Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS:Clip of Eric's debut as Brady; second episode added
Topic Started: Nov 12 2008, 07:58 PM (1,886 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 13 2008, 06:55 PM
Kirk
Nov 13 2008, 06:50 PM
Oh and Deidre has been dreadful, I don't want to hear any excuses about how bad the writing is either. That's her damn job and right now Deidre is just phoning it in or she has forgotten how to act. :shame:
Ever since I've been watching DAYS, Dee has never impressed me. She's very hammy, stiff, bland, and those little orgasmic sounds she makes at times are just gag worthy. Don't get me started on the horrible way she cries as well.

She's one of those soap actors whose popularity I've never gotten. She's sucked for 15 or so years I've been watching DAYS.

I guess her acting went down severely over the years. I've seen clips of her from the 70's and early 80's where she had a lot of charisma, now, not so much....
I don't think I have ever disagreed with someone more on this site...possibly EVER!

Deidre Hall is one of the best actresses in daytime. The writing sucks and she knows it, I don't blame her for phoning it in. She has NOTHING to do...how can she really get emotionally invested where there is literally nothing to get invested in.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason

The writing sucks ass, yes, but it's Dee's job to do the best with what she's given. Other actors do it, so she can too.

Ellie

I've hesitated to jump in on this, because when I write things like what I'm about to write, certain people make certain comments that I think steer the discussion in the wrong direction. So let me be crystal clear on this: I am NOT saying Deidre Hall can never have an off day. What I AM saying is that I truly thought she played today's scenes beautifully! Marlena was very motherly towards Brady, she got choked up when Brady told her he'd held out some hope that his presence would turn John around, and she was torn between her allegiance to John and her support of what Brady was feeling. I thought Deidre conveyed all of this exquisitely. I've watched today's clips 4 or 5 times now, and each time I've noticed different nuances in the acting which have made the scenes (and all three actors' performances) all the more compelling.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 14 2008, 01:25 AM
I've hesitated to jump in on this, because when I write things like what I'm about to write, certain people make certain comments that I think steer the discussion in the wrong direction. So let me be crystal clear on this: I am NOT saying Deidre Hall can never have an off day. What I AM saying is that I truly thought she played today's scenes beautifully! Marlena was very motherly towards Brady, she got choked up when Brady told her he'd held out some hope that his presence would turn John around, and she was torn between her allegiance to John and her support of what Brady was feeling. I thought Deidre conveyed all of this exquisitely. I've watched today's clips 4 or 5 times now, and each time I've noticed different nuances in the acting which have made the scenes (and all three actors' performances) all the more compelling.
I agree I thought Dee was excellent in those scenes. Just like I loved her chemistry with Martha, I think she will have great chemistry with Eric. Don't feel it much with Ali Sweeney, but that could be off scene stuff showing up on screen

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Dee was good on Thursday IMO.

Wednesday and basically since August (right around the time Ed Scott left) she has been horrid. And don't blame the writing, story, or what have you. There are good actors that can rise above the writing and good ones that can't. She can't, at least not in the last decade.

The gasping and moaning is beyond annoying. Ed Scott must have done something to keep her in check because she never did any of that unless a scene called for it while he was there. Never. None of the other Days actors have fallen into bad habits. She has and I hope someone calls her on it. Today, she was fine but that was like the first time in awhile she was IMO.

I also don't see Dee phoning it in because of the writing. She says all the right things but I doubt she cares. Even when JER was writing her horribly and even with all the times the show hasn't used her in recent times, she has never said anything bad or critical of the show. I think she's just at a point in her life where she wants to work and just loves being there. Otherwise, I think things would be different because I don't think she pushes as much as Drake as far as making sure the writers do right by her and her story. I think she used to but not anymore.

Ellie

^^ See, this is what I did not want to happen. Some people posted Deidre wasn't that good on today's show, I said I thought she was, and you jumped in with "she's been phoning it in for the last decade". Needless to say, I completely disagree, but that's not what I wanted to discuss in this thread, which is about today's scenes.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 14 2008, 02:26 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Nov 14 2008, 02:10 AM
^^ See, this is what I did not want to happen. Some people posted Deidre wasn't that good on today's show, I said I thought she was, and you jumped in with "she's been phoning it in for the last decade". Needless to say, I completely disagree, but that's not what I wanted to discuss in this thread, which is about today's scenes.
Ellie, I wasn't referring to your post LOL so not sure what is upsetting you.

I was referring to others who expressed their view of Dee as an actress. I think it's all relevant, especially when in my post I mentioned she was good on Thursday's episode for the first in awhile.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 02:46 AM
Ellie

I was referring to others who expressed their view of Dee as an actress. I think it's all relevant, especially when in my post I mentioned she was good on Thursday's episode for the first in awhile.
Well, glad at least to hear I had nothing to do with it!

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Nov 14 2008, 02:55 AM
PhoenixRising05
Ellie

Of course not.

Even if the topic veered off course, it's no big deal. Acting is part of the subject and Dee's performance was a sidebar. No one did anything wrong at all IMO.

Deleted User
Deleted User

PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 03:51 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Ellie

Of course not.

Even if the topic veered off course, it's no big deal. Acting is part of the subject and Dee's performance was a sidebar. No one did anything wrong at all IMO.
In terms of Diedre's acting ability, I actually agree with you Phoenix. The orgasmic moans and what not are atrocious and when she phones it in she can she terrible. And sometimes when she isn't she doesn't make the right acting choices. Can she be good? Of course. What directly comes to my mind are those hot springs scenes, damn I can watch that over and over, and I have. Her Emmy nominations were well deserved.

And bringing back to topic I thought she did just what the scene asked for. When I said it was mediocre what I meant was that the scene itself in general was nothing special.
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Nov 14 2008, 03:56 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 03:51 AM
Ellie
PhoenixRising05
Ellie

Of course not.

In terms of Diedre's acting ability, I actually agree with you Phoenix. The orgasmic moans and what not are atrocious and when she phones it in she can she terrible. And sometimes when she isn't she doesn't make the right acting choices. Can she be good? Of course. What directly comes to my mind are those hot springs scenes, damn I can watch that over and over, and I have. Her Emmy nominations were well deserved.

And bringing back to topic I thought she did just what the scene asked for. When I said it was mediocre what I meant was that the scene itself in general was nothing special.
Exactly.

Your right about the scenes too. They were simple, family interaction stuff. I think that plays to one of Dee's strengths. She always plays those kind of scenes well because she can be cutesy and all and she has a warmth about her that fits in a scene like this. She has always done well in scenes where she is in mother mode.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

jmluv
Nov 12 2008, 10:51 PM
Mason
Nov 12 2008, 09:34 PM
LMAO!

What scenes were y'all watching? He still sucks ass!
I thought Kyle Lowder sucked ass. LOL! I'm liking Eric as Brady.
ITA!!! Lowder was ghastly! I might actually like Brady in this reincarnation.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 12 2008, 10:57 PM
John is such a joke, and would someone PLEASE give him a hairstyle that doesn't look as if a giant hair UFO has landed atop his head?
LOL!!! :laugh:

Jiggs
Member Avatar

IMissAremid
Nov 13 2008, 12:08 AM
Kenny
Nov 12 2008, 10:57 PM
John is such a joke, and would someone PLEASE give him a hairstyle that doesn't look as if a giant hair UFO has landed atop his head?
Ha. His hair was bugging me in this clip I have to admit. I just realized for some reason John reminds me of Christopher Walken these days and was trying to figure out if it was the hair.
Drake Hogestyn once said that Walken was a fave actor of his, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is basing nuJohn on Walken. God knows they look the same!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

brimike
Nov 13 2008, 09:10 AM
I think Eric will be fine in the long-run, as long as they create some kind of real foundation for the Brady character. He's always confused me - going from an angry young man to a guy who'd break out into song at a moment's notice... and then became an off-camera drug addict. I don't think the actor is terrible (though I do wish they found someone with more personality) - I just wish they'd zero in on who Brady Black is.
I am hoping they forget completely who he was before. Wipe the slate clean please!!! Brady was one of the worst characters ever created and written before. Kind of like EJ. All over the board.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

hops
Nov 13 2008, 09:14 PM
Hergie23
Nov 13 2008, 08:39 PM
Sindacco
Nov 13 2008, 07:46 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 13 2008, 06:55 PM
Ever since I've been watching DAYS, Dee has never impressed me. She's very hammy, stiff, bland, and those little orgasmic sounds she makes at times are just gag worthy. Don't get me started on the horrible way she cries as well.
That kinda turns me on ;)
You totally just typed exactly what I was thinkin ;) Love the lil moans. To each his/her own.
go figure....I love them too, lol. They've got passion baby. :D

In spades!!!

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 02:04 AM
Dee was good on Thursday IMO.

Wednesday and basically since August (right around the time Ed Scott left) she has been horrid. And don't blame the writing, story, or what have you. There are good actors that can rise above the writing and good ones that can't. She can't, at least not in the last decade.

The gasping and moaning is beyond annoying. Ed Scott must have done something to keep her in check because she never did any of that unless a scene called for it while he was there. Never. None of the other Days actors have fallen into bad habits. She has and I hope someone calls her on it. Today, she was fine but that was like the first time in awhile she was IMO.

I also don't see Dee phoning it in because of the writing. She says all the right things but I doubt she cares. Even when JER was writing her horribly and even with all the times the show hasn't used her in recent times, she has never said anything bad or critical of the show. I think she's just at a point in her life where she wants to work and just loves being there. Otherwise, I think things would be different because I don't think she pushes as much as Drake as far as making sure the writers do right by her and her story. I think she used to but not anymore.

There are a lot of times I roll my eyes at some of the mannerisms Deidre Hall has, but I've never gotten all the bashing about this gasping and moaning stuff. I just don't see it. Now, with Alison Sweeney, I see gasping and heavy breathing constantly.

Edited by Jiggs, Nov 14 2008, 02:59 PM.

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

This guy is way better than Lowder!

Flying Monkey
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 14 2008, 02:04 PM
There are a lot of times I roll my eyes at some of the mannerisms Deidre Hall has, but I've never gotten all the bashing about this gasping and moaning stuff. I just don't see it. Now, with Alison Sweeney, I see gasping and heavy breathing constantly.

There are times when Deidre Hall has made me cringe. But I can say that about several of my other favorites too. Most of the time I find her mannerisms endearing. I don't get all the criticism either, other than bashing for the sake of bashing. I can list a whole bunch of actors with far worse habits.

I didn't see any of it in her recent performances.

Beth
Member Avatar

Eric is going to do an amazing job. I never liked Lowder at all.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply