Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC, Sony pick up shorter 'Days'; Forecast looking grim for veteran soap
Topic Started: Nov 11 2008, 11:05 PM (6,411 Views)
Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Variety.com

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER
The Peacock currently shells out $1.7 million-$1.8 million a week in licensing fees for its longtime sudser 'Days of Our Lives.'

NBC has inked a deal with Sony Pictures TV to extend its run of daytime sudser "Days of Our Lives."
But in a sign of uncertain times for the daytime soap biz, the Peacock's pickup runs just 18 months. The previous renewal pact between Sony and Corday Prods. had a five-year term.

NBC's current deal for "Days of Our Lives" was set to expire in March, which means the new arrangement will keep the soap on the network only through September 2010.

Shortened renewal comes as the economics of daytime TV -- particularly soap operas -- continue to sour. NBC has gradually eliminated most of its daytime sudsers, most recently moving "Passions" to DirecTV (before eventually pulling the plug on that show altogether).

The reup also comes despite rumblings from NBC Universal topper Jeff Zucker a few years ago that "Days of Our Lives" might not be renewed at all. More recently, Zucker hasn't been as vocal about a "Days" cancellation, although the short renewal could signal that NBC's long-term daytime plans may not include sudsers.

It's unclear whether NBC also negotiated a reduced license fee for the show. The Peacock was most recently shelling out $1.7 million-$1.8 million a week for the show.

As part of the renewal it's understood that the show, led by exec producer Ken Corday, will be making some onscreen changes as well, including some cast shuffles.

Season-to-date "Days of Our Lives" is tied for third place in the daypart among women 18-49 and is tied as the No. 1 show in women 18-34.

SoapNet holds same-day repurposing rights for "Days," which is also available for download via Apple's iTunes.

The soap is celebrating its 43rd anniversary.
Edited by Nubia, Nov 11 2008, 11:06 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Wow, Nubia. Just wow........

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Wow is right. Only renewed for 18 months?

And those licensing fees are astronomical!

Kenny
Member Avatar

18 months? LoL

This is sad...

Days is really on its last legs.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Sounds like more firings are coming.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Sigh....18 months to plan a funeral.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

The P&G soaps are renewed on a yearly basis, so an 18 month renewal, while it looks bad, is really on par with the P&G renewals. However, this is NBC we're talking about, so they could just give it an extra 18 months to plan its funneral. Didn't they give Santa Barbara, SuBe, and Passions some extentions before they canceled them finally?

I suspect the budget was slashed greatly for DAYS though. Though the article doesn't know much about the financial stipulations, they did mention that some shuffling would be done. I expect more actors to be let go and limited use of some sets.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Nov 11 2008, 11:20 PM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Thanks Nubia!

Kenny
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 11 2008, 11:18 PM
The P&G soaps are renewed on a yearly basis, so an 18 month renewal, while it looks bad, is really on par with the P&G renewals.

I suspect the budget was slashed greatly for DAYS though. Though the article doesn't know much about the financial stipulations, they did mention that some shuffling would be done. I expect more actors to be let go and limited use of some sets.
I'm guessing that the entire show will be done from the Brady Pub now.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

OneBadKitty
Nov 11 2008, 11:12 PM
Wow is right. Only renewed for 18 months?

And those licensing fees are astronomical!
Agreed. We all know how broke NBC is so I'm sure they are going to pay a cheaper fee now.

Oh those veteran actors are gone.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 11 2008, 11:20 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 11 2008, 11:18 PM
The P&G soaps are renewed on a yearly basis, so an 18 month renewal, while it looks bad, is really on par with the P&G renewals.

I'm guessing that the entire show will be done from the Brady Pub now.
I rather see them turn into GL than watch that. LOL

LovingDays

maybe days of our lives will be on ABC i hope so or CBS its my favorite show

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

Rakesh198
Nov 11 2008, 11:20 PM

Oh those veteran actors are gone.
And we'll probably get more ex Passions actors to replace them....... :ermm:

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

I wish soaps would go back to 30 mins. Things would be so much better.

Days, GL, ATWT, and AMC need to go back to 30 mins.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

This isn't good. I can just hear those pink slips being given out. I wonder who will be the first in a slew of actors being released. I just hope they axe the right people.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

I bet SN, MBE, Thaao, and Leann are all in danger.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

^ As they should be. If the writers aren't going to write for them, get rid of them. They bring nothing to this show and they're just taking up space.

IMissAremid
Member Avatar
After all... tomorrow is another day!

Sadly, Drew, I agree. (At least sadly for me when it comes to Thaao and Leann) It's very apparent that this show, however much longer it lasts, is never going to give Tony and Anna a big story and never again give Steve and Kayla a big story.

LovingDays

stop putting negative things let hope Days of our lives survive JESUS

Mason
Member Avatar

Ohhh, fuck. This is bad.

Nichols, Evans, Penghlis, Hunley, and Mascolo are all gone, I bet.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply