Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD/SOW tidbits; added: Nick blurb
Topic Started: Oct 30 2008, 08:17 AM (1,635 Views)
Jonatha

Please link to DR:

Comings and goings:

John Callahan (Dr Baker) The soap vet has been cast as a doctor who will cross paths with Nicole (Arianne Zucker) and will first appear Nov 24. The role is short-term.

Eric Martsolf (Brady) Will make his first appearance in Salem on Nov 13.

Marsha Clark (Judge Fitzpatrick) reprises her judicial role on Nov 3.

Days is casting a 35-40 year old blond psychiatrist

Out?

Buzz on the Internet has ATWT's Austin Peck (Brad) who is heavily embroiled in story, and a not-so-embroiled Agim Kaba (Aaron) both on their way out the door -- soon. A rep reminds that the show does not comment on rumors.

Next week:

Trent's killer is revealed
Brady comes home
Philip has an offer for Stephanie
Max comforts Chelsea

Critical mass: MISS!
Who Will Rescue Days' Super Neglected Couples?

What's up with the lack of love for Days of Our Live's super couples Bo and Hope, and Steve and Kayla? The once prominent pairs defined the soap in the 80s and have not waned in popularity since, but their air time sure has.

The fantastic four may have been conspicuously MIA from any meaty story action of their own. It seems all they do is putter around the Cop Shop or hospital. The show scribes got it right when the talented quartet was front and center during Ava's psychotic run through Salem, but then what happened?

If it weren't for a string of tedious murder investigations, Bo and Hope would rarely be on screen. While it's nice to see the pair in any capacity, Peter Reckell and Kristian Alfonso truly shine when they're depicting love and family strife. Besides, does anyone really want to watch CSI Salem?

Meanwhile, poor Steve gets bounced around plots like a rag doll, and none of them offers a sense of purpose. Why is he smack in the middle of every police investigation, when he's not a cop? And all Kayla gets to do is dole out advise to Marlena and John. Making her the hospital's Chief of Staff was a nice touch, but where is her story?

Days needs to get in touch with what its fans truly want; heartfelt drama involving core characters. It's time to put the super couples back in the show's long neglected best couples.

Added:

Nick: Smart Guy, Foolish Choices

He might be a brainiac when it comes to Math and Science, but when it comes to matters of the heart Nick is just plain dumb.

Upon arriving in Salem in 2006, Nick fell head over heels for resident brat Chelsea, despite the fact that she treated him like dirt. Just as Chelsea began coming to her senses, Nick lost his and had a drunken, one night stand with her mother, Billie.

In 2007, just as things were back on track with Chelsea, Nick got conned into marrying another woman. Conniving China Lee took advantage of Nick while he was suffering the ill effects of an explosion and got him to say "I do" in Las Vegas. Upon ditching China, Nick and Chelsea reconciled, until she dumped him for Daniel. None of the above, however, made Nick shy away from love, He was instantly smitten with Max's sister, Melanie, the moment he met her this past summer. Too bad she's just another vixen who's totally undeserving of his love.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Jonatha!!

More of November sleeps :sleep: !!!

ETA: ITA with the Critical MISS!!
Edited by SoapGal1, Oct 30 2008, 08:25 AM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Please tell me they aren't going down that road with Chelsea/Max. I'd rather Stax return.

Anyone they are casting a shrink for Nick (not as a love interest, but if they are going for a mental illness story...)? I know this might show many people who know me, given the way I feel about Marlena, but I had hoped they would use her for this. It would give her something to do on the show outside of John and though I'm probably wrong isn't it possible she treated Nick's mother back in the early 80s? That would be a nice way to tie Nick's current behavior to the past. (Even if she didn't treat her, I have no problems with the retcon).

ETA: Also ITA on the critical miss.
Edited by Tripp, Oct 30 2008, 08:37 AM.

nerd35

I don't understand why they are casting A psychiatrist when they already have one in Salem Marlena.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

I don't think Max/chelsea will happen tripp. I just think Max is going to be there for Chelsea as a friend because of her grandmother.

Love the blurb on Nick, he deserves so much more.

I would like to see some Nick/Marlena scenes..tie in the history, since they are going to bring up his mother.

Alligato
Member Avatar

No shit! Stop casting people and use the ones we have!!!
And I really have no clue as to what to do with the two blissfully happy (boring) supercouples on the show right now. Payla and Bope just seem useless.

I thought we might have some interesting conflict when Hope was promoted above Bo, but it seems that was dropped.

But I wish Days would stop casting so many damn people and just use the cast they have. If they don't want to do that, then start firing some people.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Alligato
Oct 30 2008, 11:55 AM
No shit! Stop casting people and use the ones we have!!!
And I really have no clue as to what to do with the two blissfully happy (boring) supercouples on the show right now. Payla and Bope just seem useless.

I thought we might have some interesting conflict when Hope was promoted above Bo, but it seems that was dropped.

But I wish Days would stop casting so many damn people and just use the cast they have. If they don't want to do that, then start firing some people.
I'm afraid I have to disagree a little bit. We have way too many guys in the thirtysomething range. Philip/EJ/Lucas/Rafe/Brady. The women are just Sami/Nicole/Chloe. So you've got two extra guys floating around and we get bitching about triangles on this show but that's what is gonna happen when you have more guys then girls.

But just because they are casting her does not mean she is gonna be a main character. I think it's clear she will be Nick's shrink (he's gonna need one). If I had to think of who to pair her with, at this point, I'd like to see them actually give it a chance with Max who's only two love interests are his nieces. That's the same problem with Sami and he would look ridiculous with Nicole or Chloe. As much as I dislike the Max character, I have to admit he might work out with an older woman character.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

The tidbit doesn't say the the 35-45 blond psychiatrist is a woman. Maybe it's a man.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

ArizonaDaze
Oct 30 2008, 12:54 PM
The tidbit doesn't say the the 35-45 blond psychiatrist is a woman. Maybe it's a man.
Hee, missed that.

But really, do we need another man on this show?

Alligato
Member Avatar

Tripp
Oct 30 2008, 12:08 PM
I'm afraid I have to disagree a little bit. We have way too many guys in the thirtysomething range. Philip/EJ/Lucas/Rafe/Brady. The women are just Sami/Nicole/Chloe. So you've got two extra guys floating around and we get bitching about triangles on this show but that's what is gonna happen when you have more guys then girls.

But they didn't have more guys than girls. They just hired Brady and Rafe, and fired Morgan. If you would have kept Morgan, and now they factor in Stephanie, that would have been 5 each.

The problem is that all these characters will do is flirt and screw because it is hard to build a back story and other conflict for 10 characters, especially when Rafe doesn't have ties to anyone...so he is just there for Sami's benefit.

If they would have kept it as 3 guys and 3 girls and developed them further than just couples, it just makes it more interesting. Phillip and Lucas at Titan with Stephanie. Morgan working for the Dimeras, as is EJ. Sami becoming more self sufficient and finding herself a job sans child, and Nicole and Chloe doing their respective things...it just gives everyone another dimension than just in a pairing...and it gives them other relationships.

I am looking forward to Brady, but I feel like we keep adding characters (Melanie, Dan, Rafe, Brady) and giving them lots of air time while not using others to their potential in a good story.
If there is no story for them, I wish they would let them go. I am tired of waiting for Tanna if there is no story.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Fair enough Alligato. But remember, this shrink may not be someone who will be on screen much, like an Evan but for the couch. Of course, given we already have a resident shrink on the show who was actually around when Nick's own mom had her issues, they could certainly have used her instead (plus she's blond).

Alligato
Member Avatar

^ and she looks 35-40!
I guess Nicole's doctor and this shrink being short term characters are no big deal. It would have been great to see Marlena get involved in this, if anything to get her back on screen.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Hee, I'll refrain from commenting on Dee looking 35-40 (though I admit she looks great for her age, I refuse to think she looks that young).

Also I'm not a Marlena fan at all and have not missed her one bit, but even I can see the potential in using her in this story and how silly it is NOT to use her. Again, it goes into planning for the story. Using Nick's family history (which we now know they are bringing up) and you have a therapist who was in practice in Salem during that time but yet you don't use her? It's odd.

I'm wondering now more than ever if Days has overused the vets too much this year (budget wise) and they just can't afford to pay them for extra episodes outside their own story.

Speaking of using vets, maybe they could throw Steve in to talk to Nick about going nuts on people? Oh and I was going to ask, did Kayla know Jessica? (This would have been the first Kayla). I'm dying for some Nick/Kayla scenes.

jane1978

Tripp
Oct 30 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm wondering now more than ever if Days has overused the vets too much this year (budget wise) and they just can't afford to pay them for extra episodes outside their own story.

I think with Jarlena itīs more the backstage situation than anything. Both of their major stories were canceled and there was no time yet to write anything else so they stayed in a limbo. It will change with Bradyīs return for sure.

On the other side, Tomlin is the one responsible for budget now. And I have feeling he is sort of sorting the characters in two groups. There is the main leading group forming which includes Phillip, Stephanie, Max, Melanie, Chelsea, Nick ,EJ, Nicol, Sami with Bo/Hope and Jarlena and I quess Rafe and Brady. Iīm not involving Abe/Lexie but I do think as long as this autism story is going they are save too.

And next there is the expendable or easy to get rid off group which includes Lucas, Chloe, Kate, Dan with Steve/Kayla and Tonny/Anna. Seems the rule is the latter group is always either on backburner or involved in very isolated stories which can be cut anytime with no impact on the core group.

I do think thatīs one of the reasons Phloe arenīt reuniting after all and the show seems to test Phillip/Steph and Chloe/Dan instead. Chloe can be fired anytime, so I think the show doesnīt want to invest in them. Stephanie is part of a core family and that itself makes her position much stronger.
Edited by jane1978, Oct 30 2008, 05:18 PM.

Kimber
Member Avatar

I miss Steve and Kayla so much!

I can't believe how Stephen and Mary Beth are being treated!

WE NEED MORE S&K!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

See, that is what annoys me. We never get anything for just Marlena. It's always Marlena and John, Marlena talking about John, Marlena talking about Sami, Marlena with Sami, etc. This is why when John was gone I was happy. It was all about Marlena. SHE drove story. Hell, even early on when he came back. It wasn't about them as a couple. It was about them as individuals. I want that. I want Marlena to have a story. I want John to have a story. Not always John AND Marlena. Same goes for Bo and Hope. Let's start focusing on the individuals more because I do think that can help create story. This is one instance where you could use Marlena and develop something with her being Nick's therapist. Then again, Marlena has had trouble in the past when counseling people she knows so maybe it's for the best and I'm all for new blood. This is likely short-term anyway so whatever.

Everything sounds good.

I agree with the article on the backburnering but I disagree about them asking why Steve is working with the cops. He's always done that and he is a PI that assists them in digging up some stuff. There is no issue there. I still don't understand the lack of use of Tony, Steve, and Kayla. I can see the others (ncluding Anna, who is recurring) but Thaoo, Stephen, and Mary Beth have lots left on their guarantee I assume so not using them is stupid. Hopefully, they are used more come December. Steve being a PI opens up alot of doors, as does Kayla being a doctor. Let one of them get involved in something and create something from that. The writers focus too much on couples. Focus on the individuals and see where that takes things.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I have a feeling that the reason we aren't seeing much of Steve and Kayla, is Dena is having a hard time writing for them....While they were a hugely successful couple in the 80's, they haven't been able to really reconnect with the new fans and pretty much all their stories have sucked since their return..Hopefully with the help of Tomlin and Whitsell, they can figure out how to write for them, or i would say they are probably expendable..

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Thanks Jonny! I agree with the critical miss too. Steve and Kayla are not really on much at all and just seeing Bo and Hope as cops investigating Trent's murder sucks big time. Plus the cocky attitudes they have now doesn't help either.

Ives
Member Avatar

Kevc1980
Oct 31 2008, 03:04 AM
I have a feeling that the reason we aren't seeing much of Steve and Kayla, is Dena is having a hard time writing for them....While they were a hugely successful couple in the 80's, they haven't been able to really reconnect with the new fans and pretty much all their stories have sucked since their return..Hopefully with the help of Tomlin and Whitsell, they can figure out how to write for them, or i would say they are probably expendable..
I have wondered if Dena has any issues with how they went to Ed Scott to ask for a fallout scene at the end of of the Ava storyline. I guess in Dena's mind when a woman walks in on her husband in bed with his crazy ex they are not supposed to talk about it. Oh, and they are supposed to completely act like it never happened.

So I will admit my bias up front, but really how hard can they be to write for? Even if you can't think of an individual storyline for a PI who has basically has SIXTEEN years unaccounted for or a hospital Chief of Staff who could also have some interesting time from CA, both of whom have long connections and relationships with tons of characters on screen - well, at a minimum it would make some sense to have Kayla interacting more with Marlena to support her with John or Steve interacting with John about the Stefano soldier connection/revenge, etc.

And to boot, both Stephen and Mary Beth are very strong actors who care about their characters and are not going to phone anything in. Steve is the type of character who can easily do some golden comedy scenes or can bring the angst and pain in a way few male actors can. Ditto for MBE.
Edited by Ives, Oct 31 2008, 09:26 AM.

Mason

Didn't Higley want to bring back Steve and Kayla in 2003 before she got the boot and JER's return nixed that? Or was that Corday's idea?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply