Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What have been the successful storylines; in the last couple of years?
Topic Started: Nov 11 2008, 09:25 PM (536 Views)
Ives
Member Avatar

In some other threads, I know people have commented how storylines for certain characters have "bombed" the last couple of years. I am curious what storylines people thought were successful in the last few years. I started watching Days again in Summer '06, and, to be honest, I can not really think of any storylines that I thought were particularly strong or compelling. I think a number of them started off with potential but none ever really carried through to the end.

I have not been a fan of any of the stories of the youngest crowd (touch the sky, sorority, Ford Decker. But I loved the introduction of Nick and the beginning of the Chick relationship. The fertility quad in '06 literally made me sick to watch with the way the whole invitro stuff was handled and I really felt like the actors were coasting. The Carrie, Austin, Lucas and Sami quad was equally lame - way repetitive. There have been aspects of the Ejami stuff I have liked but the writing overall has been so wishy washy and sometimes I feel Sami is so over exposed that I never really got fully into it as a whole.

I enjoyed the drama with the plane crash and the ensemble nature of those few weeks. I thought Bo's illness was pretty good - but not much good wrap up and a bit repetitve at times. Unfortunatelly, other than the Patrick and Chelsea's trial storyline, I don't think Bope had much other dedicated storylines.

I liked Stefano's and Tandre's return but I am not sure if that was really a storyline because it was so Sami and EJ focused and the writing for Stefano was somewhat erratic - but I really appreciated what Joe brought as an actor and his on screen charisma. Same for Thaao. And I thought there were some very compelling scenes relating to Benji's death but that was brushed aside quickly. I thought some aspects of the beginning of the Jawn storyline were good, including the Kiriakis conflict, but the wacky sci-fish stuff with the disc was really distracting and, frankly, I think the momentum of that storyline petered out and so many aspects were never followed up on.

I felt similar with the Steve brainwashing stuff. The tarot card was pretty distracting and the storyline as a whole went on too long (like all of the storylines at that time - like Shellle on the island). But there were aspects that were good in the sense we finally got learn a little bit about Steve's past, we learned the persistence and strength of Kayla's character, and Stephen and Mary Beth had some opportunities for some good material. And I loved most of the tension-filled scenes with EJ and Steve - I thought they had an interesting dynamic together. But the way it was dropped was so abrupt and disserviced the other parts of the storyline. I thought the stuff with Philip's baby that S&K were fostering could have developed into something interesting but that was also dropped.

So what did I like? I can't think of any overall storylines but I still enjoy the show at many times because I enjoy seeing great family scenes with realistic conflicts (love Kate's relationships with her sons, esp. now that she is not trying to constantly destroy Sami, EJ and Tony balancing their relationship with Stefano) and heartfelt moments where the characters draw you into a scene so you forget you are watching actors and you feel like you are right there (Kayla giving birth to premature Joe, Grandpa Shawn's death, Max talking with Caroline about being a Brady, Stephanie revealing her rape to her parents, Victor interacting with Bo when he was sick, Adrienne breaking Steve out of the mental hospital).

I have been hoping to find one new couple that I could really root for and invest in, but it hasn't really happened. IMO, there is something way more sensual and compelling about a slow build in a relationship where the couple overcomes great obstacles. The way that a lot of the younger characters seem to fall in and out of love a couple of times a year just is not that interesting to me. Maybe it would help to see more of the younger women in work settings or family storylines. At times, I feel like the younger women are defined by the man they are with at that time. Showing a more full view of their life may make them seem a bit less shallow.
Edited by Ives, Nov 11 2008, 09:34 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

The Salem Stalker was probably the last storyline that was loved by the vast majority of DAYS fans. There were those of us who hated it (myself definitely included), but we made up such a small minority that it was hardly noticeable.

Ives
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 11 2008, 09:40 PM
The Salem Stalker was probably the last storyline that was loved by the vast majority of DAYS fans. There were those of us who hated it (myself definitely included), but we made up such a small minority that it was hardly noticeable.
Have their been any storylines that you thought were particularly good in the last couple of years?

Mason
Member Avatar

I loved the Philip/Belle affair and John's death (although some would argue that the latter wasn't actually a storyline, I disagree).

six
Member Avatar

I can't think of any recent story where all the beats were played out from beginning to end, probably because there were so many writing teams being shuffled in and out. Here's some stuff I enjoyed, but that fizzled out or was mishandled. When was Zach killed? That story, and most of the aftermath was sad, but powerful. Same with John's death and the Brady/Dimera feud that was going on around the same time. Belle's affair and downfall in the Brady's eyes was good. The ejami story line started out great. Claire's kidnapping and subsequent mass trip to Irerland. Bo's illness and reconnection to the Kiriakis family.

Edit: Marlena learning to stand on her own after John died then getting him back, and trying to help him (and EJ's start at redemption along with it) started out good.
Edited by six, Nov 11 2008, 10:03 PM.

ArizonaDaze
Member Avatar

Well, Ives, I had high hopes for Steve and Kayla but that has fallen flat. I so wanted them to let us know how Steve went from being "killed" by Lawrence Alamain to being Stefano's captive. I thought John's "death" was really well done, although I thought he should have stayed dead as it opened up so much potential for Marlena and eventually her and Stefano as the scene between them after Bell's wedding showed, but, alas, nothing came of it either. It seems that everytime a story starts to hook me in, it is either poorly developed or completely forgotten. Sad isn't it.

☼ Jinx ☼
Member Avatar
Live. Love. Laugh. ♥

John's death was the last best storyline in my opinion followed by Zach's death! Aside from that, the Shawn and Belle runaway with Claire was good at first but dragged on too long. Like Mason, the Belle and Phillip affair, was mediocre at best!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply