Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NBC, Sony pick up shorter 'Days'; Forecast looking grim for veteran soap
Topic Started: Nov 11 2008, 11:05 PM (6,372 Views)
jane1978

I really think some people are unbeliavably biased here. The show is NOT boring. And it feels most planned it was in months. Yes, the vets are not on much right now and thatīs sad but I donīt understand how there is still anyone who believes that could change with a different writer. NBC is the one who dictates what kind of show they want to air and what kind of audience they want to attract. Based on that, Gary Tomlin looks at budget and decides what characters are meeting the demands, and how expensive and popular they are. And after all this Dena or whoever else is simply told who can have the leading story, who can be used as support and who she has to keep in a limbo.

Even if Sheri Anderson would be hired tomorrow she would still have to meet the same demands. And be honest, even if she wrote her best story ever most of people here would still be angry and wanted her gone simply because the main characters in the story are Melanie, Max, Steph or whoever else from this gang.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

To be honest, I don't even know how much longer NBC itself is going to be around. I know it sounds too preposterous to happen, but times they are a-changin'. I think NBC will be the first network of the big three (four if you include FOX) to fall.

King
Member Avatar

I agree, jane. I don't think the show is boring. I think it's just filled with characters the majority of fans don't care about.

And I thank !!!!!HOGAN!!!!! for that.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

phloeishot
Nov 12 2008, 11:09 AM
Rakesh198
Nov 12 2008, 09:49 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 03:13 AM

To those who want Dena gone, why don't you do what OLTL fans did? They organized and signed a petition in response to Slezak's comments. If people band together and launch a full-on assault, it will be too hard not to ignore. By that I mean hit the show through email, phone, snail mail, etc. Make sure you send all that stuff to the producers, network, Sony, and the cast. Post on the NBC.com boards in great numbers so much it can't be ignored. Post in Dena's blog as a group repeatedly calling for her ouster. Hell, do the same on actor sites and blogs. Write to the magazines constantly, bombard their emails, try to get into one of their fan features where the fan voices their opinion. A full on assault can succeed. I would be willing to participate, even if I'm against the notion.
Oh I was thinking of organizing a campaign for that. LOL
If you do start a petition make sure to post it here and I'll post it on other DOOL couples boards.
I was thinking of an actual campaign - We need to get creative and start something good. Send postcards out and stuff like that. We will need all fans to come together for this one. BUT, I'm scared to do it. LOL I dont want to be blame if Dena gets fired. LOL

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

phloeishot
Rakesh198
PhoenixRising05

To those who want Dena gone, why don't you do what OLTL fans did? They organized and signed a petition in response to Slezak's comments. If people band together and launch a full-on assault, it will be too hard not to ignore. By that I mean hit the show through email, phone, snail mail, etc. Make sure you send all that stuff to the producers, network, Sony, and the cast. Post on the NBC.com boards in great numbers so much it can't be ignored. Post in Dena's blog as a group repeatedly calling for her ouster. Hell, do the same on actor sites and blogs. Write to the magazines constantly, bombard their emails, try to get into one of their fan features where the fan voices their opinion. A full on assault can succeed. I would be willing to participate, even if I'm against the notion.
If you do start a petition make sure to post it here and I'll post it on other DOOL couples boards.
I'm not starting it. All the people that have been complaining about Higley for months should. I don't feel she should go right now so why should I start it? I'm willing to help and even sign it just for the sake of unity but someone else will have to get the ball rolling.

I mean, fans can channel their energy unto actually doing something about Higley rather then complaining on a daily basis about her, which gets nothing accomplished. If you want her gone, do something about it. It can be effective.

And, Jane, FANTASTIC post. You summed it up perfectly.

Mason
Member Avatar

jane1978
I really think some people are unbeliavably biased here. The show is NOT boring.

Um, that's a matter of opinion, and for a great many of us, YES, it IS boring, and it has nothing to do with any so-called 'bias' as hard as that may be for you to comprehend.

FanODays

King
Nov 12 2008, 11:13 AM
To be honest, I don't even know how much longer NBC itself is going to be around. I know it sounds too preposterous to happen, but times they are a-changin'. I think NBC will be the first network of the big three (four if you include FOX) to fall.
You may be right because the internet is quickly becoming the medium through which shows are watched. I know I can hook up my computer to the TV and watch something from the net.

I can see it now, Google buys NBC in 2011.

Rakesh198
Member Avatar

jane1978
I really think some people are unbeliavably biased here. The show is NOT boring. And it feels most planned it was in months. Yes, the vets are not on much right now and thatīs sad but I donīt understand how there is still anyone who believes that could change with a different writer. NBC is the one who dictates what kind of show they want to air and what kind of audience they want to attract. Based on that, Gary Tomlin looks at budget and decides what characters are meeting the demands, and how expensive and popular they are. And after all this Dena or whoever else is simply told who can have the leading story, who can be used as support and who she has to keep in a limbo.

Even if Sheri Anderson would be hired tomorrow she would still have to meet the same demands. And be honest, even if she wrote her best story ever most of people here would still be angry and wanted her gone simply because the main characters in the story are Melanie, Max, Steph or whoever else from this gang.

The show IS boring to me - This isn't the Days I know. I haven't seen a full episode of Days in MONTHS. I cannot get into this junk. Thank God I have OLTL for my 2PM time slot.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Rakesh198
Nov 12 2008, 11:16 AM
phloeishot
Rakesh198
PhoenixRising05

I was thinking of an actual campaign - We need to get creative and start something good. Send postcards out and stuff like that. We will need all fans to come together for this one. BUT, I'm scared to do it. LOL I dont want to be blame if Dena gets fired. LOL
Exactly.

Rakesh has the right idea. Start as thread or something and get the ball rolling. I will help but I'm not leading the charge.

I do think King is on to something. With the way NBC is bleeding money and being handled, I can see the network just collapsing completely. It's shocking to think about but things do not seem to be getting better for them. I do have to disagree that it's all Hogan's fault about the new characters. Hogan's new characters are gone outside of Nick. Higley brought on Daniel, Melanie, Rafe, etc. I don't mind bringing new people on but Higley has been responsible for it for the most part.

King
Member Avatar

NBC is definitely on its way to being gone...whether or not they improve I don't know...

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Mason
Nov 12 2008, 11:17 AM
jane1978
I really think some people are unbeliavably biased here. The show is NOT boring.

Um, that's a matter of opinion, and for a great many of us, YES, it IS boring, and it has nothing to do with any so-called 'bias' as hard as that may be for you to comprehend.
In Jane's defense, I think she is responding to the notion that things are not happening on the show when they actually are. i think King's post alludes to it too. It's just that people are not interested in those things that are happening or the characters involved. I don't she is trying to devalue anyone's opinion. She's just pointing out that some act like nothing happens when it does. This is not Higley 2003. It's not perfect but there are actual stories that are moving. Whether you like those stories or the characters featured is another story. If you don't, it's entirely your right and I respect that.

zyona

PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 11:19 AM
Rakesh198
phloeishot
Rakesh198
PhoenixRising05

Exactly.

Rakesh has the right idea. Start as thread or something and get the ball rolling. I will help but I'm not leading the charge.

I do think King is on to something. With the way NBC is bleeding money and being handled, I can see the network just collapsing completely. It's shocking to think about but things do not seem to be getting better for them. I do have to disagree that it's all Hogan's fault about the new characters. Hogan's new characters are gone outside of Nick. Higley brought on Daniel, Melanie, Rafe, etc. I don't mind bringing new people on but Higley has been responsible for it for the most part.
I think the petition idea is great, and i don't think you will have a problem finding somebody to lead since a lot of us wants Dena out.

About Dena being responsible for the hire of Daniel,Melanie and Rafe, out of these three the only good actor is Daniel. The rest should go, or i hope they do and please let sami have a long maternity leave.

King
Member Avatar

I don't care about:

Nick
Chelsea
Sami
EJ
Lucas
Philip
Steve
Kayla

Why?? HOGAN! Not Higley.

zyona

PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 11:19 AM
Rakesh198
phloeishot
Rakesh198
PhoenixRising05
<br /><br />To those who want Dena gone, why don't you do what OLTL fans did? They organized and signed a petition in response to Slezak's comments. If people band together and launch a full-on assault, it will be too hard not to ignore. By that I mean hit the show through email, phone, snail mail, etc. Make sure you send all that stuff to the producers, network, Sony, and the cast. Post on the NBC.com boards in great numbers so much it can't be ignored. Post in Dena's blog as a group repeatedly calling for her ouster. Hell, do the same on actor sites and blogs. Write to the magazines constantly, bombard their emails, try to get into one of their fan features where the fan voices their opinion. A full on assault can succeed. I would be willing to participate, even if I'm against the notion.
Exactly.<br /><br />Rakesh has the right idea. Start as thread or something and get the ball rolling. I will help but I'm not leading the charge. <br /><br />I do think King is on to something. With the way NBC is bleeding money and being handled, I can see the network just collapsing completely. It's shocking to think about but things do not seem to be getting better for them. I do have to disagree that it's all Hogan's fault about the new characters. Hogan's new characters are gone outside of Nick. Higley brought on Daniel, Melanie, Rafe, etc. I don't mind bringing new people on but Higley has been responsible for it for the most part.
I think the petition idea is great, and i don't think you will have a problem finding somebody to lead since a lot of us wants Dena out.

About Dena being responsible for the hire of Daniel,Melanie and Rafe, out of these three the only good actor is Daniel. The rest should go, or i hope they do and please let sami have a long maternity leave.

esp13
Member Avatar

jane1978
I really think some people are unbeliavably biased here. The show is NOT boring. And it feels most planned it was in months. Yes, the vets are not on much right now and thatīs sad but I donīt understand how there is still anyone who believes that could change with a different writer.
With all due respect, whether the show is boring or not is a matter of opinion, not fact. I'm glad that you find it enjoyable and entertaining, that's fantastic. But, many of us do not and it's not about being biased against Dena Higley. I was a huge Hogan fan, but totally wanted Dena to succeed because I wanted the show to succeed. But, with the exception of the plane crash, I've found her writing to be generally poor. And it's not about my favorites either. There was a time during Hogan's tenure when my favorites were heavily backburned and while I did not like that, I was loving the show. So, I'm not somebody that only likes the show based on my favorites.

I understand what it's like to find the show enjoyable when everybody else is bitching about it. Remember, I liked Hogan's writing. But, the fact that I liked it didn't make everybody else wrong with their criticism. And, with more seperation from that time period, I've even come to agree with a lot of it.

I believe that things could change (could, not would) with a different writer because I think a different writer could provide a lot of depth that is missing right now. You see, it's not really about "who" is being utilized right now, it's about how badly I feel the stories are written. Motivations are missing or are badly established. Stories are changed midstream multiple times so that the stuff at the beginning no longer matches the stuff at the end. There is very little depth to the characters anymore, in my opinion. To me, those things are not dictated by demographics, they are solely a function of the writing and yeah, I believe somebody could do better. But, like everything else, that's a matter of opinion as well.

Days4Life

Mason
jane1978

Well, I don't think I'm biased, but this week I've been bored. Overall, the show has some good stuff going on, but some of the daily episodes are snoozeworthy. Like Nicole--it seems like she's been in that orange jumpsuit forever. I know she hasn't, it's been just a week or two, but because she and EJ continue to have the same boring conversation, it feels longer. And I like Nicole and EJ so I'm not biased against them. I like Melanie, but she's been on too much and the hair flipping, grinding her teeth thing is driving me crazy. If she didn't get so much air time, I probably wouldn't notice so much. I liked Sami's WP story until Rafe came along, but now they are boring me. A whole episode of Sami sitting in the bathroom with no clothes....seriously? He was watching TV--why didn't she wrap the shower curtain around her and march out to grab her clothes? I'm no fan of Higley's, but I've said several times over the last few months that she was doing a good job. If the show's good, I have no problem with giving her credit for it; however, when the show is boring me, I'll give her the blame, too.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Rakesh198
Nov 12 2008, 09:43 AM
IHeartDRRick
Nov 12 2008, 02:24 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 02:16 AM
Be careful about making Tomlin a co-HW. I don't like EP's doing both. Too much power (LML, anyone?). I get that Tomlin has wrote before but still.
In fairness, Gary Tomlin, regardless of if he is listed or not, has ALWAYS had a hand in developing stories for the show he EPs. He did with both BEACH and OLTL. Even though he has HWs, they are mainly there to write and execute some of his vision.

Tomlin loves soaps. He believes in soaps as a collaborative effort. A campy collaborative effort, but nonetheless. He's no power hungry, eco-friendly power tripping whore like Lynn Marie Lethal or the "event" planner, Dena Hackley.
What about the shows he directed? :laugh:
Has he directed episodes of DAYS? If he has, then that still doesn't make him a power-tripper. It just makes him someone who wants to do the occasional directing, because he has the eye for it. It's not as if he's directing three or four shows a week.

Believe what you want: As I said earlier, Tomlin believes in soaps as being a collaborative effort.

I say they should still fire one or two of the big four. They really need something to shakeup this show permanently, instead of going back on their word.

Loretta3938
Member Avatar

I am not disappointed that Days only got an 18 month extension. In these trying times of poor ratings for all the soaps...that much of an extension looks good to me. After all, Days is the last soap on NBC...ABC still has three and CBS has four. I'm sure they thought about ditching the show and getting out of the soap business, but with the amount of competition on the other networks, maybe they realized they couldn't compete with those soaps without a soap of their own. How many of us would have held steadfast to NBC for whatever appeared in the place of Days if they had canceled it? Of course not many of us would...if we're soap fans. We would run to the nearest soap on ABC or CBS and fill that hour with something else soapy. They may want out of the soap business...but not enough to jeopardize their ideals of daytime to other networks. I expect 18 months will give them try to reaccess the soap climate and how much competition they will have on the other networks for Days. If other soaps start dropping in the meantime...GL, AMC, OLTL, ATWT...then they may feel more like taking the plunge and get rid of Days. That is just my opinion, but the worst thing that could happen is the domino effect that might occur if one of the other soaps falls during the next year or so.

Loretta

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 11:07 AM
ladyofthelake
Nov 12 2008, 08:40 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 12 2008, 12:15 AM
I don't see how this is bad, except for more cuts coming.

Most were only expecting a one year pick up so 18 months is better then that. It also gives the show time to find a new home or to get numbers up to get another renewal.

I understand wanting to be realistic but let's not bury the show yet. I'm a proponent for a smaller cast anyway. It makes it easier on everyone and you can do more character stuff.

I've known they would be renewed for awhile and, while I don't normally do this, I'm going to refer to some info someone provided me with in confidence. I can't go specific to maintain that confidence but I can tell you that you will see a ton of people going recurring, the big 4 (Drake, Dee, Peter, Kristian) taking major cuts in airtime and salary, and some big names being fired. I think Days knew this was coming, hence why they are focusing on the people they are now. I think Bo, Hope, John, and Marlena will be the only active vets left. There are a ton of contracts up next year so it should be a massacre.

Thaoo and LeAnn are as good as gone. Peggy and Suzanne will likely go recurring. SN and MBE are goners. I also think they may can Bryan Dattilo. Mascolo...it all depends. They may give him one last hurrah and then can him. I can see Jim Reynolds going recurring and Jones staying on contract.

I can also see Corday going back to his idea in 2007, which was to retool the show completely. If he does that, he better bring Belle and Shawn back. I think in many ways he's building to that now by focusing on who they are focusing on. The show is doing ok numbers-wise without the vets lately so they have reason to go there now. They should've veered away from relying too heavily on the vets years ago.

I think Days still has options. They just need to retool and make the right cuts and present themselves as a viable show for potential suitors or even for NBC. Many never expected them to get renewed a few years ago and here they are so anything is possible.
If they are making massive cuts, why the heck would they bring Shawn and Belle back? Every time they do that, it pisses people off that their favorites get cut, only to bring on others.
Because if you are going to retool, you need one or both of them and I doubt that decision will have much backlash at all. This is especially true if you get rid of some of the young cast. These two can lead the show, if need me. I trust them to lead more then Sami and whoever her love interest is (although James Scott can lead IMO).

I do agree with the sentiment that you want the show to go out on a good note but I just think it would irresponsible of the show to start changing the writing situation now when they just now stabilized everything, started building stories, and have everything in order. It's bad enough they are going to have to cut cast. That will be upheaval enough. I think Higley can wait at least through the holidays. Those that want her gone, launch a campaign. Seriously, it's been months and months of complaints that maybe could do something if the appropriate channels were used. It's not like Days reads this board. Maybe the actors do but I digress. If you mobilize in big numbers and hit every avenue out there hard (so much so it can't be avoided), then you can get her out. The key is to prevent a united front and not let selfish interests get in the way. Bombard the show and cast with emails, calls,, and snail mail. Bombard the network and Sony with it too. Go to the NBC.com boards and Dena's blog and post repeatedly in them with a full on assault geared toward getting rid of her. Hit the magazines hard and maybe even get into one of the fan features. I saw fans mobilize for oLTL and oust her, the same can happen here. Fans just have to unite and make it impossible to ignore their plight.

I actually feel comfortable with Higley if she must write the show ending. She does know the show and I think as long as Corday is there, it will be a somewhat respectable ending but I can't disagree with the notion that someone can do it better, most likely. However, anything is possible and I don't think the show should concede failure. Not when it's doing better numbers-wise and not when a year or so ago it was assumed it wouldn't last and here it is, with another renewal. Plus, NBC did put in an option to keep it even longer if the show performs so that shows if Days produces, it can last. Right now, it's numbers are improving so who knows. Sony is in the show's corner too and I do believe the show can find another home if it comes to that.

I think it's easy to say the show needs to start planning it's end but it has no reason to. Not yet at least. I think that shouldn't even be in consideration until next December if things are looking bleak. Then I think you set up 2010 as a year to end things right but also keep things open if the show remains or ends up elsewhere.
No, please, not another writer change. Thatīs the worst thing the show could do. For the first time in years we have a team who seems to be comfortable with each other and as I said I really donīt think the problem with people here are the stories, the problem are the characters who are leading them and no HW will change that. I think the show should continue in this direction. Write the best stories possible for the characters they can afford. Stop the suiciding Cordayīs tactic which is put the vets on for a few months to save ratings, drain the budget in the process and next have a show full of characters most of people never had a chance to start care about and full of angry viewers who were lured back with the promise the vets will be front and active again.

I loved the pictures of Phil, Steph and Mel in the Titan because thatīs exactly what the show needs to do with them. Stop the afterscholl special, if the show wants them to be lead they need to be put in the real grownup stories too, not spend most of the time discussing boyfriends in Brady Pub. The show needs to stop lie. They need to face the viewers and say THIS IS NOW THE SHOW, take or leave. We will still give you vets here and there but those are characters we want you to care about, those are characters will be most on, those are characters we will write the best stories possible to keep you entertained.

This sweeps is the first attempt. Itīs the first time the show decided to not bet on the vet power and go full steam with the next generation. And I think it was very smart thing to do because itīs like a big statement, an ad finally showing these characters as important and not some filler stuff till the real story starts again. Maybe it will not work and the show will be canceled anyway. But atleast it wll be honest and the show can finally evolve on daily basis.

jane1978

Mason
jane1978

Oh, Iīm sorry. Itīs IMO of course.

At the end itīs not me, itīs not you and itīs not anybody on DAYS boards who decides if the show is boring or not, no matter how much posts we will make about it. Reading the boards sometime I feel itīs full of hardcore fans who discuss but not watch, so maybe there is another group of people who watches but is not passionate enough to discuss. And maybe they are enjoying the show.

All what maters are ratings and demos.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply