Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Dena Higley blog 10/28
Topic Started: Oct 28 2008, 05:47 PM (5,283 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

I watched Melanie's first few days on the show and I did not like what I saw. So, yes, I damn well am entitled to offer my opinion, just as you are yours. As far as I'm concerned, she's a pointless character that is completely not needed. If you have a problem with that opinion, well, then that's exactly what it is: your problem.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jane1978
Oct 30 2008, 06:25 PM
Jiggs
Oct 30 2008, 06:09 PM
jane1978
Oct 30 2008, 04:10 AM
People like you are huge part of problem because you will never allow the show to evolve or move on. For example, you never saw even one scene with Melanie yet you are already want her gone. Why? Just because she is new? So the show cannot have any new characters? Any new couples?

It´s like some fans are literally stuck in time.
I love this attitude. I don't see how a viewer is ever to blame if they no longer like a show. S O W H A T ???
Who said anything about blaming viewer? I said someone who isn´t even watching can hardly judge if the show is boring or not. And he certainly cannot decide if some characters created after he stopped to watch should be on or not.

Um, you said, "People like you are huge part of problem because you will never allow the show to evolve or move on." As well as, "It´s like some fans are literally stuck in time." Seems like blaming the fans to me. Don't know what else you can call that.

Days is a business just like any other business. If I have a lemonade stand and have been successful at it for years, with happy customers that keep returning, but then I decide to change the recipe and quit adding sugar, and all my regular customers start complaining, do you think I should bitch about them being reluctant to change their taste for my lemonade? Wouldn't it be smarter if I instead listened to them and decided if I want to keep them around to take their nickels I should go back to the recipe they liked? Or do I just tell them to go to hell and wait around for some people to acquire a taste for my brand of lemonade? If I do tell them to go to hell, who's fault is it if they never come around my stand again? And if I keep my new recipe and get a few people to like it, and I lose money but I still am able to keep my lemonade stand... then a few years down the road I wake up and think, gee I miss those steady happy customers, so I think I will change back to my old recipe... am I just caving in to the demands of customers that I only tolerate or am I being a smart business person? Either way, it's hardly the lemonade drinkers of the world who are dictating my destiny or the fate of my business. They can always find lemonade somewhere else... but if they come back to my stand because it was the best they ever had, then it seems to me that I should embrace that, not tell them they are the problem.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Mason
Oct 30 2008, 06:44 PM
I watched Melanie's first few days on the show and I did not like what I saw. So, yes, I damn well am entitled to offer my opinion, just as you are yours. As far as I'm concerned, she's a pointless character that is completely not needed. If you have a problem with that opinion, well, then that's exactly what it is: your problem.
I've seen Melanie a lot in the short time she's been around, and I only watch on Days that John and Marlena are on usually... and she's been on a LOT. And she is starting to really annoy me. She's just what you said, another pointless character that is being shoved down our throats, most likely because some network executive thinks she's the hot new thing.

zyona

Jiggs
Oct 30 2008, 07:41 PM
Mason
I've seen Melanie a lot in the short time she's been around, and I only watch on Days that John and Marlena are on usually... and she's been on a LOT. And she is starting to really annoy me. She's just what you said, another pointless character that is being shoved down our throats, most likely because some network executive thinks she's the hot new thing.
I so agree with both of your comments, am getting sick of watching Melani. I don't even know what her purpose is on the show, since her dad is gone. I wish they bring someone who is a brady, a horton. I want her gone. :wave: :wave:

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

zyona
Oct 30 2008, 08:02 PM
Jiggs
Mason
I so agree with both of your comments, am getting sick of watching Melani. I don't even know what her purpose is on the show, since her dad is gone. I wish they bring someone who is a brady, a horton. I want her gone. :wave: :wave:
You see, that is how the show winds up with incest. :laugh:

When I was watching DOOL, I liked Melanie even though others thought she was annoying. I don't know what but there was just something different with her. lol I liked how bitchy she was towards Steph.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Oct 30 2008, 08:13 PM
zyona
Oct 30 2008, 08:02 PM
Jiggs
Mason
You see, that is how the show winds up with incest. :laugh:

When I was watching DOOL, I liked Melanie even though others thought she was annoying. I don't know what but there was just something different with her. lol I liked how bitchy she was towards Steph.
Hmm. She's bitchy towards EVERYONE LOL

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

What's sad is that DAYS seems unable to create any new character that inspires the sort of passion that a Marlena, Bo, Hope, and Patch did when they were created. EJ and James Scott have become very popular and I would say that Jay Johnson has in his second run, but in the last ten years, nothing new has been created to mirror the 70s 0r the 80s, and for the most part, even JER's success was based on the popular characters from the 80s. The show not only has to create new characters, but characters that the audience can connect with. The Melanie character could be a good start, they have to really dig down deep into who this girl is, why she acts like she does, and then pair her with someone fresh and new. The days of hoping the over 50 set is going to keep DAYS on the air is over.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Oct 30 2008, 11:17 PM
What's sad is that DAYS seems unable to create any new character that inspires the sort of passion that a Marlena, Bo, Hope, and Patch did when they were created. EJ and James Scott have become very popular and I would say that Jay Johnson has in his second run, but in the last ten years, nothing new has been created to mirror the 70s 0r the 80s, and for the most part, even JER's success was based on the popular characters from the 80s. The show not only has to create new characters, but characters that the audience can connect with. The Melanie character could be a good start, they have to really dig down deep into who this girl is, why she acts like she does, and then pair her with someone fresh and new. The days of hoping the over 50 set is going to keep DAYS on the air is over.
Exactly!

I don't want the vets gone but they can't be the whole show anymore. They need to be prevalent and involved. They need to have stories but the ratings don't live and die by the vets anymore. They use to but the ratings have gotten to a point for all shows where nothing will bring them back to where they were. That is why Days may as well gradually move the show into a new era where the vets aren't as heavily relied on. That does not mean you ignore them and don't play them. It simply means you don't force the issue with the vets and you certainly don't keep telling the same sort of stories with them because that gets the show nowhere. Have them young cast involved with the vets and build them up.

Melanie is a nice start and I think the show has a strong 30's cast to rely on. The young cast is strong. They just need some characters not connected to the main families. They had Morgan but screwed that up. They have options. Bring back some more Horton's or maybe break the proverbial rule of not mentioning them and bring back Rex and Cassie and find some way to reverse them being Brady's. That would help.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Oct 30 2008, 11:17 PM
What's sad is that DAYS seems unable to create any new character that inspires the sort of passion that a Marlena, Bo, Hope, and Patch did when they were created. EJ and James Scott have become very popular and I would say that Jay Johnson has in his second run, but in the last ten years, nothing new has been created to mirror the 70s 0r the 80s, and for the most part, even JER's success was based on the popular characters from the 80s. The show not only has to create new characters, but characters that the audience can connect with.

I totally agree with all of that.

Quote:

The Melanie character could be a good start, they have to really dig down deep into who this girl is, why she acts like she does, and then pair her with someone fresh and new.

I would disagree there. I don’t like Melanie and want her gone instead of sucking up all the airtime. She was badly introduced and there is nothing about her I like and could connect to. It’s just a poor rip off of Nicole’s back story.

Quote:

The days of hoping the over 50 set is going to keep DAYS on the air is over.

I disagree. There are some fairly big fan bases for those characters who would still want to see them. If their days are over then why do they continue to have such large and loyal followings? Aren’t those big fan bases important to Days overall health? Can Days really afford to lose anymore fans?

Introducing new characters is a subject that always pisses me off. My little rant that follows isn't directed at you or your post and just on the subject in general.

The old method of introducing new characters was gradually. It takes an audience six months to a year to get to know a new character well enough to decide if they like or dislike them. You tie them to someone already on the show. You bring them on in bits and pieces. Slowly and always as a minor player in someone else’s story for that period. Most important you never ram them down the audience’s throat from the start.

There are exceptions to this rule. Because the it factor. Certain actors catch the audience’s attention quickly for whatever reason and they catch on quickly. It doesn’t happen often.

For a long time the writing talent for soaps has declined and Days has a penchant for hiring god awful writers fired from other shows for driving down the ratings. They want to create their own new characters and so poof you have the flavor of the month in your face relentlessly. I don’t know about anyone else but that isn’t who I tune in to see or care about seeing.

One thing that truly pisses me off is that some of the characters a big portion of the audience wants to see are on the backburner for financial reasons or sheer lack of storyline and yet Days hires five or six new people within a short period of time. Ok, I understand that they work much cheaper but I would gladly trade those characters for more screen time for characters I actually want to see. But with the writers we’ve had these days even then the stories would still suck.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Oct 30 2008, 07:37 PM
jane1978
Oct 30 2008, 06:25 PM
Jiggs
Oct 30 2008, 06:09 PM
jane1978
Oct 30 2008, 04:10 AM
People like you are huge part of problem because you will never allow the show to evolve or move on. For example, you never saw even one scene with Melanie yet you are already want her gone. Why? Just because she is new? So the show cannot have any new characters? Any new couples?

It´s like some fans are literally stuck in time.
I love this attitude. I don't see how a viewer is ever to blame if they no longer like a show. S O W H A T ???
Who said anything about blaming viewer? I said someone who isn´t even watching can hardly judge if the show is boring or not. And he certainly cannot decide if some characters created after he stopped to watch should be on or not.

Um, you said, "People like you are huge part of problem because you will never allow the show to evolve or move on." As well as, "It´s like some fans are literally stuck in time." Seems like blaming the fans to me. Don't know what else you can call that.

Days is a business just like any other business. If I have a lemonade stand and have been successful at it for years, with happy customers that keep returning, but then I decide to change the recipe and quit adding sugar, and all my regular customers start complaining, do you think I should bitch about them being reluctant to change their taste for my lemonade? Wouldn't it be smarter if I instead listened to them and decided if I want to keep them around to take their nickels I should go back to the recipe they liked? Or do I just tell them to go to hell and wait around for some people to acquire a taste for my brand of lemonade? If I do tell them to go to hell, who's fault is it if they never come around my stand again? And if I keep my new recipe and get a few people to like it, and I lose money but I still am able to keep my lemonade stand... then a few years down the road I wake up and think, gee I miss those steady happy customers, so I think I will change back to my old recipe... am I just caving in to the demands of customers that I only tolerate or am I being a smart business person? Either way, it's hardly the lemonade drinkers of the world who are dictating my destiny or the fate of my business. They can always find lemonade somewhere else... but if they come back to my stand because it was the best they ever had, then it seems to me that I should embrace that, not tell them they are the problem.
Great analogy!
Edited by Flying Monkey, Nov 1 2008, 09:42 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply