Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Why did Shawn and Belle get written out?
Topic Started: Nov 10 2008, 08:17 PM (4,539 Views)
DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:46 PM
I can see Higley bringing it up to Corday but he can still overrule her. If he wanted to keep them, he would've. That is why even if Higley brought it up, it's still a Corday move for me and one I feel he did because he was worried about Shelle not being universally liked.

Drew, you have a point about the rumors. We don't have alot to go on there but they were out there and I do find it weird that Beemer got picked up fast and Madison didn't. The fact that she is still unemployed makes me wonder about her. It really does.
That is why I think it was a mutual decision between Higley and Corday. Nothing else makes sense.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:30 PM
goldylicious
Nov 10 2008, 11:29 PM
Dragonish1
Nov 10 2008, 11:20 PM
I think alot of it was that DH had no idea what to do with them. I also think some felt BB and MM had poor chem. I think alot of mistakes were made with the couple. One of the worst choices was making them parents too soon. I think Shelle will return in the future, but with new actors.
See, I think the characters of Shawn and Belle had so much more potential apart, than together. I was all for them splitting up. Shawn was a Horton/Brady, Belle was a Brady/DiMera. Their parents on the show are arguably the four most popular characters on the show. With Chloe returning, and her past with Philip, the story was just beginning. It was just such a waste. I'm not saying that Beemer was the best actor to play Shawn, but Martha brought so many layers to Belle. By the end of her run on the show, I thought she was such a fascinating character. A "good girl," who believed her own hype, and yet made one bad decision after another. Such a missed opportunity.
Well said.

That is why her firing made no sense to me. The character finally became someone the show could build around. She could lead this show in the future and they toss her away. Stupid.
I loved Belle's smackdowns with Hope and Chloe.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

^ I agree. It was a genius decision to have Hope be the one that knew about Belle's affair first. It totally ruined Belle in Hope's eyes after she spent years wanting Belle to be her daughter-in-law.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Nov 10 2008, 11:40 PM
I think this was a Higley move that Corday supported. That's the only logical thing. Shawn and Belle were front and center and then word broke that Hogan's team was canned and Higley and her team were coming out and then Shawn and Belle were being written out. I don't think Higley knew what to do with Shawn and Belle not together, and so she wanted to reunite them. And then Corday probably felt that it would be better to reunite the two and send them out of town so that fans can remember them being together without going through anything else. That way, fans will remember the last time they saw Shawn and Belle, they were together. The same way he sent Jack and Jennifer out of town. They had to leave happy together so that their fans would be happy and continue to watch even though their favorites are gone.

There were also rumors that Brandon Beemer and/or Martha Madison were difficult to work with. If you want to believe those rumors, go ahead. There's no way to prove or disprove them.
I had never heard that Madison and Beemer were tough to work with. Madison could still come back. I never thought Zuker would be back and here she is now the lead actress on the show :)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Nov 10 2008, 11:48 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:30 PM
goldylicious
Dragonish1
I think alot of it was that DH had no idea what to do with them. I also think some felt BB and MM had poor chem. I think alot of mistakes were made with the couple. One of the worst choices was making them parents too soon. I think Shelle will return in the future, but with new actors.
See, I think the characters of Shawn and Belle had so much more potential apart, than together. I was all for them splitting up. Shawn was a Horton/Brady, Belle was a Brady/DiMera. Their parents on the show are arguably the four most popular characters on the show. With Chloe returning, and her past with Philip, the story was just beginning. It was just such a waste. I'm not saying that Beemer was the best actor to play Shawn, but Martha brought so many layers to Belle. By the end of her run on the show, I thought she was such a fascinating character. A "good girl," who believed her own hype, and yet made one bad decision after another. Such a missed opportunity.
Well said.

That is why her firing made no sense to me. The character finally became someone the show could build around. She could lead this show in the future and they toss her away. Stupid.
I loved Belle's smackdowns with Hope and Chloe.
I know.

She came alive when Hogan and co gave her an edge.

I just find it ironic that after years of forcing Shelle on us, just when most of the audience finally finds them interesting, they get rid of them LOL.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Nov 10 2008, 11:51 PM
^ I agree. It was a genius decision to have Hope be the one that knew about Belle's affair first. It totally ruined Belle in Hope's eyes after she spent years wanting Belle to be her daughter-in-law.
Yeah, and I think Hogan's best move during his entire tenure, was to have Hope walk into Belle's room just after she sexed it up with Philip. So soapy

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Nov 10 2008, 11:52 PM
DrewHamilton
I think this was a Higley move that Corday supported. That's the only logical thing. Shawn and Belle were front and center and then word broke that Hogan's team was canned and Higley and her team were coming out and then Shawn and Belle were being written out. I don't think Higley knew what to do with Shawn and Belle not together, and so she wanted to reunite them. And then Corday probably felt that it would be better to reunite the two and send them out of town so that fans can remember them being together without going through anything else. That way, fans will remember the last time they saw Shawn and Belle, they were together. The same way he sent Jack and Jennifer out of town. They had to leave happy together so that their fans would be happy and continue to watch even though their favorites are gone.

There were also rumors that Brandon Beemer and/or Martha Madison were difficult to work with. If you want to believe those rumors, go ahead. There's no way to prove or disprove them.
I had never heard that Madison and Beemer were tough to work with. Madison could still come back. I never thought Zuker would be back and here she is now the lead actress on the show :)
Why did you think Zucker would not be back?

I never saw her being a smash in primetime unless she was on a sitcom. I thought it would take awhile longer for her to return but I always felt she would return at some point.

I agree, Drew, Hope learning the truth was brilliant. What I liked the most was how much the story focused on Belle's appearing perfect to so many people and how she perceived herself as having to be that way. She always wanted to do the right thing and I just loved all the focus on her not being so perfect after all. It reminded me of how the John/Marlena affair story knocked Marlena off her pedestal and forced her and others to confront the fact that she was not a saint. The parallels to the affair story were the big reason I loved the Phelle story so much. I still remember a bedroom talk Shelle had. He mentioned how perfect she was in every way and Belle got deflated and said she wasn't perfect. Far from it . Brilliant stuff.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Nov 10 2008, 11:53 PM
DrewHamilton
Nov 10 2008, 11:51 PM
Yeah, and I think Hogan's best move during his entire tenure, was to have Hope walk into Belle's room just after she sexed it up with Philip. So soapy
Not to mention how quick it happened.

Hope learned the truth the first time they had sex so it wasn't dragged out. That made it more original in my eyes.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:56 PM
goldylicious
DrewHamilton

Why did you think Zucker would not be back?

I never saw her being a smash in primetime unless she was on a sitcom. I thought it would take awhile longer for her to return but I always felt she would return at some point.

I agree, Drew, Hope learning the truth was brilliant. What I liked the most was how much the story focused on Belle's appearing perfect to so many people and how she perceived herself as having to be that way. She always wanted to do the right thing and I just loved all the focus on her not being so perfect after all. It reminded me of how the John/Marlena affair story knocked Marlena off her pedestal and forced her and others to confront the fact that she was not a saint. The parallels to the affair story were the big reason I loved the Phelle story so much. I still remember a bedroom talk Shelle had. He mentioned how perfect she was in every way and Belle got deflated and said she wasn't perfect. Far from it . Brilliant stuff.
I never thought Zuker would be back, because when she left the show, she didn't even get an exit scene. The last we saw of her she was with Roman if I remember. At the time, I thought the character was played out, and she was the odd woman out of the Austin, Carrie, Sami, Lucas story. In watching some of the scenes from last winter, it really shows how Sheffer finally started to understand the show and the relationships. And on a separate note, John should have stayed dead. The show turned a corner with his death scenes, and then they had to reverse it and make it all about science fiction again. Dee could have rocked scenes for the next year, having it out with Stefano

Ives
Member Avatar

I thought Madison was good, especially in the deeply emotional scenes. But I still found her needing more spark in the non-heavy scenes. Still, though, loads more talent than most in her age group on the show in the last few years.

Honestly, I could never get into Beemer - I found him too wooden in his performance. And together, Shelle did not have much heat and chemistry. As someone who did not watch them when they were younger, I never thought the show told the story of *WHY* they were in love and why they were together. FWIW, I think that is a weakness with a lot of the couples that the show tries to throw together. From what I have seen, those couples that have had more lasting support and impact, they had a story of why - for Ejami, Sami was drawn to someone who did not judge her and EJ was drawn to the grayness in Sami's nature, and for Chick, Nick saw this good in Chelsea but was not afraid to confront her while Chelsea saw someone that challenged her to become a better person. I am sure I simplified a lot in these examples but hopefully you get my point.

It would have been interesting if Shawn chose to leave (and go off the show) because he was upset by the affair. Lots of tension with B&H and Belle and interesting stuff could have been pursued with Philip.

Sindacco

The show finally realized after years of pimping how pathetic the couple really was.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

goldylicious
DrewHamilton

I've actually heard the same thing about her, not so much him.
Another thing: with each recasting and each incarnation, i think they lost more Shelle fans. It was made pretty apparent through interviews Jason Cook didn't feel comfortable with Martha, for whatever reason. Shawn and Mimi were really starting to garner attention right before Cook left. Now, it was in dispute whether Cook was always planning to leave and they did the Shimi thing cause he wanted to work with FF before he left, or if he might have stayed if they kept Shimi or whatever, but it was apparent that once he left, they were going with Shelle again. IIRC, I don't even think they screentested Beemer with Farah, and that was a pretty quick recast. The writing for Shimi was basically that they were supposed to be a Shelle obstacle, but again, in interviews (I can't remember if it was Cook or Fath), they chose to play it more as a Shimi love story and not so much Belle. But, Shimi started getting SOD covers and Fath and Cook co-presented at the Emmys.....that wasn't supposed to happen! :o
With recasting Shawn so quickly, I think it hurt them even more. People weren't given a chance to get used to Cook being gone. For many viewers, it's not a couple thing come hell or high water. The actor has a lot to do with it, and I think it's a misservice to not play the actor with the other actors instead of trying to shoehorn a new actor with a new couple.
It was funny...but Belle actually garnered more fans from those who disliked Belle (now, this is solely based on the few boards I frequent) once her human side showed, Hope called her out, and Belle's glitter disappeared. Many people who didn't like her gave her a second look with the Phelle affair.
I just think there are people who felt Shelle was force-fed to them, too, ever since the whole "next Bo and Hope" phase and the quick SORASING of Belle to put her in Shawn's age league. Some people were squicked by the fact that at one time, Shawn and Belle considered each other cousins. (Course, that's tame compared to the Adventures of Mighty Max!)

dooldooldool

While MM may have evolved into a decent actress, she comes across at least a decade older than she actually is. That ruined most of the Shelle chemistry. She looked more like Shawn-D's mom than love interest.

I do think that one reason for the abrupt departure were quiet discussions about bringing the "originals" back. When that fell through, oh well, let's just send them off on a worldwide adventure offscreen.

At some point, I expect both JC and KS will be back.

brimike

KS won't come back. She knows she's got a better deal at GH. She has no reason at all to go back. Say what you will about GH, she's clearly having more fun there in that role... there's more job security over there... and she's much more popular with the fans.

JC is another story altogether, but I really think Days can kiss Kirsten Storms good-bye.

Then again, Grant Aleksander is back on GL. LOL! Never say never...

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake

It was funny...but Belle actually garnered more fans from those who disliked Belle (now, this is solely based on the few boards I frequent) once her human side showed, Hope called her out, and Belle's glitter disappeared. Many people who didn't like her gave her a second look with the Phelle affair.
I just think there are people who felt Shelle was force-fed to them, too, ever since the whole "next Bo and Hope" phase and the quick SORASING of Belle to put her in Shawn's age league. Some people were squicked by the fact that at one time, Shawn and Belle considered each other cousins. (Course, that's tame compared to the Adventures of Mighty Max!)

that's true in a way. i went from liking belle, to absolutely hating her during the jan spears/marrying phil storyline. i know that was JER and just the way he did things, but belle was flat-out unlikable during that storyline, and during mimi's abortion drama. she was very cruel to mimi, and that, for me, wasn't the belle i loved at all. but after mimi left and they went the phelle affair, i actually started liking belle again, because she was flawed, but wasn't a total hypocrite like she was when she was chasing shawn and married to phil.

i could never accept BB in the role of shawn. for me, he was just another underwear model up there to parade around shirtless and make the girls scream. the funny thing is, though, i actually liked the character of shawn better under him, because JC's shawn could be a complete jerk at times, but i think that was clearly a writing issue, not an acting one.
Edited by luvpumpkns, Nov 11 2008, 09:29 AM.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 11 2008, 03:39 AM
The show finally realized after years of pimping how pathetic the couple really was.
But Shawn and Belle didn't have to be together anymore. Belle had the affair, she was in love with Philip, and it could have been the end of the couple. Beemer, even with his limited acting ability, had charisma, and could certainly have created a spark with a new actress. And Martha could have continued
to take Belle in a new direction. To me, there is nothing more interesting than a self-professed good girl, who is in denial about her own bad behavior. Oh well, I'm not writing the show

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 11 2008, 04:03 AM
goldylicious
DrewHamilton

Another thing: with each recasting and each incarnation, i think they lost more Shelle fans. It was made pretty apparent through interviews Jason Cook didn't feel comfortable with Martha, for whatever reason. Shawn and Mimi were really starting to garner attention right before Cook left. Now, it was in dispute whether Cook was always planning to leave and they did the Shimi thing cause he wanted to work with FF before he left, or if he might have stayed if they kept Shimi or whatever, but it was apparent that once he left, they were going with Shelle again. IIRC, I don't even think they screentested Beemer with Farah, and that was a pretty quick recast. The writing for Shimi was basically that they were supposed to be a Shelle obstacle, but again, in interviews (I can't remember if it was Cook or Fath), they chose to play it more as a Shimi love story and not so much Belle. But, Shimi started getting SOD covers and Fath and Cook co-presented at the Emmys.....that wasn't supposed to happen! :o
With recasting Shawn so quickly, I think it hurt them even more. People weren't given a chance to get used to Cook being gone. For many viewers, it's not a couple thing come hell or high water. The actor has a lot to do with it, and I think it's a misservice to not play the actor with the other actors instead of trying to shoehorn a new actor with a new couple.
Fath and Cook had a lot of natutal chemistry and it showed up on screen. I don't miss them however lol I enjoy Fath on OLTL, but I don't think I could enjoy Cook in anything other than as a waiter at a Chessecake Factory. But clearly, "Shelle" was over, and it was time to move on. Other shows do that all of the time. I don't get why DAYS doesn't.

FanODays

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:46 PM
I can see Higley bringing it up to Corday but he can still overrule her. If he wanted to keep them, he would've. That is why even if Higley brought it up, it's still a Corday move for me and one I feel he did because he was worried about Shelle not being universally liked.

Drew, you have a point about the rumors. We don't have alot to go on there but they were out there and I do find it weird that Beemer got picked up fast and Madison didn't. The fact that she is still unemployed makes me wonder about her. It really does.
Madison isn't unemployed she just isn't working as an actress. I believe she posted on her website a few months ago that she and her husband were opening up another restaurant, or maybe it was Nelson who reported that.

Big difference.

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Nov 11 2008, 04:03 AM
goldylicious
DrewHamilton

Cook and Fath decided it was a Shimi love story not the show.

Cook's feelings about the show were loudly apparent even before the Belle recast and his comments about Reilly after he, Cook, left speak volumes as some like to say. My recollection was that Cook never got over the way Shawn was not given any resolution to the cage storyline, a storyline he found degrading, then Shawn spent months chasing Belle and being an idiot. The only thing Cook seemed to like about the stories during that time was when Shawn had amnesia and he was a huge prick. Otherwise the story for Shawn sucked which, IMO started to really come through in his performances.

As to why Shelle were let go......my take........power. Someone, my guess Scott wanted Phelle and Phloe and Higley wanted to be the Queen of it all so she took the option away by having Corday fire them.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Dragonish1
Oh I fully agree with you. I was and am a MM fan. I enjoyed what she and Jay shared on screen. I also saw the chem between BB and NB. I think it is a shame potential sls were cut short. I felt cheated.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply