Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A closer look, John
Topic Started: Nov 13 2008, 09:10 AM (1,297 Views)
Jonatha

Please link to DR:

It could be curtains for Marlena when she comes face to face with the mayor's killer. John comes to the rescue and Drake Hogestyn previews the action.

SOW: Even though John and Marlena are divorced, he obviously still has protective feelings for her. Right?

DH: He's got something. Some instincts. Some feelings. Although it has to be indicated a little bit more in the writing.

SOW: Does Marlena indicate what her feelings are towards him, now that their no longer married?

DH: Marlena tells John (a divorce) isn't what she wanted, but it's the way it has to be, because John's a crackpot and he scares her.

SOW: Yet she still turns to John in times of trouble. How does Marlena end up telling him about Sami's situation?

DH: Marlena mentions not knowing what to do. She doesn't want to go back home. She says Sami's (not in town). John asks where she is, and Marlena tells him Sami is in witness protection.

SOW: John realizes it's because Sami saw the mayor's killer. Does he offer Marlena any help?

DH: Yes. John says, "Maybe I can do something." He decides to hire a PI to find the killer.

SOW: Later, John tells Roman about his plans, then accuses him of doing it to get Marlena back. Is he right?

DH: John is doing it for Marlena.

SOW: Despite his brainwashing, the one thing John remembers is playing the hero, isn't it?

DH: Well, it's survival instinct, and John is equipped to take care of himself. That's part of the programming, just to get the job done in the most efficient way, in an almost machine like way. John calls Marlena and tells her he's hired a bounty hunter (Steve) to find the mayor's killer. He says they should have some news for her soon.

SOW: Unfortunately, the killer finds Marlena first. What happens?

DH: The killer goes after Marlena because he's trying to find out where Sami is. John gets a phone call from Marlena. He says, "Yes, Blondie. Blondie?!" John doesn't hear anything else on her end, because the killer has grabbed the phone and pulled the cord out of the wall.

SOW: Does John immediately sense something is wrong?

DH: Yes. He knows he has to get over to Marlena's to help her. John gets there, and the killer is holding a poker over Marlena. He asks her where her daughter is. Marlena swears she doesn't know. The killer thinks she's lying. He tells Marlena he's killed before and he'll do it again. He'll kill her. You hear a voice say, "Not if I kill you first."

SOW: John's standing there with a gun trained on the killer. Does he save the day?

DH: John orders the killer to let Marlena go. But he says he's "not into negotiation." John says, "Neither am I." John is ready to squeeze a round off in this guy's head. He doesn't have a problem with it.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Red Mist
Member Avatar

My my my you know this is going to be more terrible then it sounds....Higley, the writer who can do nothing right except screw up.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting, Jonatha!!

You know I really feel for the Jarlena's out there, DH is royally screwing over pretty much every fanbase out there.

DH: He's got something. Some instincts. Some feelings. Although it has to be indicated a little bit more in the writing.

Even Drake sees it................we get nothing about what the character thinks or his motivations. Nothing. This right here is why this show is totally unwatchable right now. This is how EVERY character on this show is played....we have no idea what they think or feel. At least with John you could argue it's because of the brain washing. What's the excuse for everyone else??

I'm wondering if Whitesell & Tomlin are going to be able to salvage this mess before its too late. We've only got an eighteen month reprieve. :frown:

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Thats it,for some reason I wanted to read more,I will gladely take what is gonna happen,for the first time in awhile JM won't be all divorce,divorce,divorce every 5 seconds.

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Jonatha .....

I take it that the murderer has a mask on and gets away!

Days4Life

Drake is so right about the writing. We don't know what any of the characters are really feeling or thinking. It makes it very difficult to get involved in the stories when we don't know what's going on.

brimike

So Drake AND Nadia are both dropping hints to the press they're not happy. Usually, that immediately precedes some kind of change. I can't remember the last time an actor made comments like that, when it wasn't announced within six months that there's been a writing change.

Oh wait. Guiding Light for the last two years.

Never mind... :-)

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

brimike
Nov 13 2008, 11:13 AM
So Drake AND Nadia are both dropping hints to the press they're not happy. Usually, that immediately precedes some kind of change. I can't remember the last time an actor made comments like that, when it wasn't announced within six months that there's been a writing change.

Oh wait. Guiding Light for the last two years.

Never mind... :-)
I will say this has more weight coming from Drake then it does Nadia. However, until other actors do the same it won't do shit because some of the others are enjoying what they are being given and I don't feel that is them just selling the material. Joe Mascolo would not be shy about dissing the writing and he isn't. He seems happy. Peter Reckell looked like he was going to burst through a wall with his excitement over the cops being smarter and something good coming up for him. Until it becomes a morale similar to JER's second run, nothing is going to happen.

I do agree with Drake on his point but I disagree that the character motivations are a major issue. Yes, it is for some and maybe I can look past that because I don't need to have motivations made explicit to me. Often I can just go through that kind of stuff in my head and justify it but that's just me. I can see why it's an issue though. That shouldn't have to happen but I really don't think it's a show-wide epidemic. J&M's story has been off and on and I think that is the next story Higley and co are going to work extensively on and it seems like good stuff is ahead once the new psychiatrist comes on. She really seems to spark things there.

This sounds very good. I hope they make it a Friday cliffhanger.

peaches179

JANALH
Nov 13 2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for posting, Jonatha!!

You know I really feel for the Jarlena's out there, DH is royally screwing over pretty much every fanbase out there.

Even Drake sees it................we get nothing about what the character thinks or his motivations. Nothing. This right here is why this show is totally unwatchable right now. This is how EVERY character on this show is played....we have no idea what they think or feel. At least with John you could argue it's because of the brain washing. What's the excuse for everyone else??

I'm wondering if Whitesell & Tomlin are going to be able to salvage this mess before its too late. We've only got an eighteen month reprieve. :frown:

ICAM!!

CatherineEarnshaw

Thanks for the post.

I don't understand why it is someone other than Marlena being John's psychiatrist. Why do I suspect some more character destruction ala Ava and Kate?

Days4Life

I have no problem with Marlena not being John's psychiatrist. Their relationship is too close, too much history there; it would be impossible for her to detach enough to treat him effectively.

I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle! Then they can have a Valentine's Day wedding.

CatherineEarnshaw

Days4Life
Nov 13 2008, 05:13 PM
I have no problem with Marlena not being John's psychiatrist. Their relationship is too close, too much history there; it would be impossible for her to detach enough to treat him effectively.

I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle! Then they can have a Valentine's Day wedding.
This is a soap opera though. If reality is desired, Kayla shouldn't treat anyone, Roman shouldn't investigate anyone, etc. because they are really close to everyone they treat or investigate.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

Days4Life
Nov 13 2008, 05:13 PM

Same here,but I at least know this other shrink chick isn't stay,I heard she's only on for a few epi's.

daisysmommy

I haven't seen ANYTHING about the Charlotte Taylor role being only a few epis-- can someone pls advise (cuz I cannot do another Ava thang...cannot...and will not...)

Plus-- after Nov, nothing will 'really' happen til Feb...except for some mistletoe action.

PS-- And not to be too shallow, but what exactly was Marlena wearing today? It was quite interesting.

Hergie23
Member Avatar

daisysmommy
Nov 13 2008, 05:59 PM
PS-- And not to be too shallow, but what exactly was Marlena wearing today? It was quite interesting.
LOL, I love the Marlena/Deeva, but I concur! As a matter of fact, what has she been wearing for the last year and a half?! Bring back 2006 style! Serious.

hops
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking forward to seeing John and Marlena involved in a little action. Maybe next time it can be in the bedroom, lol. Seriously, I'd just like to see more depth and some real direction in their story. Very happy to see them though. Enjoyed their scenes this week, because even though it may not be all out there, they do connect in their scenes in little subtle ways. Loved when he invaded her space yesterday and you could just see this little sign of being uncomfortable from her. It wasn't written, you could just feel it.
Edited by hops, Nov 13 2008, 09:51 PM.

jules

ITA hops, glad to see J&M finally get some action lol. Thanks to Jonatha for posting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply