Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Casting Shocker!; JKJ
Topic Started: Nov 14 2008, 01:43 PM (12,231 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Amello
Nov 16 2008, 10:15 PM
So Joey Buchanan recast?
Hmm...not a bad idea, really.

I can see that. If this casting news sticks, I can see him on another soap soon. I think he will have options in daytime.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 16 2008, 10:19 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

SOC's reporting that Philip will be recast.

Great...

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 16 2008, 11:08 PM
SOC's reporting that Philip will be recast.

Great...
Ugh! Why? Why do they even bother? This is such an unbelievably horrible time to recast the character with the new love interest they found for him in Stephanie and with what's been going on with his mother. People are going to look at the new Philip (at least, I know I will!) and all the sentimental value Jay put into his scenes as Philip with Kate, not to mention the intriguing chem he had with Shelley, will be gone. There's nothing to pursue if they're not going to use JKJ, and this is just one of those situations where you have to drop the story and not try to ride it out with a cheap replacement.

mesagirl
Member Avatar

King
Nov 16 2008, 07:19 PM
Well, it is the Sami Shrieking hour, but it also has BEEN the Sami Shreiking hour for at least two years.
It sure has. But now she's getting her own special sets built just for her, her own special set of actors to work just with her, her own special albeit boring s/l because she had to have her pregnancy written in to the show (to help out those poor crew members :x ) , and of course those pickles! Seems that Days is willing to sacrifice cast members just to meet her continuing needs. So Ass Backwards. :drunk:

Shylock

Watch Kyle Brandt be brought back for the role. Just to add to the whole "meaty dudes with no talent" initiative that they have going right now. Galen, Eric, then Kyle.

fenderbabe
Member Avatar

Shylock
Nov 16 2008, 11:29 PM
Watch Kyle Brandt be brought back for the role. Just to add to the whole "meaty dudes with no talent" initiative that they have going right now. Galen, Eric, then Kyle.
There's no doubt in my mind that they've already tried to contact Kyle and ask him. What's he even been doing? Who knows, but in his defense, he was getting quite good in the role just before they wrote Philip off and then brought JKJ back on. I'm pissed about a recast, but I'd take KB over another Passions' void, I mean, actor if I had to.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

It was said KB is working for a sports show of some kind. He loves it so I doubt he will be back. Besides, I think he was down on the writing when he left. The only reason I feel he did good at the end of his run was because the writing for Philip got good.

I trust Marnie Saitta to come up with someone good, whether it be newbie or a known actor.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 17 2008, 12:40 AM.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Shylock
I keep hearing that's unlikely since Kyle landed his "dream job" working in the sports industry for the Tony Romo show or something like that.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

ElvisDiMera
Nov 16 2008, 11:45 PM
Shylock
I keep hearing that's unlikely since Kyle landed his "dream job" working in the sports industry for the Tony Romo show or something like that.
He works for Jim Rome, a sports talk radio and TV host. Tony Romo is the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback. Hopefully Kyle Brandt will stay far away from Days, although he wasn't awful at the end.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Call and email the show and tell them that you won't accept a recast and you'd rather see Philip written off of the show. JKJ is Philip Kiriakis.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Paxton
Nov 16 2008, 11:52 PM
ElvisDiMera
Nov 16 2008, 11:45 PM
Shylock
He works for Jim Rome, a sports talk radio and TV host. Tony Romo is the Dallas Cowboys' quarterback. Hopefully Kyle Brandt will stay far away from Days, although he wasn't awful at the end.
Oops. That is what I meant. Darn me for watching the football game tonight.

daysfan
Member Avatar

I know other people have been brought back to shows who many, including myself, have never thought would ever come back, but I honestly just think Kyle Brandt is done with Days for good, probably even soaps. As many have said he has his dream job, and I know when he left back in 2006, he was very, very negative about the writing and rightfully so.

And I don't think its any loss that he would never come back. Under him, I think Philip was lifeless. It was also probably the writing(he was there under Higley and Hogan but mostly JER), because Philip was probably the least interesting character from that era for that set, but I just never got anything from him.

jane1978

Did anyone see the quote over at SON? Apparently when asked about JKJ´s situation on Monday DAYS spokeperson answered: Jay is still Phillip.

So I think not all is lost in his case and they will probably try to offer him more. His name isn´t even on the cover of the new SOD talking about the cast changes.
Edited by jane1978, Nov 18 2008, 04:22 AM.

ericfan400

I hope so.

King
Member Avatar

The funny thing is I bet JKJ expected fans to be outraged over his departure and start a campaign to get him back and thus have the show accommodate the salary he was asking for...but the DH's totally overshadowed this and now JKJ leaving doesn't seem so bad. LOL.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

King
Nov 18 2008, 12:43 PM
The funny thing is I bet JKJ expected fans to be outraged over his departure and start a campaign to get him back and thus have the show accommodate the salary he was asking for...but the DH's totally overshadowed this and now JKJ leaving doesn't seem so bad. LOL.
Maybe, but as a big JKJ fan I'm not even upset that he's leaving. I've been expecting it and at this point I think I would almost be disappointed if he stayed. I would quite honestly rather see JKJ gone than watch Philip in a triangle with Melanie.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

Well, I think the important thing is that they write out the character of Philip instead of trying to recast the part if they won't pay JKJ what he deserves.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I just read that Johnson is still with DAYS and that the news was a mistake.

Sariah
Member Avatar

Paxton
Nov 18 2008, 12:53 PM
King
Maybe, but as a big JKJ fan I'm not even upset that he's leaving. I've been expecting it and at this point I think I would almost be disappointed if he stayed. I would quite honestly rather see JKJ gone than watch Philip in a triangle with Melanie.
JKJ doesn't come across as calculating like that (maybe he is and I've just never seen it) - he was always really professional even when stuff has made him upset. I'm wondering whether there was a deadline for Days to make a counteroffer and they didn't, so he left. No histrionics, no emotion, just time to move on.

And maybe he didn't want to stay and be in a triangle with two little girls (he wasn't a fan of being in the high school scene the first go-round). Maybe he'd finally had enough of the crappy writing. So if he wants to go and I don't have to see him with Melanie or Stephanie, that works for me. I'd prefer he stay, but I'd also prefer they use Phloe chemistry and history (totally ridiculous that they're both on the show and the show doesn't utilize them).

Jay's fans are reacting, but unfortunately I don't think it'll even be a drop in the bucket compared to the J&M fans' responses. :)

jane1978

King
I don´t know. I think from what we could see so far Phillip´s departure would mean a bigger trouble for the show than DH/DDH leaving. They are betting big time on him, he is exactly the kind of actor they seem to want, his chemistry with Shelley is wonderfull and so far the writng for him and Steph is exactly the right way a long term couple should be written.

I wouldn´t be at all surprised if it was him refusing the offer what started this sudden weekend firing spree.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply