Follow @DaytimeRoyalty
| Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty! For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features. |
| Photo of real-life murdered boy used on GH:NS | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Oct 30 2008, 01:50 PM (1,079 Views) | |
| Rakesh198 | Oct 30 2008, 01:50 PM Post #1 |
![]()
|
Slain Boy's Photo Used As Soap Opera Prop ABC Network Calls It 'Terrible Error,' Offers Apology Posted Image BRUNSWICK, Ga. -- A family still mourning a 6-year-old boy killed last year was shocked to see a picture of the child used in a recent soap opera on SOAPnet. The ABC television network has since apologized, calling the bizarre soap opera slip-up an indefensible error. A photo of Christopher Barrios, a 6-year-old Georgia boy who was killed in 2007, was used as a prop in a scene of "General Hospital: Night Shift." A Channel 4 viewer who also watches SOAPnet and is a fan of the soap opera brought the picture to the attention of the local station. She said she recognized Christopher's photo being used on the show and decided to send an e-mail. Christopher's grandmother, Sue Rodriquez, said she had no idea how the network obtained the photo and they have no right to use it in an entertainment program. "Oh my, God have mercy," Rodriquez said after seeing Christopher's picture on the show. "They ain't got no right doing that -- not a bit of right." She cried as she watched a clip from the soap opera. She said it still hurts to think about her grandson, who was kidnapped, raped and murdered in March 2007. "That baby meant the world to us, and people don’t have the right to do this kind of stuff. That's our baby," Rodriquez said. In the soap opera, Billy Dee Williams plays a hospital worker. In the episode in which Christopher's photo appeared, Williams' character apparently received a letter and a photo from a son he abandoned. The photo was of Christopher. Channel 4 has the same picture of the Christopher, which provided by the Barrios family to media outlets during the March 2007 search for the boy. "First, who gave them permission to use his picture? Second, I'm glad I don’t watch this kind of mess -- soap operas -- because if I had seen Christopher's picture on there, I would have gone nuts," Rodriquez said. ABC, which produces the show, told Channel 4's Jennifer Bauer it does not know how they got the photo. The network offered the following apology: "While the production team would never have knowingly chosen this particular photo, its use was a terrible error. We offer our deepest condolences to the Barrios family for their loss and our sincerest apologies for any pain caused by our mistake. In the coming weeks, SOAPnet will air a series of public service announcements in Christopher's honor, to raise awareness of missing and exploited children. Meanwhile, the episode is being edited to permanently remove the photo, and we have taken steps, including reviewing internal processes to determine how it happened in hopes of preventing this type of mistake from occurring again." Rodriquez said knowing that such an error would never happen again makes her very happy. http://www.news4jax.com/news/17844042/detail.html Edited by Rakesh198, Oct 30 2008, 01:51 PM.
|
![]() |
|
| Rakesh198 | Oct 30 2008, 01:52 PM Post #2 |
![]()
|
Soap Opera Makes the Biggest Screw Up -- Ever Posted Oct 30th 2008 12:49PM by TMZ Staff The following story is one of the worst mistakes ever made in television history -- involving stupidity, a major soap opera, and a 6-year-old boy who was kidnapped, raped and murdered back in 2007. Posted Image It's all over a photo that was used in a recent episode of the SOAPnet show "General Hospital: Night Shift" -- Billy Dee Williams' character received a letter and a picture from the son he abandoned. But the photo wasn't of another actor -- it was Christopher Barrios, the victim of that horrible tragedy we mentioned earlier in this post. Members of Christopher's fam -- who never authorized the use of a photo -- were furious and told NewsJax4.com they had no idea how the pic got on the show. The people at SOAPnet and their parent network ABC were just as stumped. The network did, however, issue a statement apologizing and vowed to run a series of public service announcements in Christopher's honor to raise awareness of missing and exploited children -- thus putting an end to the most dramatic event in soap opera history. http://www.tmz.com/2008/10/30/soap-opera-makes-the-biggest-screw-up-ever/ Edited by Rakesh198, Oct 30 2008, 01:55 PM.
|
![]() |
|
| Nubia | Oct 30 2008, 02:04 PM Post #3 |
![]()
The Queen
![]()
|
wow....what the hell were they thinking.... |
![]() |
|
| Rakesh198 | Oct 30 2008, 03:21 PM Post #4 |
![]()
|
Tragic NIGHT SHIFT Snafu ABC/SOAPNET has issued an apology for a heartbreaking mistake made in the Oct. 14 episode of GH: NIGHT SHIFT where Toussaint studied a photo of his long-lost son. The prop photo chosen was that of 6-year-old Christopher Barrios, who was kidnapped and murdered in 2007. "We offer our deepest condolences to the Barrios family for their loss, and our sincerest apologies for any pain caused by our mistake," said a statement from the networks. SOAPnet will be running PSAs to raise awareness about missing and exploited children and will permanently edit out the photo from the episode http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/ |
![]() |
|
| Mason | Oct 30 2008, 03:39 PM Post #5 |
![]()
|
Um, wow, talk about insensitive... |
![]() |
|
| Manny | Oct 30 2008, 03:54 PM Post #6 |
![]() ![]()
|
WTF?! How could they even take someone's photo without getting permission from the owners?! Even if the boy wasn't killed, even if he was alive, they have no right to just take a stranger's photo and use it! Wow.. |
![]() |
|
| bellcurve | Oct 30 2008, 06:21 PM Post #7 |
![]()
|
I am very surprised this wasn't checked at the door and that a release wasn't signed before they decided to use someone else's photo. That's majorly tacky. |
![]() |
|
| King | Oct 30 2008, 06:25 PM Post #8 |
![]() ![]()
|
This is just weird...and creepy. |
![]() |
|
| OneBadKitty | Oct 30 2008, 06:36 PM Post #9 |
![]() ![]()
|
I'm pretty sure it was not done deliberately. It was an honest and unfortunate mistake. |
![]() |
|
| Drew | Oct 31 2008, 01:04 AM Post #10 |
![]()
|
exactly. It was an error. The picture was probably sitting in one of ABC's vast databases, and the crew mistook it for a stock photo which wouldnt require clearances. |
![]() |
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
![]() Our users say it best: "Zetaboards is the best forum service I have ever used." |
|
| « Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic » |















2:20 PM Jul 11