Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Where Are Steve and Kayla?; They haven't been on since early October
Topic Started: Nov 11 2008, 09:45 AM (2,474 Views)
ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

goldylicious
Nov 11 2008, 04:35 PM
There are a lot of Steve and Kayla fans that have come out of the woodwork with their first post lol Heck, if they have that many fans, maybe there is still hope
Why do you attribute that only to Steve and Kayla fans? That happens every time a fanbase feels a couple or character needs an extra boost on the boards. It happens with Phelle, with Ejami, with J&M, Chan.......
Gads, during the Shelle/Shimi wars, there were run and hit posters on both sides all the time, not to mention multiple personalities. It happens.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Nov 11 2008, 06:40 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 11 2008, 06:40 PM
goldylicious
There are a lot of Steve and Kayla fans that have come out of the woodwork with their first post lol Heck, if they have that many fans, maybe there is still hope
Why do you attribute that only to Steve and Kayla fans? That happens every time a fanbase feels a couple or character needs an extra boost on the boards. It happens with Phelle, with Ejami, with J&M, Chan.......
Gads, during the Shelle/Shimi wars, there were run and hit posters on both sides all the time, not to mention multiple personalities. It happens.
Cause this was a Steve and Kayla thread lol

Sindacco
Member Avatar

King
Nov 11 2008, 03:25 PM
I will never understand why DAYS wrote off Belle and Shawn over Steve and Kayla.
Because Stephen and Mary Beth are much better actors then Martha and Brandon.

six
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 11 2008, 01:29 PM
Languishing on Backburner Island, probably never to return.
I sure hope so. I know they were supposed to be great back in the day, but all their new stories have bombed imo.

If they won't bring shelle back, they should at least bring back Belle (Martha) and Claire. Belle had just become a great character after the shelle break up, then they threw it all away.

Ives
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 11 2008, 06:40 PM
goldylicious
Correct. FWIW, I know all of the new posters as individual posters from other boards. Now unless if you all think that I am the multiple personality . . . :tounge: Just kidding, of course. B-)

bobann10
Member Avatar

We need to bring back Steve and Kayla . They do need to be with Stephanie right now because of what she is going through with Max. Days needs to bring back the vets.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

It would have been nice if they had been able to create a story for Steve that included him being a PI, and poor Kayla being used as a token Dr and sounding board. It wouldn't make me sad if they took Steph with them on their way out of town. Maybe Kayla could get a job as a COS for a hospital out of town, that would write them off without killing anyone off......

Wish they'd bring back MM as Belle and it would be a dream come true if they could actually get someone like Tom Pelphrey to play Shawn......

~bl~
Member Avatar

Steve and Kayla were one of the first couples I was ever into on a soap. I do think it is insane how infrequently they have been on in the last few months. Is Days not using them now because earlier in the year they used too many of their guaranteed (paid) episodes or is it due to their last story with Ava being a bust...

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

Sindacco
Nov 11 2008, 07:47 PM
King
I will never understand why DAYS wrote off Belle and Shawn over Steve and Kayla.
In my opinion, Stephen and Mary Beth are good actors, but boring together as characters. Steve makes me laugh a ton, and while they have chemistry together, they have yet to have storyline that really truly makes me wanna watch them since their return.

I'm with King here, Belle and Shawn should've totally stayed over them if a couple had to be sacrificed. Particularly, Martha was a gem for the show!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 11 2008, 07:47 PM
King
I think that matters much less than how much the audience cares about the characters.

I think Martha is an incredible actress, personally.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I would say that Martha is at least as good an actress as Mary Beth, personally.

hops
Member Avatar

I would love it if they brought Belle and Claire back. I think Martha is a very good actress.

Ellie

Here are my thoughts about the 'vet couples'. I think each couple has one or more core dynamics to their relationship, which should be used as a foundation for all of their stories. This is not just a 'soap thing', by the way; couples in real life also have a certain driving force behind their attraction and their connection. I think that longtime viewers can identify core characteristics of Steve and Kayla's relationship, as well as Bo and Hope's and John and Marlena's. Now, certain viewers may not like relationships built on those elements (such as one person's rescuing another, or 'bad boy/good girl', or a 'soulmate connection'), but that's why not every couple is for every viewer.

I think the issues come when the writers ignore these dynamics and instead treat the couple as two random characters to insert into any given story. I think that Sheffer and now Higley are doing that with Steve and Kayla and Bo and Hope. John and Marlena are the only couple who I think have some semblance of their core dynamic left, though Higley seems to be doing everything in her power to remove that from the writing.

All this is to help explain why I think Steve and Kayla are not as popular with viewers now as they were in the 80's. What endeared them to viewers in the 80's is unfortunately almost completely gone now, and many of the current viewers didn't watch in the 80's. Stephen and Mary Beth are still there, of course, but Steve and Kayla are now treated as two generic characters. Any elements of Steve and Kayla's relationship we see now are (imo) being inserted by the actors.

Had Sheffer done the appropriate research and built their return story on their past core dynamic, they might have caught on more at the beginning. In my mind, it should have almost been an 'emotional repeat' of their initial story; while their histories over the past 15 years separated them, what brought them together in the first place should have been able to fuel their ultimate reconnection, no matter what the outside circumstances. It's most unfortunate that their return was under Sheffer's pen, as he didn't really "get" them as characters or as a couple, and by extension, neither did many of the viewers.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 13 2008, 10:06 PM.

pnelsen

I am a Huge Steve and Kayla fan and I agree with you. Reilly, wasn't he writing at the time; ruined Steve and Kayla's reunion and Sheffer didn't write write much better for them. They should have not jumped into that Steve, tarrot card story. That was stupid. They should have rebuilt Steve and Kayla's relationship starting with his memory return. But, all that said and done, there is no reason that a decent story cannot be written for them now. At least tell us how Stephano ended up with Steve as his pawn, and maybe some of Kayla's backstory of the 16 missing years. Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans could pull off the fix, and show us why Patch and Kayla were the "Days" supercouple they were.
Just my opinion.

daysfan
Member Avatar

I honestly feel bad for Steve and Kayla, because they've alwyas just sorta been dropped in a HW's lap, whether it was Hogan, Dena, or one of their Co-HW's. And S&K returned in a time of turmoil and changes for Days.

In 2006, if I remember correctly, JER brought back Steve and Kayla, he had some type of story planned for them. But right after their returns were announced and written and the initial set up was written, JER got fired. And yes Hogan wrote some stories for them, as had Dena and she did want them to return in 2003, but ultimately I think that if JER had left just a bit before he decided to bring them back, they would NOT be here today.

JER had that triangle and amnesia story planned with that one girl, his ex who appeared in a few episodes during the Summer of 2006, but Hogan canned that. And again, I think what majorly hurt their return was they came back during that turmoil when Days switched writers, and the changing of the gloves identities, etc etc. And when Hogan came, he had Steve regain his memory rather quickly, and then he had that brainwashing story. It was rather good, but then the backburning of the vets came, and I think their story was shortened significantally.

Then there was the DiMera-Brady feud, and the Tyler stuff. They were around and did some significant things, but then they pretty much went quiet. Then the writers changed again right after Kayla got pregnant, and Steve and Kayla were present and Steve I think did some significant stuff during the plane crash, and they finally got a good sized story with Ava for a couple of months. Then when they escaped her compound, and once the aftermath of that ended, Kayla gave birth and again, they pretty much have small stories here and there and do nothing else.

But it all comes down to this: I think Steve and Kayla have suffered from backstage turmoil and issues. First with JER bringing them back and leaving, then with Hogan's story for them getting cut short, then with the writers changing again, and then they go back to the backburner. Ultimately, because Days is always in some kind of transition now, I don't think there's been the time to actually give them a proper story.

Mason
Member Avatar

I always thought bringing S&K back in 2006 was a Corday move. I got the feeling that JER really wasn't into the idea.

Ellie

^^ That's right, I'm sorry, it was a combination of JER/Sheffer when they returned. I had forgotten that. (Though I don't think that changes what I'm saying, that their return story was not done correctly - but I do stand corrected, it was not only Sheffer's fault.)
Edited by Ellie, Nov 13 2008, 10:29 PM.

Ellie

pnelsen
Nov 13 2008, 10:14 PM
I am a Huge Steve and Kayla fan and I agree with you. Reilly, wasn't he writing at the time; ruined Steve and Kayla's reunion and Sheffer didn't write write much better for them. They should have not jumped into that Steve, tarrot card story. That was stupid. They should have rebuilt Steve and Kayla's relationship starting with his memory return. But, all that said and done, there is no reason that a decent story cannot be written for them now. At least tell us how Stephano ended up with Steve as his pawn, and maybe some of Kayla's backstory of the 16 missing years. Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans could pull off the fix, and show us why Patch and Kayla were the "Days" supercouple they were.
Just my opinion.
Unfortunately though, the reason that a decent story cannot be written for them now is the same as the reason a decent story cannot be written for anyone else now. Dena Higley. Replacing her would really solve SO many problems the show is having.

Ellie

Daysfan, I understand what you're saying - I guess I disagree in that I'm saying it was more the writing itself and how their relationship was handled, and you're saying it was more the backstage turmoil. But either way, sounds like we are agreeing that for whatever the reason, viewers were not given a good story through which they could have reconnected with these characters.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 13 2008, 10:48 PM.

pnelsen

I totally agree with you Ellie, the writing on "Days" is awful for everyone involved in this slow dying show. I wish tptb would wake up. Another head writer change could not do any more damage than is being done right now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply