Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Dena Higley blog 10/28
Topic Started: Oct 28 2008, 05:47 PM (5,251 Views)
ericfan400

I see a Chloe/Brady/Nicole triangel brewing here
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DolceDiMera
Member Avatar

FanODays
Oct 29 2008, 11:28 AM
heartsong
Oct 29 2008, 11:16 AM
angmc
Oct 28 2008, 11:13 PM
heartsong
Oct 28 2008, 10:58 PM
angmc
Oct 28 2008, 10:10 PM
heartsong
Oct 28 2008, 09:45 PM
Rakesh198
Oct 28 2008, 08:53 PM
I think Ejami fans deserves a nice romantic storyline. There is no denying that this fan base isn't huge at all. I'm not saying that because I'm an Ejami fan. I'm pretty fair.
What makes Ejami fans more deserving than other fans? Why should they be catered to on a silver platter?
Catered to?!?!?! On what fucking planet are EJami fans catered to??? What show are you watching???
Did you even read my entire post, including what I quoted?
Yep..I read it and just because she mentioned EJami fans doesn't mean we are catered to. Most EJami fans feel they are screwed over and over again. I think the only reason she referenced EJami was because they WON'T be on together anytime soon while other couples will at least be able to share the same air.
No, obviously you didn't because if you had you would have realized that I did not say Ejami fans are - present tense - catered to. I asked a poster why she felt Ejami fans deserve a storyline over other fans. Why don't Lumi fans deserve a good storyline? Why don't Ejole fans deserve a good storyline? How do you determine which fans are deserving and which fans are not? To imply that certain fans are somehow more deserving of something is absurd, IMO. The writers should be writing a show that everyone can enjoy, regardless of which direction you happen to sway in.
Exactly, plus what the hell is meant by 'good storyline?' Look back at any soap and think about what in hindsight is considered good and my guess is that one will find tons of hearbreak, interium relationships, marriages, etc. yet when you look at the whole thing if its well done it all fits together and makes a good storyline.

I admit that I am not likely to ever be a fan of EJami, but that aside, why does that pairing get a special call out? Thank you Dena you just demonstrated alot that is wrong with soaps these days.
Have you ever seen the comments left on her previous blogs? I think that will answer your question. Also, check out the NBC message board sometimes.

FanODays

six
Oct 29 2008, 12:13 PM
FanODays
Oct 29 2008, 11:58 AM
six
Oct 29 2008, 11:40 AM
FanODays
Oct 29 2008, 11:04 AM
miou07
Oct 29 2008, 10:24 AM
Alligato
Oct 29 2008, 10:07 AM
miou - you and I are saying the same things...we are sick of the writing, especially for EJami, regardless of what story is being played out.

Here's a question: would you like EJami right now with the shitty writing and the out-of-character characters? Or would you want to wait the "long haul" to see if the new cowriter and EP have any influence on a good storyline with better written characters?

Not that I have any faith that we will get either, but I do watch everyday (when I can) and I want to have hope that the couple that I like will get to where I want them acting the way they should.
Alligato -- I'd take a long-haul, well-written story with recognizable characters. That is actually my favorite kind of soap opera story, something that is built over time. I don't need instant gratification. The journey for any long-arc storyline, if well-written, is worth the wait and the ride. But here's the thing -- I see nothing to indicate that Dena is building any story for EJami or anyone else for that matter. It all seems random with no direction.

Am I willing to give the new EP and co-writer a chance? Certainly, if I believed they had a chance to make some positive changes to the show. But I don't believe that they do.
Exactly.

Tying this back to another conversation about fanbases, was it really necessary to say that EJami is the end game? That is trying to placate fanbases and keep them watching but how about just worrying about writing a story so amazing that ALL fanbases will care about it?

Now the Lumi and EJole fans can threaten to turn off their TV's unless they get what they want.

Having said all of that, I'm going to say that Higley's couples will be Bricole, Luloe and EJami, so why bother watching?
If you agree that the journey is important, and if Dena and co. can deliver a good, tight, story (which is admittedly a slim possibility) why wouldn't you bother watching?
Because most likely its going to throw history away, re-re-re-define characters, how else could they get Brady to even give Nicole the time of day?
Yes, but this is what soaps have done for years. Lumi, ejami, phloe, friendships like Chloe and Nicole etc.

If a fanbase is okay with "their" couple moving past really heavy stuff, then they should accept that others couples are going to get the same chance.
And for years soaps have been losing viewers, coincidence? Hmmmm.

Tell me, is the opinion of a viewer who is a vocal member of a couple's fanbase more important than the general viewers who watch the entire show? If it is, then that is ass backwards because I see lots of members of fanbases not watching because they don't like what is or is not happening with their favs while general viewers stick it out.

FanODays

DolceDiMera
Oct 29 2008, 12:28 PM
FanODays
heartsong
angmc
heartsong
angmc
heartsong
Rakesh198
I think Ejami fans deserves a nice romantic storyline. There is no denying that this fan base isn't huge at all. I'm not saying that because I'm an Ejami fan. I'm pretty fair.
What makes Ejami fans more deserving than other fans? Why should they be catered to on a silver platter?
Catered to?!?!?! On what fucking planet are EJami fans catered to??? What show are you watching???
Yep..I read it and just because she mentioned EJami fans doesn't mean we are catered to. Most EJami fans feel they are screwed over and over again. I think the only reason she referenced EJami was because they WON'T be on together anytime soon while other couples will at least be able to share the same air.
No, obviously you didn't because if you had you would have realized that I did not say Ejami fans are - present tense - catered to. I asked a poster why she felt Ejami fans deserve a storyline over other fans. Why don't Lumi fans deserve a good storyline? Why don't Ejole fans deserve a good storyline? How do you determine which fans are deserving and which fans are not? To imply that certain fans are somehow more deserving of something is absurd, IMO. The writers should be writing a show that everyone can enjoy, regardless of which direction you happen to sway in.
Exactly, plus what the hell is meant by 'good storyline?' Look back at any soap and think about what in hindsight is considered good and my guess is that one will find tons of hearbreak, interium relationships, marriages, etc. yet when you look at the whole thing if its well done it all fits together and makes a good storyline.

I admit that I am not likely to ever be a fan of EJami, but that aside, why does that pairing get a special call out? Thank you Dena you just demonstrated alot that is wrong with soaps these days.
Have you ever seen the comments left on her previous blogs? I think that will answer your question. Also, check out the NBC message board sometimes.
I've been to the NBC message board in the past and won't go back.

Nicole Walker

"I see a Chloe/Brady/Nicole triangel brewing here"

I agree. I think eventually Chloe will want Brady back and dump Lucas. So Lucas will be at odds with Brady as well along with EJ. Isn't Lucas related to Brady? What is Brady to him?

esp13
Member Avatar

Lucas is no related to Brady, accept by past marriages. Brady would be Lucas's ex-step-brother-in-law. They do share a family member in Philip (who is Lucas's brother and Brady's uncle).

six
Member Avatar

FanODays
Oct 29 2008, 12:34 PM
six
FanODays
six
FanODays
miou07
Alligato
miou - you and I are saying the same things...we are sick of the writing, especially for EJami, regardless of what story is being played out.

Here's a question: would you like EJami right now with the shitty writing and the out-of-character characters? Or would you want to wait the "long haul" to see if the new cowriter and EP have any influence on a good storyline with better written characters?

Not that I have any faith that we will get either, but I do watch everyday (when I can) and I want to have hope that the couple that I like will get to where I want them acting the way they should.
Alligato -- I'd take a long-haul, well-written story with recognizable characters. That is actually my favorite kind of soap opera story, something that is built over time. I don't need instant gratification. The journey for any long-arc storyline, if well-written, is worth the wait and the ride. But here's the thing -- I see nothing to indicate that Dena is building any story for EJami or anyone else for that matter. It all seems random with no direction.

Am I willing to give the new EP and co-writer a chance? Certainly, if I believed they had a chance to make some positive changes to the show. But I don't believe that they do.
Exactly.

Tying this back to another conversation about fanbases, was it really necessary to say that EJami is the end game? That is trying to placate fanbases and keep them watching but how about just worrying about writing a story so amazing that ALL fanbases will care about it?

Now the Lumi and EJole fans can threaten to turn off their TV's unless they get what they want.

Having said all of that, I'm going to say that Higley's couples will be Bricole, Luloe and EJami, so why bother watching?
If you agree that the journey is important, and if Dena and co. can deliver a good, tight, story (which is admittedly a slim possibility) why wouldn't you bother watching?
Because most likely its going to throw history away, re-re-re-define characters, how else could they get Brady to even give Nicole the time of day?
Yes, but this is what soaps have done for years. Lumi, ejami, phloe, friendships like Chloe and Nicole etc.

If a fanbase is okay with "their" couple moving past really heavy stuff, then they should accept that others couples are going to get the same chance.

Tell me, is the opinion of a viewer who is a vocal member of a couple's fanbase more important than the general viewers who watch the entire show? If it is, then that is ass backwards because I see lots of members of fanbases not watching because they don't like what is or is not happening with their favs while general viewers stick it out.
re the dwindling ratings, I said as much on the last page. Of course, that's only part of it. A lot of fans have stuck in there for years, and no one is obligated to watch so if your (the general your, I have no idea whether you personally are in a fanbase) final straw is your couple not getting together, fine. It's not like the history changes are new, though, so I don't see why that is going to make a long time viewer throw in the towel.

What makes you think most members of the fanbase don't watch the entire show? You may see vocal people saying that they are giving up on Days forever if they don't get their way, but why have you decided that they speak for the fanbase in general? I see a lot of anti-fanbase people here who haven't been watching either, and are here complaining. I don't see it as an either-or thing. EJ just came on screen. The majority of ejami fans had to be watching before he got there. I don't see how putting one couple together equals neglecting the other fans. The woman is planning on writing a show that will captivate everyone. She probably won't succeed, but I don't see what that has to do with the fanbases. You'd think she said she was backburnering everyone but EJ and Sami.

FanODays

six
Oct 29 2008, 12:46 PM
FanODays
six
FanODays
six
FanODays
miou07
Alligato

Exactly.

re the dwindling ratings, I said as much on the last page. Of course, that's only part of it. A lot of fans have stuck in there for years, and no one is obligated to watch so if your (the general your, I have no idea whether you personally are in a fanbase) final straw is your couple not getting together, fine. It's not like the history changes are new, though, so I don't see why that is going to make a long time viewer throw in the towel.

What makes you think most members of the fanbase don't watch the entire show? You may see vocal people saying that they are giving up on Days forever if they don't get their way, but why have you decided that they speak for the fanbase in general? I see a lot of anti-fanbase people here who haven't been watching either, and are here complaining. I don't see it as an either-or thing. EJ just came on screen. The majority of ejami fans had to be watching before he got there. I don't see how putting one couple together equals neglecting the other fans. The woman is planning on writing a show that will captivate everyone. She probably won't succeed, but I don't see what that has to do with the fanbases. You'd think she said she was backburnering everyone but EJ and Sami.
I think there are a lot of people who have stopped because they got tired of how their favs were treated. I base that on comments I read on the net and on how quieter soap boards are around the net.

What bugs me is that Higley made that comment rather than talking about how captivating the show will be, instead she tried to placate a fanbase.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
heartsong
angmc
heartsong
angmc
heartsong
Rakesh198
I'm a he...
:biggrin:

brimike

I have to throw in my two cents, because I don't think anyone's brought this up yet. There wouldn't BE an EJole if it wasn't for Dena Higley. We'd have no reason to even be having this conversation unless she brought Nicole back and threw her into story with EJ and Sami.

I'm not sure what to make about her EJami reference in her blog, because who knows what her meaning is in anything she writes on there. But I found it bizarre that she would try and soothe the monster, when it's a monster SHE created in the first place. Nicole could have easily been in a quad with Lucas, Chloe and Philip, and EJ and Sami could have been spun off into an entirely different story. But that wasn't her choice. She chose to CREATE EJole, and for a lot of fans, in essence, she created this fanbase that she now implies (to many, whether it's fact or not) that they shouldn't bother getting invested because EJami is the end game.

And Nicole was coming back during the strike, so you can't tell me that was Ed Scott's call and DH didn't want to do it. Although, again, I wasn't there, so what the hell do I know?

I just don't understand why she even bothered creating NEW fanbases on a show already overrun by numerous fan bases trying to have their voices heard... especially when they're not "the endgame".

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I've been reading thru all the posts, and I have to say, I agree with most of what's been said here.

I've watched DAYS for a long time. I've always had my "favs" but I continued to watch even when they weren't together. Many of you are right, it was continuity of ALL the stories that kept me watching. I cared about more than just one coupling. If my "favs" weren't together, there were other characters that I cared about and were interested in their story.

It's not that way anymore. That isn't due to "rabid" fans, I think there has always been those, remember when people stormed the NBC studios when they thought Marlena was dead? That was back in the 70's.

It's really not due to "catering" to one fanbase over another. I think TPTB are going to "cater" to the characters that they feel brings in the ratings. Historically, that's been Bope, Jarlena, Payla, etc. Now, I do think Ejami is the coupling that produces the most REACTION and probably the most ratings of the newer pairings. No doubt, James Scott is probably Days hottest commodity next to Ali Sweeney, so it only stands to reason that TPTB are going to pump up that pairing.

My problem is the writers are not giving us anything to come back for, to invest in, to WANT to watch day in and out. Since DH came on board most of the characters are unrecognizable. The stories are flat. What was pumped up to be the summer of romance was anything but, and was like watching paint dry. Frankly, I don't hold out much hope of TPTB being able to salvage what's left of this year.

I've stated early in this thread that I don't put ANY stock in DH giving a shout out to EJAMI's. She's given me nothing to prove that she can produce a story that's worth watching. It's a crying shame too, JS and AS chemistry (IMO) was off the charts...and the story of EJ and Sami could've been great. (I don't totally blame her for screwing that up...I blame alot of that on previous writers)

Maybe Whitesell and Tomlin can turn this Titanic around, if they do, I'll be the first to say so, but right now, I just don't see it.

Nicole Walker

LMAO. I said it once and i'll say it again. Dena will do what she wants to do. She says one thing and does another.

six
Member Avatar

FanODays
Oct 29 2008, 01:53 PM
six
Oct 29 2008, 12:46 PM
FanODays
six
FanODays
six
FanODays
miou07
Alligato

Exactly.

I think there are a lot of people who have stopped because they got tired of how their favs were treated. I base that on comments I read on the net and on how quieter soap boards are around the net.

What bugs me is that Higley made that comment rather than talking about how captivating the show will be, instead she tried to placate a fanbase.
The messageboards were getting huge amount of posts during the height of the ejamacus and shimi/shelle/phelle wars, when no one was happy.

Rolena/jarlena didn't kill Days. Someone recently linked to old clips, and no matter who you liked, there is no denying that that was a heartfelt, compelling story. Even jarlena/jisten was good, although more farfetched. Bo and Hope recently broke up for awhile, and even though it was a dealbreaker for some fans, how could you not be drawn in by Hope's pain over Zack and Bo's betrayal. You could see why Bo would be torn between his wife, and guilt over the daughter he never knew. It got ridiculous toward the end, but these were real, gripping storylines. No one was turned into a one dimensional monster, just to explain the break ups. These stories were carefully built, and you could feel for everyone in them. It seems like ejami is end game for awhile. There's no reason why DH can't take a page from the past, and build interesting drama that will keep us all watching.

I'm not denying that some people won't stop watching if their faves don't end up together, but if the show is good, the average fan will watch.

A lot of fanbases are holding on to seeing another writer's version (HS, JER, etc.) of their couple get together. How many ejamis and jarlenas etc. are saying they'd rather have the "old ____" than DH's version of the couple? If the character changes that she made aren't compelling enough that people care, it's not the general fan's fault, or the fanbases' fault. It's hers.
Edited by six, Oct 29 2008, 02:58 PM.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Being part of a "rabid fanbase" is the ONLY thing that has kept me interested. All the soaps(including DAYS) have forgotten how to write soaps and what draws viewers in and holds fans interest. It is not mob stories that make villians heros, it's not putting a multitiude of unknown characters into forntburner stories and it's not mixing and matching couples on a weekly basis.

Amen to that. My rabid fandom is the only thing keeping me watching this show - and because of said shipping, I am catching on to other pairings/stories (i.e., Nicole/EJ, Nick, Jawn, etc.) that I might not have watched because overall the show is a bastion of suckitude.

Maybe the reason Days talks about certain pairings is because at this point those fanbases are the only ones watching in hopes of getting any kind of crumb.

Days has managed to break the law of physics in sucking and blowing at the same time, and the show has been very bad for a very long time. That isn't the fanbases' fault. That's Corday's fault.

I will watch any kind of storyline with my favorite pairing as long as I KNEW that in the end they would be together (whenever that may be). In the 90s viewers could watch knowing that that's exactly how things would turn out - no matter what the obstacle, their favorites would always end up together. Things aren't like that any more. Days jerks its viewers around on a daily basis as it changes from one regime to the next. There is no consistency, no direction, nothing to convince viewers to tune in regularly.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Dena doesn't seem to understand that angst is not simply a couple torn apart or unable to get together due to extenuating circumstance.

Take for example, Stayla in the 80s. No matter what, you ALWAYS knew Steve and Kayla belonged together. They ALWAYS showed you they wanted each other - that they were apart of each other.

The show bent over backwards to get Steve and Kayla in scenes together on a regular basis so the show could hang onto their fans and capitalize on their chemistry even when their story was in its darkest hour.

FF to 2008 and compare this to the EJami story. EJ and Sami are almost NEVER in scenes together and who knows what either of them is thinking/feeling or even if they really want to be together.

If Dena has to tell people to hang on in order to get them to hang on then can't she see that something is wrong with her story??? Dena makes writing look a lot more difficult than it really is because she is so unfuckingbelievably bad at it. I am amazed the woman has worked this long and gotten three head writing jobs this decade.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Oct 29 2008, 05:12 AM
phloeishot
Oct 29 2008, 02:44 AM
The reason the fanbases get mentioned in blogs and soap magazines is because they are important to these shows right now. The ratings keep dropping and they know they will lose a lot of viewers if they continue to piss large fanbases off.
Ratings dropping doesnīt have anything common with fanbases. Itīs all about lack of direction and inconsistencies. Just look at DAYS, from the moment Reilly had been fired the show went through transition after transition, characters and couples and stories were introduced with a huge fanfair only to be dropped with no care and few months later and there was no trust between writers and viewers. How many times the show can cut something just as people starts to care before people turns off their TV in disgust.

Most of last year was totally pointless. Most of this year, again, pointless. Itīs scary, but the last time the show had some clear longterm vision, albeit the wrong one, was during Langan and the teen invasion. Atleast he knew what he wants and he had power to accomplish that.

Now, Gary Tomlin hopefully is the guy, especially if the rumours about Corday finally giving up the creative control are true. The show really underwent huge change for better the last month or so both on screen and off screen. Right now, half of the cast is on backburner, but atleast the stories which are on screen seems to go somewhere. And, what a surprise, ratings and especially demos are already getting better even if the boards are still full of disgruntled Ejami, Ejole, Lumi, Phloe and Jarlena fans swearing they will never watch the show again.

Fantastic post.

Many of you missed my point and misinterpreted my post. I was not suggesting fanbases (and again, just as a disclaimer, I'M IN NO WAY POINTING A FINGER AT ANYONE ON THE DR OR ANY ONE FANBASE. SPEAKING IN GENERAL) are the sole reason for the show's issues. TPTB are not innocent because they created this mess. They relied to heavily on the same couples for too long. They based the whole show around the supercouple model and kept catering to that model whether then balancing it out with other features. When shows like GH distanced themselves from relying on the supercouple model, Days kept catering to it and that has resulted in many of the issues today. Between the internet and the constant catering to the fanbases, the show has let this grow into such an issue that now the show can't maintain a consistent direction. Again, it's not every fanbase and it's not everyone in a fanbase. It's the "bad apples" that have given the fanbases a bad reputation.

Let me explain what I mean. Back in the late 90's, before the advent of message boards and what not, fanbases got their message across via letters and other campaigns. I recall reading the fan letters and reactions in the magazines and the difference between now and then is staggering. Back then, when a fanbase or fan wrote in support of a coupling or character, they did so in a way that acknowledged what was good for the show. For example, they would write something like:

"I'm very upset as a fan of Bo and Hope that Days of our Lives has chosen not to focus on them as much as they should be. They are the heart and soul of Days in my opinion and very important to the show. It is my belief that Days will lose a large amount of fans by not focusing on them more and providing a good story for them. I understand that stories ebb and flow and that not everyone can have the spotlight at all times but this period on the backburner has lasted too long and I feel something must be done in the best interest of the show because I feel this is an issue that could hurt the show gravely in the long run. My hope is that the cycle turns and Bo and Hope become involved in a fantastic story. I will continue to hold out hope and be patient that it will come."

Now, contrast that with what is said now regularly on message boards and in magazines (and, again, I'm using Bo and Hope as an example and not pointing the finger at any particular fanbase):

"I'm very upset with Days for not giving us the Bo and Hope love story that we deserve. Bo and Hope fans have had enough. We deserve a good story for out favorite couple and the fact that such a talented pair of actors are being backburnered in favor of other characters that are less important is appalling. We deserve better and pur patience is all but gone. We won't watch until we get the Bo and Hope story we fans want."

See the difference? Fanbases have gone from a valuable asset to a deterrent. They have become much more hostile. They went from acknowledging the fact that they aren't the only group of fans in the world who matter to thinking they are entitled to have their needs and wants catered to first. The "me" attitude has grown and grown since 2000 and now it's almost intolerable. It's these fans I have the problem with. It's about the big picture. No one fan or fanbase or whatever is more important then anyone else. Do you know how bad it looks when some fans complain about not seeing their couple or character for a mere week when Steve and Kayla and Tony and Anna and their fans have nothing right now? Those characters haven't been seen pretty much at all this month and when someone like John, Marlena,Hope, etc (again, using general examples) disappears for a mere WEEK, it's like armageddeon. This sense of entitlement is the main issue I have.

Last year, during the "BALANCE" campaign, I remember being so happy to see that it seemed like all the fanbases united. They all wanted the same thing. For the show to be balanced for all fans to have something to enjoy. It wasn't about one fanbase mattering more then other. It was presenting a united front to the show and that means alot as it helps the show determine what it needs to do when fans are all looking at the big picture and what is best for the WHOLE show. It's not a bunch of complaining from all different sides, each wanting their agendas to be first on the table and each feeling like they are the most important. I was saddened when everything returned to the status quo earlier this year. As soon as some fans got what they want, it was right back to picking things apart and the other usual behavior.

Yes, the show has to listen to the fans but the horror of the situation is that the fanbase issue has gotten so out of hand the show now has the mindset it has to focus more on pleasing EACH AND EVERY fanbase. They don't want to lose anyone and the fact of the matter is...that's wrong. You will always lose someone. Someone has to lose in a triangle. Not every prospective couple can end up together. Someone will be unhappy. This is the mentality you need to have being in charge of a show. You can't worry about who you are going to lose because the hope should be that the story will offset any viewer losses by attracting new viewers. This is why soaps, especially Days, can't take risks anymore. They don't commit to a director, couple, etc because the minute they see another fanbase upset, they get concerned and throw them a bone, which pisses off the other fanbase. Enough is enough.

Fans, in general, need to begin to see that their own individual agendas are not the only ones that matter. You may feel your couple has the most impact on the ratings and needs to be frontburner. You may feel that your wants matter and are what is right for the show but none of us really know that. It's ok to want what we want. It's ok to speak out when we don't like something. It's ok not to watch if we don't like what is onscreen. What is not ok is acting like our voice is the only one that matters. The only things we are entitled to as fans is good storytelling that respects history and that entertains. We are entitled to good drama and we have a right to be listened to and heard. Anyone that thinks Days doesn't listen is naive. It's so obvious by what is onscreen. Hell, half the time it seems like they rip shit right off message boards. Does that mean they act on everything? No. They can't possibly. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone watches for the same reasons. That is why fans can't act like their own individual wants matter more then anyone else's. That is why the sense of entitlement is a problem. Yes, everyone's opinion matters but it has to be understood that what one wants may not be what is best. It may not be what most of the audience wants. There has to be an understanding, just like before recent times, that we as fans won't always get what we want in the end. Someone has to lose. If that is the case, fans need to make the choice of whether or not to watch or not. As I said, that is the way it used to be. As a show, you have to take all the feedback and come together and just act on what you think is best and hope you can off set the fans you do lose. If it fails, it fails. You learn and move on. That is how it was all the way up to 2000 and that is the way it has to be again if this is any hope of saving Days or any soaps.

Look at the Lucas/Sami/EJ story. For most of 2007 and until recently, the show seemed to change direction every day in regards to them. Why was that? Because they were reacting to whatever fanbase barked the loudest and scared them the most. They didn't want to lose anyone and the sad reality is all they did was play both fanbases and both couples off each other, ruining all three characters for some and creating one directionless story after the other. Now, all three have direction. The whole show has direction and it seems like someone finally told Corday and co that you can't please everyone. For every fan that likes something, there will always 3 or 4 that don't, no matter who is writing.

The other thing I have to say too is to Ejamia fans. It took years for J&M to get together and stay togerher. Same for Bo and Hope. They had one hurdle after the other. Ejami is just starting. I don't think (at least IMO) you can count what has happened since EJ came on. The story has been through so many different writers' hands and so many transitions. Summer of 2006 was really the only time it felt like a true love story. Other then that, it was all over the place until Spring when they grew close and made love. Then it lost direction again with Scott and Higley battling. That is why I think Ejami fans need to give Higley a chance because alot of the summer of misdirection was related to the backstage BS. Higley (who we pretty much know was writing during the strike) wrote them coming together in the spring and them making love. It was after that for which things when downhill, right around the time the whole show lost direction which we now know was related to the backstage stuff.

That is why I think Higley and this new regime needs to be given a chance because this is really going to be them with no clashing or backstage shit, at least I hope not. If after a few months, things worsen, then fine. I would want her out too. She has no safety net now. We know she is in charge along with Tomlin and Whitesell. They are on the hook if things go bad. However, things have taken a turn for the better. The numbers are good. The show has direction again. You feel the show has committed to direction in most of it's stories. It has more work to do but it's getting there. They are not even a full month in to working together. The full team has only been in place for like a week. They all seem to be working together and that is a good sign. The cast seems more optimistic now then they have in a long time. That says alot.

Sorry for the long rant but I felt I needed to explain my reasoning on this issue in depth. Again, not pointing the finger at any one fan, fanbase, or whatever. This is just in general and I hope that people respond to it in general and don't feel I'm attacking them, personally. It's not about that. It's about an issue I feel is helping to kill Days and daytime, as a whole.

MandaAnn

I've never posted here before, but I have an opinion about Dena and her blog so I suppose now is as good a time as any to start, lol.

It's lovely and all that she managed to mention the show in more than one sentence, but I really would expect the head writer of a show, doing a blog for the show to mainly speak about, guess what??? The show!!! Not just a shout out to a particular couple or two in each entry, but actually talk about the characters, stories, direction you might take things or whatever. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's what I thought it was going to be like when she started this thing.

Sure talk about yourself and your family if you want, but don't just spout off one or two things about Days because you have to and then move on to talk mostly about other things.

Mason
Member Avatar

Honestly, I really don't give a flying crap that there's no more "backstage tension". Higley was still there for all the crap of the spring and summer, and I don't believe she was just sitting idly by, twiddling her fingers. Higley was boring in 2003 when Wyman was Co-EP. She was boring when Ed Scott was Co-EP. And she's still boring now that Tomlin is Co-EP. She's the common denominator in all of this, and if Corday were really serious about making the show better, he would have given Higley her walking papers a long time ago. Or better yet, never given her the HW job a second time to begin with.

ges
Member Avatar

It's going to be a fun ride? I guess if you consider being tied to the back of a pick-up truck
and dragged through a gravel pit until you die, a fun ride.
This show is getting worse by the day and I wouldn't believe a word that came out of your mouth.

Your kid has the sniffles? I'll send you a box of tissues, you insane bitch.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ges
Oct 29 2008, 07:16 PM
It's going to be a fun ride? I guess if you consider being tied to the back of a pick-up truck
and dragged through a gravel pit until you die, a fun ride.
This show is getting worse by the day and I wouldn't believe a word that came out of your mouth.

Your kid has the sniffles? I'll send you a box of tissues, you insane bitch.
ROFL!!! :roflol:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply