Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC, Sony pick up shorter 'Days'; Forecast looking grim for veteran soap
Topic Started: Nov 11 2008, 11:05 PM (6,174 Views)
Fabled Shadow

Mason
Nov 11 2008, 11:45 PM
Rick
Nov 11 2008, 11:43 PM
Oh yeah

I'm glad this is finally confirmed because it seemed that people didn't believe our source when we reported this over a month ago LOL
I thought that, according to that report, DAYS had been renewed for two years?

This was DR's original post and it looks like they were right on :)

Quote:

DAYS FANS REJOICE!

Days of Our Lives has been renewed!

An inside source has revealed exclusively to Daytime Royalty that NBC and Sony have worked out a 2 year deal that will keep "Days Of Our Lives," NBC's longest-running daytime drama, on the air through May 2011. No details of the deal or when the announcement will be made public, but expect it very soon.

The show will celebrate its 43rd anniversary on Nomember 8, 2008.

Congratulations to the cast and crew!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar

well, not "right on", there's two conflicting dates right there. This source just did not have all the facts.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

We were 6-7 months off but like I said before, We received the news late September so now I'm assuming they meant it was going to be on the air for 2 more years. (Sept08-Sept10) instead of a 2 year pick up.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

If cast cuts are coming then I bet they cut Bryan Datillo and Nadia Bjorlin. Their story already has the potential to be wrapped up as a couple riding off into the sunset. We know they didn't bring Brady back to pair him with Chloe - Nadia confirmed that already.

Phillip's story seems to be with Melanie and Stephanie now - Chloe's going to be 4th wheel to that??? I guess she could be stuck in with Dr. Dan and his mess but if they are trying to make cast cuts, it just makes sense to get rid of her and Bryan.

Neither of them are very expressive actors who can pull off a meaty scene and they don't hardly let Nadia do what she does best which is sing.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

No offense to the DR and the source but, I think they got it wrong. I think this deal was made recently. Someone from FL won a trip to the Days studio a while and she spoke to someone lady who is in charge on Days(I forgot her name) and she said the show wasn't renewed at all. Plus, Michael Fairman even said the same thing.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Rick
Nov 12 2008, 12:04 AM
We were 6-7 months off but like I said before, We received the news late September so now I'm assuming they meant it was going to be on the air for 2 more years. (Sept08-Sept10) instead of a 2 year pick up.
Oh okay.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

I'm actually eating a crow sandwich right now(told you I would). I really thought it would be over for the show.

I think DAYS' only chance of survival or to even look remotely attractive to any other network or cabler is to drastically cut costs all across the board and really invest in some kind of revamp.

It would be great to have an Ellen Wheeler type do for DAYS what she initially did for GL(before the format change). Wheeler was great at cutting costs, evaluating who was most important to story, and taking risks that paid off and even at one point, garnered the show a 2.4 or 2.6(forget which one it was, but it was before ABC plummeted and went into major freefall).

DAYS' biggest problem is that it's boring as hell. I watched the show Monday and when "the Obamas meet the Bush family" interrupted the show, I didn't even care that much. That's a problem.

When I started watching DAYS, every single scene had this sense of urgency, this "Don't go anywhere. It's too important to MISS THIS. You better sit through these Tampax and Snackwells commercials or you'll miss the next act." I don't get that feeling anymore. Everything is so lukewarm. I suspect Dena Higley has a lot to do with this, because she writes story beats in a very underwhelming tone. Odd considering she worked for years with the anti-underwhelming, Jimmy Reilly.

I don't think we need a possessed Marlena, but I do think the show needs to do something to keep its audience and its critics constantly on their toes. As Ellen Wheeler proves, you don't need a big budget and lots of stars to get ratings gains, even if they are short-lived. You need a good story and solid, compelling episodes.

Gary Tomlin is notorious for his camp style of directing, writing, and production. Where is that kind of stuff on DAYS? I thought this show would be a wet dream for him. Daydreams galore, scantily clad women and men, tasteless stories involving turkey basters and horror movie ripoffs?

If DAYS stays true to cutting costs while at the same time, keeping their ratings solid and showing bumps every now and again, I think it has a future on NBC or another network. And no, I'm not a fanboy. I haven't been a fan of DAYS in, like, forever. But, all you have to do is look at the signs:

-Ending in 2010.
-PGP/Telenext Shows ATWT and GL getting yearly renewals.
-SONY powerhouse Steve Kent overseeing the daytime properties.

If Steve Kent's job is to make sure SONY profits from their daytime investments, I see him doing whatever he can to fight for DAYS' renewal, the way they have this time around. Because their future looked mighty grim at NBC pre-renewal.

But if fans want a DAYS past 2010, they better get ready for massive firings, smaller sets, and lots of cuts. And a lot of people staying in the Horton house or a hotel room. Their only shot at renewal beyond that is showing CBS or another network that they can bring in the younger viewer AND cut costs. But that might also mean REALLY getting rid of one or two of "the big four"(Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I don't see how this is bad, except for more cuts coming.

Most were only expecting a one year pick up so 18 months is better then that. It also gives the show time to find a new home or to get numbers up to get another renewal.

I understand wanting to be realistic but let's not bury the show yet. I'm a proponent for a smaller cast anyway. It makes it easier on everyone and you can do more character stuff.

I've known they would be renewed for awhile and, while I don't normally do this, I'm going to refer to some info someone provided me with in confidence. I can't go specific to maintain that confidence but I can tell you that you will see a ton of people going recurring, the big 4 (Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian) taking major cuts in airtime and salary, and some big names being fired. I think Days knew this was coming, hence why they are focusing on the people they are now. I think Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena will be the only active vets left. There are a ton of contracts up next year so it should be a massacre.

Thaoo and LeAnn are as good as gone. Peggy and Suzanne will likely go recurring. SN and MBE are goners. I also think they may can Bryan Dattilo. Mascolo...it all depends. They may give him one last hurrah and then can him. I can see Jim Reynolds going recurring and Jones staying on contract.

I can also see Corday going back to his idea in 2007, which was to retool the show completely. If he does that, he better bring Belle and Shawn back. I think in many ways he's building to that now by focusing on who they are focusing on. The show is doing ok numbers-wise without the vets lately so they have reason to go there now. They should've veered away from relying too heavily on the vets years ago.

I think Days still has options. They just need to retool and make the right cuts and present themselves as a viable show for potential suitors or even for NBC. Many never expected them to get renewed a few years ago and here they are so anything is possible.

Drew
Member Avatar

Ya know, the writing has been on the wall for Days for a long time. Whatever the future for american soaps, I dont see it including Days of Our Lives. The audience is not there for 7.5 hrs of soaps per day. Whats left of a soap audience is fading fast. I could easily see in a decade being down to 3 or 4.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IHeartDRRick
Nov 12 2008, 12:13 AM
I'm actually eating a crow sandwich right now(told you I would). I really thought it would be over for the show.

I think DAYS' only chance of survival or to even look remotely attractive to any other network or cabler is to drastically cut costs all across the board and really invest in some kind of revamp.

It would be great to have an Ellen Wheeler type do for DAYS what she initially did for GL(before the format change). Wheeler was great at cutting costs, evaluating who was most important to story, and taking risks that paid off and even at one point, garnered the show a 2.4 or 2.6(forget which one it was, but it was before ABC plummeted and went into major freefall).

DAYS' biggest problem is that it's boring as hell. I watched the show Monday and when "the Obamas meet the Bush family" interrupted the show, I didn't even care that much. That's a problem.

When I started watching DAYS, every single scene had this sense of urgency, this "Don't go anywhere. It's too important to MISS THIS. You better sit through these Tampax and Snackwells commercials or you'll miss the next act." I don't get that feeling anymore. Everything is so lukewarm. I suspect Dena Higley has a lot to do with this, because she writes story beats in a very underwhelming tone. Odd considering she worked for years with the anti-underwhelming, Jimmy Reilly.

I don't think we need a possessed Marlena, but I do think the show needs to do something to keep its audience and its critics constantly on their toes. As Ellen Wheeler proves, you don't need a big budget and lots of stars to get ratings gains, even if they are short-lived. You need a good story and solid, compelling episodes.

Gary Tomlin is notorious for his camp style of directing, writing, and production. Where is that kind of stuff on DAYS? I thought this show would be a wet dream for him. Daydreams galore, scantily clad women and men, tasteless stories involving turkey basters and horror movie ripoffs?

If DAYS stays true to cutting costs while at the same time, keeping their ratings solid and showing bumps every now and again, I think it has a future on NBC or another network. And no, I'm not a fanboy. I haven't been a fan of DAYS in, like, forever. But, all you have to do is look at the signs:

-Ending in 2010.
-PGP/Telenext Shows ATWT and GL getting yearly renewals.
-SONY powerhouse Steve Kent overseeing the daytime properties.

If Steve Kent's job is to make sure SONY profits from their daytime investments, I see him doing whatever he can to fight for DAYS' renewal, the way they have this time around. Because their future looked mighty grim at NBC pre-renewal.

But if fans want a DAYS past 2010, they better get ready for massive firings, smaller sets, and lots of cuts. And a lot of people staying in the Horton house or a hotel room. Their only shot at renewal beyond that is showing CBS or another network that they can bring in the younger viewer AND cut costs. But that might also mean REALLY getting rid of one or two of "the big four"(Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian).
I agree.

I think SONY went nuts on NBC after that debacle in 2007 after Passions got canned. Sony was said to be very angry about that. Sony still views Days as a viable business and that is why I think Days has more life in it beyond 2010. As long as it draws good in demos (especially young demos) and pulls in an audience and makes money, it will be fine. It can really up it's chances by retooling a bit and making some cast cuts.

One thing lost in all this is the September 10th date....two months from the show's 45th anniversary. I really wish the show could get past that at least but that date is in tune with the Fall season so it makes it easier to replace.

I think NBC is in such disarray right now that they just did not have the time to focus on replacing Days and it's better numbers in the past year helped. That and it promotes NBC shows and causes so I think that helps.

Mason

No matter how bad it gets, I really don't believe that any of the Big 4 will be cut. They're DAYS's bread and butter, and even if it means having to fire more cast members, I think Corday will keep them on.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Anyone see the DAYS promos that aired tonight during TBL? I was shocked to actually see a primetime promo spot.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Quote:

...you will see a ton of people going recurring, the big 4 (Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian) taking major cuts in airtime and salary, and some big names being fired...I think Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena will be the only active vets left. There are a ton of contracts up next year so it should be a massacre.

Screw taking a paycut. This is a business. One or two of those big four should have been fired two or three years ago. And I would be very surprised if it doesn't happen this time around.

Don't mean to piss anyone off(especially you, Phoenix, I know you are DAYS' biggest cheerleader), but DAYS has got to radically change its identity to stay on the air. And not promise to do it once every year(like they did with the Stalker Story Reilly wrote for them or with John's death last year) and then back out because the ratings take a dip one week. Something has to change part of the show's core, but at the same time, bring in those younger viewers who like to watch the show.

Quote:

I can also see Corday going back to his idea in 2007, which was to retool the show completely. If he does that, he better bring Belle and Shawn back. I think in many ways he's building to that now by focusing on who they are focusing on. The show is doing ok numbers-wise without the vets lately so they have reason to go there now. They should've veered away from relying too heavily on the vets years ago.

When was this? Seems like the same ole complacent DAYS to me. Too afraid to piss off or alienate its fanbase. Too afraid to make the tough decisions necessary to stay on the air or still stay relevant.
Edited by bellcurve, Nov 12 2008, 12:27 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

^They've been doing that, Rick.

Usually, it's shorter then the promo on the website but I've been seeing promos in primetime since last Fall. Not necessarily every night but pretty consistently.

I do agree with Mason. I think the big 4 will remain in some capacity. Bo and Hope are definitely safe for sure.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 12:26 AM

Usually, it's shorter then the promo on the website but I've been seeing promos in primetime since last Fall. Not necessarily every night but pretty consistently.

I do agree with Mason. I think the big 4 will remain in some capacity. Bo and Hope are definitely safe for sure.
haha

I guess that shows how much NBC Primetime I watch :laugh:

zyona

I wonder what will happen to LK her contract is over in Jan 09. Ok I can see why they need Brady, but why Rafe? They can give him a rid slip along Melanie, Max, Stephanie, and Chloe oh I forgot Roman; it is not like he has a story line. We don't need to see Sami all the time; she can take a long maternity vacation maybe until Sep 2010.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

IHeartDRRick
Nov 12 2008, 12:25 AM
Quote:

...you will see a ton of people going recurring, the big 4 (Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian) taking major cuts in airtime and salary, and some big names being fired...I think Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena will be the only active vets left. There are a ton of contracts up next year so it should be a massacre.

Screw taking a paycut. This is a business. One or two of those big four should have been fired two or three years ago. And I would be very surprised if it doesn't happen this time around.

Don't mean to piss anyone off(especially you, Phoenix, I know you are DAYS' biggest cheerleader), but DAYS has got to radically change its identity to stay on the air. And not promise to do it once every year(like they did with the Stalker Story Reilly wrote for them or with John's death last year) and then back out because the ratings take a dip one week. Something has to change part of the show's core, but at the same time, bring in those younger viewers who like to watch the show.

Quote:

When was this? Seems like the same ole complacent DAYS to me. Too afraid to piss off or alienate its fanbase. Too afraid to make the tough decisions necessary to stay on the air or still stay relevant.
Oh, your not pissing me off at all.

I advocated for a major change all of 2007 when the vets were pushed to supporting. This show needed to break from relying on the same old faces years ago. That is why things get so boring. You can only go so far on the same characters.

My suggestion would be to move the big 4 to supporting roles. I don't think you have to fire them but make them supporting and let the next generation take over. I think you bring back Belle at least and maybe Shawn and let them help carry the show. These other characters are ready, I think. Maybe they need a bit more development but you can do that right now.

I also think it will have to do something radical to make a big splash once it makes the cast changes. That way it wakes people up to what is going on.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rick
Nov 12 2008, 12:27 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 12:26 AM

haha

I guess that shows how much NBC Primetime I watch :laugh:
I don't watch much either. Basically just 30 Rock, ER, and late night.

I know people that do and they are usually people that watch Days along with me. That is usually how they see the Days promo and then they ask me if I saw it and I tell them I watch it online days before them :laugh: .

bellcurve
Member Avatar

They still have all of these older castmembers on the show, regardless of if they are working without a contract. In the show I watched Monday, they had the so called "important" cast members, Bo and Hope, as second tier to some lameduck mystery. I know, I know, you guys are gonna rip into me and say, "You don't watch the show everyday." True, but at the same time, what if a new viewer, flipping the channel, pissed about Todd/Marty sex or Luke/Noah, tuned the channel to DAYS? The one time to really grab that viewer(who could be an 18-49 female with a Nielsen Box or Diary), and you've got your star power playing second fiddle? You've got your hottest actresses locked up(either in prison or in a bathroom)? Where are the schemes, the lies, the manipulations?

I hope they get rid of Dena as part of this renewal package. This kind of stuff has her written all over it. Tomlin and Whitesell would have really camped this bitch up by now and made it somewhat interesting.

ETA: Thinking that Phoenix replied "They've been..." to me.
Edited by bellcurve, Nov 12 2008, 12:35 AM.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

Oh yeah - Dena needs to go. I want her gone by the end of this year.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply