Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion; For week of November 3rd
Topic Started: Nov 3 2008, 04:12 PM (4,758 Views)
Mason
Member Avatar

Kenny, you know I couldn't agree more. It's just tragic how quickly we went from prime rib to this fast food junk that's being churned out now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alligato
Member Avatar

Dammit, Kenny!
I didn't realize how awesome that story was until I saw your clip. I so miss Belle and her dynamic with Phillip and Shawn, and how crazy that was. And Phillip! My man rocked that story coming off passionate and gorgeous, and it was so easy to pull for Belle to cheat as a newlywed when it was Phillip she was cheating with. Great stuff!

Now he is having sexual fantasies about an 17 year old! Where is Belle when we need her!
Big sigh!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Martha in that story was just so good. I couldn't get enough of her! Belle and Marlena... like mother, like daughter, LoL. It's interesting the way both Belle and Marlena have been written as adultresses, yet rootable heroines at the same time. Only great writing and terrific acting can pull that off. Those kind of character flaws are what make well-written soap operas so fascinating to watch. Too often, we end up with cardboard characters and generic stories.

I especially loved Belle's confession to Shawn on New Year's Eve that she had cheated on him with Phillip. Martha really rocked that scene! I can't believe they actually fired Martha. I'm still just like... WHAT? You don't fire a powerhouse actress like that! She was amazing and raw.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Kenny that clip was wonderful to watch.. That story really was a goldmine for Days, and with Chloe added into the mix there was so much more story to tell...

Alligato
Member Avatar

Just to touch a bit more on today's show.
Phillip looks gorgeous! Must be the hair or the attitude with Melanie or the punching bag and those bulging arms, but da-yum!

Nick = creepy

Was this show filmed months ago because AS is wearing regular woman's jeans and hardly looks preggers! I could buy EJ and Marlena not realizing pregnancy dressed like that compared to that tent and sweater crap two weeks ago.

And I can tolerate Sami and even enjoy her with her Rafe scenes, but as soon as she started yelling about Nicole, it was nails on a chalkboard. Ugh, she can go from enjoyable to cringe worth in 2 seconds.

EJ/Nicole/Bo/Hope = snooze
Again, stop with the Melanie for a day or two.

Love the Bo/Billie/Hope signature, Kenny. I was really into the Robert Kelker Kelley's Bo and Billie in high school, and I know he was a little skeeze, but I loved that triangle and surprisingly pulled for Bo and Billie....before youtube where I could look up the Bo/Hope love story and learn their history. Still liked Billie.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Today' show........ :sleep:

brimike

OT: Hey! Kenny replaced Bette Midler with... Lousie Sorel?!

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not sure what it is.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Nov 7 2008, 09:42 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 6 2008, 11:30 PM

While I did find Nicole's antics in the prison infirmary amusing and entertaining at times (the actresses playing the prisoners, including the one from Gladiators, and nurse were good and there were some good zingers), it reminded me and awful lot of Steve being in the mental ward last year. It was just full of stereotypes and way too over the top.
What is it about Days and this problem - I have always wondered that! It doesn't matter who the Executive Producer is, or who the Casting Director is, or who the director is, these scenes always end up looking silly, and like you said, full of stereotypes.

For awhile I thought it was a Tom Langan issue, then I thought it was a Steve Wyman issue, but then when Ed Scott and Marnie Saitta came on, it still reared its ugly head now and then. And now it happened under Tomlin.

Is it something in the water? :D When I was out there, I even paid attention to it, trying to see if there were specific directions given to be over the top in scenes like that, but nope. It just naturally happens. It's so weird... any time there's any scene either in a jail or an asylum or another country, or whatever, it brings out the worst in that place. The rest of Salem looks great, and their extras completely blend in... until we step outside a restaurant or the hospital. So goofy...
Your absolutely right. It doesn't seem to matter what regime. I do think it was at it's worse under JER. As far as Steve in the psych ward, the show had never done that before in that environment so I cut them some slack but it was very offensive.

I was amused and entertained at times yesterday but also annoyed. I think more or less I felt it was unnecessary. They could've just had Nicole get so scared being in a jail cell in the dark or with cockroaches or something that she started having pains. Something like that. You don't always need to go over the top with it. That and there was like no purpose in EJ rescuing her. The nurse already saved Nicole. As I said, they should've just had her work herself up too much, causing pains and had that be the catalyst.

I think the show thinks it's what the audience wants. It's campy and over the top and I guess it works because ever since Days returned to being a bit more campy, the ratings have responded, which leads me to the comparison between last year and now.

I agree 100% the stories were better. However, the show had stories already going at that time. Right now, you have stories that just began a few weeks ago and others that still need work. The show also had 2-3 main stories going. Right now, it has many stories going. That was a complaint many had in 2007 in regards to Days. There were only 2-3 stories and if you didn't like one or two of them, you were screwed. Even with the lack of Steve, Kayla, etc and overuse of Melanie and others, lately the show is more balanced. There are more stories in rotation. That is one problem I had with 2007 myself.

The writing of 2007 was the kind of writing I enjoy. Very complex, layered characters, etc. However, it's clear the bulk of the audience didn't want that. Yes, you can't please everyone and no matter who writes you will have a good 25% of people or more complaining but so many Days fans found the changes at Days jarring. After a decade or more of the same style, Hogan and co came in and made Days more serious and character-driven. While many of us on the DR/SON/etc liked it, it's clear we were vastly outnumbered. There were so many fans who were more worried about the characters onscreen or the lack of stories then ones who worry about layered characters and so on. That was the issue. I wish we could have that type of writing and see results but I don't think that can happen with Days.

That much is clear when you look at the ratings. Not much happened on Days in October. Not much happened last week. Yet, Days is doing much better in demos and is holding on in HH and viewers. It lost 44,000 last week but gained back 54,000 this week. It's sort of building an audience and building demos and the show hasn't done that in a LONG time. Usually it was up big for a week or so and then they would lose it all a few weeks later.

There is something disturbing about the numbers for those clamoring for more vets. The fact that Days is holding it''s own, doing better in demos, etc with the current stories and characters dominating does not help the cause of the fans who are upset by not seeing the characters they want to see. I recognize they are losing in the older demos but the show isn't going to care when it's doing good in the so called key demos and such and doing it with the young cast and other stories currently in play.

It will be interesting to see what happens in sweeps. If Days' current pattern continues, it could be an impressive December and January for them because they usually do very well in those months.

esp13
Member Avatar

How does Days have more stories going on now then it did in 2007? Right now, we have the Trent murder mystery, Babypalooza (EJ/Nicole/Sami/Rafe), Kate's cancer, and Abe and Lexie (mayor/autism). At this point in 2007 we had John's death, EJ and Sami's wedding/marriage, the sorority stuff (Ford, et. al.), Shawn and Belle's upcoming wedding/Belle's infidelity.

We don't have more stories now, just different ones. I don't think the show is any more balanced than it was at this point in 2008, either. It's just that instead of EJ/Sami/Lucas, it's EJ/Nicole/Sami. Instead of the Ford Decker stuff, it's Trent's murder. The vets who had considerable material surrounding John's death are heavily backburned. Now, there may be those who are much happier with how the show is in November of 2008 than they were in November of 2007 and that's great. But, I'm not one of them, I'm afraid.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

esp13
Nov 7 2008, 05:10 PM
How does Days have more stories going on now then it did in 2007? Right now, we have the Trent murder mystery, Babypalooza (EJ/Nicole/Sami/Rafe), Kate's cancer, and Abe and Lexie (mayor/autism). At this point in 2007 we had John's death, EJ and Sami's wedding/marriage, the sorority stuff (Ford, et. al.), Shawn and Belle's upcoming wedding/Belle's infidelity.

We don't have more stories now, just different ones. I don't think the show is any more balanced than it was at this point in 2008, either. It's just that instead of EJ/Sami/Lucas, it's EJ/Nicole/Sami. Instead of the Ford Decker stuff, it's Trent's murder. The vets who had considerable material surrounding John's death are heavily backburned. Now, there may be those who are much happier with how the show is in November of 2008 than they were in November of 2007 and that's great. But, I'm not one of them, I'm afraid.
Your forgetting the J&M story (it's backburnered but still a story) and your also forgetting the impending Brady/Chloe/Lucas stuff. Your also forgetting that John's death last year wasn't even a story. It just played into the feud story. They wrapped up the death angle in a week and a half. You had 3 stories last year at this time. You had the Brady/Dimera feud which contained the Sami/Lucas/EJ stuff and John's death/Marlena's vengeance, Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe, and the Ford stuff. That's it. Nothing else. Three stories and, really, the Ford stuff did not get played much at all until December when he died so there is clearly more stories going on. The show doesn't have stories that involve many characters being involved. It's got individuals stories that it's setting up to kind of intermingle a bit. Big difference.

Yes, the balance is not perfect but we are seeing more characrters now then we did this year even with the lack of Tony, Steve, Kayla, etc. Instead of Sami, Lucas, EJ, Belle, Shawn, Philip, etc dominating we now have Kate, Daniel, Lucas, Chloe, Nicole, EJ, Melanie, Nick, Chelsea, Stephanie, Lexie, Abe , Bo, Hope, Stefano, Sami, Rafe, etc getting heavy airtime and the show usually gives each of them a day break at least during the week to break things up. It's also alternating stories throughout the week instead of one story dominating. Come this week, I'm sure Brady will be tossed into the mix as well and it sees J&M will be featured more to so more characters and another story in rotation. HUGE difference from last year.

Mason
Member Avatar

And yet, even with fewer stories, last November still beats the living hell out of this November. I'd rather have a few great quality stories over a handful of so-so (at best) stories, any day of the week.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I'm with you on that. It's just that everyone doesn't feel that way and that's unfortunate.

esp13
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 7 2008, 05:19 PM
Your forgetting the J&M story (it's backburnered but still a story) and your also forgetting the impending Brady/Chloe/Lucas stuff. Your also forgetting that John's death last year wasn't even a story. It just played into the feud story. They wrapped up the death angle in a week and a half. You had 3 stories last year at this time. You had the Brady/Dimera feud which contained the Sami/Lucas/EJ stuff and John's death/Marlena's vengeance, Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe, and the Ford stuff. That's it. Nothing else. Three stories and, really, the Ford stuff did not get played much at all until December when he died so there is clearly more stories going on. The show doesn't have stories that involve many characters being involved. It's got individuals stories that it's setting up to kind of intermingle a bit. Big difference.

Yes, the balance is not perfect but we are seeing more characrters now then we did this year even with the lack of Tony, Steve, Kayla, etc. Instead of Sami, Lucas, EJ, Belle, Shawn, Philip, etc dominating we now have Kate, Daniel, Lucas, Chloe, Nicole, EJ, Melanie, Nick, Chelsea, Stephanie, Lexie, Abe , Bo, Hope, Stefano, Sami, Rafe, etc getting heavy airtime and the show usually gives each of them a day break at least during the week to break things up. It's also alternating stories throughout the week instead of one story dominating. Come this week, I'm sure Brady will be tossed into the mix as well and it sees J&M will be featured more to so more characters and another story in rotation. HUGE difference from last year.
Actually, I'm not forgetting anything. The J&M story is pretty much non-existent at this point and the Brady/Chloe/Lucas stuff hasn't even started yet which is why I didn't mention it. I'm also not forgetting that John's death was a week long story. However, as you yourself point out, it was tied to the Brady/DiMera stuff and included the post-death, Marlena stuff.

But, for the sake of argument, I will concede that we had three storylines last year -- the DiBrady Feud, Shellip, and the Ford Decker storyline. I think I originally said that there were four storylines, because I think the EJ/Sami/Lucas stuff deserves it's own little category, but whatever.

This year we have Babypalooza (EJ/Nicole/Sami/Rafe and, by extension, Lucas and Chloe), Trent murder mystery (Stephanie, Max, Nick, Melanie, Philip, Bo, Hope, Chelsea (to a lesser degree)), Kate's cancer (Daniel, Kate, Philip, Lucas, Chloe), and Abe's political career (Abe, Lexie, Theo). I would say that the one thing that is better now is that the main storylines intersect a lot more. But, in my opinion, there are not "clearly more" storylines than there were last year. As for the Ford stuff, it was prevelant in November because that's when Cordy and Morgan accused Ford (Morgan's attempted rape was on Halloween). And, I distinctly recall it because so many were complaining about how the sorority group was being shoved down our throats.

I don't see how you can say that the show doesn't have "big stories that involve many characters" when the Trent murder mystery involves 8 characters and Babypalooza has 4-6 with one more about to join the fray. That's pretty much how things worked with the DiBrady feud and the Ford storyline.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the balance thing. I don't think it's necessarily less balanced than it was last year based on numbers of characters getting semi-decent airtime. But, I don't think it's more balanced and, in terms of character groups, I think it is less balanced. But, I'm sure that's a matter of opinion, like most things.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Just the thought of the DiBrady feud makes me want to hurl. It may have been last year when Sami was acting like a total maniac coward/hero, but it was awful and so inconsistant. The word "vendetta", "folio", "I have no choice" were repeated ad nauseum, and the plot of every story made no sense.

While today's stories are a little out there and all over the place, I am so thankful that Hogan is gone and those stories are history. I didn't like much of last year at this time at all, even John's death was dumb and still don't know who did it or why, Andre, Bart's back, Ford took a little fall down the stairs and died and those girls just stared at him, then genius Max moves a dead body twice and sticks it in a waterheater, all of it sucked....Belle/Phillip not counting.
Edited by Alligato, Nov 7 2008, 09:51 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Today was ok. It seems like we are in a lull with yesterday and today. That's ok. The show's been solid for a few weeks and we know it amps things up next week.

Sami/Rafe were ok. I'm still not seeing alot of sparks but they hold my interest and it's not coming off too much like Shuis. I did LMAO when Rafe mentioned bringing down a drug cartel as Luis did that on Passions LOL. I HATED the ending. How do you end an episode, especially a FRIDAY, on something like Rafe stealing Sami's clothes. Stupid. That pretty much brought the whole episode down for me right there.

Philip/Melanie I enjoyed because I like their face offs and they match up well in them but it felt like rehash from yesterday and, much like yesterday, too much focus on Nick/Max and the invention. That all could've been settled quicker. It did get interesting once Melanie got to the bar and I did like the scenes with Nick calling her and the scene at Maggie's house afterwards. Creepy and I think they should've ended the episode on that story and not the Sami/Rafe stuff that made the ending lackluster. Max/Melanie had a cute scene and I'm glad Melanie is 18 so that is no longer an issue. I just hope the show doesn't use it as an excuse to pair her with Philip. They can with Nick but not Philip. I don't mind her interacting with him and them having them be thorns in each other's side but nothing romantic.

I really enjoyed Philip/Stephanie. Easily the best part of the episode for me. Enjoyed their banter and their chemistry is very good. I like the way the show is doing these interactions with the gym and all. It works well. I also like them having Stephanie take control of her life with focusing on school and work and her career. That was needed to show maturity and make a possible relationship with Philip work. Good job there.

Nicole/EJ had some good scenes but I did feel they dragged out the "confession" scenes too long. I did like Bo and Hope being a bit less snobbish today. Their behavior toward her never bothered me but considering the doubts they are having and the circumstances, I wanted them to tone it down and they did. I did like Bo and Hope's banter early on in the episode about him being commissioner. Cute stuff. I did get the sense that Nicole was framed. The SPD is dumb but they would've found that stuff on the first look through. Someone went back and planted it and I think that will be mentioned. The fact that the show had Bo mention how they looked once and found it on the second look through and had Nicole question it leads me to believe it meant something like that. They wouldn't have made it seem so important otherwise. I don't blame Nicole for thinking the worst of Stefano and EJ though. She's entitled, especially since she knows EJ still has feelings for Sami and how possessive Stefano is of his children and heirs.

It wasn't horrible today but the last two days dragged and were slow. It's ok to have one or two like that after a month or show of good ones (at least IMO) and things heat up next week (Monday's episode is VERY GOOD).

pnelsen

It is kind of hard for me to believe show has gone up in the ratings. I don't know who they are polling, but numbers can be fudged. The show has not been renewed as of yet.

This is just my opinion, but I think the writing is awful, and I really don't care about most of these characters. As for all of these people being involved in Trent's murder. The problem is that the writers never follow through with a story. Shouldn't we get some reaction from Caroline and Victor regarding Nicole's arrest? I thought Bo and Hope wanted Steve to help solve the Trent murder case. What happened to Stephano's marriage proposal to Kate? Meanwhile he doesn't even visit her in the hospital. All of a sudden Kate and Daniel are a thing???? Abe gets elected mayor (which was a joke) and Tony, Bo and Hope show up at his party? Where is Marlena his old and dearest friend. John was getting painful headaches which could possibly cause his death and that was dropped.
I'm sorry, but I think Corday and Higley bought a bunch of tv's and had rating boxes or whatever put on them, and are playing with their own numbers. What happened to "Days of Our Lives"?

cassie1013

I'm finding myself liking Melanie more and more. I'm enjoying her story with Nick and especially Philip! They have great chemistry, even with the age difference! Plus, she's mature enough for me to buy it as opposed to Chelsea and the good doctor. Melanie seems to have more life experience.

Kate has cancer isn't doing much for me thus far. I really don't like this story, and I'm finding Daniel a big snooze - why the hell is he so goddamn over the top with everything? Also, why do they seem to be testing Daniel and Chloe? So they can ship them both off together? Furthermore, why are Chloe and Lucus still being forced down our throats?!!!!!! They have to be one of the worst couples in DAYS history.

I still don't see why they felt the need to write in Ali's pregnancy. Like I said before, first it was a character trying to hide her pregnancy and now that's still going on, but she's completely isolated from the rest of the cast! Stupid, stupid, stupid. That aside, Sami and Hilda were HILARIOUS and I'm liking the story thus far with "Rafe" (the Passions dude)...there's still a good amount of comedy and they have good chemistry.

Bo and Hope are annoying me more and more, they're acting way too fucking high and mighty. They've made their fair share of mistakes in the Salem PD, and considering the know Nicole, I don't really see why they feel the need to treat her so horribly. I also think they need to work on Nicole and EJ - there's definitely something there, but I don't like how they're both acting so watered down.

And lastly, like some other people, I just skimmed over Abe and the election...BORING!
Edited by cassie1013, Nov 8 2008, 07:40 AM.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

Alligato
Nov 7 2008, 09:50 PM
Just the thought of the DiBrady feud makes me want to hurl. It may have been last year when Sami was acting like a total maniac coward/hero, but it was awful and so inconsistant. The word "vendetta", "folio", "I have no choice" were repeated ad nauseum, and the plot of every story made no sense.

While today's stories are a little out there and all over the place, I am so thankful that Hogan is gone and those stories are history. I didn't like much of last year at this time at all, even John's death was dumb and still don't know who did it or why, Andre, Bart's back, Ford took a little fall down the stairs and died and those girls just stared at him, then genius Max moves a dead body twice and sticks it in a waterheater, all of it sucked....Belle/Phillip not counting.
i have to agree. i'm not crazy about what's going on, but there are one or two stories i'm enjoying. under hogan, i hated everything.

Nicole Walker

I actually liked the Phillip and Melanie scenes. I thought Nicole had a point about being set up.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

I was thinking...with this Babypalooza (love the name!), do you think the writers will steal from OLTL and have Pookie bear a litter at the same time Sami/Nicole give birth? After all, clueless Tina had no idea Princess David Vickers had no balls.
For those of you who don't watch OLTL, two characters give birth, and a dog gives birth.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply