Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Casting Shocker!; JKJ
Topic Started: Nov 14 2008, 01:43 PM (11,888 Views)
cjknick
Member Avatar

DAYS Casting Shocker!
Hot on the heels of the news that DAYS got a pickup (at an extremely reduced fee from NBC), Digest has learned that negotiations between the show and Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) have broken down and the actor cleared out his dressing room yesterday. Money is said to be the main issue. "Everyone is being asked to take a paycut," reports an insider. Sources say the show is looking for a potential recast and actors are being brought into the studio today to read. A DAYS spokesperson says, "No comment."

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

what the fuck!?!?!?!?!?!

are they crazy? get rid of that idiot melanie and add her salary to jay's. i swear to god, corday is going to find any way possible to make sure this soap goes off the air sooner rather than later.

recasting phillip was wildly unpopular the first time they did it. it will be just as bad this time, if not worse.

Mason

I'm not surprised, actually.

I didn't think JKJ would stay past this contract, anyway. I just hope there's no recast.
Edited by Mason, Nov 14 2008, 01:47 PM.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

That sucks! I really don't want a recast of the character though.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Angie79
Nov 14 2008, 01:48 PM
That sucks! I really don't want a recast of the character though.
I really don't either. The show is top heavy with men. This would help with that. I'm sorry for Philip/Stephanie.

I'm soooo going to miss JKJ. He let me love the Philip character and had charisma. It's too bad they wasted his potential for so long.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Jay is the best under 40 actor, what the fuck is wrong with this show? They get rid of all the good actors and replace them with underwear models from Passions

:soapbox:

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

No, No, No, No, I refuse to accept this lol However, I can't fault the show for asking him to take a pay cut, and I can't fault him for not wanting to take one. He is a great charismatic actor who can make it on primetime or certainly on another soap. But please no recast. The character isn't so important that it needs to be recast.

jane1978

cjknick
Nov 14 2008, 01:43 PM
DAYS Casting Shocker!
Hot on the heels of the news that DAYS got a pickup (at an extremely reduced fee from NBC), Digest has learned that negotiations between the show and Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) have broken down and the actor cleared out his dressing room yesterday. Money is said to be the main issue. "Everyone is being asked to take a paycut," reports an insider. Sources say the show is looking for a potential recast and actors are being brought into the studio today to read. A DAYS spokesperson says, "No comment."

Weird. Can he really just leave so easily? I understand the contract talks can broke down, but he still has to stay till his current contract ends, hasnīt he? Otherwise the show can sue him.

Pearly
Member Avatar

This is truly upsetting. I can think of at least 6 other actors they could've let go and given JKJ the added salary to. Regardless, I'm sure someone else will grab him or he'll go into primetime.

Oh and one more thing.....I'll never accept a recast of Phillip.

Thanks for posting.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Think they will try to get Kyle Brandt back??

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Pearly
Nov 14 2008, 01:54 PM
This is truly upsetting. I can think of at least 6 other actors they could've let go and given JKJ the added salary to. Regardless, I'm sure someone else will grab him or he'll go into primetime.
Such as total newbies Galen and Eric? Sorry to the Passions fans but I prefer Philip to Brady or Rafe.

Mason

Angie79
Nov 14 2008, 01:55 PM
Good God I hope not!

Or maybe they'll try and get Travis Schuldt as a recast, since they suddenly have a hard-on for talentless PASSIONS actors.
Edited by Mason, Nov 14 2008, 01:56 PM.

doolcrazy
Member Avatar

Sorry to see JKJ go. They need to cull the cast of many of this younger set as their stories are lame and there is an overload of them IMO. Give us some stories with characters that aren't brain dead bimbos that seem to drone on for ever and ever.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

If it's just over money, why did he clear out his dressing room? I mean, it sounds like he stormed out in a snit, which I can't blame him for considering the crap he's had for months.

Well, since he was my favorite, it'll make it a lot easier to quit watching the show. Though I suppose now I don't have to worry about Phelony any more, at least not with JKJ.

Hypnotoad

It is time to just pack it in for Kate and her brood. They've run their course and Phillip should exit for good. Kate and Lucas need not be far behind and this chapter of DAYS long history will be over.

Pearly
Member Avatar

Angie79
Angie, you are awesome and everything but if you ever say something like that again I'll forget that you ever existed......

...just kidding! :)

Sindacco
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nov 14 2008, 01:53 PM
cjknick
Nov 14 2008, 01:43 PM
DAYS Casting Shocker!

Weird. Can he really just leave so easily? I understand the contract talks can broke down, but he still has to stay till his current contract ends, hasnīt he? Otherwise the show can sue him.
They can end an actors contract after every 13 week period.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Also a problem with a recast is that if they go with someone cheaper and inexperienced, that would put SH as the leader in this triangle they have concocted. I like SH but she can't carry this story and people are already overdosed on Melanie.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Pearly
Nov 14 2008, 01:57 PM
Angie79
Angie, you are awesome and everything but if you ever say something like that again I'll forget that you ever existed......

...just kidding! :)
Hee. Love you too Angie but I have to agree, no KB!

Really, would it be that difficult to write Philip out? I know the character is pretty intertwined with characters but you could have Stephanie go back to Max (God help us), Chelsea goes to Nick, Melanie remains unattached but the troublemaker.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

Angie79
I think I would have to blind myself before I could see Kyle Brandt back in the role lol JKJ made Philip; honestly, there isn't any point to a recast. But of course they will, and it will be a disaster from the start

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply