Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Trent's killer is.....; UPDATED
Topic Started: Oct 23 2008, 01:36 AM (7,210 Views)
Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Oct 23 2008, 06:57 PM
Count me in as one of those who would never have equated "Nick seems to have possible problem with painkillers" to "Nick is a serious murder suspect." And even if it were the case that people suspected Nick, so? Murder mysteries are only fun when there are multiple candidates with legitimate motives and evidentiary ties. Nick was already established as someone who had a grudge against Trent and he also had that hand injury. Fine. So if they're writing that in, why weren't they writing in a scene or two before Trent's murder--back when we had everyone screaming how much they wanted Trent dead--of Nick taking pain pills? It didn't have to be done to ominous music and have Nick shoveling them into his mouth. It could have just been an ordinary, understandable scene or two of Nick taking prescription medication and then I would have been fine with this.
I always thought they missed another good opportunity since Nick was crazily willing to give Trent the grant money to get rid of him but he was killed that very night. Why not let Nick give Trent the money but Trent doesn't leave giving Nick even more motive to kill him?

I guess I can actually overlook a lot of this but the part of Nick sending Melanie letters and making threatening phone calls is what scares me to death. I have no idea how Nick can come back from that even with the drug abuse excuse. Factor in the Brady's realizing that Nick apparently was willing to let either Caroline or Max head to prison and I don't think they are going to be all that sympathetic either.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Charmqn
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Oct 23 2008, 06:38 PM
You will see scenes in the next couple of weeks that indicate Nick has an addiction. Remember in my Tiny Tidbits post where I mention Nick finds a prescription? Now, thanks to Angie, we know more.
yeah is this a long term storyline or are they setting up for Blake to leave?

I always thought that maybe they are setting up for a chick reunion

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

esp13
Oct 23 2008, 11:02 AM
I have to agree with Drew and Tripp. It's bad storytelling not to do anything to set this up. As Drew said, nobody is talking about hitting us over the head with it, but just the simple things like showing Nick taking a pain pill once in a while. Or maybe even a reference to his pain medication when he got his DUI (mixing meds with alcohol). I don't think anybody would have seen that and immediately assumed Nick was the killer. I don't think it ruins the surprise at all. In fact, in my opinion, the surprise is damaged far more by the failure to set anything up properly than by anything else.

This smacks of yet another late made decision in this storyline. We already know that they changed everything dramatically and decided to kill Trent off. Now it sounds like they changed things again and are going down a road they never set up for. I'm not totally against it in that, if it's handled correctly it could still be quite good. But that doesn't mean the set-up wasn't blown.
You can count me in on this, too. How many people really watch those little details several weeks in the past? One little hint, plus a DUI, and then it comes to this? I like Drew's idea of the bottles in private and stuff like that. This............this is too much. It's like conversing with my kid, who spouts things off that she's been thinking about, believing that I knew what was on her mind.
It's too unsettling for those who grew to love Nick, and probably too confusing for those just getting to know Nick. And, if they bring up Jessica's past mental illness, well, when was that last mentioned? They haven't had any Jessica discussions lately that I recall.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Never mind
Edited by ladyofthelake, Oct 23 2008, 08:58 PM.

cassie1013

lol way to take a likable character to an unlikable one!

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Sloppy writing or...?

Some people in real life are very good at hiding an affliction such as an addiction. Maybe Nick is not addicted yet but becomes addicted - anyone can easily and swiftly get hooked on painkillers. I know friends who take Vicodin like they are M&M's.

I know that was probably not much help but I just wanted to point out that addictions can happen quickly and sometimes quietly.

Mason
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Oct 23 2008, 10:04 PM
Sloppy writing or...?

Some people in real life are very good at hiding an affliction such as an addiction. Maybe Nick is not addicted yet but becomes addicted - anyone can easily and swiftly get hooked on painkillers. I know friends who take Vicodin like they are M&M's.

I know that was probably not much help but I just wanted to point out that addictions can happen quickly and sometimes quietly.
I'm not arguing that addictions can't happen quickly and/or quietly, but we, the viewers, should have seen it happening, even if the other characters did not. And putting aside the fact that we haven't seen signs of Nick being an addict for just a moment, I don't believe that any amount of painkillers in the world would turn Nick into a cold-blooded murderer.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

OneBadKitty
Oct 23 2008, 10:04 PM
Sloppy writing or...?

Good point but I suspect he's been on them for awhile. That is his out. They will want him to have a way out of this.

Maybe it's just me as to this not bothering me. Clearly, I'm in the minority, which is nothing new LOL.

For me, the way it plays out could get me to change my mind. It all depends on how they approach this. If it comes off as too jarring and a bit all over the place, then my view on this will change drastically but, just going by what we know, it doesn't bother me but I can see why it bothers others.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Can't we just be happy its not Claude? That there is a shocker....I still think Nick saw Trent attacking Melanie and killed him to protect her and she blocked it out...And the pain killer addiction probably got worse with all the stress from keeping the secret..

Mason
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Oct 23 2008, 11:22 PM
Can't we just be happy its not Claude?
Who's said that they're not?

I'm definitely glad it's not Claude. But does that mean I have to be happy with who it is? Hell no. I want to be surprised, but not like this, when the surprise doesn't even make any sense.
Edited by Mason, Oct 23 2008, 11:27 PM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

But we knew it wasn't Max, Stephanie, or Caroline..Melanie being the killer would have been far too obvious especially after this week...Also Nicole already "killed" Colin, so making her the killer would have been kind of repetitive...Nick really is the best choice for a shocker and having it be a contract cast member..

Kenny
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
LoL, that's like saying "can't we just be happy we're being forced to eat dog shit instead of baby shit?"

With so many things on this show, any option we're given is crap.

As for me personally, I'm kind of indifferent to this. "Meh" is my reaction.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 23 2008, 11:31 PM
Kevc1980
LoL, that's like saying "can't we just be happy we're being forced to eat dog shit instead of baby shit?"

With so many things on this show, any option we're given is crap.

As for me personally, I'm kind of indifferent to this. "Meh" is my reaction.
Personally, i think having Nick be the killer is awesome...I would have picked him or Max...and the pill popping is just giving him a potential out.....

Mason
Member Avatar

I'd say the pill popping is more of an out for the writers than it is for Nick...

sungrey

Hmmm. Interesting. I'm going to wait and see how this plays out before I grade the storyline, but if it's done correctly it can be decent. I'd like to see them incorporate the fact his mom had a split personality and maybe she passed it down. Who knows?

jane1978

Kevc1980
Can't we just be happy its not Claude? That there is a shocker....I still think Nick saw Trent attacking Melanie and killed him to protect her and she blocked it out...And the pain killer addiction probably got worse with all the stress from keeping the secret..
Thanks. Iīm pretty sure it will not be a cold blooded murder. There is no motivation for it. But Nick likes/love Mel, so he would no doubt try to protect her if he saw Trent yelling at her and throwing her around. And if he picked up the knife...

The painkiller stuff seems to be just a classic DAYS out, so Nick can stay. And of course they need to show it really effects him, thus all that upcoming creepy and weird Nick stuff.

It sounds good. I mean it will be a real shocker if this nice and sweet guy suddenly turns into a monster and Mel will be with him all alone in an empty house.

As for not showing it sooner, thatīs classic thriller. There are tons of movies where the bad guy is almost too perfect and nice and always comforting the girl (future victim), only to turn into a real monster in the last act, usually when he is with the girl alone and she is all vulnerable and believes the true killer was already caught.

Edited by jane1978, Oct 24 2008, 01:35 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Oct 24 2008, 01:34 AM
Kevc1980
Thanks. Iīm pretty sure it will not be a cold blooded murder. There is no motivation for it. But Nick likes/love Mel, so he would no doubt try to protect her if he saw Trent yelling at her and throwing her around. And if he picked up the knife...

The painkiller stuff seems to be just a classic DAYS out, so Nick can stay. And of course they need to show it really effects him, thus all that upcoming creepy and weird Nick stuff.

It sounds good. I mean it will be a real shocker if this nice and sweet guy suddenly turns into a monster and Mel will be with him all alone in an empty house.

As for not showing it sooner, thatīs classic thriller. There are tons of movies where the bad guy is almost too perfect and nice and always comforting the girl (future victim), only to turn into a real monster in the last act, usually when he is with the girl alone and she is all vulnerable and believes the true killer was already caught.

Good post. Exactly where I'm coming from on this.

The other thing too is Days has an illness story going on and did two drug-related stories this year already (Brady's which happened offscreen but still and Ava's) so they may not want to do some big drug addiction story. I think the painkiller thing is just a way of keeping Nick around. A plot point. Maybe that aspect of it wasn't developed at the time. Maybe the show was going to write Nick out but changed their mind. Maybe Whitesell suggested this. Who knows. With all the transition shit that happened, it would make sense.

My theory is that he just had an adverse reaction to them and he just lost control, which would explain why he is going off the deep end, kind of like what happened with Ava. That would make me mad though. I hope they just leave it as a plain-old addiction and don't go the route of the pills being tainted or him having some abnormal reaction. Painkillers on their own can cause abnormal behavior if misused so I hope they keep it simple.

It would be fascinating if they tied in his mom's split personalities. That would be amazing.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

FanODays
Oct 23 2008, 06:18 PM
Why does this remind me of when Larry Welch was killed and Shawn D thought he killed Colin, became distraught and addicted to pills? Higley wrote that to so all I see is her coming up with a way to reuse the same plot devices.

If Nick did it and they don't use a similar stunt like they did with Shawn I wonder if Nick is really going to prison of if he will be kept out of the slammer.
C&B were the ones that wrote that. Shawn thought he had killed Colin but the bullet missed so Colin faked being shot and fell to the ground, Shawn dropped the gun and ran away. When Colin was getting up Nicole took the gun and told Colin to stop blackmail her, he tried to take the gun and that's when he was shot. Shawn was the one that went to jail but Victor forced Larry to take the fall for Colin's murder, of course later on Colin turned up alive on Melaswen but that's another story ;)

Charmqn
Member Avatar

I am hoping its a long story for Nick, OBK, have you heard anything else about this storyline with Nick?

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Reminding me of Ava helps actually because her drug addiction was her only excuse for some really obsessive behavior. If she got off from the charges then Nick better get off for his itsy bitsy murdering of the devil incarnate.

My problem now though is learning this I can't help but see Nick differently. I'm looking for signs that he's a killer/addict (not seeing any yet) and also any sweet gestures he's doing for Melanie seems tainted now that he's trying to cover up his own involvement. I was really enjoying the triangle until I heard about this.

Now that doesn't mean this story can't be good once they do reveal Nick and get closer ot that time. I'm still hoping Blake is getting some fantastic material but that it doesn't' drag out too long. They have a bad habit of writing this stuff to last way longer then most viewers have the patience to watch (Ava and even Max).

Another thing I would like is as we get more and more of DarthNick, I'd like them to make sure they keep us reminded of the old Nick too. It could be Nick doing something totally Nick-like or we have a flashback to a classic Nick/Chick moment (I gave up hope of Chick getting a montage, sure Shelle got a montage when Brandon had only been in the role for 6 months but after 2 years Chick has had nothing). It could also serve to help illustrate the complete contrast DarthNick is to the real one.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply