Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Weekly Discussion; For week of November 3rd
Topic Started: Nov 3 2008, 04:12 PM (4,614 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

ladyofthelake
Nov 8 2008, 06:06 PM
I was thinking...with this Babypalooza (love the name!), do you think the writers will steal from OLTL and have Pookie bear a litter at the same time Sami/Nicole give birth? After all, clueless Tina had no idea Princess David Vickers had no balls.
For those of you who don't watch OLTL, two characters give birth, and a dog gives birth.
Honestly, no. That would come off as too much of a blatant rip-off LOL.
Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Amello
Nov 8 2008, 06:11 PM
ladyofthelake
I was thinking...with this Babypalooza (love the name!), do you think the writers will steal from OLTL and have Pookie bear a litter at the same time Sami/Nicole give birth? After all, clueless Tina had no idea Princess David Vickers had no balls.
For those of you who don't watch OLTL, two characters give birth, and a dog gives birth.
My point exactly.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

ladyofthelake
Nov 8 2008, 06:24 PM
Amello
ladyofthelake
My point exactly.
The question is, does Dena care about looking unoriginal?
Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Amello
Nov 8 2008, 06:27 PM
ladyofthelake
Amello
ladyofthelake
My point exactly.
That's a good question. She might be cussin', saying "DAMN. Why didn't I think of it first? He's getting all the attention!"

Deleted User
Deleted User

ladyofthelake
Nov 8 2008, 06:28 PM
Amello
Nov 8 2008, 06:27 PM
ladyofthelake
Amello
ladyofthelake
My point exactly.
That's a good question. She might be cussin', saying "DAMN. Why didn't I think of it first? He's getting all the attention!"
The worst part is for most people that would encourage them to write as best they could, but sadly for us even Dena's best is barely mediocre.
Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Then, the direction and producing probably won't be as good, either. Those scenes on OLTL, going back and forth between birthin' scenes, with this cool song in the background (don't know who it was) was really neat. I just can't picture the same effect on Days. If nothing else, there's more emotion and angst on OLTL than on Days right now. The closest I've seen to a variety of emotional, deep inner angles, is with Nicole and with Lexie (in regards to Theo's treatment).

Deleted User
Deleted User

ladyofthelake
Nov 8 2008, 06:41 PM
Then, the direction and producing probably won't be as good, either. Those scenes on OLTL, going back and forth between birthin' scenes, with this cool song in the background (don't know who it was) was really neat. I just can't picture the same effect on Days. If nothing else, there's more emotion and angst on OLTL than on Days right now. The closest I've seen to a variety of emotional, deep inner angles, is with Nicole and with Lexie (in regards to Theo's treatment).
Yes I don't know why DAYS is so hesitant with montages sequences. When done well they could be really powerful.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Nov 8 2008, 06:56 PM
ladyofthelake
Yes I don't know why DAYS is so hesitant with montages sequences. When done well they could be really powerful.
Well, they weren't under Ed Scott. Until summer, we were getting all the time. I do agree. They are quite effective and I hope we get them again. Noel Maxam is still there and I don't think Tomlin is against using them as they've been done on shows he's worked on.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 8 2008, 10:07 PM.

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Nov 8 2008, 10:06 PM
Amello
ladyofthelake
Well, they weren't under Ed Scott. Until summer, we were getting all the time. I do agree. They are quite effective and I hope we get them again. Noel Maxam is still there and I don't think Tomlin is against using them as they've been done on shows he's worked on.
Really? The only great one I remember is the episode Doug narrated.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Nov 8 2008, 10:26 PM
PhoenixRising05
Amello
ladyofthelake
Yep. We had the one during John's death, actually two. There was the Shelle wedding one and the Christmas and New Year's Eve ones.

Then there was one during the plane crash aftermath and during the week of Shawn's funeral. There were several during Bo's illness and I think there was one in April.

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Nov 8 2008, 10:34 PM
Amello
Nov 8 2008, 10:26 PM
PhoenixRising05
Amello
ladyofthelake
Yep. We had the one during John's death, actually two. There was the Shelle wedding one and the Christmas and New Year's Eve ones.

Then there was one during the plane crash aftermath and during the week of Shawn's funeral. There were several during Bo's illness and I think there was one in April.
Right right. Bad memory. Not that this is a big problem or anything, more like a preference thing. But DAYS has always lacked at doing them compared to the other soaps, at least one with emotional impact.
Quote Post Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Montages are great and can be a very effective tool to illustrate the emotion between a couple or history of a character. Anther thing they can be used for is to properly end a show. For a second I thought we were going back to that, in the spring I believe there were like 2 episodes back to back with musical montages that featured the episode cast in what they were doing.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Yeah, I miss the music montages too.

I don't like it when they happen every other episode, because that's just overkill and it tends to lose impact when they're doing it too often. Peppered in every now and again is the way to go. :)

This is the least of the show's problems though.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny is right. They are best in moderation. I think we had two back to back days of them during Bo's illness. They do add some punch to things. They make the production classier.

The one thing I liked is that they were only used under Ed Scott when necessary. They never came off as a forced attempt at creating emotion.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Amello
ladyofthelake
Montage. Thank you. I couldn't think of the word yesterday!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply