Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Clip of Eric's debut as Brady; second episode added
Topic Started: Nov 12 2008, 07:58 PM (1,967 Views)
cjknick
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 12 2008, 09:34 PM
LMAO!

What scenes were y'all watching? He still sucks ass!
Thanks for saying what I was actually thinking - but everyone was saying such nice things I thought why am I thinking just the opposite? But I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt it was his first scene and just out of the gate and he has to act opposite Deidre and Drake that's intimidating to say the least. James and Ari are up next and they had some very nice things to say about Eric - I hope they were not just being nice - but are honest about his acting abilities.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

cjknick
Nov 13 2008, 09:31 AM
Mason
Nov 12 2008, 09:34 PM
LMAO!

What scenes were y'all watching? He still sucks ass!
Thanks for saying what I was actually thinking - but everyone was saying such nice things I thought why am I thinking just the opposite? But I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt it was his first scene and just out of the gate and he has to act opposite Deidre and Drake that's intimidating to say the least. James and Ari are up next and they had some very nice things to say about Eric - I hope they were not just being nice - but are honest about his acting abilities.
I'm sure they were just being nice.

I recall the cast raving about what a great job Charity Rahmer was doing when she was brought on as Belle, LoL. I never go by what the co-workers say, 'cause more often than not, they're just kissing ass.

brimike

The thing about Eric is, he's a great "straight-man" (as in comic roles, not sexual orientation - LOL!)

He worked best on Passions when he was playing the dry, somewhat eye-rolling, straight man to Hartley's manic insanity. It's why he'll probably be fine with Ari - Nicole can be her wacky self (when she's not grieving dead babies, that is), and Brady can be the straight man. It's the same kind of dynamic that made Simon and Katie so successful on ATWT the first go-round (not so much once Leyden left)... or like Melissa Reeves to Matt Ashford. Sure, EM's not a very dynamic or charismatic actor, but he'll anchor a character who's a little left of center.
Edited by brimike, Nov 13 2008, 10:00 AM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

brimike
Nov 13 2008, 09:59 AM
The thing about Eric is, he's a great "straight-man" (as in comic roles, not sexual orientation - LOL!)

He worked best on Passions when he was playing the dry, somewhat eye-rolling, straight man to Hartley's manic insanity. It's why he'll probably be fine with Ari - Nicole can be her wacky self (when she's not grieving dead babies, that is), and Brady can be the straight man. It's the same kind of dynamic that made Simon and Katie so successful on ATWT the first go-round (not so much once Leyden left)... or like Melissa Reeves to Matt Ashford. Sure, EM's not a very dynamic or charismatic actor, but he'll anchor a character who's a little left of center.
From what I have read even Eric will tell you he isn't the greatest actor and he knew that he was basically eye candy for the most part on Passion's. But he said Passion's was quirky and great acting was not actually necessary. Days is different he is in a whole nother league and you don't want to be the actor dragging things down. It will be a challenge for him but he just may rise to the occasion. I just hope he's not the male "Chloe".

bellcurve
Member Avatar

I'm in the minority(haven't seen these scenes yet), but I liked Eric Martsolf on PASSIONS. Even moreso than Travis Schuldt, who won't be winning any awards either.

Just a matter of taste.

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting the clip Angie.

I didn't think he was that bad. He's certainly better than GG and a few others on this show right now.

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

I was struck by the resemblance between Drake and Eric when I saw them together. It was good to see Eric again as I used to watch the early years of Passions. I think he'll do well on Days as Brady and it is about time they bring him home. Now TPTB need to bring Belle home too. Marlena needs her family as does John. He needs little Claire most of all as they had such a great bond. JMO.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

It pains me that people think that Eric was awful lol I honestly thought he was quite good, but the chemistry between Eric
and Dee is what sold it for me. In only that one scene, I completely believed the relationship. To me, that is good acting. And I wish the show play more to Dee's strengths. There are times where I think she is the worst actress on soaps, and then other times, in the scenes she had with Martha Madison, or these scenes, I just think she is epitome of love.

cjknick
Member Avatar

goldylicious
Nov 13 2008, 02:13 PM
It pains me that people think that Eric was awful lol I honestly thought he was quite good, but the chemistry between Eric
and Dee is what sold it for me. In only that one scene, I completely believed the relationship. To me, that is good acting. And I wish the show play more to Dee's strengths. There are times where I think she is the worst actress on soaps, and then other times, in the scenes she had with Martha Madison, or these scenes, I just think she is epitome of love.
He wasn't terrible it's just so many poster were gushing about his first scene and the scene was ok but it was far from WOW. I will say he physicalyl fits Brady as far as John goes - it was a good match there. I suspect his scenes with Chloe, Nicole and EJ will be much better. This scene with Marlena was not a WOW scene, it merely was ok!

buffyloverlori

Well I saw the clips for tomorrow's show on you-tube. And I thought he did really well working with Chloe. And next well get to see him working with Nicole. I thought he did pretty good yesterday with Marlena. And I think they did good with casting him as Brady.

Deleted User
Deleted User

cjknick
Nov 13 2008, 03:13 PM
goldylicious
He wasn't terrible it's just so many poster were gushing about his first scene and the scene was ok but it was far from WOW. I will say he physicalyl fits Brady as far as John goes - it was a good match there. I suspect his scenes with Chloe, Nicole and EJ will be much better. This scene with Marlena was not a WOW scene, it merely was ok!
I watched scene and I think Eric was better than I expected. The scene was just fine considering who else was in it as Deidre and Drake were just as mediocre as him.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I agree with Drew in that he was still and very awkward but that is expected. I mean, it can't be easy having your first scenes with Drake and Dee.

I also felt the scene called for awkwardness so what Eric did actually worked. He's usually a bit more natural then that but I think it will come. He was still when he first started as Ethan too and while his acting never improved, his mannerisms did. I think he also worried far too much about tossing in some things Lowder used to do. I got that feeling. He has the look and worked very well with Drake and Dee. His scenes with Dee were very good. I did like what he was trying to convey.

I did like the dynamics. i just wish they would bring Belle now because I think there is a major hole right now without her.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Nov 13 2008, 03:22 PM
cjknick
Nov 13 2008, 03:13 PM
goldylicious
I watched scene and I think Eric was better than I expected. The scene was just fine considering who else was in it as Deidre and Drake were just as mediocre as him.
You can say that again.

Dee is back to 2006 Deidre and it;s not all the writer's fault either. It seems as soon as Ed Scott left she fell back into old habits and that is not good. You know there is a problem when Draje outperforms her in some scenes.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

So I watched the day ahead Brady/Chloe scenes on Youtube, and again, I thought Eric was fine. And Nadia did a good job too lol

Mason
Member Avatar

Eric is like the male Nadia Bjorlin. Nice to look at. Painful to watch.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

I think Eric is doing a fine job so far.

He is a good choice for a recast of Brady, both acting wise and physically IMO.

His scene with Deidre and Drake were great.

I was VERY VERY skeptical of this casting choice considering his role on PASSIONS and his acting abilities there....however so far I am enjoying what I am seeing and I am glad that Brady is back in the form of Martsolf.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

It's all a matter of opinion, for me Eric is a good actor. I just don't see how in his first episode he was THAT bad. Time will tell, but I think I am going to like Eric in the role.

Galen on the other hand, PAINFUL(did I say painful) to watch!

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Drake, Dee, and Eric are not exactly acting powerhouses, so this was the best that could come out of scenes with them. Considering how much worse these scenes could've been, this wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't impressive either.

Kirk
Member Avatar
Captain Kirk

Oh and Deidre has been dreadful, I don't want to hear any excuses about how bad the writing is either. That's her damn job and right now Deidre is just phoning it in or she has forgotten how to act. :shame:

CatherineEarnshaw

I am happy that Marlena and Brady aren't revisiting the stupid hate fest from a few years ago. It made no sense and it was really unpleasant.

I think Deidre is often the best actress on soaps. She is wonderful at playing the romantic heroine, the strong heroine, the mother, and she has great sexual chemistry with Drake. I don't think she is very good at snarkiness or bitchiness. She can do humor though. her best scenes as the SK were when Marlena wasn't sure what was going on and her vulnerability in her scenes with Drake, Kirsten and Alison.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply