Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of November 10th
Topic Started: Nov 10 2008, 09:43 AM (6,130 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I forgot about the Sami/Rafe stuff. It was pretty bad. The acting wasn't good at all.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

LOL, I half listened while typing. I really didn't see anything new except the Nick reveal. I guess this might be a good week to go to a convention!

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Although the ending was good, there was practically no build up. I watched the entire eppy in 15 minutes after FF nearly every scene at some point. Galen Gering is just dreadful so far, hopefully Eric isn't as bad when he eventually airs. Sami/EJ/Nicole/Melanie all need a major break, they are on ALL the damn time.

I have been hearing raves about Richard Culliton's writing. If today's eppy was any indication I don't like his writing at all. Although that may not be his fault with Dudley Higgs at the helm.

Mason
Member Avatar

Kirk
Nov 10 2008, 10:39 PM
I have been hearing raves about Richard Culliton's writing. If today's eppy was any indication I don't like his writing at all. Although that may not be his fault with Dudley Higgs at the helm.
LOL! What a great new name!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow...I think I will just post my thoughts and step out of this thread. Seriously, I could barely read through this thread.

I felt today was much better then Thursday and Friday, which dragged a bit.

I think Galen is doing a great job and I liked his banter with Sami. It's cute, lighthearted, and so needed on this show at this time. It's classic Sami and I just like the whole guy trying to watch the game angle. I thought the dialogue was sharp and witty and it didn't feel like filler. You felt a building of a relationship.

EJ/Nicole was somewhat rehash but was important in that they discussed their relationship and where they should go from here. I loved EJ mentioning how he understood Nicole wanting to kill and how he felt she knew she was pregnant in that moment. I saw the old EJ a bit there and I just loved their scenes. I enjoy them so much together and both were written so very in character today. The writing for EJ has improved alot for me in the last few episodes and the writing for Nicole continues to be one of the strongest points of the show for me. Good acting too and I loved the lighting of the scene.

Bo and Hope were good. I like that we got to see them putting their heads together. This is what Peter Reckell talked about and loved. The fact that the police are working together and piecing things together. It's so realistic and I had to laugh about how Hope was making Bo look bad at times LOL. I loved their flirting and commissioner talk. Classic Bope stuff.

Nick/Melanie was very creepy and I loved the music, feel and tone of the scenes. Molly Burnett and Blake Berris were great and the reveal at the end was very good. They brought out the old SSK music and I like that Nick killed to protect Melanie. You could tell from the way Nick was acting when he killed Trent that more was going on in his head and that he is just a mess right now. The gifts were creepy too and when he took her hand and said he would do anything for her, I got chills. Good ending today.

As I said, if they don't cut down on Melanie after sweeps, then I will be pissed. However, she is part of the major sweeps story and the story is coming to an end. She's only been airing like this for 3 weeks. It's not like last year with Sami, EJ, etc. EJ's been overexposed since day one and never has been backburnered. The vets were on everyday from January-March and no one complained about overexposure then either. I know they are vets but it goes both ways. The balance needs improvement but Melanie is needed right now for this sweeps period so I, personally, can't fault the show for that. Nicole was off a day last week and, again, her story is big in sweeps too. These things ebb and flow. I can understand the frustration but it's not like they are just putting Melanie and Nicole on for no reason. The story is moving every day so they are needed. If it doesn't stop after sweeps, then I will join in the bash parade.

Anyway, good episode today and a solid start to the week.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I wish that I still had some optimism when it comes to Days........

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^LOL is it really that hard?

I mean, I know I'm annoying with m optimism (so much so I'm sure people cringe and roll their eyes everytime they read my posts LOL) but there has to be something one enjoys when watching a show because it doesn't make sense to watch it otherwise. I mean, even if the writer is trash and the show is trash, there has to be one thing that is enjoyable to you if your still watching, even if it's an actor's hair LOL.

I guess I'm just weird. I just can't be critical of any of these soaps anymore. I used to be critical of other soaps but I can't be that way anymore for them either. I just want to enjoy them. They aren't what they used to be but nothing is. That doesn't mean I like everything but it makes it easier to just relax and escape for a few hours a day.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 10 2008, 11:09 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

I feel like I have much optimism towards Days and today, aside from some EJ/Nicole stuff, was poor.

And PR, I usually appreciate your positive spin, but I totally disagree that Sami and Rafe banter was sharp or witty. Sami was acting like a total child, whining, being obnoxious and totally irritating (singing camp songs while banging a plunger? The "I want my daddy" line?). I thought Rafe did okay aside from the taking her clothes angle. If Sami had any spunk, she would have marched out there with the shower curtain wrapped around her and taken her clothes back. I like cute banter, but this was not it.

And I agree that if a show holds no fun for you, why bother watching it, so I try to enjoy my soaps, but I do realize that some days just aren't as good as other days. I look forward to Nicole out of prison, I look forward to Brady, I look forward to Nick being revealed, etc. So I like my soap, I do feel it is okay to call it crap when I don't like it.
Edited by Alligato, Nov 10 2008, 11:14 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I think she would've marched out there, Alligato, if she had not been pregnant. She didn't want him to see her baby bump.

The "I want my daddy" line was too much but her singing and screaming wasn't. Sami is childish and I could see her doing something like that.

Mason
Member Avatar

I always hated when Sami was written like a 6 year old. From what I've read, it sounds like she was today.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Sami was totally obnoxious and childish today and not in the way that you want Sami to be written when written true to character. What we saw today was not acceptable for Sami. This was something I would expect Melanie to behave, not 31 year old woman.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I was sleeping for the first half hour of today's show, so I only caught the second half. It wasn't anything great or to write home about. But I continue to enjoy the show day to day. I don't feel like I'm watching out of committment and then not paying attention like I was for all of spring and summer.

I don't know if it's the writing for the character or Galen Gerring's inability to act away from one character he's played for several years, but I feel that we are watching Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald in Salem and no one else. I don't understand the point of even creating this new Rafe character. DAYS should've just bought the rights to the Luis character and had it that he was transferred to Salem because that's what I'm seeing now. Sami is being protected by Luis.

I can't comment on whether they have chemistry or not because I've only seen one episode with them together, missed the other one, and now, Sami's been stuck in the bathroom for two episodes. So I don't know.

I understand why Sami didn't want to come out of the bathroom though. She doesn't want anyone knowing she's pregnant and with her being in only a towel, Rafe would surely notice. But the way they had her screaming at him and acting like she was an eleven year old girl who is not allowed to go to the mall with her friends and is throwing a temper tantrum inside the bathroom. That's how she came off today. And that's not good.

EJ and Nicole, same scenes, different day.

Okay. I don't get it. Bo and Hope don't have a real story, but they're thrown into everyone's storylines because of their work. Marlena doesn't have a real storyline, but we can't see her at the hospital? Steve and Kayla don't have real storylines, but we can't see them doing their work? i know Steve is going to be getting involved soon, but where have they been? There have been several scenes at the hospital that the writers could've incorporated Kayla and Marlena into scenes. Have Kayla see Chelsea upset when she leaves from a visit with Kate and Kayla comforts her niece. It's not hard, writers!

I can't wait for this murder mystery to wrap up. Making Nick the killer was nothing but shock value and you can tell from the rushed pace this past 2 weeks. All of a sudden, Nick's a creepy psycho. And before anyone comes at me with the claim that Nick's been acting weird for months. Weird, yes. Psychopathic creepy stalker, no.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Nov 10 2008, 11:49 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Nov 10 2008, 11:34 PM
Okay. I don't get it. Bo and Hope don't have a real story, but they're thrown into everyone's storylines because of their work. Marlena doesn't have a real storyline, but we can't see her at the hospital? Steve and Kayla don't have real storylines, but we can't see them doing their work? i know Steve is going to be getting involved soon, but where have they been? There have been several scenes at the hospital that the writers could've incorporated Kayla and Marlena into scenes. Have Kayla see Chelsea upset when she leaves from a visit with Kate and Kayla comforts her daughter. It's not hard, writers!

GREAT point.

I've said for so long now that I hate that Marlena is a psychiatrist yet that angle never gets used. It's always about John or Sami all the time. I feel like it's 2000-2003 Marlena again where her sole purpose to be onscreen is John or her children. Use her as a psychiatrist. Same goes for Kayla and Steve. Sure, they are going to be using them coming up but the misuse of them the past few weeks I don't get at all. Same goes for Tony. They are well under guarantee. Use them like you are Bo and Hope. They did that a bit with Tony last week but do it more. Have Tony be EJ's confidante. That makes more sense then his going to Stefano all the time.

I think it's simple. Dena loves Bo and Hope and even when she has nothing for them, she gives them something. Hell, every writer seems to. That is why I think these two will never be let go. They are the only truly safe cast members IMO. The show seems to love them. Even when they have no story, they get airtime.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:40 PM

I've said for so long now that I hate that Marlena is a psychiatrist yet that angle never gets used. It's always about John or Sami all the time. I feel like it's 2000-2003 Marlena again where her sole purpose to be onscreen is John or her children. Use her as a psychiatrist. Same goes for Kayla and Steve. Sure, they are going to be using them coming up but the misuse of them the past few weeks I don't get at all. Same goes for Tony. They are well under guarantee. Use them like you are Bo and Hope. They did that a bit with Tony last week but do it more. Have Tony be EJ's confidante. That makes more sense then his going to Stefano all the time.
I never understood why Marlena continues to practice when she's not used when you would expect her but then other times you get a WTF moment and Victor's suddenly her patient. I remember being furious when NickNotSteve went to her and asked for help and they wrote her being the most indifferent person IN TOWN who shrugged and said she was too busy to take on new patients. I would have thought having Marlena (who should know better then anyone how important it is to unlock memories and recover one's identity) would be one of the FIRST things they would do when Steve returned.

We also got a random moment of Daniel going to Marlena which was basically asking her for advice (not help). I would think she'd be the first person who could be assigned to take help Nick as well (after all, he was the one who ran tests to let her know her precious John was still alive) plus it would give her something else to do then just worry about John.

And like Drew said, I also felt another potential scene was add another episode of Philip/Stephanie (and you know, get rid of one of the Philip/Melanie scenes) where she is drunk and let Steve catch Philip taking her home. That? Would have been as hilarious as him meeting Jeremy, in fact, probably better because everyone hated Jeremy.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Nov 10 2008, 11:47 PM
PhoenixRising05

I never understood why Marlena continues to practice when she's not used when you would expect her but then other times you get a WTF moment and Victor's suddenly her patient. I remember being furious when NickNotSteve went to her and asked for help and they wrote her being the most indifferent person IN TOWN who shrugged and said she was too busy to take on new patients. I would have thought having Marlena (who should know better then anyone how important it is to unlock memories and recover one's identity) would be one of the FIRST things they would do when Steve returned.

We also got a random moment of Daniel going to Marlena which was basically asking her for advice (not help). I would think she'd be the first person who could be assigned to take help Nick as well (after all, he was the one who ran tests to let her know her precious John was still alive) plus it would give her something else to do then just worry about John.

And like Drew said, I also felt another potential scene was add another episode of Philip/Stephanie (and you know, get rid of one of the Philip/Melanie scenes) where she is drunk and let Steve catch Philip taking her home. That? Would have been as hilarious as him meeting Jeremy, in fact, probably better because everyone hated Jeremy.
Good points.

I agree about Philip/Stephanie. That would've done alot of good.

I remember that Marlena/Steve scene. That was from Beth Milstein's tenure, which was one of the few times in recent memory Marlena had her own sort of story going on that involved her career. I couldn't believe they had her treat Steve like that, particularly since Marlena was so focused on her career at that point.

I really hate that they dropped the ball on Victor/Marlena. That had so much potential. It would've fit well with the dock wars story in a Soprano's like way.

Daniel/Marlena felt like nothing but I did like the fact that they used Marlena in that way. That is who they should be using her now.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:51 PM
Tripp
Nov 10 2008, 11:47 PM
PhoenixRising05

Good points.

I agree about Philip/Stephanie. That would've done alot of good.

I remember that Marlena/Steve scene. That was from Beth Milstein's tenure, which was one of the few times in recent memory Marlena had her own sort of story going on that involved her career. I couldn't believe they had her treat Steve like that, particularly since Marlena was so focused on her career at that point.

I really hate that they dropped the ball on Victor/Marlena. That had so much potential. It would've fit well with the dock wars story in a Soprano's like way.

Daniel/Marlena felt like nothing but I did like the fact that they used Marlena in that way. That is who they should be using her now.
re: Dan/Marlena. I'm probably being too hard on that scene given you are right and that's how she was supposed to be used and it was during the time Victor inexplicably needed counseling. I guess though it was infuriating because a) it was using Marlena to push Chan b) Daniel was suddenly saying he was in love with Chelsea even though up to 3 episodes earlier he showed now signs of even liking her c) it seemed like Marlena should have picked up on Dan's complex with sick women d) her advice was pretty cliche'd and e) I hated his corduroy jacket. (I know that has nothing to do with it but it was so hideous).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Forgot to mention...I love that the flashback to the murder was black and white. It fit well with the murder and gave it the film noir feel. I like that and hope Days continues to use it when relevant.

Nicole Walker

I would really like to see Nicole out of jail. I'm tired of seeing her talk to EJ thru the bars. LOL.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

To clarify my earlier post the optimism I did have took a severe beating after reading the most recent Nicole spoilers........

Kenny
Member Avatar

Rhiannon, my love! I love your David Cook banner! *swoon*

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply