Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Higgs: STOP Writing Blake Berris Into A Corner; From: Daytime Confidential.
Topic Started: Nov 9 2008, 10:22 PM (1,000 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Note to Days' Dena Higley: STOP Writing Blake Berris Into A Corner!
by Jamey Giddens

As the onlaught of Passions hunks begins on Days of Our Lives, I have to say, I am particularly troubled about the reveal that Horton great-grandson Nick Fallon, played by the brilliant and underrated Blake Berris, will next week be revealed as Trent's killer, according to Soap Opera Weekly. Is Dena Higley trying to write possibly the best actor on her canvas into a corner to make room for more eye candy? If so this will be the latest in a long run of this writer's costly mistakes.

One of the few highlights this show still has to offer is watching Berris, an actual theater-vetted actor, make even the most ridiculous and implausible plot points believable, due to his earthy, realistic acting style. Speaking of ridiculous and implausiable, I don't buy for one second that sensitive, creative Nick would kill anyone, let alone allow Grandma Brady or a pregnant Nicole Walker to take the fall all for this Melanie person he has only known for five minutes. This plot point is a, wait for it, hot mess!

Were it Chelsea (Rachel Melvin) who Nick killed someone for I might buy it, since she is the only girl he has ever loved. You can tell me he loves Melanie all you want, but until she show me, I won't buy it.

SPOILERS for next week indicate Nick will lie to Melanie when she starts to catch on, telling her that she did in fact off her pervy daddy. He will then try to convince her that they need to leave Salem together.

If this storyline were in the hands of a head writer who understood nuance and possessed the ability to pen an articulate storyline that could effectively redeem a fallen hero, I wouldn't be so nervous, but since Higley's writing isn't known for its shades of gray, all I can say is I hope her boss Gary Tomlin recognizes what an amazing talent Blake Berris before its too late.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I could kiss whomever wrote this.

Although I wish Higley would stop writing altogether, not just writing BB into a corner.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mason
Nov 9 2008, 10:31 PM

Although I wish Higley would stop writing altogether, not just writing BB into a corner.
Before we say she's writing him into a corner let's go through some things first.

1) With the direction Nick is going, it would be sensible that Nick was in fact being written into a corner.

2) However, Dena Higley is and never will be a sensible writer.

3) Therefore, just because Nick committed murder is no real indication of him being written into a corner.

The following has nothing to do with how I may actually feel about the story.
Quote Post Goto Top

annalee003
Member Avatar

I'm just glad he's getting an actual storyline.

brimike

Is this Jamey who wrote this? Sounds like him.

I love that boy. LOL!

dooldooldool

Blake is going nowhere. After all, he has killed before. The "crazed, psychotic, delusional" Nick is a great storyline. It plays wonderfully on his history. His mother was a crazed multiple-personality psycho. True, "Angel" never killed anyone. She just turned tricks.

Hmm, now that would have been a better angle for Nick. Nick as call-boy.....

brimike

^^^ I definitely would have preferred THAT story. LOL!

zyona

Mason
Nov 9 2008, 10:31 PM

The hilarious and talented Jamey Giddens wrote it.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Well, considering he's on drugs and is mentally ill and killed to protect someone he cares about...I don't see him being written into a corner so not agreeing with this LOL.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 01:41 AM
Well, considering he's on drugs and is mentally ill and killed to protect someone he cares about...I don't see him being written into a corner so not agreeing with this LOL.
I think, though, Tim, the fear is the writing is not going to live up to the possibilities. It could be a brilliant story if handled correctly, but, I mean, come on. When was the last time you saw "brilliant" and "Higley" connected? I can't speak for Whitesell. Was he ever brilliant?
This story screams for Jessica or Marie. Well, maybe Sami will run into Marie at the convent. Wait. Marie didn't stay a nun, did she? Or did she? I lost track.

brimike

I enjoyed Whitesell when his camp factor was tempered by Lorraine Broderick's warmth and compassion on One Life to Live. But without someone to soften him, he can be a little cliche. Just my personal opinion. He's by no means untalented, and I certainly wouldn't use the h-word with him. He just tends to fall back on the same old, same old when it comes to soaps, and doesn't really think outside the box... and things can get dark and a little cold-hearted.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

mason, you and i are in complete agreement. this just isn't nick. i'm sorry, but i can't suspend reality enough to believe that a few painkillers is going to make a person fall in love with a stranger, then kill for them while letting innocent people take the fall. that just doesn't compute with me. previews for tomorrow's show have nick basically telling hope to leave it alone since they've already arrested nicole. that isn't nick, and no amount of seeing him pop some painkillers is going to convince me that nick would allow an innocent person to take the fall for his deeds, then revel in the fact that they're going down while he's saved from suspicion.

like the writer said, maybe, MAYBE i could have bought this if chelsea were the girl involved in the mess, not melanie. the fact that he is this nuts over melanie can't be attributed to the painkillers either. people that are addicted to drugs don't act like themselves, it's true, but they do crazy things to feed their habit. for example, an otherwise honest person will lie and steal to get their pills or whatever drug they choose. nick falling in love with melanie so obssesively, which has led to his other crimes, just doesn't make sense in the context of him being addicted to drugs, unless of course, she was the person supplying him with the drugs. we know she isn't, so the idea that the pills are causing him to do these things for melanie is both ridiculous and outrageous.

in short, nick being addicted to pain killers IS NOT EQUAL to nick being obsessed with melanie and killing for her.
Edited by luvpumpkns, Nov 10 2008, 12:32 PM.

brimike

You bring up a GREAT point, pumpkns. Any drug addiction is, at its core, an extremely self-serving, self-centered disease. It doesn't cause you to do "selfless" things. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right.

That's IF they're even doing an addiction story. We still don't have a clue.

Mason
Member Avatar

luvpumpkns
Nov 10 2008, 12:28 PM
mason, you and i are in complete agreement. this just isn't nick. i'm sorry, but i can't suspend reality enough to believe that a few painkillers is going to make a person fall in love with a stranger, then kill for them while letting innocent people take the fall. that just doesn't compute with me. previews for tomorrow's show have nick basically telling hope to leave it alone since they've already arrested nicole. that isn't nick, and no amount of seeing him pop some painkillers is going to convince me that nick would allow an innocent person to take the fall for his deeds, then revel in the fact that they're going down while he's saved from suspicion.

like the writer said, maybe, MAYBE i could have bought this if chelsea were the girl involved in the mess, not melanie. the fact that he is this nuts over melanie can't be attributed to the painkillers either. people that are addicted to drugs don't act like themselves, it's true, but they do crazy things to feed their habit. for example, an otherwise honest person will lie and steal to get their pills or whatever drug they choose. nick falling in love with melanie so obssesively, which has led to his other crimes, just doesn't make sense in the context of him being addicted to drugs, unless of course, she was the person supplying him with the drugs. we know she isn't, so the idea that the pills are causing him to do these things for melanie is both ridiculous and outrageous.

in short, nick being addicted to pain killers IS NOT EQUAL to nick being obsessed with melanie and killing for her.
That's exactly the same major problem (and I have many) with this story.

Sure, being hopped up on painkillers can make you do some crazy things, but it doesn't change who you are as a person. Maybe Nick, high on drugs, would kill Trent. But he wouldn't let someone else go down for it.

dooldooldool

Well. I don't think this is an "addiction" story. It's a multiple personality storyline. The drugs "trigger" something. And thanks to erratic writing through the months, they can probably dig out several bits of "Nick Weirdness" to show his mental illness. Heck, all the way back to the weirdness of Nick's Touch The Sky Las Vegas shenanigans.

The Jessica storyline was 25 years ago. Much much more is known about mental illness these days.

Sadly, both of the "Maries" are dead, as is Quinn Redeker, so no grandparental units are in sight. I don't think Jean Bruce Scott and Scott Palmer are still "in the business", but it would be great to have Nick's parents back on the scene.

If they're not available, please no recasting or stuntcasting. Just use the stray Hortons (Maggie, MackMickey, Julie, Doug, Hope)....

Of course, they can't use too many old Jessica clips anyway, as Chris Kositchek was a major player in the Josh/Jessica storyline. Hmmm, then again, maybe we can morph Josh Taylor back into Chris now that fakeRoman was passed by for Commissioner.....

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

"Both Marie's" are not dead. The last actress to play Marie, Lanna Saunders, is dead but Marie Cheatham is very much alive. Quinn Redeker is is not dead either, he is alive and kicking.

As for Jean Bruce Scott, she had a recurring role on PC up until it ended.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

dooldooldool
Nov 11 2008, 03:07 AM
Well. I don't think this is an "addiction" story. It's a multiple personality storyline. The drugs "trigger" something. And thanks to erratic writing through the months, they can probably dig out several bits of "Nick Weirdness" to show his mental illness. Heck, all the way back to the weirdness of Nick's Touch The Sky Las Vegas shenanigans.

The Jessica storyline was 25 years ago. Much much more is known about mental illness these days.

Sadly, both of the "Maries" are dead, as is Quinn Redeker, so no grandparental units are in sight. I don't think Jean Bruce Scott and Scott Palmer are still "in the business", but it would be great to have Nick's parents back on the scene.

If they're not available, please no recasting or stuntcasting. Just use the stray Hortons (Maggie, MackMickey, Julie, Doug, Hope)....

Of course, they can't use too many old Jessica clips anyway, as Chris Kositchek was a major player in the Josh/Jessica storyline. Hmmm, then again, maybe we can morph Josh Taylor back into Chris now that fakeRoman was passed by for Commissioner.....
The original Marie, Maree Cheatam isn't dead.
You, know, back in the awful TTS story, Nick was in that explosion with a head injury and that too could play into his strange behavior. That plus all the other things going on with him.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

ArizonaDaze
Nov 11 2008, 12:59 PM

You, know, back in the awful TTS story, Nick was in that explosion with a head injury and that too could play into his strange behavior. That plus all the other things going on with him.
You know one thing I thought was a fantastic touch by the writing team (hang on, don't ignore me yet, I mean it!) was when Bo's pancreas story started off, they referenced that "blink and you miss it" motorcycle accident the summer before Bo was in (the writers had to explain PR's real injuries) stating it kickstarted it. Maybe they will mention the head concussion.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

^ I won't hold my breath, but they should!

Nicole Walker

This story is a hot mess.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply