Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
When will Sammi reveal to EJ she is preggers?
Topic Started: Oct 25 2008, 12:44 AM (3,133 Views)
Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

faithloveright
Oct 31 2008, 01:20 PM
I think that instead of attacking one or two innocent fans who never did or said anything negative about the other fan base just because someone somewhere did is unfair and unneccisary. Why can't you just keep to the topic? She asked when people thought Sami was going to tell EJ, not if you think that she should be having the baby or not. If you want to talk about that, maybe you should start a post on that .... start a debate. then only people who are willing to have their views attacked will be in there reading it.
I'm not sure what you're talking about attacking one or two innocent fans. For one thing, the original post did not merely ask the question about when Sami would tell EJ she was pregnant; it also said that the poster thought Nicole didn't really want her baby except as a way to hang on to EJ. So the original poster herself didn't even keep to the topic of "when will Sami tell EJ" but added a critique of Nicole as being someone who didn't even want a baby.

You have the right to express your opinions, as do others, even when you don't like them or agree with them. I see no reason why people can't say, in a thread about when Sami will tell EJ she's pregnant, that they don't like Sami being pregnant in the first place and that they wish she would not have her baby. Once again, this is fiction. Nobody is wishing death on real-life babies or fetuses.
Edited by Paxton, Oct 31 2008, 01:42 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

faithloveright
Member Avatar

wow. if the people on this board really think it is perfectly ok to say whatever they want about whatever they want whereever they want to whomever they want, even after being told that they are being offensive, I can guarentee, this will be the last time I EVER visit this site again, and I'll make sure that eVERYONE I know stays away as well. It's just plain rude.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

I see Ejami fans wishing for a Nicole miscarriage, and I've seen EJole and Lumi fans wish for a Sami miscarriage. No fanbase is worse than the other in this regard. Right or wrong, they're all doing it.

As far as EJ finding out about the pregnancy, if Sami comes out of witness protection before the end of the pregnancy, I don't see how everyone in town won't know she's pregnant. It's silly that they couldn't figure it out before. As for where the storyline goes after that, who knows.

Alligato
Member Avatar

faithloveright
Oct 31 2008, 01:45 PM
wow. if the people on this board really think it is perfectly ok to say whatever they want about whatever they want whereever they want to whomever they want, even after being told that they are being offensive, I can guarentee, this will be the last time I EVER visit this site again, and I'll make sure that eVERYONE I know stays away as well. It's just plain rude.
faith - what is so wonderful about this board is that people can say what they want about any character and it is fine. And as long as they aren't attacking posters, it is fine. It's all in good fun regarding the show, and on this board 99% of the time, it is all in good fun.

If you find it offensive, I am sorry, but just don't read it.

And I agree, on some boards I used to visit, it wasn't that they wanted the baby to be miscarried or stillborn, it was the way they said it with so much anger and hositility- and you know what I am talking about - so my solution is to not post there and get affected by it anymore.
I don't see that kind of talk here. In fact, people are pretty easy going in recognizing how stories are being played out. There is no malice!

If some things touch us personally, we remind ourselves that it is just a silly story with fictional people, and if it still hurts us, we should find a different show until the story is over.

six
Member Avatar

Quote:

It's hard for a fan of EITHER base to read such statements about their favorite couple.

I'm sorry for anyone who has to go through any sort of pain in real life. I can understand why it would be hard for them to see it play out on screen.

However, one of the things that I like about this board is that the characters are fair game. There are plenty of ejami and ejole only sites where the sensitive members of fanbases won't have to see anyone wishing ill on their favorite characters.

Days4Life

In order for soaps to resonate emotionally and pull in the viewer, they rely on drama, and tragedy brings great drama. Some of the best DAYS stories involved great tragedy--Addie dying in order to save Hope, Marlena and Don's baby dying of SIDS, Isabella's death from pancreatic cancer, Zack's death...all of these stories were very sad and distressing and I'm sure there were viewers who had experienced the same thing in their own life (in fact, one of those stories happened in my own family). But that is what creates an emotional bond between the characters and viewers and keeps someone like me watching for my whole life. Yes, some of the fanbases may go a little overboard wishing bad things on their favorite's rival, but they are talking about the fictional character and not the real actor. There really is a difference.

Irocgirl
Member Avatar

Uhmmm my gosh Ipe I did not make a fight in this topic I see alot of people fighting over who Miscarrys.Gosh no were in there did I say anthing about a miscarage.But as I was saying it is wrong to say I hope she miscarrys.But I hope I did not start a fight>>>>

faithloveright
Member Avatar

I'm back and I've had some time to cool off. While I understand that sometimes in order to further a storyline, I still think that it is going overboard to out and out say that a character needs to lose a child just because we think they already have too many. I personally think that the writers should use this as a serious safe sex storyline. They are sending out all of the wrong messages right now with having a man just jump from one woman to another and never once use any sort of protection. I don't think that they needed to write either pregnancy into the storyline right now, as there are already too many babies on the show as it is. With them putting Ali in the overly big shirts and putting her into witness protection away from everyone, I really don't see why they felt the need to make Sami pregnant. At the same time, since Ari isn't really pregnant, and she was drinking when the pregnancy started, I think that they were very irresponsible to make her character pregnant as in doing so, they are sending out yet another wrong message to young people... saying it is perfectly ok to have unprotected sex with whomever they want and to drink like a fish all they want, because you can still have a perfectly healthy baby even when you are having at least "three drinks with every meal" like Nicole flat out admitted she had been doing up until she was told she was pregnant.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

faithloveright
Nov 1 2008, 07:02 PM
I'm back and I've had some time to cool off. While I understand that sometimes in order to further a storyline, I still think that it is going overboard to out and out say that a character needs to lose a child just because we think they already have too many. I personally think that the writers should use this as a serious safe sex storyline. They are sending out all of the wrong messages right now with having a man just jump from one woman to another and never once use any sort of protection. I don't think that they needed to write either pregnancy into the storyline right now, as there are already too many babies on the show as it is. With them putting Ali in the overly big shirts and putting her into witness protection away from everyone, I really don't see why they felt the need to make Sami pregnant. At the same time, since Ari isn't really pregnant, and she was drinking when the pregnancy started, I think that they were very irresponsible to make her character pregnant as in doing so, they are sending out yet another wrong message to young people... saying it is perfectly ok to have unprotected sex with whomever they want and to drink like a fish all they want, because you can still have a perfectly healthy baby even when you are having at least "three drinks with every meal" like Nicole flat out admitted she had been doing up until she was told she was pregnant.
There are a lot of messages that Days has been sending out to younger viewers that they really shouldn't be.
Drinking before you find out you are pregnant (and Nicole hasn't had a drop since she found out she was pregnant) is nothing considering some of the other s/l's we've been forced to swallow as "acceptable" the past 2+ years. Being irresponsible in Nicole's case, would only occur if she kept drinking IMO. Actually I think Days sent out a good message as Nicole did stop drinking immediately. :shrug:

Edited by mesagirl, Nov 1 2008, 08:57 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

faithloveright
Name a soap, though, that DOESN'T have someone getting pregnant from unprotected sex. That's part of the soap genre, and has been for decades. I don't see why Days should get slapped doing that. Even ER has had, I think, three female doctors get pregnant while unwed. I'm not saying that's necessarily right. But Days shouldn't get criticized alone because of it.
I will agree with you about the Sami pregnancy, though. I think it was unnecessary. In witness protection, for pete's sake, she could be sitting on the sofa a lot holding pillows over her stomach or she could be shot from shoulders up. There were ways around it without involving plants or Stan.
As far as losing a child...people will say what they want to say. In the end, IF a character loses a child to make for good drama, then that's part of life, which is what a soap dramatizes. It's a touchy subject if a character gets raped, too. Oh, my gosh, the hullabaloo about One Life to Live and an amnesiatic woman falling for her past rapist without knowing he was her rapist is really got people in an uproar. And, on One Life, there are two pregnant woman. One IS going to lose a baby, and it's going to be part of a baby-swap thing. OK, that might be too lame and overdone. I'll have to see it play out, but I think there could have been something different done with that. It's not a fresh idea.
And what about Zach's death on Days? This was a little boy who already bonded with the audience. It was heart-wrenching. I cried buckets for days. And it gave Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell (and Jason Cook) some of their best material ever. (Granted, the bullcrap that happened AFTER Zach was buried totally ruined it, but I digress).
Years ago, Marlena lost a baby to SIDS. I still get teary-eyed watching those clips. It was beautifully done, and the storyline where this incident helped rip apart her marriage to Don Craig was sadly, too realistic, but very well done.
So, really, for good soap, sad real life things need to be addressed. It's the way it's handled in the writing and acting that are the deciding factors in whether it's good soap or not.
If Nicole bears a disabled or addicted child due to her drinking (I doubt addicted, though, since she DID quit), I can only hope they'll give Ari dialogue that she can kick ass on. The way Ari has prepared herself since leaving Days the first time gives me hope that she will do the ultimate to give a storyline like this justice.

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

faithloveright
I am glad that you are concerned about sending out appropriate messages to young people. We should scrap Ejami right now! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It's not Days' responsibility to act as a moral pillar to society, nor should people look to Days for examples of what is acceptable behavior. If tptb felt that way, then they wouldn't write 80% of the storylines that they do and I also think many viewers would be bored. Scandal, corruption, affairs, and things of that sort are often what cause the drama and intrigue on all soap operas. Nicole having a baby could be viewed as controversial, but I don't think it's crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply