Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Weekly Discussion; For the week of November 10th
Topic Started: Nov 10 2008, 09:43 AM (6,007 Views)
Alligato
Member Avatar

Rhiannon
Nov 11 2008, 03:06 AM
To clarify my earlier post the optimism I did have took a severe beating after reading the most recent Nicole spoilers........
You know, Rhiannon, after reading the spoilers and watching yesterdays show, it really made me hate the whole scene too. Ari is doing a wonderful job transitioning from selfish bitch to selfish bitch who is falling in love with her baby and becoming protective, but knowing the result, it makes me hate the story.

I know soaps are supposed to do this, but they are laying it on so thick and I hate that it has to happen to Nicole of all people. She is revelling and in love, and the other is being a snobby, childish bitch who hasn't given much thought to her baby (other than her own stupid agenda of leaving one child in the care of the demon man to protect the other - whatever).

Just frustrating...and not in a good way. If it weren't for Ari, I would have to skip it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nicole Walker

^I agree. I'm just so sad cause I know this will devastate Nicole.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 11 2008, 06:26 AM
Rhiannon, my love! I love your David Cook banner! *swoon*
Ditto on the banner. Can't wait for the album to come out next week.

So last night I was online chatting with a friend from a Days group I use to belong to. I decided to turn on the show for the first time in 6 months to try and get through a full episode while I was chatting with her. Seems like I picked a bad day to do this. Anyway, some thoughts and comments:

*Everytime I saw Melanie I thought it was just a blonde Chelsea. The actress has some of the same mannerisms and looks so much like Rachel Melvin. The character just seems like a carbon copy. It was actually driving me crazy through out the show. Although I did like the flashback of the murder being in black and white. Classic murder mystery feel to it. But then again not really a character's death I care about.

*Okay how old is Nick suppose to be. I could have sworn when he came on the show he was a college graduate which would put him around 21-22. So now he would be about 24-25 and I just found it odd he was so interested in an 18 year old. Age differences on television or real life don't bother me. But there was just something off about this pairing...just can't put my finger on it.

*What the hell was that with Sami and Rafe? She was giving me a headache with all her whining about getting her clothes. Sami is one of those soap opera characters that I feel like we need a good couple of months break from (but know we will never get it) and it might make her fresh again. It is at the point that I just can't find anything likeable of the character. When she was younger and always plotting on getting revenge I could find a reason to cheer for her. But now I just can't stand her.

*I do love Bo and Hope, but they are just window dressing to keep viewers happy. The last story they had was Bo's illiness and felt that was more about Chelsea. I like to see them actually working, but just sitting around an office talking about evidence gets boring after the third or so scene of it.

I so bad want to find something to get me to watch this show again on a regular basis, but there is just nothing there for me.

ericfan400

I tried to watch it today. I stop watching after the first 15 minutes. They turned Philip into a creep
Edited by ericfan400, Nov 11 2008, 02:55 PM.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Hey y'all. I'm back to watching this mess, at least for the time being and for the first time in more than a month (maybe more like six weeks or two months), and have to say I was hoping for a little bit more than this.

-I take it EJ and Nicole are together now but she's in jail because she's been mistakenly arrested for Trent's murder? OK... was there at least some sort of whodunnit with Trent's death for a while before you found out she didn't do it? I'm guessing not but just thought I'd ask. She's also pregnant with his kid, right? But he doesn't know about Sami's baby? And now they're all angsty because Nicole is insecure about him just wanting to be with her because of the kid and her wanting him to prove to her he's over Sami? OK, kind of boring, but I guess I understand that.

-I haven't read much of this thread or others yet to see where everyone is at on this, but I'm guessing I'm likely one of the few people glad to see Galen Gering showing up in Salem. I'm also guessing I am NOT one of the only people who wish he was in scenes that didn't involve Sami. I don't understand why she is pregnant or why she can't tell EJ about the baby when they already have one kid together. And if she is so scared about Stefano who in the hell is watching the twins RIGHT NOW anyway? Poor Luis Lopez-Fitzgerald... errrr Agent Hernandez... being stuck with her instead of Emily Harper as a Belle or Mimi or Carrie recast.

-Nick and Melanie FREAK ME OUT. Even if he hadn't secretly killed her dad and they weren't playing creeper music as he gives her a present and talks to her up close with a weird look on his face, the whole relationship would be a wee bit creepy to me when he's already at least 4 years older than her and the show for some reason puts her in little girl pigtails and a little girl nightgown to accent just what jailbait she is for this college professor. Also, for some reason that whole Nick stabbing Trent in the back flashback scene was accidentally hilarious to me. Maybe it just reminded me of when he killed Willow and the whole resolution of that plotpoint was Roman throwing away the hairbrush of doom that implicated Nick and Chelsea in her accidental death. Wonder why Roman can't just do that again to cover up Nick's real murder? Oh I guess now Hope is on the case and she plays it by the book so criminals actually have to go to jail now. Neat.

-Why the hell is Dr. Tan still on this show? And I see Chloe is rolling with Phillip and Lucas... which one is she having sex with these days? And why do Phillip and Melanie hate each other so much? And did Dr. Tan and Kate rekindle their love affair or is he so creepy possessive over her and her medical decisions because he's pining for what they used to have/just enjoying playing God as doctor? And why when Kate is dying from cancer is Chloe punishing Kate by droning on and on about her own medical problems? And now her kids want her to end treatment that would save her life? Poor Kate. :(

-Where in the hell are John Black, Marlena and Stefano? Looks like Marl is in tomorrow's show. Hopefully it's better.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Tuesday's show was a bad as Mondays. Sorry Pheonix. I know you think that Melanie deserves to be on constantly because she is on the big story right now, but it has been daily! And it is bad writing that this is the ONLY sweeps story so much that we must feature the same person for weeks in a row...and a new character at that? And I also don't feel like it has been since mid October - which is actually a whole month by now, but really since the summer story in France.
Anyways, that is all I have to say about that! I want another story in addition to the Melanie/Nick thing.

Sami and Rafe - still annoying that we have Sami totally acting like a 9 year old, not a 31 year old woman with kids. And Sami spouting off about EJ and Stefano...how evil he is. Whatever. He has been paying your bills, caring for your kids, providing your food, and she had no problem with it. Just stupid.
Again, surprisingly, Rafe has been the only plus in those scenes. AS looked great though.

And Nicole being mad that EJ doesn't trust her...DUH! It would have been stupid if he believed her knowing her history...and this guy has been watered down enough. Glad she is willing to leave him, but the whole first part of the episode was total rehash...and I thought that EJ was waaayyy too happy to say he is over Sami. If he saw how she was acting in the WP, I think he would agree he made a good decision.
I am so looking forward to seeing what happens with Sami's baby and what happens after EJ finds out about Nicole.

Must say I loved the Kate/Chloe and the Phillip/Lucas scenes...still don't think that Kate looks sick enough, but loved that they took her crazy nail polish off...so not Kate like. Good to see Lucas. Didn't need to have Philly and Mel interact though.
Chloe and Dr. Dan again? Where are they going with those two?

Nick is still scaring me.

I guess today wasn't so bad. Just frustrated with a few of the stories and the way some characters are acting.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

The only good thing again today was Blake's acting...

Hey melanie, get off my screen, I do not feel sorry for you and think you need to go back to Europe and stay there.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Alligato
Nov 11 2008, 03:01 PM
Tuesday's show was a bad as Mondays. Sorry Pheonix. I know you think that Melanie deserves to be on constantly because she is on the big story right now, but it has been daily! And it is bad writing that this is the ONLY sweeps story so much that we must feature the same person for weeks in a row...and a new character at that? And I also don't feel like it has been since mid October - which is actually a whole month by now, but really since the summer story in France.
Anyways, that is all I have to say about that! I want another story in addition to the Melanie/Nick thing.
Well, Melanie is not on tomorrow. Nor is Nick. I also have heard that her airtime will be tailing off around the end of the month. Doesn't mean she will be backburnered but I wouldn't expect her to be.

I have to disagree about this going on since France. She was featured at most 3 days a week and was even nonexistent for over a week in September. Even initially after Trent's murde4, she was not on everyday. That started around the third week of October and it's common for a character to be featured heavily when a story is ending. That should be expected. As long as there is a reason for the character to be featured, then it's ok in my eyes.

It's also not the only sweeps story. Nicole/EJ and Kate's illness are major sweeps stories too.

I liked today but I will comment more later. I will just let you all rip it to shreds and then put a nice, positive cap on the day. :laugh: .

cjknick
Member Avatar

Tuesday epi was like the episode from "repeat hell" it was like watching Monday's epi all over again. Special Note ... WHY can't they make Kate look actually sick? Special Special Note: They are going to have to cut that T-Shirt off of Ali man was that shirt tight. Special Special Special note - Man does Nicole look preggers now - instant big baby bump not to mention pregnancy boobs! It's weird to see Nicole with boobs!
Edited by cjknick, Nov 11 2008, 03:55 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Really the only thing that keeps my attention is the Nick stuff for the murder. As a BB fan, it's so nice to watch him be given something that really lets him show off he's a great actor. But it does come with a bittersweet feeling, I really did like/love the Mick pairing and the more I watch as Nick's creepy obsession for Melanie, the less likely Mick could come away from this. I see actually great chemistry between BB and MB and you could have given Nick a dark side w/o letting him cross some lines with Melanie so the ship can continue.

I cannot insist how much I hate Melanie and Philip. She was in pigtails earlier in the episode and though she got rid of them by the time she saw Philip later, I want to scream bloody murder at the show putting them in as a potential couple. Ugh.

I'm also angry about the Chloe scene with Kate. WTH? Why is it Chloe who gets to "pull Kate back" from the brink of death? They barely know each other. Don't get me started on Nadia's acting but that aside, why not use Kate's family members like Philip or Lucas or maybe even a great moment for Chelsea to come in (RM would have knocked that scene out of the park). The Dan/Chloe moment is also very inappropriate. It would be one thing if Dan had only Date in his history, but with Date coming after Chan, he already looks like a creep. This makes him look much worse (and I'm not a Chloe fan but I don't see her getting into her boyfriend's doctor practically right in front of them).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

The Chloe/Kate thing made sense because Chloe has been there. She's had cancer. That made the scene have wait. I think she needed an outsider's perspective and that is why Chloe fit.

As for Chloe/Dan, what was inappropriate? The fact that they ran into each other in the hall and he realized what she did and thanked her for it? There was no undertones there. It was just a moment of gratitude and and a moment where they connected. There was nothing sexual or flirty about it.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

PhoenixRising05
Nov 11 2008, 03:34 PM
The Chloe/Kate thing made sense because Chloe has been there. She's had cancer. That made the scene have wait. I think she needed an outsider's perspective and that is why Chloe fit.

As for Chloe/Dan, what was inappropriate? The fact that they ran into each other in the hall and he realized what she did and thanked her for it? There was no undertones there. It was just a moment of gratitude and and a moment where they connected. There was nothing sexual or flirty about it.
I'm sorry. But Chloe having cancer is one thing to talk to Kate when she is conscious, but Kate was "out of it" and the show missed a classic soapy opportunity to have a family member "reach out to her". I couldn't care less watching Chloe who has barely spoken to Kate to simply tell her she's been there too.

I think Chelsea would have actually been the best choice. The last time they talked Chelsea wished she were dead. Kate said she would get her wish. Then she goes unconscious and Chelsea reaches out to her grandma because she can't bear to think another family member is leaving her. Maybe she says how sorry she is and takes responsibility for some of her own decisions.

Or we could have Lucas getting into the family history of he and his mom. How he's said some pretty damning things to her in the past but he wants her to know he'll always love her and he remembers all she sacrificed to give him a good life. God, just thinking about it makes me tear up.

But instead we get Chloe? Rambling on in a monotone voice (yes, I know there were tears in her eyes but it's so ironic the girl can sing so beautifully but not show any inflection when speaking ever).

As for the discussion of Dan/Chloe, it just reminded me how Kate's cancer seems to be not about her but about others. A good umbrella story can do that, but it's not giving Kate ANYTHING but to lay there while others act around her.
Edited by Tripp, Nov 11 2008, 03:54 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^I wouldn't have minded Chelsea either but I just think with Chloe's history it was fitting and I don't think a talk with one of her son's would do it. Chloe has actually been through this. She knows what the chemo does and how to fight it. I prefer Chloe but I can see why Chelsea would fit the bill too in this scene.

I thought Nadia did better then usual. She rushed it a bit early on but in the second scene she was very natural and I felt the emotion.

I think this is very much about Kate but also about Dan as well. I think it's forcing him to confront his past and that it will have a major impact on Kate in the end because she will have evaluated her life.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 11 2008, 03:57 PM.

jane1978

Well, I know in a minority here, but Iīm totally eating up the Melanie/Nick stuff. For me, this is classic DAYS. Great music, great creapy scenes and dialogs full of hidden and double meanings. Now, when the killer was revealed the writers can fully show what creep Nick has become and BB and Molly Burnett are doing perfect job IMO.

I loved how they dressed Mel into very girly nightgown and girly makeup so she looks more vurnerable when itīs revealed she is alone with the killer. The gifts yesterday were a great addition too. For me, this is the most interesting and entertaining story this year and I love the steady buildup. As I said in my last post I think JER would be proud because this definitelly has his feel.

As for the rest, I DONīT want Mel and Philip together but they have chemistry. I saw it during their first confrontation in Melīs bedroom and I saw it again last week when Phil visited her at Maggieīs so I really donīt mind when they interact together. Rafe and Sami arenīt so bad either. Sometime itīs little overtop but itīs certainly better than her having the same whiny conversation with Lucas and EJ for an entire month. Nadia still cannot act so her big emotional monolog today wasnīt so powefull as it could be but atleast they finally found something to use her for. On the other side, itīs lucky James and Ari are so good actors so they are still able to sell this "we have another few days till Brady arrives and Nick is revealed as the killer, so WTH can they talk about" scenes. But seeing the scenes, Iīm really happy some new twists are coming soon.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jane1978
Nov 11 2008, 04:35 PM
Well, I know in a minority here, but Iīm totally eating up the Melanie/Nick stuff. For me, this is classic DAYS. Great music, great creapy scenes and dialogs full of hidden and double meanings. Now, when the killer was revealed the writers can fully show what creep Nick has become and BB and Molly Burnett are doing perfect job IMO.

I loved how they dressed Mel into very girly nightgown and girly makeup so she looks more vurnerable when itīs revealed she is alone with the killer. The gifts yesterday were a great addition too. For me, this is the most interesting and entertaining story this year and I love the steady buildup. As I said in my last post I think JER would be proud because this definitelly has his feel.

As for the rest, I DONīT want Mel and Philip together but they have chemistry. I saw it during their first confrontation in Melīs bedroom and I saw it again last week when Phil visited her at Maggieīs so I really donīt mind when they interact together. Rafe and Sami arenīt so bad either. Sometime itīs little overtop but itīs certainly better than her having the same whiny conversation with Lucas and EJ for an entire month. Nadia still cannot act so her big emotional monolog today wasnīt so powefull as it could be but atleast they finally found something to use her for. On the other side, itīs lucky James and Ari are so good actors so they are still able to sell this "we have another few days till Brady arrives and Nick is revealed as the killer, so WTH can they talk about" scenes. But seeing the scenes, Iīm really happy some new twists are coming soon.
I like the Nick/Melanie stuff (not the Philip stuff mixed in, at least let me have Nick/Philip scenes why don't they?) but like I said its bittersweet. I think there is great chemistry between Blake and Molly which is now unusuable because they have backed Nick into a (romantic) corner with her.

Also, I agree with others, Melanie has been on far too much. I really think if they just didn't let her be the center of the story. If they had introduced Melanie a few months earlier where we could have grown really fond of her, that's one thing, but I knew audiences (other then Terry) were not going to warm up in time to see her carry an entire sweeps story.

If I could firmly feel safe in knowing Philip/Melanie will never happen, then I might be able to handle their scenes, but the anvils that the show is going this way along with the stupid MF interviews (who again seemed like he was getting a hard on at the very idea of Philip and Melanie) pushing this coupling through. It bothers me twofold. Not just in the Nick area but I finally get Stephanie in Philip's circle but she's playing a goody two shoes now suddenly. That's not how I envisioned that pairing at all.

zyona

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:06 PM
^LOL is it really that hard?

I mean, I know I'm annoying with m optimism (so much so I'm sure people cringe and roll their eyes everytime they read my posts LOL) but there has to be something one enjoys when watching a show because it doesn't make sense to watch it otherwise. I mean, even if the writer is trash and the show is trash, there has to be one thing that is enjoyable to you if your still watching, even if it's an actor's hair LOL.

I guess I'm just weird. I just can't be critical of any of these soaps anymore. I used to be critical of other soaps but I can't be that way anymore for them either. I just want to enjoy them. They aren't what they used to be but nothing is. That doesn't mean I like everything but it makes it easier to just relax and escape for a few hours a day.
I admire you being positive, when majority of us can't see it because the show is becoming Melanie, Sami and Nicole show. At this point the show is off from my DVR.
Edited by zyona, Nov 11 2008, 04:52 PM.

jane1978

Tripp
Nov 11 2008, 04:47 PM
jane1978

I like the Nick/Melanie stuff (not the Philip stuff mixed in, at least let me have Nick/Philip scenes why don't they?) but like I said its bittersweet. I think there is great chemistry between Blake and Molly which is now unusuable because they have backed Nick into a (romantic) corner with her.

Also, I agree with others, Melanie has been on far too much. I really think if they just didn't let her be the center of the story. If they had introduced Melanie a few months earlier where we could have grown really fond of her, that's one thing, but I knew audiences (other then Terry) were not going to warm up in time to see her carry an entire sweeps story.

If I could firmly feel safe in knowing Philip/Melanie will never happen, then I might be able to handle their scenes, but the anvils that the show is going this way along with the stupid MF interviews (who again seemed like he was getting a hard on at the very idea of Philip and Melanie) pushing this coupling through. It bothers me twofold. Not just in the Nick area but I finally get Stephanie in Philip's circle but she's playing a goody two shoes now suddenly. That's not how I envisioned that pairing at all.
I really donīt understand this Melanie is on too much argument. Leading story usually is on daily, or atleast should be. When Marlena was a SK she was on every day too. Now, Iīm not daring to compare DH and Molly Burnett/Blake Berris but itīs the same kind of story. Itīs not about the characters, itīs about the plot. Itīs about what happens next. The writers would be crazy expext so many people care about Melanie, but they believe people will care about the story.

I think it all goes back to JERīs rules of writing Gary Tomlin definitely seems to follow. For some reason Tomlin believes the story is strong enough to lead the sweeps and if he is right people who tune in for that story would be disappointed if it wasnīt on. If the story was about the vets they could never afford to show them this much and people would grumble the characters arenīt on enough to get involved in the story. BB adn MB are cheap so they can use them as much as is needed. And for me, one of the reason why I enjoy the story so much is the steady build up. Each day there is something what makes me want more. And Iīm spoiler addict and I already know what will happen.
Edited by jane1978, Nov 11 2008, 05:16 PM.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

jane1978
Nov 11 2008, 05:13 PM
Tripp
Nov 11 2008, 04:47 PM
jane1978

I really donīt understand this Melanie is on too much argument. Leading story usually is on daily, or atleast should be. When Marlena was a SK she was on every day too. Now, Iīm not daring to compare DH and Molly Burnett/Blake Berris but itīs the same kind of story. Itīs not about the characters, itīs about the plot. Itīs about what happens next. The writers would be crazy expext so many people care about Melanie, but they believe people will care about the story.

I think it all goes back to JERīs rules of writing Gary Tomlin definitely seems to follow. For some reason Tomlin believes the story is strong enough to lead the sweeps and if he is right people who tune in for that story would be disappointed if it wasnīt on. If the story was about the vets they could never afford to show this much and people would grumble the characters arenīt on enough to get involved in the story. BB adn MB are cheap so they can use them as much as is needed. And for me, one the reason why I enjoy the story so much is the steady build up. Each day there is something what makes me want more. And Iīm spoiler addict and I already knows what will happen.
See, I hated seeing Marlena on everyday as well. Honestly I'm scared to see Nick on everyday. I love my favorites but I know the soap world can't exist revolving around one character/couple and they have to give a little break from to time.

I agree that PR is right that now the Trent story is THE STORY for sweeps, we are stuck with Melanie featured so much. I also hope he's right that when sweeps is over, they will dial back MB's airtime. Spoilers suggest otherwise but they can be quite misleading so I'm still hoping that's the case. There is no reason to have Melanie on for 15 days straight after Nick is arrested. (Bless my boy's heart).

Mason

I agree that, in theory, when a person plays a large part in a major storyline, that person is going to be seen a lot. However, such a big story shouldn't revolve around a character that we only just met a few months ago. That's just idiotic and is a surefire way of alienating viewers, and this case is no exception.

ericfan400

i lasted about 15 minutes today. the only thing that i like was Rafe and Sami going at it
Edited by ericfan400, Nov 11 2008, 05:48 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply