Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Why did Shawn and Belle get written out?
Topic Started: Nov 10 2008, 08:17 PM (4,280 Views)
Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

So, it's been almost a year, and I STILL can't get over it. lol Why did Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer get the axe? Out of every story that was going on, the Shawn, Belle, Philip, Chloe quadrangle had the most story potential and could have gone on forever. Martha was an amazing actress and Brandon
was getting better and better. In the last year, both Philip and Chloe have been wasted, bouncing from one story to the next. Was this a Corday move? A Dena move? Someone help me understand :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Corday loved his Shelle.

This was a Dena move.

Mason

Yup. Higley just didn't feel like writing them, and since we all know how whipped Corday is by her, Shelle was out the door just like that.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 10 2008, 08:18 PM
Corday loved his Shelle.

This was a Dena move.
I just can't get over how she couldn't make those characters work. They certainly didn't need to end up together. There was at least a years worth of story left. There was the great genuine mother/daughter relationship Belle had with Marlena; there was the developing animosity between Belle and Hope. Plus, they were "demo friendly." It was such a bad move and I want Dena to suffer for it lol

Kenny
Member Avatar

I miss Martha so much!

Lord knows I blew up their phone lines to try and save her. I had the comment lines at Corday Productions and NBC so full, I'm sure their heads were spinning. Heh. :)

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 10 2008, 08:37 PM
I miss Martha so much!

Lord knows I blew up their phone lines to try and save her. I had the answering machines at Corday Productions and NBC so full, I'm sure their heads were spinning. Heh. :)
Yeah, I remember when you called the show. At least Martha wasn't on DAYS when the whole Ed Scott scandal happened. It would break my heart if Martha was suspected as the tramp :)

She could have easily won an emmy for this stupid show. I can't imagine she was getting paid so much money that they couldn't afford her. Why is she gone, and Josh Taylor gets to stay? lol The thing that angers me the most, is usually there is some answer as to why a popular actress is written out. But, the show never said anything. Just that Belle and Shawn were getting their happily ever after. I wanted to hear their stupid reasons for doing this

Hypnotoad

Edited by Hypnotoad, Apr 10 2010, 05:12 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Nov 10 2008, 08:18 PM
Corday loved his Shelle.

This was a Dena move.
The fact that he loved them is why he wrote them out.

Phelle had developed quite the fanbase and Shawn/Chloe were interesting and he felt his beloved Shelle was threatened so he decided he would rather see them gone. No matter how much Corday likes Higley he can overrule her if he wanted to keep them. He didn't want to.

I think his plan was to bring Storms and Cook back or recast Belle and pair her with Shawn, knowing that would destroy Phelle because it wouldn't be the same actors. Anything to protect his golden couple, the one he proclaimed as the future for years.

This wasn't a Higley move. I don't know if she would write for them but she does write alot for their age bracket and wrote alot for them her first run so who knows. I don't think this move is her fault. Not at all.

I miss Martha but not Brandon or Shelle. I liked Brandon and Shelle was ok but Martha's absence does leave a void for me.

brimike

Can I ask a sincere question?

Where did this assumption start about "Corday's precious Shelle"? I know it gets talked about a lot, on a few different message boards - that he wants them together so much he has blinders on, and that's part of the reason why he fired them. But is there any foundation to the rumor? Did we ever get confirmation from any actors that Corday refused to pair either Shawn or Belle with anyone else long term?

ETA: I'm not questioning whether or not it's real - I'm just curious where it started.
Edited by brimike, Nov 10 2008, 10:52 PM.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Shawn has almost always been wrtten immature and just stupid, add to the fact I thought Beemer was just ok in the role I really don't miss Shawn Brady. However, I really miss the character of Belle and especially the greatness that was Martha Madison. I am shocked another soap hasn't snatched her up yet!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Nov 10 2008, 10:42 PM

Where did this assumption start about "Corday's precious Shelle"? I know it gets talked about a lot, on a few different message boards - that he wants them together so much he has blinders on, and that's part of the reason why he fired them. But is there any foundation to the rumor? Did we ever get confirmation from any actors that Corday refused to pair either Shawn or Belle with anyone else long term?
He constantly pimped them as the next Bo and Hope. From the moment they both were casted and put onscreen, they were tossed together and were placed on the frontburner. Corday was always going on and on about them in previews and interviews. The media kept proclaiming them the next Bo and hope and Corday even used that same proclamation himself. He called them the future of the show several times and the writing for them until Hogan fell in line with that very same thinking. He always made sure it was known no matter who was writing that they were "destined to be together," just like every other supercouple. You could tell he loved them and it's been Corday's dream for years to create his own supercouples and his own golden era of Days with them. Shelle were to lead that charge. Hell, even when they exited, he made sure they got a Bope exit and even referred to their exit as in line with Bo and Hope.

He doesn't have to actually come out and say it. It's quite obvious by the way it all unfolded that he adored them.

KristianFanForever
Member Avatar
Shove your crappy show where the sun don't shine, Corday!

The proclaimed 'golden couple' faded into a stale bronze. It had to happen eventually. LMAO!

Dragonish1
Member Avatar

I think alot of it was that DH had no idea what to do with them. I also think some felt BB and MM had poor chem. I think alot of mistakes were made with the couple. One of the worst choices was making them parents too soon. I think Shelle will return in the future, but with new actors.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Dragonish1
Nov 10 2008, 11:20 PM
I think alot of it was that DH had no idea what to do with them. I also think some felt BB and MM had poor chem. I think alot of mistakes were made with the couple. One of the worst choices was making them parents too soon. I think Shelle will return in the future, but with new actors.
See, I think the characters of Shawn and Belle had so much more potential apart, than together. I was all for them splitting up. Shawn was a Horton/Brady, Belle was a Brady/DiMera. Their parents on the show are arguably the four most popular characters on the show. With Chloe returning, and her past with Philip, the story was just beginning. It was just such a waste. I'm not saying that Beemer was the best actor to play Shawn, but Martha brought so many layers to Belle. By the end of her run on the show, I thought she was such a fascinating character. A "good girl," who believed her own hype, and yet made one bad decision after another. Such a missed opportunity.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Nov 10 2008, 11:29 PM
Dragonish1
Nov 10 2008, 11:20 PM
See, I think the characters of Shawn and Belle had so much more potential apart, than together. I was all for them splitting up. Shawn was a Horton/Brady, Belle was a Brady/DiMera. Their parents on the show are arguably the four most popular characters on the show. With Chloe returning, and her past with Philip, the story was just beginning. It was just such a waste. I'm not saying that Beemer was the best actor to play Shawn, but Martha brought so many layers to Belle. By the end of her run on the show, I thought she was such a fascinating character. A "good girl," who believed her own hype, and yet made one bad decision after another. Such a missed opportunity.
Well said.

That is why her firing made no sense to me. The character finally became someone the show could build around. She could lead this show in the future and they toss her away. Stupid.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I think this was a Higley move that Corday supported. That's the only logical thing. Shawn and Belle were front and center and then word broke that Hogan's team was canned and Higley and her team were coming out and then Shawn and Belle were being written out. I don't think Higley knew what to do with Shawn and Belle not together, and so she wanted to reunite them. And then Corday probably felt that it would be better to reunite the two and send them out of town so that fans can remember them being together without going through anything else. That way, fans will remember the last time they saw Shawn and Belle, they were together. The same way he sent Jack and Jennifer out of town. They had to leave happy together so that their fans would be happy and continue to watch even though their favorites are gone.

There were also rumors that Brandon Beemer and/or Martha Madison were difficult to work with. If you want to believe those rumors, go ahead. There's no way to prove or disprove them.

Mason

I think if Corday was unhappy about the growing support for Phelle and Shloe, he wouldn't have sent Shelle off the show. No, he would have done what he's always done before, and told the writers what to write (i.e. keep Shelle together). And I don't think it's a coincidence that just as Higley takes over during the strike we learned BB and MM were fired.
Edited by Mason, Nov 10 2008, 11:43 PM.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

brimike
Nov 10 2008, 10:42 PM

ETA: I'm not questioning whether or not it's real - I'm just curious where it started.
When people comment about Corday's hard on for Shelle, they're referring to an interview he did several years ago when Kristen Storms and Jason Cook were in the role. He referred to them as the show's "money couple," and he did this on several different occasions.
Edited by DrewHamilton, Nov 10 2008, 11:43 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I can see Higley bringing it up to Corday but he can still overrule her. If he wanted to keep them, he would've. That is why even if Higley brought it up, it's still a Corday move for me and one I feel he did because he was worried about Shelle not being universally liked.

Drew, you have a point about the rumors. We don't have alot to go on there but they were out there and I do find it weird that Beemer got picked up fast and Madison didn't. The fact that she is still unemployed makes me wonder about her. It really does.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 10 2008, 11:42 PM
I think if Corday was unhappy about the growing support for Phelle and Shloe, he wouldn't have sent Shelle off the show. No, he would have done what he's always done before, and told the writers what to write (i.e. keep Shelle together). And I don't think it's a coincidence that just as Higley takes over during the strike we learned BB and MM were fired.
I agree. Corday wants Shelle to be the destined end game couple. When it became evident that Belle worked better with Philip, and Shawn could have potential with Chloe, Corday's dreams of Shelle as the next Bope were crushed and I'm sure he didn't want that. So when Higley presented the idea of reuniting the two, Corday probably wanted them written off for a few years so that fans could see them happy as the last thing they saw, so when it was time to bring them back years later, Shelle fans can rejoice.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply