Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Where Are Steve and Kayla?; They haven't been on since early October
Topic Started: Nov 11 2008, 09:45 AM (2,447 Views)
daysfan
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 13 2008, 10:47 PM
Daysfan, I understand what you're saying - I guess I disagree in that I'm saying it was more the writing itself and how their relationship was handled, and you're saying it was more the backstage turmoil. But either way, sounds like we are agreeing that for whatever the reason, viewers were not given a good story through which they could have reconnected with these characters.
Well, in some ways I do agree with what you are saying.

It was the writing itself to some extent, and both Higley and Hogan had plenty of time to write some type of story for their relationship or just a good, long story for them.

I think when it comes to the turmoil, what I am mainly saying is: Due to the turmoil, the viewers never got to know Steve and Kayla. The viewers that weren't watching when they were around back in the 80's. Because there has never been a long storyline for them. Its either been some quickie one, or they just aren't on. And that is why ultimately, I think this tenure of theirs has crashed and burned.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

daysfan
Nov 13 2008, 10:55 PM
I think when it comes to the turmoil, what I am mainly saying is: Due to the turmoil, the viewers never got to know Steve and Kayla. The viewers that weren't watching when they were around back in the 80's. Because there has never been a long storyline for them. Its either been some quickie one, or they just aren't on.
Exactly - because there are so many new viewers, there should have been a strong story to re-orient viewers to this couple, and there wasn't at all.

pnelsen

I do think the writers had a lot of flash backs of Steve and Kayla. Even as recently as Bo and Hope's wedding vow renewal. I hope Steve and Kayla continue on until the end. It is the little pleasue I personally get from this soap I have watched off and on for the last 25 years.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

daysfan
Nov 13 2008, 10:17 PM
I honestly feel bad for Steve and Kayla, because they've alwyas just sorta been dropped in a HW's lap, whether it was Hogan, Dena, or one of their Co-HW's. And S&K returned in a time of turmoil and changes for Days.

In 2006, if I remember correctly, JER brought back Steve and Kayla, he had some type of story planned for them. But right after their returns were announced and written and the initial set up was written, JER got fired. And yes Hogan wrote some stories for them, as had Dena and she did want them to return in 2003, but ultimately I think that if JER had left just a bit before he decided to bring them back, they would NOT be here today.

JER had that triangle and amnesia story planned with that one girl, his ex who appeared in a few episodes during the Summer of 2006, but Hogan canned that. And again, I think what majorly hurt their return was they came back during that turmoil when Days switched writers, and the changing of the gloves identities, etc etc. And when Hogan came, he had Steve regain his memory rather quickly, and then he had that brainwashing story. It was rather good, but then the backburning of the vets came, and I think their story was shortened significantally.

Then there was the DiMera-Brady feud, and the Tyler stuff. They were around and did some significant things, but then they pretty much went quiet. Then the writers changed again right after Kayla got pregnant, and Steve and Kayla were present and Steve I think did some significant stuff during the plane crash, and they finally got a good sized story with Ava for a couple of months. Then when they escaped her compound, and once the aftermath of that ended, Kayla gave birth and again, they pretty much have small stories here and there and do nothing else.

But it all comes down to this: I think Steve and Kayla have suffered from backstage turmoil and issues. First with JER bringing them back and leaving, then with Hogan's story for them getting cut short, then with the writers changing again, and then they go back to the backburner. Ultimately, because Days is always in some kind of transition now, I don't think there's been the time to actually give them a proper story.
Well put.

You can't produce a complete story with all that upheaval. That goes for anything Days has tried to do in the last few years. This is what happens when you have an EP and network who don't keep their hands out of the proverbial "pie," so to speak. It also doesn't help that the show has a "kneejerk reaction" policy when it comes to story. One thing goes wrong or one fanbase or group bitches and they can the story and start all over. You can't do that. You can't be afraid. You have to pick a direction and stick with it for awhile unless what your doing is really insulting or offensive (like the Iraq story).

I know there were issues before this but the main problem I feel was Sheffer tying up Steve's amnesia too early. I get what he was doing. Fans were on him from day one about the promises he made regarding the couples so he wanted to please people early on. However, the story was there. You even had Billie, who Steve had a nice rapport with, there as an obstacle or you could've brought the Ava character on or someone like her at that point. Steve and Kayla needed obstacles and the story was set up perfectly despite the summer of 2006 upheaval. They tied it up and Sheffer kind of didn't want to. You could tell so the show comes up with the brainwashing angle, which was just a continuation of the amnesia story only Steve had his memory. What made that worse was the fact that Hogan could not use the people he wanted to. Bo and Hope presence alone could've helped that story but I digress. Really, both the amnesia and brainwashing stories could've worked as one and served the same purpose. That along with Billie/Ava/or someone else could've thrown alot of story at Steve and Kayla for months, if not years. That was the kind of story Steve and Kayla needed.

If you go back to the 90's, recent fans were taken on a journey. When Hope returned, they didn't know her. Most knew Bo/Billie or Bo/Carly. Days didn't force J&M or Bope together in the 90.s They allowed for them to face new obstacles different then the ones in the 80's and through those obstacles recent fans got to see their own Bope and J&M love stories. Old fans were reminded of what was so great and new/recent fans were shown why the couples were important and grew attached to them themselves. That is what Steve/Kayla needed. They needed to be kept apart for awhile and challenged for a long time so today's audience could see them come together for themselves. They could get a modern version of their love story in a sense, just like the 90's with J&M and Bope. Longtime fans would be reminded of the special element of Steve and Kayla and new fans would be introduced to it. They would become endeared to them through that. You can't just put a couple on the canvas. You need to show the viewer why they are special. The upheaval kept the show from coming up with a steady throughline for them and you really have to rope fans early with this kind of stuff because, if enough time passes, fans just give up and don't care and I think that happened with Steve and Kayla. if things were different, I doubt many would see Steve and Kayla as expendable.

The only real time I think the show captured their magic was during the quarantine story in November 2006 and in December 2006 when Steve remembered. Other then that, I think it's been hit or miss, which is a damn shame.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 02:43 AM
If you go back to the 90's, recent fans were taken on a journey. When Hope returned, they didn't know her. Most knew Bo/Billie or Bo/Carly. Days didn't force J&M or Bope together in the 90.s They allowed for them to face new obstacles different then the ones in the 80's and through those obstacles recent fans got to see their own Bope and J&M love stories. Old fans were reminded of what was so great and new/recent fans were shown why the couples were important and grew attached to them themselves. That is what Steve/Kayla needed. They needed to be kept apart for awhile and challenged for a long time so today's audience could see them come together for themselves. They could get a modern version of their love story in a sense, just like the 90's with J&M and Bope. Longtime fans would be reminded of the special element of Steve and Kayla and new fans would be introduced to it. They would become endeared to them through that. You can't just put a couple on the canvas. You need to show the viewer why they are special. The upheaval kept the show from coming up with a steady throughline for them and you really have to rope fans early with this kind of stuff because, if enough time passes, fans just give up and don't care and I think that happened with Steve and Kayla. if things were different, I doubt many would see Steve and Kayla as expendable.
Excellent point about the 90's, that both J&M and Bo&Hope were brought back together then. The writers really did miss the boat on Steve & Kayla in so many ways. (Tanna too, for that matter.)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Nov 14 2008, 03:36 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 02:43 AM
Excellent point about the 90's, that both J&M and Bo&Hope were brought back together then. The writers really did miss the boat on Steve & Kayla in so many ways. (Tanna too, for that matter.)
See, Tanna I don't think are big enough to worry about in terms of impact. They have fans and all but I think they are more of a second-tier couple. They fit more as supporting. Both actors can be lead and carry a lead story but the couple itself is not as big as the big 3 couples right now IMO.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Steve and Kayla are missing in action, just like Anna/Tony.

I am absolutely appalled that actors like Nichols, Evans, Penghils and Hunley are shunned in favour of Molly "whatsherface" Burnett!

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Tough changes need to be made, and I think one of those tough choices is to write out Steve and Kayla. Give them a splashy send off, reflect on their past history. But the reality is they were gone too long to be brought back. 16 years had gone by and the had a whole new audience. And their return wasn't even "storyline dictated." When Dee returned after 4 years, it played right into the Roman and Isabella story. When Kristian returned, it played right into the Maison Blanche and, Bo and Billie story. There was a reason for those characters to be there. Steve and Kayla hadn't been really mentioned for years and there was no legitimate reason for them to be there. And I used to love them back in the day. But you can't bring characters back just for the sake of it. It bombs everytime.

naley12
Member Avatar

see I never new S&K I started watching in 1999 so when Steve and Kayla came back I knew nothing about them and still do not know much.

SKLover37

Steve and Kayla don't have any problem with their chemistry. They had it in the 80's and they still have it today. It's all the fact that the writers don't know these characters and don't seemingly want to do the research that they may need to do to learn about them. What we need is a writer/ writers who care about all the characters not just some of the characters and unfortunately the horrible writers we have at Days right now only seem to care about Sami and her screwed up life. I'm so sick of this being Days of Sami Brady's Life. This isn't a well balanced soap anymore. They need to bring the balance back if they want to see things turn around.

Just my opinion!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply