Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Casting Tidbit
Topic Started: Nov 7 2008, 04:58 PM (2,254 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Tripp
Nov 9 2008, 10:11 AM
brimike
Nov 9 2008, 10:03 AM
I would kill for an Anne Heche/Blake Berris scene... but ONLY if Richard Culliton writes the breakdown AND the script.

THAT'S a Days episode I'll happily write more than ten words about.
Anne Heche is an interesting choice. She hasn't been doing much right now (that I know of) but her name is big enough that it should Days some good publicity. She also owes her success to soaps getting her start at AW.

But we'd never get THAT lucky.
I forgot to say it backwards.
No, no, casting director. Don't even CONSIDER Anne Hecht. Big mistake, big mistake!!! :D
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

zyona
Nov 9 2008, 12:10 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 9 2008, 11:54 AM
It will add depth and make the character stronger. I never felt he was a strong character and I don't want to see the Nick we saw in his early days. With all he's been through since he came to Salem, it would make no sense. He
I disagree with Nick not being a strong character, don't get me wrong I didn't think him and Chelsea had that much of chemistry, but Blake is a great actor and very underrated. I thought he should have been nominated instead of Darin, but that is me. I can't wait to see what the writers will do with him after everybody finds out that he killed Trent and try to convince Melanie that she did it. I wish she were the one who killed her Daddy. I wish they paired him with Morgan, because I thought they could be great together.

I think, though, having Marie or Jessica back would strengthen this delicate house of cards. I think they'll try to salvage Nick. If they do it convincingly, however...that remains to be seen. Blake will do his part, but will the writers and directors?

brimike

^^^ I guess that's what I'm saying. I put A LOT of importance on murder, especially when it's in cold blood like this. Whether he was in his right mind or not, it's still MURDER. And yes, it's true - you can write a character redemption that can salvage that. But I just don't trust these writers to do that. It takes years for a character to come back from something like this... and somehow I doubt, they'll take their time and explore the psychological nature of committing this crime. Blake will deliver, but like you said, I just can't see the writers and directors doing their part.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I don't see why Nick can't come back from this. EJ was responsible for Eve's murder and he shot John in cold blood. What we see on Nick on Monday is he does stab Trent in a case to protect Melanie. Obviously the drug addiction and that event caused his mind to malfunction and with his family history they could easily use MPD as a means to show he's insane and not responsible for his current crimes. Earlier this year Kate and Marlena both shot guns at EJ and got off scot free.

We know the show has hired a new shrink. We know they mention Jessica's illness. Of course the way this show goes anything could happen but I'm really hoping they aren't getting ready to fire Blake.

One thing though I'm fairly sure they have ruined forever is Mick (Nick and Melanie) because I don't see why Melanie would be able to trust being around Nick again. Maybe that is why they are having her try to con him so heavily and one could argue that Nick's actions against her was because he was really out of his mind while she was intentionally trying to manipulate him. However, it's a fine line they have with Nick around Melanie and even if he doesn't try to hurt her on purpose, this creepy threatening act usually is enough to push any girl away. Everyone knows I'm a chick fan but I really did like Melanie and Nick's chemistry and hate that the way they gave this (challenging) story for Blake pretty much ruined their chances.
Edited by Tripp, Nov 9 2008, 01:36 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Tripp
Nov 9 2008, 01:34 PM
I don't see why Nick can't come back from this. EJ was responsible for Eve's murder and he shot John in cold blood. What we see on Nick on Monday is he does stab Trent in a case to protect Melanie. Obviously the drug addiction and that event caused his mind to malfunction and with his family history they could easily use MPD as a means to show he's insane and not responsible for his current crimes. Earlier this year Kate and Marlena both shot guns at EJ and got off scot free.

We know the show has hired a new shrink. We know they mention Jessica's illness. Of course the way this show goes anything could happen but I'm really hoping they aren't getting ready to fire Blake.

One thing though I'm fairly sure they have ruined forever is Mick (Nick and Melanie) because I don't see why Melanie would be able to trust being around Nick again. Maybe that is why they are having her try to con him so heavily and one could argue that Nick's actions against her was because he was really out of his mind while she was intentionally trying to manipulate him. However, it's a fine line they have with Nick around Melanie and even if he doesn't try to hurt her on purpose, this creepy threatening act usually is enough to push any girl away. Everyone knows I'm a chick fan but I really did like Melanie and Nick's chemistry and hate that the way they gave this (challenging) story for Blake pretty much ruined their chances.
ITA, Tripp. And, Nick came in more redeemable than EJ, anyway. EJ came in as a questionable, shady type character with a mysterious past. Nick really didn't. Nick has been Mr. Good Guy hero for so long, that even with murder, they'll find a way.
And, yes, it takes years to redeem a murderer in general, but Days doesn't have years. I'm willing to bet that a lot of fans will overlook this whole thing. It's not like Nick shoved doughnuts down Grandma's throat. And even the person who did that was redeemed. IF the killer of Alice can be redeemed, so can Nick. It was Trent Robbins, who was never given a chance to be lovable. For most fans, that's enough to fanwank Nick as murdering hero. Even I dont think Melanie is worth it. :D

brimike

Tripp
Nov 9 2008, 01:34 PM

To be fair, I had a lot of issues with EJ's "redemption" story as well. Not to mention what happened with EJ's shooting.

I guess I'm sensitive to that stuff. Doesn't mean everyone has to be, but when you've got everyone in town committing acts of violence, they tend to start to lose their meaning, and that bugs me out. But that's an all-of-daytime issue, not just Days.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I think the show's going to a fair amount of trouble to make this not a random act of violence. I mean, I think they made Nick the killer because he's one of the most squeaky-clean people on canvas by Salem standards and they think it will be shocking. That being said, they're giving him more than, say, Lucas got when he shot EJ--that was just supposed to be jealousy/frustration motivating that crime, whereas Nick is apparently going to be mentally ill and having problems with prescription medication and saving Melanie from Trent. And Trent was an utterly worthless bastard who nobody cared was dead. I think if they were going to write Nick off, they wouldn't have had it be under these circumstances, where there a lot of factors going into making this an interesting character study.

I don't like the random use of serious criminal acts as plot points either. But I do think in this case that it's not going to be all that hard to redeem Nick.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Nov 9 2008, 02:26 PM
I think the show's going to a fair amount of trouble to make this not a random act of violence. I mean, I think they made Nick the killer because he's one of the most squeaky-clean people on canvas by Salem standards and they think it will be shocking. That being said, they're giving him more than, say, Lucas got when he shot EJ--that was just supposed to be jealousy/frustration motivating that crime, whereas Nick is apparently going to be mentally ill and having problems with prescription medication and saving Melanie from Trent. And Trent was an utterly worthless bastard who nobody cared was dead. I think if they were going to write Nick off, they wouldn't have had it be under these circumstances, where there a lot of factors going into making this an interesting character study.

I don't like the random use of serious criminal acts as plot points either. But I do think in this case that it's not going to be all that hard to redeem Nick.
ITA. That's what I was trying to say. We've had characters do regular acts of violence (as brimike said) over and over without the hint of guilt. It's also quite rare for them to "pay" for their deeds such as Max only having to do community service with Ford (and bitching about it like Chelsea did on her community service) while Stephanie and Chelsea got off scot-free.

So the difference I see with Nick is they seem to be laying groundwork here so that when it becomes clear and Nick is revealed to be the killer, the show can then devote his storyline to getting the help he needs and hopefully giving Blake even more great material (I can't wait for the realNick to come back and then have to come to terms with what he's been doing).

Split personalities and mental illness are honestly quite a soap staple. Days hasn't featured too many that I really recall (Didn't Kimberly have one?) but other soaps have done them to death, OLTL being tops with Viki/Nikki and of course Jess/Tess (right?)

Charmqn
Member Avatar

Kimberly did have split personalities, also Jessica Blake...didn't Kristen have it or am I mistaken?

Mason
Member Avatar

^ No, Jessica and Kristen weren't related. Jessica left the show looong before Kristen and Peter came on.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

I didn't say Kristen and Jessica were related, I was wondering if Kristen had multiple personality disorder or not? I could be mistaken

brimike

Nope. SHe just played twelve different roles. :) But no multiple personalities, as far as I can remember.

brimike

I'm confused - did I miss something? Does Nick have a split personality? I thought it was just a prescription drug problem.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

brimike
Nov 9 2008, 06:09 PM
I'm confused - did I miss something? Does Nick have a split personality? I thought it was just a prescription drug problem.
Not even the drug problem has shown up on the show. People are speculating because his mother had a split personality, and there is speculation he inherited a mental illness, but maybe not necessarily DID.

Deleted User
Deleted User

You guys do realize D.I.D is not hereditary, right?
Quote Post Goto Top

brimike

So basically this is all based on message board musings?

Man, I've got to pay closer attention to the show. I swear, there's a different show being talked about on here sometimes. :D

Deleted User
Deleted User

brimike
Nov 9 2008, 06:28 PM

Man, I've got to pay closer attention to the show. I swear, there's a different show being talked about on here sometimes. :D
Yup, it's all hearsay.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Charmqn
Nov 9 2008, 06:06 PM
I didn't say Kristen and Jessica were related, I was wondering if Kristen had multiple personality disorder or not? I could be mistaken
Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

brimike
Nov 9 2008, 06:28 PM

LOL! I think we're musing on what could be great with this. To save Nick (and Blake's position), there needs to be extenuating circumstances. Since his mother suffered from a mental illness, this could be a wonderful story.

brimike

There's a LOT that could be great about it. I don't doubt that at all. Whether or not it comes to pass though...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply