Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Michael Fairman interviews; part 2
Topic Started: Nov 10 2008, 07:08 PM (928 Views)
Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/article/articleItem.cfm?cms_article_id=44
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daisysmommy

Dang-- no punches pulled by Fairman-- me likey!

Alligato
Member Avatar

Thanks for sharing.
I love how Stephen Nichols said that he would rather be written off than to not exist in a storyline. I was thinking the same thing....kind of hoping they would write off MBE and SN just so I can stop feeling so bad that their story is non existant. I can see how that would be frustrating.

So Sami and EJ aren't going to have any scenes until her WP is over? And JS hinted at a Rafe/Sami pairing? Glad he seems excited to be working opposite EM. Can wait to see those two hotties go head to head.

Wonder what is up for Bo and his quirky story.
thanks for sharing!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Wow...the cast does seem to like what is going on right now. Peter seems particularly excited. I know someone is going to say they always say that or something but IMO you could feel how energized they are by what is going on. Joe, shockingly, seems happy. I didn't think he would be and Thaoo came off pretty well here. Very classy, as did LeAnn, Mary Beth, and Stephen. They all still seem so committed. Hopefully, they see more action soon.

Good interviews. Poor Shawn Christian so wants to be liked. You can tell he reads the boards. He's so apologetic LOL. I can't wait to see the material everyone keeps raving about in regards to Kate's story and I can't wait for this quirky story for Bo. Jay was hilarious too. Fairman produces good stuff. I hope he has more interviews to come.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 10 2008, 11:20 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 10:57 PM
Wow...the cast does seem to like what is going on right now. Peter seems particularly excited. I know someone is going to say that always say that or something but IMO you could feel how energized they are by what is going on. Joe, shockingly, seems happy. I didn't think he would be and Thaoo came off pretty well here. Very classy, as did LeAnn, Mary Beth, and Stephen. They all still seem so committed. Hopefully, they see more action soon.

Good interviews. Poor Shawn Christian so wants to be liked. You can tell he reads the boards. He's so apologetic LOL. I can't wait to see the material everyone keeps raving about in regards to Kate's story and I can't wait for this quirky story for Bo. Jay was hilarious too. Fairman produces good stuff. I hope he has more interviews to come.
What were you watching? You thought Thaao came off pretty well? He looked bored as hell when discussing his storyline, or lack there of as did Leann Hunley.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

DrewHamilton
Nov 10 2008, 11:20 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 10:57 PM
Wow...the cast does seem to like what is going on right now. Peter seems particularly excited. I know someone is going to say that always say that or something but IMO you could feel how energized they are by what is going on. Joe, shockingly, seems happy. I didn't think he would be and Thaoo came off pretty well here. Very classy, as did LeAnn, Mary Beth, and Stephen. They all still seem so committed. Hopefully, they see more action soon.

What were you watching? You thought Thaao came off pretty well? He looked bored as hell when discussing his storyline, or lack there of as did Leann Hunley.
I'm talking about in the actual text interviews.

He explained himself a bit more. The text one had more then the video one. You could tell he was pissed and bored but he made it known that he was dedicated to the show and that he felt the new EP was good, I thought that came off classy.

Mason

Stephen and Mary Beth are both very talented actors, but I'm beginning to wish the show would get rid of Steve and Kayla, if they're not going to use them. I'm sure the money being allocated to SN and MBE could be spent elsewhere.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

You know, I love them and want them to stay but I think it may be for the best. They do nothing for the numbers and haven't since joining. Many still haven't warmed to them. I guess they are expendable and if the show needs to cut some big money, they make the most sense. I know they took a cut when they returned but they still probably do well.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I still think there is good potential for them. Way more then Tony or Anna right now who though I like really have nothing to do and since Tony isn't Andre, his scenes just make Stefano's scenes more comical.

I believe there is a lot more for Steve and Kayla to do. Some of their potential puts them more in supporting players in a story (such as obstacles to Stephanie/Philip or maybe Steve can be someone to try to help Nick since he knows about overcoming deeds done while not one's self). I also would like Kayla to be featured more in the doctor role.

Honestly I'm afraid at this point all the vets are going to wind up in supporting roles forever. What stories can Bo/Hope, and Jarlena (after they get past Jawn) do that's new for them? We can have investigation of crimes but it's more about the bad guys these days (dimera) and the good guys catching up to them. Steve and Kayla actually could handle a bit more since Kayla can have some stranger pop up from her past or maybe try to explain how Steve was taken from her (God forbid they should get into that).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Tripp
Nov 10 2008, 11:40 PM
I still think there is good potential for them. Way more then Tony or Anna right now who though I like really have nothing to do and since Tony isn't Andre, his scenes just make Stefano's scenes more comical.

I believe there is a lot more for Steve and Kayla to do. Some of their potential puts them more in supporting players in a story (such as obstacles to Stephanie/Philip or maybe Steve can be someone to try to help Nick since he knows about overcoming deeds done while not one's self). I also would like Kayla to be featured more in the doctor role.

Honestly I'm afraid at this point all the vets are going to wind up in supporting roles forever. What stories can Bo/Hope, and Jarlena (after they get past Jawn) do that's new for them? We can have investigation of crimes but it's more about the bad guys these days (dimera) and the good guys catching up to them. Steve and Kayla actually could handle a bit more since Kayla can have some stranger pop up from her past or maybe try to explain how Steve was taken from her (God forbid they should get into that).
Oh, I agree. I just think the fact that so many current fans haven't warmed to them makes them more expendable.

There is loads of potential and I agree that it's so much more easier to produce story for Steve and Kayla then Bo and Hope. Actually, I think J&M with John being a clean slate have more avenues now as well.

Ives
Member Avatar

I agree with the above posts that there is A LOT of storyline potential for Steve and Kayla given they have anywhere from 14-16 basically unexplained years to work with (and supposedly much of Steve's time was with the Dimeras). And they both have numerous ties through family and friendships. Geez, Kayla is Chief of Staff and Steve is a P.I. There is material even with that. As for their popularity with fans, I frequent a lot of different boards and I think that they are generally well received and the "newer" viewers feel as connected to them as they would any other characters brought on in the last few years and they stilll maintain a lot of support from longer time viewers who saw their first run.

What I loved about SN and MBE's interview is how they both stress how much effort and thought much they put into portraying their characters and how they want to deliver for the audience. MB: Stephen and I love working together, and we love this show. We will work our scenes and try to find the rhythm, and make something up out of nothing much. I am just saying anything they give us, even simple things. We want to work and deliver the best to our audience, and to Patch and Kayla fans. I love that they really love and care about their characters. While Dena thought no discussion or follow up was necessary after Kayla found Steve in bed with Ava, SN and MBE both lobbied hard to get some type of resolution or discussion - MBE specifically said in a soap mag interview that some explanation or reaction from Kayla was owed to the fans. Not so that things could be all sunshine and roses because I am sure they would have loved some angst and conflict between S&K as they dealt with the whole Ava situation, Pop's death, Joe's early birth, etc.

And luckily their commitment to their characters is backed by real talent. IMO, Stephen Nichols has some of the best range of any actor on the show - he can make you laugh at Steve's humor in one scene and then in the next bring on the deep angst and pain unlike many male actors can do. I find MBE to have a naturalness about her that really draws me into her scenes - and she can totally go toe to toe with SN in portraying the deep emotional stuff.

And this is not necessarily related to SN and MBE's viability on Days, but I have to say that they really have that same commitment to their fans. Just in the last couple of years since they have come back to Days, they have done at least 4 four Steve and Kayla specific big fan events as well as regularly showing up at the general Days events. When fans communicate about aspects of S&K history, they really do try to incorporate those things in. For example, SN knew how a lot of fans were disappointed about the lack of fallout from the Ava storyline so as soon as they taped their hard-fought-for scenes, he let the fans know that something would be coming. Or they knew that a number (but not all) of S&K fans had faithfully been on the "Baby Boy Johnson" bandwagon since their return so when baby Joe was born, Stephen made sure to call him "Baby Boy Johnson" in one initial scene as a shout out to those fans. Yellow Roses was probably the most symbolic thing in S&K's relationship in the first run and Steve used to surprise Kayla with them all of the time - for a long time fans had been reminding SN that Steve had not given any yellow roses to Kayla so when they had the "Kayla ovulating" scenes earlier this year and Steve was supposed to give her roses, SN told the prop department to make sure they were yellow roses and lots of them. I completely acknowledge that these examples do not have any real impact on the show, but I think they demonstrate small ways in which SN and MBE do try to connect with their fans.

So sorry this was a bit of a gushing post but I am not feeling very happy with where I sense TPTB may be going with S&K and I just wanted to express some love. Finally, gotta admire Fairman's great taste with this quote about S&K and SN & MBE because ITA.

As Patch and Kayla perhaps no super couple on “DAYS” history has ever packed the emotional wallop of these two characters road to love. Their portrayers stick together through thick and then to give the audience what they want to see.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Ives
Nov 11 2008, 01:11 AM
I agree with the above posts that there is A LOT of storyline potential for Steve and Kayla given they have anywhere from 14-16 basically unexplained years to work with (and supposedly much of Steve's time was with the Dimeras). And they both have numerous ties through family and friendships. Geez, Kayla is Chief of Staff and Steve is a P.I. There is material even with that. As for their popularity with fans, I frequent a lot of different boards and I think that they are generally well received and the "newer" viewers feel as connected to them as they would any other characters brought on in the last few years and they stilll maintain a lot of support from longer time viewers who saw their first run.

What I loved about SN and MBE's interview is how they both stress how much effort and thought much they put into portraying their characters and how they want to deliver for the audience. MB: Stephen and I love working together, and we love this show. We will work our scenes and try to find the rhythm, and make something up out of nothing much. I am just saying anything they give us, even simple things. We want to work and deliver the best to our audience, and to Patch and Kayla fans. I love that they really love and care about their characters. While Dena thought no discussion or follow up was necessary after Kayla found Steve in bed with Ava, SN and MBE both lobbied hard to get some type of resolution or discussion - MBE specifically said in a soap mag interview that some explanation or reaction from Kayla was owed to the fans. Not so that things could be all sunshine and roses because I am sure they would have loved some angst and conflict between S&K as they dealt with the whole Ava situation, Pop's death, Joe's early birth, etc.

And luckily their commitment to their characters is backed by real talent. IMO, Stephen Nichols has some of the best range of any actor on the show - he can make you laugh at Steve's humor in one scene and then in the next bring on the deep angst and pain unlike many male actors can do. I find MBE to have a naturalness about her that really draws me into her scenes - and she can totally go toe to toe with SN in portraying the deep emotional stuff.

And this is not necessarily related to SN and MBE's viability on Days, but I have to say that they really have that same commitment to their fans. Just in the last couple of years since they have come back to Days, they have done at least 4 four Steve and Kayla specific big fan events as well as regularly showing up at the general Days events. When fans communicate about aspects of S&K history, they really do try to incorporate those things in. For example, SN knew how a lot of fans were disappointed about the lack of fallout from the Ava storyline so as soon as they taped their hard-fought-for scenes, he let the fans know that something would be coming. Or they knew that a number (but not all) of S&K fans had faithfully been on the "Baby Boy Johnson" bandwagon since their return so when baby Joe was born, Stephen made sure to call him "Baby Boy Johnson" in one initial scene as a shout out to those fans. Yellow Roses was probably the most symbolic thing in S&K's relationship in the first run and Steve used to surprise Kayla with them all of the time - for a long time fans had been reminding SN that Steve had not given any yellow roses to Kayla so when they had the "Kayla ovulating" scenes earlier this year and Steve was supposed to give her roses, SN told the prop department to make sure they were yellow roses and lots of them. I completely acknowledge that these examples do not have any real impact on the show, but I think they demonstrate small ways in which SN and MBE do try to connect with their fans.

So sorry this was a bit of a gushing post but I am not feeling very happy with where I sense TPTB may be going with S&K and I just wanted to express some love. Finally, gotta admire Fairman's great taste with this quote about S&K and SN & MBE because ITA.

As Patch and Kayla perhaps no super couple on “DAYS” history has ever packed the emotional wallop of these two characters road to love. Their portrayers stick together through thick and then to give the audience what they want to see.
I totally agree with you Ives. Steve and Kayla have been my favorites since the 80's and I miss them having more to do. There is so much potential. They are the best.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

I hate what has become of Steve and Kayla. This couple is so boring now. They were never boring before. Why can't this writer write?

Deleted User
Deleted User

Dragonish1
Nov 11 2008, 12:39 PM
I hate what has become of Steve and Kayla. This couple is so boring now. They were never boring before. Why can't this writer write?
Because someone convinced she actually could. That person is quite the amazing liar.
Quote Post Goto Top

cjknick
Member Avatar

I think that Days has too many Supercouple right now vying for screen time. Bo and Hope seemed to be the ones with the screen time this year they must be Dena's favorites. Steve and Kayla was Hogan's favorite supercouple. Tony and Anna need to be on more. John and Marlena I think they are on the verge of a big story soon!

Nicole Walker

Bo and Hope are getting a shitty storyline right now. I want the old Bo and Hope back. Where's the adventure and stuff? All they do is harrass people about Trent's murder and the mayor crap, I don't wanna see that all the time. Their story revolves around work now. What is Stephano doing? He's not doing anything but sitting around the mansion giving out advice. Where's my evil Stephano?
Edited by Nicole Walker, Nov 11 2008, 01:03 PM.

Alligato
Member Avatar

Call me crappy and hate me, but I would be happy to see them get rid of half the supercouples. There isn't much you can do with them that hasn't already been done. Can't split them up. Can't bring in a third party. Too old to have babies. They have had all the illnesses in the book. Can't kill'em.

Since Patch and Kayla have been back, I have hated every story. I don't like Bo and Hope story, and find dullness since Tony and Anna had this off screen wedding. Now the Tanna wedding had so much potential with Kate and Roman interfering, but noooooo. Now they are happily married couple...yawn!

They are secondary characters and should be...because in their hey day, they were the front burners and gave us many stories and adventures.
Sometimes it is okay to retire and pass the torch.
Edited by Alligato, Nov 11 2008, 01:59 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Alligato
Nov 11 2008, 01:56 PM
Call me crappy and hate me, but I would be happy to see them get rid of half the supercouples. There isn't much you can do with them that hasn't already been done. Can't split them up. Can't bring in a third party. Too old to have babies. They have had all the illnesses in the book. Can't kill'em.

Since Patch and Kayla have been back, I have hated every story. I don't like Bo and Hope story, and find dullness since Tony and Anna had this off screen wedding. Now the Tanna wedding had so much potential with Kate and Roman interfering, but noooooo. Now they are happily married couple...yawn!

They are secondary characters and should be...because in their hey day, they were the front burners and gave us many stories and adventures.
Sometimes it is okay to retire and pass the torch.
I love those couples but the torch should've been passed a long time ago.

It should happen gradually but I'm at the point that I don't care anymore. That is why what Higley and co are doing right now doesn't bother me AT ALL. It's long past time. I only wish Hogan was still here to do it because his stuff had more quality to it but this isn't bad either.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply