away too much and would cause a fan to wonder if Nick is possibly addicted to these pills. But having not see him take on pill, that's not giving enough away.

Like I said in the other posts I've made, we should've seen Nick taking some pills, it could've just looked like a normal thing because he was just shot and of course he would be on pain meds. Nothing out of the blue there.

And it's not making the murder story shocking. Yes, it's shocking at first to know that Nick's the killer, but once you really read into it and once we watch it, the shock goes away and the stupidity comes to light. The fact that it doesn't make sense causes people to be turned off and scracth their heads, wondering WTF?!

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Sorry Phoenix. I think it's a ball dropping event if they don't at least let us in on the fact he's even still taking medication. They could have used that to set him up to look more like a suspect (which I still think many would have shrugged as no one can comprehend Nick really killing anyone) or they coudl have made a couple of throwaway moments. Nick taking a pill in front of Chelsea way back when they talked at the pub about Melanie. It might also be interesting to see him take it and show that aggresive side when she mentioned Melanie but then I admit that might be too on the nose then.

I admit Nick has been acting strangely lately but the fact is we've not seen Nick for MONTHS and many viewers might not really know how Nick acts. Sure we have Hope, Chelsea and Melanie proclaming Nick's actions but if many of us are acting taken aback to this news about Nick, then they've missed a step.

I don't know, it's the exact opposite problem of Max who was shown acting strangely for weeks (months?) and then to lamely explain he's a genius instead of a jerk for altering Nick's formula which incidentally could be something else to have pushed NIck into this behavior.

I guess another thing that upsets me is if this had come up when Nick wasn't around at all, maybe I could take it then. But they seemed to really be setting up a triangle with him in the center and it's something I've always wanted for him. Now that looks shot to hell. Maybe Chelsea will still be there but I think it hurts Mick!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply