Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Dena Higley blog 10/28
Topic Started: Oct 28 2008, 05:47 PM (5,311 Views)
SoapGal1
Member Avatar

As an Ejami fan, let me say, that I don't put any stock in Dena's "hang on for the long haul" comment. We've been hanging on............we've still got a big nothing. I don't think the Ejami's have any more hope of getting the payoff they deserve than any other fanbase out there. I would love it if we did, and I do think it's WAY past time, but I'm sure not holding my breath!! :frustration:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

leelee
Member Avatar

If I were an Ejami fan, I'd be a little nervous by her "hang on" comment. She said that to the J&M fans etc. and look where they're at now. Getting divorced and backburned though that is subject to change. Then again she would never backburn either one of those characters.

angmc
Member Avatar

heartsong
Oct 28 2008, 10:58 PM
angmc
Oct 28 2008, 10:10 PM
heartsong
Oct 28 2008, 09:45 PM
Rakesh198
Oct 28 2008, 08:53 PM
I think Ejami fans deserves a nice romantic storyline. There is no denying that this fan base isn't huge at all. I'm not saying that because I'm an Ejami fan. I'm pretty fair.
What makes Ejami fans more deserving than other fans? Why should they be catered to on a silver platter?
Catered to?!?!?! On what fucking planet are EJami fans catered to??? What show are you watching???
Did you even read my entire post, including what I quoted?
Yep..I read it and just because she mentioned EJami fans doesn't mean we are catered to. Most EJami fans feel they are screwed over and over again. I think the only reason she referenced EJami was because they WON'T be on together anytime soon while other couples will at least be able to share the same air.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Im glad I don't watch the show mainly for one couple, that has to make it difficult to watch on a consistent basis.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

Okay, does Dena believe in anything BUT fanbases? Why does she have to mention any fanbase at all? Why can't she just write a show instead of these ongoing "happy hour payoffs" that occur every month for each couple? Stop with the damn flip-flopping, you (or whoever the hell wrote it) wouldn't have this "Who should I please?" problem in the first place if you (or whoever the hell wrote it) didn't "shake up" the couples to begin with. Let's get some damn structure and direction, please.

Kenny
Member Avatar

fenderbabe
Oct 28 2008, 11:21 PM
Okay, does Dena believe in anything BUT fanbases? Why does she have to mention any fanbase at all? Why can't she just write a show instead of these ongoing "happy hour payoffs" that occur every month for each couple? Stop with the damn flip-flopping, you (or whoever the hell wrote it) wouldn't have this "Who should I please?" problem in the first place if you (or whoever the hell wrote it) didn't "shake up" the couples to begin with. Let's get some damn structure and direction, please.
A-M-E-N!

I'm as unimpressed with this hack as I've ever been.

King
Member Avatar

I really enjoy her blogs!

In the minority, but whatever! :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

fenderbabe
Oct 28 2008, 11:21 PM
Ok...that is far from Dena's fault.

That shit began in the 90's and Corday made it worse by constantly catering to them. The fact that this show has to constantly assure fanbases in every God damn long-term preview or every now and then in articles, blogs, whatever speaks to the fanabse problem Days and all of daytime has. Again, I'm generalizing and not saying every fanbase or every person in one is the problem. Just in general.

I don't blame Dena for this at all. She is probably told to do that in any interview she gives. The fanbase issue is both TPTB's fault and the fanbases fault. Corday created an environment that has Days living and dying by fanbases so he is in constant fear of pissing off even one fanabse, no matter how minimal. That is why the show spends more time worrying about throwing each and every fanbase a bone instead of focusing on telling stories. My hope is that someone gets into Corday's head and tells him this...

ENOUGH WITH THE FRICKING FICKLE AS HELL FANBASES CONTROLLING THIS GOD DAMN FUCKING SHOW!!!

Seriously, I blame the internet big time for this. Spoilers, message boards...everything. If we had all this in the 90's, I can guarantee people would be pulling the same shit then too. It's insane. I just hope the show realizes it's all about the stories and that this is an ensemble. The ratings are what they are. Nothing will change them. The show just needs to focus on keeping the audience it has. More Steve/Kayla/Bo/Hope/John/Marlena/etc won't do jack to the ratings without good stories. It doesn't matter who the good stories go to. Just tell good stories. Thankfully, the show has direction now. Dena seems excited here and that is a very good sign. She seems to like both Gary and Chris and all sounds well. That is promising. When everyone is in sync with each other, it shows. The show has responded. Demos are up. Overall numbers are back up. The show has actual stories again and it's not relying on one group (vet, young cast, etc). The vets were big earlier this year and now it's time for the others to shine (of course, contracts have alot to do with it too). Around December, I expect to see the vets more but it's not about one group. It's about the whole show and what is best for it. Everyone deserves time to shine.

I'm with King. I see no problem with this blog. I like it, especially this, which I feel is her best entry. Everyone wanted her to talk about the show. She does so here right off the bat. If you don't want to hear about her family, don't read it. That's all. Just skim the entry and read what you want. Blogs are for personal stuff too and part of the purpose is for us to get to know her. I'm interested in it. If some aren't, that's fine but some are.

I really hope the show gives Sami/Rafe a chance. Like Mason. I'm really annoyed she threw that bone to the Ejami fans. I don;t blame her for it (this goes back to my rant further above) but I just hate that the show feels it has to do that to prevent fans from bolting. Just tell stories and let people decide to stay around. If they don't, try to pick up some other fans to off set the losses. That's all. I just hate when Corday and co hint at who is endgame. It ruins investment in the story. I just hope the show allows for EJ/Nicole and Sami/Rafe to explore things before settling on Ej/Sami.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

The reason the fanbases get mentioned in blogs and soap magazines is because they are important to these shows right now. The ratings keep dropping and they know they will lose a lot of viewers if they continue to piss large fanbases off.

jane1978

phloeishot
Oct 29 2008, 02:44 AM
The reason the fanbases get mentioned in blogs and soap magazines is because they are important to these shows right now. The ratings keep dropping and they know they will lose a lot of viewers if they continue to piss large fanbases off.
Ratings dropping doesnīt have anything common with fanbases. Itīs all about lack of direction and inconsistencies. Just look at DAYS, from the moment Reilly had been fired the show went through transition after transition, characters and couples and stories were introduced with a huge fanfair only to be dropped with no care and few months later and there was no trust between writers and viewers. How many times the show can cut something just as people starts to care before people turns off their TV in disgust.

Most of last year was totally pointless. Most of this year, again, pointless. Itīs scary, but the last time the show had some clear longterm vision, albeit the wrong one, was during Langan and the teen invasion. Atleast he knew what he wants and he had power to accomplish that.

Now, Gary Tomlin hopefully is the guy, especially if the rumours about Corday finally giving up the creative control are true. The show really underwent huge change for better the last month or so both on screen and off screen. Right now, half of the cast is on backburner, but atleast the stories which are on screen seems to go somewhere. And, what a surprise, ratings and especially demos are already getting better even if the boards are still full of disgruntled Ejami, Ejole, Lumi, Phloe and Jarlena fans swearing they will never watch the show again.

Edited by jane1978, Oct 29 2008, 05:13 AM.

jules

phloeishot
Not sure I agree entirely that the fanbases are that important, but I can't even put into words how much I disagree with the blame put on fanbases for the demise of soaps. IMO, it is totally, completely and entirely the fault of incompetent writers and producers. I used to follow and enjoy just about every soap and now I casually watch GH because it's on when I get home from work and Days because I still love J&M. Being part of a "rabid fanbase" is the ONLY thing that has kept me interested. All the soaps(including DAYS) have forgotten how to write soaps and what draws viewers in and holds fans interest. It is not mob stories that make villians heros, it's not putting a multitiude of unknown characters into forntburner stories and it's not mixing and matching couples on a weekly basis.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Hmmmmmm Does appear with Dena reaching out to Ejamis that this is an Ejami angst story....Sadly, I am just not into watching it. I'll sit back and wait for this LONG ASS HAUL to be over and done with...until then DOOLS is not getting my ratings. Right now is the first time EVER in the history of the show that I am not liking a single SL. This woman is a hack imo.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

phloeishot
Exactly, and many are tuning the hell out. Dena has made one blunder after another.

cjknick
Member Avatar

James Scott in Peoria practically said the same thing about EJAMI - Ejami fans may be disappointed in the short term but the pay off happens in the long term ... I suppose if you are an EJAMI fan the word is patience! Keep watching this space ....

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Oct 29 2008, 01:01 AM
Seriously, I blame the internet big time for this. Spoilers, message boards...everything. If we had all this in the 90's, I can guarantee people would be pulling the same shit then too. It's insane.
It's funny you should say that. This is a hilarious blog entry my pal MaryPickford wrote up last year:

http://nospoilerdays.wordpress.com/2007/08/04/message-board-early-1987/

Alligato
Member Avatar

Okay. So what is the solution to the fanbase problem?

Take, for instance, EJami. If fans just want EJami together, why don't they put them together for a few months, then have them fight and Nicole get in the middle...would that make them a happy fanbase? Or is the fanbase only happy if their couple lives happily ever after and is sailed around the world? Same for Lumi.

So I agree that the writing is more important than what couple is together. If it is good writing, all fanbases will tune in to see what happens because if there is movement, eventually all fanbases will be happy.

I wish that we could scrap the Melanies and the Bradys and write a few more stories for the Jarlenas - the one fanbase who can't get the story no matter what seems to happen.

I will say that it is annoying that Dena always gives a shout out to the EJamis even though they usually trash her on the blogs. I have seen "burn in hell" comments all the time, so why is she giving away the ending to keep them happy?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Alligato
Oct 29 2008, 08:35 AM
Okay. So what is the solution to the fanbase problem?

Take, for instance, EJami. If fans just want EJami together, why don't they put them together for a few months, then have them fight and Nicole get in the middle...would that make them a happy fanbase? Or is the fanbase only happy if their couple lives happily ever after and is sailed around the world? Same for Lumi.

So I agree that the writing is more important than what couple is together. If it is good writing, all fanbases will tune in to see what happens because if there is movement, eventually all fanbases will be happy.

I wish that we could scrap the Melanies and the Bradys and write a few more stories for the Jarlenas - the one fanbase who can't get the story no matter what seems to happen.

I will say that it is annoying that Dena always gives a shout out to the EJamis even though they usually trash her on the blogs. I have seen "burn in hell" comments all the time, so why is she giving away the ending to keep them happy?
What I want from Days more than anything is a watchable show. Am I getting that? Nope. Of course I want the couple that I like together. What the fuck is wrong with that? I fail to see how liking a couple makes a fan base responsible for every ill on the show. I don't write the show. I suffer through watching it and that habit has dwindled to near nonexistence. I've become apathetic to the show pretty much. If I missed two weeks worth of episodes, I know I haven't missed much. I'm now down to watching perhaps once a week, if that.

I've already given up on EJ and Sami as far as them having a worthwhile story, as being a couple. Dena's shout out means about as much to me as a warm bucket of snot. Nada. Null. Zero. I judge by what airs on the show. And what I've seen doesn't backup anything this person has written on her blog.

And I've watched the rest of Dena's "compelling" stories on the show. There is not one that is holding my interest.

If Days were written as a whole show that paid attention to history, consistency, character, maybe I'd still watch despite the couple that I like not being together. But that is not how Days is written. I can't keep up with the inconsistencies. The piss poor dialogue that I'm treated to on a daily basis. I've noticed on several occasions Dena and the gang repeating scenes with different characters. Exact same scenario and dialogue. That to me screams quality!

In any case, anyone who think EJami fans are off their heads with joy because Ms. Higley decided to give them a shout out in her blog needs to think again. I don't believe a word she says. And even if I did, what kind of story would she pen? If the summer is any indicator of her idea of romance and a fan-fucking-tastic good time, I think I'll pass, EJami or no EJami.
Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

miou07
Oct 29 2008, 09:07 AM
What I want from Days more than anything is a watchable show. Am I getting that? Nope. Of course I want the couple that I like together. What the fuck is wrong with that? I fail to see how liking a couple makes a fan base responsible for every ill on the show. I don't write the show. I suffer through watching it and that habit has dwindled to near nonexistence. I've become apathetic to the show pretty much. If I missed two weeks worth of episodes, I know I haven't missed much. I'm now down to watching perhaps once a week, if that.

I've already given up on EJ and Sami as far as them having a worthwhile story, as being a couple. Dena's shout out means about as much to me as a warm bucket of snot. Nada. Null. Zero. I judge by what airs on the show. And what I've seen doesn't backup anything this person has written on her blog.

And I've watched the rest of Dena's "compelling" stories on the show. There is not one that is holding my interest.

If Days were written as a whole show that paid attention to history, consistency, character, maybe I'd still watch despite the couple that I like not being together. But that is not how Days is written. I can't keep up with the inconsistencies. The piss poor dialogue that I'm treated to on a daily basis. I've noticed on several occasions Dena and the gang repeating scenes with different characters. Exact same scenario and dialogue. That to me screams quality!

In any case, anyone who think EJami fans are off their heads with joy because Ms. Higley decided to give them a shout out in her blog needs to think again. I don't believe a word she says. And even if I did, what kind of story would she pen? If the summer is any indicator of her idea of romance and a fan-fucking-tastic good time, I think I'll pass, EJami or no EJami.
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Thank you, I totally agree with everything you said.

Ives
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Oct 28 2008, 05:55 PM
Does anyone really care who Sami ends up with?
Yeah - only so far as that these merry-go-round triangles/quadangles, etc. will FINALLY be over.

I may be a bad soap fan but the whole two baby daddy storyline turns me off - especially since we had a huge WTD storyline with the same couple last year.

Do any of the young women have a life outside of the men?

And, seriously, is it correct that everytime EJ seems to have had sex (other than with Kate), the woman ends up pregnant?

Alligato
Member Avatar

miou - you and I are saying the same things...we are sick of the writing, especially for EJami, regardless of what story is being played out.

Here's a question: would you like EJami right now with the shitty writing and the out-of-character characters? Or would you want to wait the "long haul" to see if the new cowriter and EP have any influence on a good storyline with better written characters?

Not that I have any faith that we will get either, but I do watch everyday (when I can) and I want to have hope that the couple that I like will get to where I want them acting the way they should.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply