Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion; For week of November 3rd
Topic Started: Nov 3 2008, 04:12 PM (4,674 Views)
brimike

fenderbabe
Nov 6 2008, 11:08 AM
brimike
Nov 6 2008, 10:47 AM
I agree, fender. I'm not buying it either. Testing chemistry is one thing, but in all my years of soap viewing, when I've seen chemistry "tested", it hasn't been with flirting. It's been through some other writing tool. Jack and Jennifer is a great example - when they tested their chemistry, they put them in a working environment, arguing about journalism ethics and whatnot.

I'm a big supporter in testing chemistry with actors, but when you blatantly do it by putting them in a flirting scene, it just makes everybody look like they're way too hormonal for their own good. There's a more subtle way to do it where it won't damage the characters.
This is a fantastic point that never even occured to me. There's something to be said when you see characters have chemistry together when the dialogue isn't pushing for it, and it's just in the scene. In this case, it was an obvious chem test between Chloe/Dan because of the touching, the complimenting of each other, the aquired taste and cake line....these chem tests happen so often we can call them coming from a mile away.

I'm not a fan of when TPTB come up with scenes between random characters that they think is the epitome of sex and then showcase it to me like so. I feel like they're forcing that couples' appeal onto me.
EXACTLY!!!

Look, the Rafe/Sami story might end up not romantic at all, and that's okay. They can play him as her bodyguard, and build some kind of (non-sexual) relationship between them for now, just in case they don't have chemistry and you need to back out.

They could easily test the waters with Daniel and Chloe by having them talk about Chloe's "battle" (I use that term loosely) with cancer. Or arguing about controversial treatments. Anything, besides the flirting. Then the writers can see how they play off of each other, without telling the audience "This is our new couple"

But the way soaps are written, a man and a woman can't be in a scene together these days without fans assuming they're going to sleep together. And that's not good. If memory serves, I didn't immediately assume Jack and Jennifer would be a couple in those first few months at the newspaper. Jack was still a VERY damaged character in the eyes of the audience because of the rape, and Jennifer was in Ramirez hell (LOL!). Sure, after a couple months, it was obvious where it was going. But those early scenes, it was just moving characters into different universes without the assumption sex was even going to be an issue.

It's my same problem with the Rafe introduction, and NBC's "Has Sami met her match?" mentality. Yes, NBC. She has. Three times, in fact. Fifteen years ago with Lucas, six years ago with Brandon, and two years ago with EJ. Why can't scenes be written without these sexual undertones, and let the natural feel of the energy between two actors tell the story, as opposed to forcing that undercurrent of innuendo on the actors AND the audience?

Edited by brimike, Nov 6 2008, 11:22 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Days4Life

brimike
Nov 6 2008, 09:52 AM
I just think Daniel isn't working, and the show needs to cut their losses. They keep moving him from potential coupling to potential coupling, and the character is sorely damaged in the process. He's like Dena's version of Willow Stark, albeit with a better actor.

Can't we just say he's Mike Horton-with-amnesia-and-plastic-surgery, so there's SOMETHING I like about him? LOL! Because I just don't think the show needs this guy around anymore. He doesn't really serve a purpose except to throw a wrench in the works, which is fine for a short-term role... but not if you want a lasting role on the canvas.

ETA: I do like Shawn Cristian, so this isn't a dig at him. I think he's doing the best job he can. But he was hired during the strike, caught up in the politics of all of that for most of the year, and now he's being "tested" with one actress while the other is in a cancer storyline. It's not doing him any favors. I'd love to keep SC on the show, but there's really a LOT of work that needs to be done, and seriously - this ain't helping.
I agree with this. The character has never worked, at least not for me. I usually forget he even exists, until he's onscreen, and then I just ignore him because I don't care about him or any story they put him in. I feel bad for the actor, but it's not his fault; he's just not been written well and his character doesn't have any redeeming or rooting qualities. I'm surprised he's lasted this long.

I also agree that testing him with one character while he's supposed to be with a woman who's potentially dying is a very bad thing. It could have worked if they had set it up beforehand so that he was with Kate but slowly developing feelings for Chloe, he decided to break things off with Kate to explore those feelings, then she gets cancer and he feels duty-bound to stay with her so he declares his love and devotion, then she recovers and is expecting a HEA but he loves Chloe....that story would be classic soap. One of the most heart-wrenching stories I ever remember with DAYS was when Addie thought she was dying and gave her daughter Julie her blessing to be with Doug, only to have Addie unexpectedly recover. It sounds icky--daughter in love with her dying mother's husband--but the story was written so well that it was full of heart and angst and was beautifully bittersweet.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

brimike
Nov 6 2008, 11:14 AM
fenderbabe
brimike
I agree, fender. I'm not buying it either. Testing chemistry is one thing, but in all my years of soap viewing, when I've seen chemistry "tested", it hasn't been with flirting. It's been through some other writing tool. Jack and Jennifer is a great example - when they tested their chemistry, they put them in a working environment, arguing about journalism ethics and whatnot.

I'm a big supporter in testing chemistry with actors, but when you blatantly do it by putting them in a flirting scene, it just makes everybody look like they're way too hormonal for their own good. There's a more subtle way to do it where it won't damage the characters.
This is a fantastic point that never even occured to me. There's something to be said when you see characters have chemistry together when the dialogue isn't pushing for it, and it's just in the scene. In this case, it was an obvious chem test between Chloe/Dan because of the touching, the complimenting of each other, the aquired taste and cake line....these chem tests happen so often we can call them coming from a mile away.

I'm not a fan of when TPTB come up with scenes between random characters that they think is the epitome of sex and then showcase it to me like so. I feel like they're forcing that couples' appeal onto me.
EXACTLY!!!

Look, the Rafe/Sami story might end up not romantic at all, and that's okay. They can play him as her bodyguard, and build some kind of (non-sexual) relationship between them for now, just in case they don't have chemistry and you need to back out.

They could easily test the waters with Daniel and Chloe by having them talk about Chloe's "battle" (I use that term loosely) with cancer. Or arguing about controversial treatments. Anything, besides the flirting. Then the writers can see how they play off of each other, without telling the audience "This is our new couple"

But the way soaps are written, a man and a woman can't be in a scene together these days without fans assuming they're going to sleep together. And that's not good. If memory serves, I didn't immediately assume Jack and Jennifer would be a couple in those first few months at the newspaper. Jack was still a VERY damaged character in the eyes of the audience because of the rape, and Jennifer was in Ramirez hell (LOL!). Sure, after a couple months, it was obvious where it was going. But those early scenes, it was just moving characters into different universes without the assumption sex was even going to be an issue.

It's my same problem with the Rafe introduction, and NBC's "Has Sami met her match?" mentality. Yes, NBC. She has. Three times, in fact. Fifteen years ago with Lucas, six years ago with Brandon, and two years ago with EJ. Why can't scenes be written without these sexual undertones, and let the natural feel of the energy between two actors tell the story, as opposed to forcing that undercurrent of innuendo on the actors AND the audience?

I think you're onto something here!!! LOL. In all honesty, this is yet another problem I've been having with all the recent couples which in most cases contributes to the growing cause of insta-love (dude, I sound like a PSA). Let the couples define themselves...and let us determine what is sexy or makes that couple unique and stop giving us this same old molding of what TPTB think is sexy and appealing. They must think we're superficial enough to only care about the way a couples looks together nowadays. You bring up such a good point with Jack/Jen, that I do have to take your word for, but it just makes so much sense.

Alligato
Member Avatar

brimike
Nov 6 2008, 11:14 AM
fenderbabe
brimike

EXACTLY!!!

Great point, brimike et al...especially the last paragraph about Sami/Rafe. I am tired of the sexual undertones, and i find that romance is more exciting, more easily to jump on the bandwagon if it is slowly developed by putting characters in a situation where they interact, fight, etc...
...and not the Rafmi bodyguard thing, although it is an improvement, but already ruined because of the NBC "met her match" hype. Just let two people get to know each other, have conflict with each other, have other relationships, NO RESCUING, and naturally come together if the chemistry is there.

Does Nick need to rescue Melanie? Did Phillip need to rescue/help Morgan and Stephanie? Does Dan really need to be Kate's cheerleader? Does Rafe need to keep Sami safe? Does EJ really need to rescue Nicole? Sometimes these women come off smarter/stronger than the men, yet they always need to be saved.
Just have them interact at work, at the coffee house, give them something to talk about (aside from relationships) and go from there. Stop with the eyes too.

That's all.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

Alligato
Nov 6 2008, 11:52 AM
Does Nick need to rescue Melanie? Did Phillip need to rescue/help Morgan and Stephanie? Does Dan really need to be Kate's cheerleader? Does Rafe need to keep Sami safe? Does EJ really need to rescue Nicole? Sometimes these women come off smarter/stronger than the men, yet they always need to be saved.
Just have them interact at work, at the coffee house, give them something to talk about (aside from relationships) and go from there. Stop with the eyes too.

That's all.

The "men saving women" is a raw, exposed nerve for me with this show. It would be super nice if once in a while a woman could save herself or even *gasp* not need a man every second of the day.

Re: Chloe and her cleavage, as one who likes both Nadia the actress and Chloe the character, I wish they would tone done her hair, makeup and wardrobe. It's not her fault that they constantly dress her as a sex kitten but I can see why people find it hard to get past. Nadia's gorgeous and doesn't need the heavy makeup; of course, all of the women suffer from too much makeup.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike

I agree with you and that is what the show was doing in spring, which is why things were forced.

However, I don't see the show doing that now. Daniel and Chloe interacted naturally back in April at Victor's dinner party and he made mention that he knew her. Then, Chloe came to the hospital last week with Lucas and was unsettled after seeing Kate. Daniel was there and they talked and yesterday they met at the gym. I don't see them forcing the issue. Interacting people in public places or through other characters and their situations is just the same as situations like having them work together. It's natural. It's not like Chloe suddenly wanting to become friends with Lucas.

Same goes for Sami and Rafe. He became her guard. Neither one can leave. She got two guards to leave. Circumstances through them together. Nothing forced about their interaction. Sure, they are pushing the romance angle too much but the interaction itself isn't forced. They just need to tone down the undertones, like you said.

Same goes for Philip and Stephanie. I already made mention of the hints in 2006 and she bumped into him at Java Cafe on her way out. It's a public place. Nothing forced. She goes to see him at the mansion because she knows of his involvement with Melanie and how he turned her in so she figured he would be a common ally to vent to. Then there is the bar scenes Tuesday where they interacted. Again, public place. As long as there is a reason to interact or it's a public place, I think it's fine.

Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 6 2008, 03:37 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

So the Nicole stuff in prison was entertaining and I liked the actresses they chose. However, I really hate prison scenes. I don't care for prison drama so I have a low tolerance for watching that. Glad to see EJ committed to finding where Nicole was though.

What does it say about me I'd rather watch Nick be a creepy stalker then watch him beg Max for help on his prototype? And can someone explain to me how Philip could look at the notes of the proposal and believe it needed to be reviewed?

I really can't take much more of this Melanie and Philip stuff. Now Philip is gonna "handle" her? Hearing him say that pisses me off because it reminds him what I wanted #1 from this story, a "bad girl" like Melanie falling hard for a "geeky guy" like Nick.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Wasn't the blonde prison girl Hellga from American Gladiators?

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 6 2008, 03:36 PM
brimike

I agree with you and that is what the show was doing in spring, which is why things were forced.

However, I don't see the show doing that now. Daniel and Chloe interacted naturally back in April at Victor's dinner party and he made mention that he knew her. Then, Chloe came to the hospital last week with Lucas and was unsettled after seeing Kate. Daniel was there and they talked and yesterday they met at the gym. I don't see them forcing the issue. Interacting people in public places or through other characters and their situations is just the same as situations like having them work together. It's natural. It's not like Chloe suddenly wanting to become friends with Lucas.
Okay, I'm not trying to be an ass, but I don't see how one small scene that happened 7 months ago , that someone could have easily missed/forgotten, and one small segment at the end of an episode last week qualifies as enough build-up for Chloe and Dan to not be considered out of the blue. Daniel and Hope have had more build up and opportunites to flirt. Chan2 is about as out of the blue as things can get as far as I'm concerned.

I can't see how I'm supposed to take two characters like Daniel and Chloe seriously when they don't even take themselves seriously. With all the flirting and sleeping aroung over the summer, not to even mention the relationships they're currently in, there's no way I see anything meaningful happen between these two...and since I'm not interested in any skeevy lust they have to offer....

brimike

fenderbabe
Nov 6 2008, 04:43 PM
Okay, I'm not trying to be an ass, but I don't see how one small scene that happened 7 months ago , that someone could have easily missed/forgotten, and one small segment at the end of an episode last week qualifies as enough build-up for Chloe and Dan to not be considered out of the blue. Daniel and Hope have had more build up and opportunites to flirt. Chan2 is about as out of the blue as things can get as far as I'm concerned.

I have to agree with this. Sorry, PR... if you had a C-story of scenes between Dan and Chloe during the hospital shutdown or something, then yeah - maybe I could see it. Even if you had scenes between them this week that weren't about physical prowess, but rather about something emotional, then yeah. I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief due to the backstage shenanigans, but everything's supposed to be peachy behind the scenes now, and it's still people being thrown together with no rhyme or reason. There's no build-up at all. Unless you're intentionally using a one-night stand to kick off story (i.e. Jake/Paulina on AW) I need at least a few weeks of platonic crossing before I can even believe for a second that I'm supposed to be interested in a pairing. Not one scene seven months ago and one scene last week.

There are things I like on-screen right now, but this isn't one of them. If I sit down and fill in all the blanks, then sure - I can probably rationalize the Daniel/Chloe pairing too. But this is a soap opera - there's about three and a half hours of aired television a week (minus commercials). I shouldn't need to fill in the blanks.

But that's just the kind of soap storytelling I like. It's probably why the Days of 2008 just isn't my style, no matter how hard I try to shoehorn it in to the lifelong love I have for this show.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Nov 6 2008, 05:14 PM
fenderbabe

I have to agree with this. Sorry, PR... if you had a C-story of scenes between Dan and Chloe during the hospital shutdown or something, then yeah - maybe I could see it. Even if you had scenes between them this week that weren't about physical prowess, but rather about something emotional, then yeah. I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief due to the backstage shenanigans, but everything's supposed to be peachy behind the scenes now, and it's still people being thrown together with no rhyme or reason. There's no build-up at all. Unless you're intentionally using a one-night stand to kick off story (i.e. Jake/Paulina on AW) I need at least a few weeks of platonic crossing before I can even believe for a second that I'm supposed to be interested in a pairing. Not one scene seven months ago and one scene last week.

There are things I like on-screen right now, but this isn't one of them. If I sit down and fill in all the blanks, then sure - I can probably rationalize the Daniel/Chloe pairing too. But this is a soap opera - there's about three and a half hours of aired television a week (minus commercials). I shouldn't need to fill in the blanks.

But that's just the kind of soap storytelling I like. It's probably why the Days of 2008 just isn't my style, no matter how hard I try to shoehorn it in to the lifelong love I have for this show.
I understand what your saying.

However, I don't think the show wants you to be interested in them as a couple yet. I think they are just putting it out there and gauging the reaction and if it's not positive, they move on. The way they did it they made it so that if they do drop it, it's no big deal, much like the Nicole/Daniel scene in September. They just had a normal talk at a bar and it as dropped, probably because the show didn't see much positive reaction to go on at that moment.

I forget who said it but it is sad that everytime characters interact like this, we automatically think "Her comes a new pairing." I do it too so I blame myself as well. I think that has really hurt all the shows because we all jump to conclusions and, if we like the potential we see, we get upset when the pairing ultimately doesn't work out. I think of this trend in the same vein as spoilers. Mindset is very important in how we all view soaps now and if we go into a story, episode, etc with the idea in mind that we already hate it or think we know what will happen (in a pessimistic, negative sense) or know what will happen, 9 times out of 10 you won't like what you watch. You may tolerate it at most. I think the genre has burned people so many times and then spoilers and other things have combined with that to increase pessimism, criticism, etc that now we tend to look at everything with a critical eye. When you analyze everything and pick everything apart, you lose the enjoyment. Believe me, I learned my lesson when I went back and watched old stuff from all the soaps from the 80's and 90's and found myself criticizing everything. I couldn't believe my reactions. My enjoyment was gone. That is why I tend to always be positive about Days and, now, about all soaps. I used to critique other soaps more harshly because Days was my first soap and has meant so much to me that I tend to be blinded when it comes to Days. The only time I could be very hard on Days was in late 2004-2005. The other soaps I never had a problem being critical. Now, I just watch the soaps and enjoy them. I'm even thinking about no longer commenting anymore in the episode threads. I just want to enjoy my soaps while I have them. I don't want to be a critic, especially if I'm not being paid for it :laugh: .

mesagirl
Member Avatar

Alligato
Nov 6 2008, 11:10 AM
mesagirl
Nov 6 2008, 10:40 AM
Nicole Dimera
Nov 6 2008, 03:07 AM
How could Daniel not look at her boobs and fall in love with her?
:laugh:

That's what I've been thinking. I don't like the constant man hopping that Chloe is doing either. Where's Lucas anyway? I miss seeing him on screen.

We should start using boob in the combo names instead of Chloe, afterall, her boobs really are the starring role when she's on screen. I don't get why they have to dress her showing 5 inches of cleavage all the time. I don't like Danoob, Philoob or Lucoob really. I wonder what will happen when Brady comes home.
mesa - this is the best Days post I have ever seen! Such a great laugh this morning. There is no way anyone could watch yesterday's show and not have their eyes pop out when Chloe turned around! Boobs all around!

I will renounce all I have ever said about Chloe if they have her wear a crew neck tshirt and her hair in a ponytail one day. Until then, she is Boobs.
:tounge:

Glad I could make ya'll laugh :laugh:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

fenderbabe
PhoenixRising05
Nov 6 2008, 03:36 PM
brimike

I can't see how I'm supposed to take two characters like Daniel and Chloe seriously when they don't even take themselves seriously. With all the flirting and sleeping aroung over the summer, not to even mention the relationships they're currently in, there's no way I see anything meaningful happen between these two...and since I'm not interested in any skeevy lust they have to offer....
See, if written well (we can hope), Daniel and Chloe could really work as a couple, even taking into consideration both of their actions since coming to Salem. To me, Chloe has tramped it up since she is back in Salem because the divorce with Brady messed her up, and even though she is gorgeous now, she still sees herself as "goul girl." Daniel obviously has a thing with "saving" women, Chelsea and Kate in particular. Together, Chloe and Daniel can get past their issues, and develop a strong relationship. And in real life, people flirt all of the time. I saw nothing skeevy about how Daniel and Chloe acted.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

That blonde in there with Nicole today looked like a manish version of Ali! Manmi!

I am so sick of Melanie. Waaaaaaaaay too much airtime. I do not care about the character AT ALL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This will shock people but I wasn't too high on today's episode.

While I did find Nicole's antics in the prison infirmary amusing and entertaining at times (the actresses playing the prisoners, including the one from Gladiators, and nurse were good and there were some good zingers), it reminded me and awful lot of Steve being in the mental ward last year. It was just full of stereotypes and way too over the top. Ari did well though and I did enjoy EJ being so determined to find her. I do like that they acknowledged how long Nicole was missing and how long EJ was looking for her since Days jumped to the next day yesterday. The EJ/Nicole scene at the end was good. I like the progression of their relationship and his telling her he came after her too and not just the baby. I think Nicole has reason to wonder if EJ is just interested in the baby so I'm glad she keeps calling him on that.

The stuff at the Pub was good. I like that they kind of left you wondering if Abe would take the job. There is alot of foreshadowing that this whole thing with the Mayor's murder will cost Abe his job. I'm interested in seeing this Mayor story play out and to see what happens with Abe and Lexie. I like that Abe wanted in on police work too. It would be hard to adjust to life in an office and not in the field. Nice that we got a smile out of Tony today too LOL. I'm glad he was involved the last two days. I hope he continues to be involved. The interactions between Tony, Roman, Abe, Lexie, Bo, and Hope were good. I did like Bo and Hope's banter and also the fun dynamic between Bo, Roman, and Abe. Good stuff. It does make me laugh that someone (Bo) who was under investigation from internal affairs two months ago just got named commissioner but I digress. Good stuff here. I love fun little events full of interactions like this. Can't wait to see what happens with Abe as Mayor and Bo as commissioner and Lexie looked very nice the way her hair was and the way she was dressed.

I continue to like Evan too. I hope they keep him around. He does alot with the little moments he gets. It was also nice to see Bo and Hope express concern over Nicole's baby.

I did like the Philip/Melanie scenes after Nick left. I know I'm in the minority on that though. I like that he sees through her and sees similarities of himself in her. That is why I think they are throwing them together so much. As I've mentioned, I think she is going to be a major thorn in his side. She knows he likes her. Not necessarily romantically but he likes to toy with her and he likes the challenge so my belief is she will use him eventually and will cause issues for him and maybe Stephanie down the road. They stood toe to toe very well. Good scenes.

Unfortunately, the rest was a waste. The business with Nick's invention went on far too long. I know it was part Philip helping Chelsea out and Nick so Melanie won't use him and I also know there were still kinks to work out but that took up far too much of the episode. I also hate that we went back to genius Max. I don't mind them playing that but because it creates some conflict concerning his father but they don't focus nearly enough on it to make me care. I would've loved to have more creepy Nick instead of all the invention stuff, which could've easily been handled in one or two segments.

I'm liking all the different sets. Seeing the Cheatin Heart again is great. I love that the show has branched out now and isn't just using the Pub and Dimera mansion, two sets that dominated the summer along with the hospital. It makes the show more appealing on a visual level. You don't get sick of what your seeing LOL.

As much as I like Melanie, they better tone down her airtime after sweeps. I understand why she is big now with the murder story and all but, after this month, they need to ease up on her airtime for a bit.

Anyway, today wasn't all that impressive but it's the first episode in awhile that I felt that way about. I've already seen tomorrow's and it's a bit better but I hated how they ended it.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 6 2008, 11:51 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Angie79
Nov 6 2008, 10:23 PM
That blonde in there with Nicole today looked like a manish version of Ali! Manmi!
Angie - you are too funny. I thought she was a fine looking person until she opened her mouth...then I was certain she was a man. That can't be her real voice.

Today's show was good, albeit a bit silly.

Nicole and EJ scenes were good...liked that she keeps calling EJ on just wanting the baby because that seems what he keeps saying. We will see if next week I am convinced if he really likes her. Totally out of left field when she mentioned Stefano. A little paranoid much?

And I am already ducking and covering but....
I kind of liked Phillip and Melanie yesterday. The way Phil pulled her back and whispered in her ear...I thought that was pretty hot. I get the impression that Phil has some major sexual attraction to her or maybe just some control issues with her that he wants to get out. Phil came off way too confident, a bit creepy/scary, and majorly hot! I enjoy how he seems to be the only one who can call her on her shit and she looks weak around him.

I also thought it was funny how Phillip/Nick/Max can talk about this prototype and its problems but be as vague as possible so we don't know what the hell they are talking about. So Phil only held back the grant from Titan because of Melanie? Sweet!

Also thought it was funny that in Nicole's sworn statement, Bo is allowed to interject comments that are unfounded. If Nicole hasn't been convicted of anything in her past, why can Bo keep bringing that up. Shouldn't he know that can't be used? I still can't stand Bo and Hope in cop mode. Nice to see them show their tiny hearts when it came to Nicole's kid.

It was a pretty good show!

brimike

PhoenixRising05
Nov 6 2008, 11:30 PM

While I did find Nicole's antics in the prison infirmary amusing and entertaining at times (the actresses playing the prisoners, including the one from Gladiators, and nurse were good and there were some good zingers), it reminded me and awful lot of Steve being in the mental ward last year. It was just full of stereotypes and way too over the top.
What is it about Days and this problem - I have always wondered that! It doesn't matter who the Executive Producer is, or who the Casting Director is, or who the director is, these scenes always end up looking silly, and like you said, full of stereotypes.

For awhile I thought it was a Tom Langan issue, then I thought it was a Steve Wyman issue, but then when Ed Scott and Marnie Saitta came on, it still reared its ugly head now and then. And now it happened under Tomlin.

Is it something in the water? :D When I was out there, I even paid attention to it, trying to see if there were specific directions given to be over the top in scenes like that, but nope. It just naturally happens. It's so weird... any time there's any scene either in a jail or an asylum or another country, or whatever, it brings out the worst in that place. The rest of Salem looks great, and their extras completely blend in... until we step outside a restaurant or the hospital. So goofy...

Kenny
Member Avatar

Bahahaha @ MarDevil calling Melanie! :)

Kenny
Member Avatar

To think that this time one year ago, we were getting the awesomeness of Phillip/Belle (God, I miss you Martha!), the Thanksgiving Shelle wedding (remember that awesome scene with Marlena/Stefano at DiMansion?! "You made me... your killer!"), black widow Marlena and the aftermath of John's death... it just makes me so sad. Even the production values were better! The stories had weight. The show felt serious and must-see again, and the characters were truly layered. I hadn't been that involved with the stories since JER left in 1997. Marlena and Belle especially were being written so beautifully this time last year... almost poetically.

I can't believe that the writers were actually bold enough to "go there" with the affair of Phillip and Belle. Usually they always give the heroines an excuse or some sort of "out," but Belle was imperfect and flawed and it made the whole story so fascinating to watch. So many possibilities snuffed out with the arrival of Dena Higley.

What a difference a year makes. The stories we're getting now are nothing more than a colossal joke. J&M in limbo, Melanoma overload... blah. I could just cry, LoL.

brimike

The ratings over the next few weeks will be very telling. I'm not surprised Days did better in the demos for Summer '08 than they did in Summer '07 (no need to elaborate - we all remember the storylines that were playing last summer). But Days did well in the two months after John died last year. That second plus/minus parenthetical in the ratings (showing whether they're up or down from a year ago) will be a good gauge whether you're in the minority in that opinion or not, Kenny.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply