Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS: Why did Shawn and Belle get written out?
Topic Started: Nov 10 2008, 08:17 PM (4,277 Views)
phellelover

ladyofthelake
Nov 11 2008, 04:03 AM
goldylicious
Nov 10 2008, 11:52 PM
DrewHamilton
Nov 10 2008, 11:40 PM
I think this was a Higley move that Corday supported. That's the only logical thing. Shawn and Belle were front and center and then word broke that Hogan's team was canned and Higley and her team were coming out and then Shawn and Belle were being written out. I don't think Higley knew what to do with Shawn and Belle not together, and so she wanted to reunite them. And then Corday probably felt that it would be better to reunite the two and send them out of town so that fans can remember them being together without going through anything else. That way, fans will remember the last time they saw Shawn and Belle, they were together. The same way he sent Jack and Jennifer out of town. They had to leave happy together so that their fans would be happy and continue to watch even though their favorites are gone.

There were also rumors that Brandon Beemer and/or Martha Madison were difficult to work with. If you want to believe those rumors, go ahead. There's no way to prove or disprove them.
I had never heard that Madison and Beemer were tough to work with. Madison could still come back. I never thought Zuker would be back and here she is now the lead actress on the show :)
I've actually heard the same thing about her, not so much him.
Another thing: with each recasting and each incarnation, i think they lost more Shelle fans. It was made pretty apparent through interviews Jason Cook didn't feel comfortable with Martha, for whatever reason. Shawn and Mimi were really starting to garner attention right before Cook left. Now, it was in dispute whether Cook was always planning to leave and they did the Shimi thing cause he wanted to work with FF before he left, or if he might have stayed if they kept Shimi or whatever, but it was apparent that once he left, they were going with Shelle again. IIRC, I don't even think they screentested Beemer with Farah, and that was a pretty quick recast. The writing for Shimi was basically that they were supposed to be a Shelle obstacle, but again, in interviews (I can't remember if it was Cook or Fath), they chose to play it more as a Shimi love story and not so much Belle. But, Shimi started getting SOD covers and Fath and Cook co-presented at the Emmys.....that wasn't supposed to happen! :o
With recasting Shawn so quickly, I think it hurt them even more. People weren't given a chance to get used to Cook being gone. For many viewers, it's not a couple thing come hell or high water. The actor has a lot to do with it, and I think it's a misservice to not play the actor with the other actors instead of trying to shoehorn a new actor with a new couple.
It was funny...but Belle actually garnered more fans from those who disliked Belle (now, this is solely based on the few boards I frequent) once her human side showed, Hope called her out, and Belle's glitter disappeared. Many people who didn't like her gave her a second look with the Phelle affair.
I just think there are people who felt Shelle was force-fed to them, too, ever since the whole "next Bo and Hope" phase and the quick SORASING of Belle to put her in Shawn's age league. Some people were squicked by the fact that at one time, Shawn and Belle considered each other cousins. (Course, that's tame compared to the Adventures of Mighty Max!)
See, I remember reading somewhere or hearing somewhere that JC was angry about his s/l prior to when MM was hired and that his attitude was very anti-Days and he was very vocal about not wanting to be there. MM came on and loved everything about Days and was so grateful to be there and be working on her favorite show and they didn't work well together because of it. I always thought this theory made the most sense as to why they didn't get along that great. Just a different perspective I guess. If this is true then I don't think either of them were wrong, but it showed onscreen.

Either way, it doesn't really matter anymore I guess. I just wish Belle was back! I miss MM and I love her with Jay!!!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:56 PM
I agree, Drew, Hope learning the truth was brilliant. What I liked the most was how much the story focused on Belle's appearing perfect to so many people and how she perceived herself as having to be that way. She always wanted to do the right thing and I just loved all the focus on her not being so perfect after all. It reminded me of how the John/Marlena affair story knocked Marlena off her pedestal and forced her and others to confront the fact that she was not a saint. The parallels to the affair story were the big reason I loved the Phelle story so much. I still remember a bedroom talk Shelle had. He mentioned how perfect she was in every way and Belle got deflated and said she wasn't perfect. Far from it . Brilliant stuff.
That was the best aspect of this story when it was going on. It was more and more about Belle and not living up to the image. Both Philip and Shawn saw her at this perfect being and isn't wasn't who she grew into. Choices she made going back to lying about her mother's whereabouts during the SSK started this change that was complete during the affair with Philip. I have to admit that I was one that wanted Shelle together in the end, but I could have gone for the pair being apart....if written correctly. The quad had so many ways it could have gone that even if your favorite pairing didn't come out on top the ride to see it end would have been some good character driven storytelling.

But the only reason that I couldn't comlpetely get on the Phelle train was the way Belle treated Philip when she was married to him. He was a total idiot that was constantly stepped on by her. I always felt during that time Philip was chasing Belle all over as much as Shawn was. I wish we could have seen more into why Philip wanted Belle when she treated him so crappy before. It seemed at first it was to win, but then he became stalkerish. It seemed like they didn't know where they wanted to go with it.

As to who let this happen. I have to go it was a combination of things. I do honestly believe that Corday thought he could get Cook/Storms back in the roles. I know I heard on an interview with Tom Casiello (former Days writer under Hogan) that there had been talk of the whole Ireland story but the characters being Cook/Storms as Shelle instead of EJ/Sami. So I think it was part of Dena not wanting to write for the couple and Corday wanting to give them a "happy ending". It is a shame, because they could have broken up the pairing and given each of them individual stories with the career choices they made. We could have some good stuff with Shawn working on the police force with Bo...you know there would have been some good head butts there. Belle also working in the hospital could have put her in the middle of things. Just seems to fall in the line of what I have seen with the show that has me completely turned away from it. It just seems like they are throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. It sticks for a week and then they go with something new. Just no consistency and they are trying to make too many specific groups happy and not the general viewing audience.

Loved the clip Kenny. MM and BB played those scenes and the fallout after on the next episode perfectly.

heartsong

Corday is the one behind MM and BB's firings. Higley and Scott wanted to do a Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe quad, with Philip/Belle and Shawn/Chloe being the couples to come out of it. They both saw more story potential with those couples than with Shawn/Belle and a Philip/Chloe redux. They fought with Corday on this and Corday was the one who made the executive decision to terminate the two. He forced Scott to break the news to Brandon and Martha. This is why there was a sudden shift in the story at the beginning of the year as Shawn forgave Belle and Philip and Chloe started moving towards each other in Ireland.

That being said, I don't miss either of them. Beemer was a horrible recast and had no chemistry with Martha.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

cubsgirl
Nov 11 2008, 01:42 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 10 2008, 11:56 PM
I agree, Drew, Hope learning the truth was brilliant. What I liked the most was how much the story focused on Belle's appearing perfect to so many people and how she perceived herself as having to be that way. She always wanted to do the right thing and I just loved all the focus on her not being so perfect after all. It reminded me of how the John/Marlena affair story knocked Marlena off her pedestal and forced her and others to confront the fact that she was not a saint. The parallels to the affair story were the big reason I loved the Phelle story so much. I still remember a bedroom talk Shelle had. He mentioned how perfect she was in every way and Belle got deflated and said she wasn't perfect. Far from it . Brilliant stuff.
That was the best aspect of this story when it was going on. It was more and more about Belle and not living up to the image. Both Philip and Shawn saw her at this perfect being and isn't wasn't who she grew into. Choices she made going back to lying about her mother's whereabouts during the SSK started this change that was complete during the affair with Philip. I have to admit that I was one that wanted Shelle together in the end, but I could have gone for the pair being apart....if written correctly. The quad had so many ways it could have gone that even if your favorite pairing didn't come out on top the ride to see it end would have been some good character driven storytelling.

But the only reason that I couldn't comlpetely get on the Phelle train was the way Belle treated Philip when she was married to him. He was a total idiot that was constantly stepped on by her. I always felt during that time Philip was chasing Belle all over as much as Shawn was. I wish we could have seen more into why Philip wanted Belle when she treated him so crappy before. It seemed at first it was to win, but then he became stalkerish. It seemed like they didn't know where they wanted to go with it.

As to who let this happen. I have to go it was a combination of things. I do honestly believe that Corday thought he could get Cook/Storms back in the roles. I know I heard on an interview with Tom Casiello (former Days writer under Hogan) that there had been talk of the whole Ireland story but the characters being Cook/Storms as Shelle instead of EJ/Sami. So I think it was part of Dena not wanting to write for the couple and Corday wanting to give them a "happy ending". It is a shame, because they could have broken up the pairing and given each of them individual stories with the career choices they made. We could have some good stuff with Shawn working on the police force with Bo...you know there would have been some good head butts there. Belle also working in the hospital could have put her in the middle of things. Just seems to fall in the line of what I have seen with the show that has me completely turned away from it. It just seems like they are throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. It sticks for a week and then they go with something new. Just no consistency and they are trying to make too many specific groups happy and not the general viewing audience.

Loved the clip Kenny. MM and BB played those scenes and the fallout after on the next episode perfectly.

With Belle working at the hospital as a nurse. they could have paired her with Daniel. If Corday truly thought he could have gotten Storms and Cook back in the roles, then he is truly delusional. Not only are they vocal about their happiness with being off of the show, but the characters had changed so much. I couldn't even begin to imagine them back in the roles.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

heartsong
Nov 11 2008, 02:10 PM
Corday is the one behind MM and BB's firings. Higley and Scott wanted to do a Shawn/Belle/Philip/Chloe quad, with Philip/Belle and Shawn/Chloe being the couples to come out of it. They both saw more story potential with those couples than with Shawn/Belle and a Philip/Chloe redux. They fought with Corday on this and Corday was the one who made the executive decision to terminate the two. He forced Scott to break the news to Brandon and Martha. This is why there was a sudden shift in the story at the beginning of the year as Shawn forgave Belle and Philip and Chloe started moving towards each other in Ireland.

That being said, I don't miss either of them. Beemer was a horrible recast and had no chemistry with Martha.
Not doubting you, but how do you know for sure that Corday was the one behind it, and that Scott and Dena (who clearly weren't the best of friends lol), wanted the quad to continue.

heartsong

goldylicious
Nov 11 2008, 02:24 PM
heartsong

Not doubting you, but how do you know for sure that Corday was the one behind it, and that Scott and Dena (who clearly weren't the best of friends lol), wanted the quad to continue.
Because I know someone close to the situation.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

heartsong
Nov 11 2008, 02:45 PM
goldylicious
heartsong

Then that begs the question. If Corday was responsible for it, what was his reasoning behind it?

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

goldylicious
Nov 11 2008, 03:05 PM
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

Then that begs the question. If Corday was responsible for it, what was his reasoning behind it?
I think we already established that. He wanted to preserve Shelle.

He felt they were being threatened. Phelle was big, Shawn/Chloe was getting big. He got rid of them and I think the plan was to recast with either Storms/Cook or Cook and someone else. Ultimately, he had no choice but to just keep them off the canvas because he couldn't get it the way he wanted.

Martha's firing got such a huge fan response, moreso then RJ or others. In recent years, Days has reversed casting decisions in response to fans yet they don't this time. Sort of weird. I also find it weird that Martha has not been hired and Beemer has. We don't even hear much about Martha being considered for roles. That just puzzles me.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 11 2008, 03:41 PM
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

He felt they were being threatened. Phelle was big, Shawn/Chloe was getting big. He got rid of them and I think the plan was to recast with either Storms/Cook or Cook and someone else. Ultimately, he had no choice but to just keep them off the canvas because he couldn't get it the way he wanted.

Martha's firing got such a huge fan response, moreso then RJ or others. In recent years, Days has reversed casting decisions in response to fans yet they don't this time. Sort of weird. I also find it weird that Martha has not been hired and Beemer has. We don't even hear much about Martha being considered for roles. That just puzzles me.
Everyone has just assumed he wanted to "preserve" Shelle, and that is why they were written out. I just don't believe that's the reason

Mason

I really think Martha just hasn't been looking for many acting gigs. I think she's satisfied with her and her husband's restaurant business, at the moment. I have a hard time buying the rumor about Martha being difficult to work with. She's never struck me as the type at all.

heartsong

PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

You would be correct. Corday saw them as a package deal and didn't value them as individuals, so he got rid of both of them.

Jason Cook was approached but declined the offer out of respect to Brandon Beemer and because he didn't want to do "Shelle" again without Kirsten - and Kirsten will never reprise the role of Belle, at least as long as Corday is there.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

heartsong
Nov 11 2008, 04:25 PM
PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

You would be correct. Corday saw them as a package deal and didn't value them as individuals, so he got rid of both of them.

Jason Cook was approached but declined the offer out of respect to Brandon Beemer and because he didn't want to do "Shelle" again without Kirsten - and Kirsten will never reprise the role of Belle, at least as long as Corday is there.
I'm not saying Beemer was Al Pacino, but compared to Cook, he might as well have been

FanODays

Mason
Nov 11 2008, 04:11 PM
I really think Martha just hasn't been looking for many acting gigs. I think she's satisfied with her and her husband's restaurant business, at the moment. I have a hard time buying the rumor about Martha being difficult to work with. She's never struck me as the type at all.
I find it hard to believe that MM was difficult to work with and have some suspicions about who is spreading rumors to the contrary and let's just say they have their own agenda.

FanODays

goldylicious
Nov 11 2008, 04:37 PM
heartsong
PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

I'm not saying Beemer was Al Pacino, but compared to Cook, he might as well have been
You can say that again. JC's lack of air time after all the big to-do over his being hired by GH is pretty obvious that Cook's acting isn't what they were expecting nor, unless he's cleaned up his act, are his work habits.

As for why Corday let them go, I don't think there is any big reason for it. I don't think Corday, well thinks, or has any grand plan for the show at all.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

It makes sense to me and is so Corday, at least my understanding of him. Corday would rather see his golden couple sail off into the sunset rather than break up the very thing he touted and basically pushed together for years. And if they weren't getting along or didn't work well, why recast yet AGAIN?

Seriously, Shelle had a lot of fans, but Shelle had a lot of fans who couldn't stand them. They weren't a clear-cut golden couple. I think, if the original intent of having Shawn/Chloe and Philip/Belle was true, then Corday really screwed up big time.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

goldylicious
Nov 11 2008, 04:02 PM
PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

Everyone has just assumed he wanted to "preserve" Shelle, and that is why they were written out. I just don't believe that's the reason
Then what do you think the reason is?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

goldylicious
heartsong
PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

Now THAT is definitely a matter of opinion. Ever since Beemer got on board, I've seen several places where he was bashed up one side and down the other. And, I just don't mean on message boards. A lot of it might have had to do with the writing (and it probably did), but Shawn came across to a lot of people as a big dufus. And again, because Beemer came on the very HEELS of Cook, quite a few fans were not given the luxury to get used to him. It's not like they replaced some D level character. Jason Cook was Shawn for what? 7 years? Part of the established royal families? A big part of several storylines before Shelle? You just don't do that. I much preferred Jason Cook to Brandon Beemer.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

FanODays
Nov 11 2008, 05:30 PM
Mason
Nov 11 2008, 04:11 PM
I find it hard to believe that MM was difficult to work with and have some suspicions about who is spreading rumors to the contrary and let's just say they have their own agenda.
Care to enlighten us?

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

FanODays
Nov 11 2008, 05:33 PM
goldylicious
heartsong
PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

You can say that again. JC's lack of air time after all the big to-do over his being hired by GH is pretty obvious that Cook's acting isn't what they were expecting nor, unless he's cleaned up his act, are his work habits.

As for why Corday let them go, I don't think there is any big reason for it. I don't think Corday, well thinks, or has any grand plan for the show at all.
Then why was Jason Cook given his choice of two ABC shows? He didn't go to them. I believe they sought him out.

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Nov 11 2008, 07:03 PM
FanODays
Nov 11 2008, 05:33 PM
goldylicious
heartsong
PhoenixRising05
goldylicious
heartsong
goldylicious
heartsong

Then why was Jason Cook given his choice of two ABC shows? He didn't go to them. I believe they sought him out.
I know they sought him out but he's hardly been used and has no signs of having a storyline that he plays a major part of. I don't see GH splitting up Spinelli and Maxie anytime in the near future and the whole counterfiet drugs storyline seems to have been dropped.

If he was so very sought after, why isn't he being used?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply