Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Casting Shocker!; JKJ
Topic Started: Nov 14 2008, 01:43 PM (12,151 Views)
Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 16 2008, 01:13 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 14 2008, 03:21 PM
I don't know why people keep saying he's going to go on to success in primetime.

He did that one Aaron Spelling show that lasted like two months and got canned. He didn't even really have a big part on that either. Other then that, all he did was gigs here and there. Plus, he's a soap actor and we all know that doesn't help the cause as there seems to be a stigma that has to be overcome.

Actually, he also had a recurring spot as the OB/GYN on scrubs. Are you saying he couldn't make it?
I was really quite surprised he came back to DAYS to begin with. He WAS getting work on primetime and he will again.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FanODays

goldylicious
Nov 16 2008, 01:18 PM
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05
I don't know why people keep saying he's going to go on to success in primetime.

He did that one Aaron Spelling show that lasted like two months and got canned. He didn't even really have a big part on that either. Other then that, all he did was gigs here and there. Plus, he's a soap actor and we all know that doesn't help the cause as there seems to be a stigma that has to be overcome.

Actually, he also had a recurring spot as the OB/GYN on scrubs. Are you saying he couldn't make it?
I was really quite surprised he came back to DAYS to begin with. He WAS getting work on primetime and he will again.
According to interviews, he came back because he thought that the changes in Philip would be good to play and they probably were up until Shelle left and they have not had a clear vision or plan for the character. Its gotta be deja vu all over again for Jay because that was part of the reason he left years ago. When Broe started to take off the character of Philip stated being changed........thrown under the bus some might say...and now its happening again.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

brimike
Nov 14 2008, 04:57 PM
Some. Not many. But some. At the end of the day, this is their career first, and a soap legacy a FAR distant second. And when the writing's on the wall, it's well within his right to say "This isn't what I signed up for. Time to move on"

I applaud him, and I'm not really surprised. He debated whether or not to sign on for another year last December as well. And considering how haphazard the last year has been for him, I pretty much expected him to bail. I don't know why he would stay. I know I wouldn't.

Yes, the fans love him - but at the end of the workday, it's ALL a lot more trouble than it's worth, and he's got to take care of himself and his career first.

You know, I'm under the camp of Days having pulled his strings and BS'ing him since he came back, making promises and then jerking them away. Could be the fangirl thing.....
I saw him in person at a Working Woman's survival show when he first returned last year. He had strongly suggested they enticed him with a Post Traumatic STress Disorder storyline that would explain a lot of the whole Shelligan mess. Obviously, it never materialized. I just have to wonder how many other carrots were dangled in front of him, and the other actors, to get them to jump through hoops. After a while, a person gets fed up. That's my take on it. It's very possible he did get greedy. I can't try to pretend that an actor I like isn't human. He never STRUCK me as being the male-diva type from that one meeting, but who knows?
The thing is.........his stories have been half-baked "throw him with someone and see if he sticks". The man's single. He could relocate to New York if he had to and do a NY soap or do supporting in movies. Heck, if he really had to, he could work summer theatre in Branson! (JK). The thing is, it's not like JKJ doesn't already have a portfolio. He's already got primetime work on his resume, whether it worked or not. His winning ticket, to me, was that recurring role on Scrubs. Scrubs wasn't chicken feed.
The thing is, with the bullshit that Days has been pulling the last months to a year, I do not blame any actor for saying " :flipoff: " (professionally, I hope) and do something more worthy of his talents. I would not be a bit surprised to see James Scott do the same thing. Ari Zucker, for that matter. They have done some great things for Days. They can use this as their next foray into something else.
And, yes, it would be rather easy to write him out. Kate is his most binding storyline right now. Days doesn't exactly have a history of great send-offs. (Remember Cassie, and the last time Nicole left?)
For all we know, we find out Claire is Philip's, or Belle sends for him, and he takes off, with Kate's blessing. No one says it has to make sense! But, in the end, there is a real-life actor who just MIGHT have had to stand up for himself and his own career.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

FanODays
Nov 16 2008, 01:23 PM
goldylicious
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

According to interviews, he came back because he thought that the changes in Philip would be good to play and they probably were up until Shelle left and they have not had a clear vision or plan for the character. Its gotta be deja vu all over again for Jay because that was part of the reason he left years ago. When Broe started to take off the character of Philip stated being changed........thrown under the bus some might say...and now its happening again.
That's pretty much in line what he said at that appearance at that woman's show.

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Nov 16 2008, 01:46 PM
FanODays
goldylicious
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

That's pretty much in line what he said at that appearance at that woman's show.
I'm going to warn all of the EJami fans out there, don't think just because JS and Higley have thrown a bone out to you guys you won't find out that the bone is a bad one. I'm pretty sure they will tell any of the actors anything to keep them in line or to get them to renew. The show has no sense of ethics and morals towards their viewers or employees, so you EJami fans, don't say we didn't warn you.

cjknick
Member Avatar

FanODays
Nov 16 2008, 02:03 PM
ladyofthelake
FanODays
goldylicious
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

I'm going to warn all of the EJami fans out there, don't think just because JS and Higley have thrown a bone out to you guys you won't find out that the bone is a bad one. I'm pretty sure they will tell any of the actors anything to keep them in line or to get them to renew. The show has no sense of ethics and morals towards their viewers or employees, so you EJami fans, don't say we didn't warn you.
Days is in trouble, no actor is totally safe and actors like JKJ may chose to leave instead of deal .... JS may chose to leave as well. I would not be shocked. I'm not shocked that Jay is leaving it is probably a smart move on his part.

Deleted User
Deleted User

FanODays
Nov 16 2008, 02:03 PM
ladyofthelake
FanODays
goldylicious
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

You don't need to warn me. Higley has fucked over EJami time and time again. I don't believe a word she says and I don't know one EJami fan who does. There hasn't been an EJami story since May. The only character she's bothered to write for and give an inner life is Nicole and she has been the one sharing scenes for months with EJ, not Sami. So everytime she gives us a shout out, I think she's just saying to us "fuck you."
Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

Does he have the talent to make it? Definitely. Does he have the looks? Definitely.

Will he? I would be shocked. I mean, I like Scrubs but it's still a guest spot and, even if they wanted him for more, it's not a huge deal unless he's a regular or something. He hasn't done what someone like Jensen Ackles did. Granted, his show isn't highly rated but he is a lead on that show and it's been on for awhile.

The money just isn't there in Hollywood right now. They are all tightening the belt and that makes it even harder. Plus, Jay is a soap actor. That is why I think he returned this time. He has a difficult time and needed the work. I just don't see him getting work. On another soap, sure but not anything beyond that, at least not steady work.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Nov 16 2008, 03:56 PM
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

Does he have the talent to make it? Definitely. Does he have the looks? Definitely.

Will he? I would be shocked. I mean, I like Scrubs but it's still a guest spot and, even if they wanted him for more, it's not a huge deal unless he's a regular or something. He hasn't done what someone like Jensen Ackles did. Granted, his show isn't highly rated but he is a lead on that show and it's been on for awhile.

The money just isn't there in Hollywood right now. They are all tightening the belt and that makes it even harder. Plus, Jay is a soap actor. That is why I think he returned this time. He has a difficult time and needed the work. I just don't see him getting work. On another soap, sure but not anything beyond that, at least not steady work.
You make it sound like his Scrubs showing was a one-timer. It wasn't. It was recurring. It's not exactly like he's a newbie at this, either. He left once and didn't have to apply for food stamps. (At least, not that I know of!!) The guy isn't saddled down. He wants to move to New York, he can move to New York. He wants to head to Chicago theatre, he could head to Chicago theater. He wants do to a Branson show, he can do a Branson show. Good grief, if he wants to direct, he can try his hand at directing. Acting doesn't have to involve being front and center on a TV show.
True, the money isn't there, but its not there for the vast majority of US citizens, either, and that isn't exactly stopping the world from turning. Plus, we don't know what other offers might have already been pointed his way. I just get the feeling you feel he was being impetuous and pouty and unrealistic. Again, it's not like he hasn't been through this once. I honestly think it's not just a money thing, but also too many promises being made that eventually, probably pushed his final button. I just don't picture him being impetuous.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Nov 16 2008, 04:17 PM
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

You make it sound like his Scrubs showing was a one-timer. It wasn't. It was recurring. It's not exactly like he's a newbie at this, either. He left once and didn't have to apply for food stamps. (At least, not that I know of!!) The guy isn't saddled down. He wants to move to New York, he can move to New York. He wants to head to Chicago theatre, he could head to Chicago theater. He wants do to a Branson show, he can do a Branson show. Good grief, if he wants to direct, he can try his hand at directing. Acting doesn't have to involve being front and center on a TV show.
True, the money isn't there, but its not there for the vast majority of US citizens, either, and that isn't exactly stopping the world from turning. Plus, we don't know what other offers might have already been pointed his way. I just get the feeling you feel he was being impetuous and pouty and unrealistic. Again, it's not like he hasn't been through this once. I honestly think it's not just a money thing, but also too many promises being made that eventually, probably pushed his final button. I just don't picture him being impetuous.
I'm not saying it was a bad thing. Being in Scrubs is great but it's not like he had steady work. I'm just saying it's not like he went out there and was in high demand.

I'm also not saying he is pouty or unrealistic. He has every right to make this move. Maybe his agent and him have some things lined up. Maybe he has had offers or wants to do other things. All I'm saying is that in my personal opinion, it's tough right now for anyone in the business to find a job...Hollywood or New York. There have been articles in many entertainment magazines about how the studios are cutting down on stunt-casting, guest roles, recurring roles, and on finances in general. They aren't going to bring someone on unless they have to. That and there aren't going to be so many pilots either and soap actors have a hard time as it is, regardless of talent. It's just a bad time. Does that mean he won't make it? No. I'm just saying I would be shocked. He has the talent to make it. I'm just not so sure he will.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 16 2008, 04:23 PM.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

PhoenixRising05
Nov 16 2008, 04:22 PM
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

I'm not saying it was a bad thing. Being in Scrubs is great but it's not like he had steady work. I'm just saying it's not like he went out there and was in high demand.

I'm also not saying he is pouty or unrealistic. He has every right to make this move. Maybe his agent and him have some things lined up. Maybe he has had offers or wants to do other things. All I'm saying is that in my personal opinion, it's tough right now for anyone in the business to find a job...Hollywood or New York. There have been articles in many entertainment magazines about how the studios are cutting down on stunt-casting, guest roles, recurring roles, and on finances in general. They aren't going to bring someone on unless they have to. That and there aren't going to be so many pilots either and soap actors have a hard time as it is, regardless of talent. It's just a bad time. Does that mean he won't make it? No. I'm just saying I would be shocked. He has the talent to make it. I'm just not so sure he will.
Its a bad time for everyone, but life has to go on.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

ladyofthelake
Nov 16 2008, 04:24 PM
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05
ladyofthelake
PhoenixRising05

Its a bad time for everyone, but life has to go on.
And I'm in agreement with that. I'm just saying it's not like it was before where a soap actor had somewhat of a chance. They've never had a great chance but there was a time where they could at least get guest roles and gigs her and there. Now, it's tough. I hope he does do ok.

Are you having a bad day, ladyofthelake? You've never really posted like that in response to me so just wondering.

Nom71

I don't think the Aaron Spelling show was even picked up by a network. Jay appeared in 7 episodes of Scrubs as an OB/GYN. He also did an episode on Charmed, CSI/New York, and CSI/Miami. He had a good role in the Fox network show "North Shore" That show lasted a year and 21 episodes.

I, for one, just love Jay and will look forward to seeing him again on TV or Movies. (I did see the movie he made called "Hack". I rented it )

Sindacco
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05

So Days had to bring on that FBI agent to protect Sami? They had to bring back Brady? And they just had to be underwear models that can't act?

King
Member Avatar

Jobs are getting harder and harder to come by in the entertainment industry. With the internet and cable, networks are bleeding. There aren't as many shows being produced. There aren't enough jobs both behind the scenes and on-screen. The strike effects are still being felt. There are a lot of out of work people and not a lot of jobs.

If he did walk away on his own accord, I just think it was a very, very foolish move. He is lucky to have work right now. Anyone is.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

King
Nov 16 2008, 05:16 PM
Jobs are getting harder and harder to come by in the entertainment industry. With the internet and cable, networks are bleeding. There aren't as many shows being produced. There aren't enough jobs both behind the scenes and on-screen. The strike effects are still being felt. There are a lot of out of work people and not a lot of jobs.

If he did walk away on his own accord, I just think it was a very, very foolish move. He is lucky to have work right now. Anyone is.
Times are tough all over. Maybe we shouldn't be speculating about his reasons until we know what really happened. And, as I mentioned, we don't know he didn't already have something else lined up. For all we know, there was already writing on the wall. He's a big boy and can make his own decisions. And, if the decision was foolish, well, name one adult who hasn't made a hasty decision. Yeah, if he walked off pissed, it was probably not the brightest thing. But, again, we don't know that. We can speculate til the cows come up, but unless HE issues a press conference, we won't know. I wouldn't trust anything coming out of Days's collective mouthpieces right now.
Right now, I'm so sick of this Days drama backstage and the scramble of speculation, I might throw the proverbial baloney sandwich.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

Does it really matter why JKJ left? Days is sinking fast. It's being turned in to the Shrieking Sami hour. It feels more and more, that if you aren't AS then anything goes. No matter his reason, JKJ left because it was in his best interest to. I am betting it was a really smart move on his part, or he wouldn't have done it. At least that spares him from being fired over the phone in a few more months. ;) I wish Jay the best. I would imagine that we'll see him back on our screens in some sort of fashion before too long.
Edited by mesagirl, Nov 16 2008, 07:08 PM.

King
Member Avatar

Well, it is the Sami Shrieking hour, but it also has BEEN the Sami Shreiking hour for at least two years.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Sindacco
Nov 16 2008, 05:13 PM
PhoenixRising05

So Days had to bring on that FBI agent to protect Sami? They had to bring back Brady? And they just had to be underwear models that can't act?
I was actually talking more about primetime shows. That is what is going on with them right now.

I think Jay has the talent to do what Jensen Ackles did but I just don't think the circumstances favor him. He may still do it. I hope he does. I just don't like the situation for him.

As for whether Days needs those two, no. They didn't. However, they made those decisions weeks ago and they don't cost as much and who knows how involved NBC was. Maybe NBC pushed for them. That just speaks to how stupid Days is regarding finances. They act before they think of the consequences.

Deleted User
Deleted User

So Joey Buchanan recast?
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply