Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DAYS Casting Shocker!; JKJ
Topic Started: Nov 14 2008, 01:43 PM (12,255 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

DrewHamilton
Nov 14 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm predicting the role of Philip Kiriakis will be recast with either James Stevenson (ex-Jared, PSNS) or Mark Cameron Wystrach (ex-Fox, PSNS).
Ohhhh good guesses!

James Stevenson wouldn't be bad he can actually act which is why he didn't last that long on Passions......

He'd make a decent Phillip or a Shawn recast.......

Hell to the no when it comes to Mark Cameron Wystrach though......

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

DrewHamilton
Nov 14 2008, 02:06 PM
This sucks. I don't want a Philip recast. I understand they have story planned for Philip, but they stuck gold with the pairing of Johnson and Shelley Henning thus far. Who knows if the recast will have the same chemistry with Henning. And like Tripp said, I don't want to see Henning leading this couple/triangle. She sucks.
IA (though um, I don't think SH sucks, LOL). I just think right now there is a backlash at Philip's story. It mainly comes from Melanie being there. There is also the upset Phloe fans that wanted him with Nadia. I don't see how recasting Philip in a story that was struggling to begin with will be a good idea. It wouldn't be hard to write him off and end the Titan story. The show CERTAINLY dropped storylines so fast we were given whiplash about it so I could forgive them in this case when the lead actor basically walks out.

And though I hate to say it (because again, I'd rather the Passions guys go first before any of the regular Days) but the show is top heavy with men right now and this helps solve the problem make the numbers easier.

Now if JKJ actually has walked out then yes, the show needs a temporary recast to tie up loose ends (which I shudder at who they will get). But then send Philip out of town after giving a proper goodbye to his family and maybe Chloe. He's not close enough to Stephanie or Melanie for them to be devastated or anything.

What would be a BIG time mistake is to bring in an even younger actor (again who I'm sure will be inexperienced with acting) to try to overcome the hostilities of Melanie being too young. The show needs to remember Philip is running a large scale corporation and even nepotism set aside, he needs to be minimum of the age Philip is now.

heartsong

I'll miss Jay, but he deserves better than this show. He could do very well in primetime.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

Hey DOOL, ow about cutting all these new characters and recasts...who cares about Rafe, Melanie, and the new Brady....

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Nov 14 2008, 02:10 PM
I'm predicting the role of Philip Kiriakis will be recast with either James Stevenson (ex-Jared, PSNS) or Mark Cameron Wystrach (ex-Fox, PSNS).
Didn't the guy who played Jarod on Passions once date Nadia? I don't think he will be joining the cast lol

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

I wonder what this means for James Scott when his contract expires in April? I can't imagine him not wanting a raise to stay on the show

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I take back what I said about Johnson should've taken a paycut. I guess I'm just angry because I'm a fan of his and Philip's and I don't want to see him go, or anyone else play Philip.

He will definitely be successful outside of DAYS. He's very talented.

It's a shame because he seemed so happy with future stories, and his recent pairing with Henning.

I swear to God, if I have to sit through Kyle Brandt's stiff acting again...

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Pearly
Nov 14 2008, 01:54 PM
This is truly upsetting. I can think of at least 6 other actors they could've let go and given JKJ the added salary to. Regardless, I'm sure someone else will grab him or he'll go into primetime.

Oh and one more thing.....I'll never accept a recast of Phillip.

Thanks for posting.
Pearly!!!! :smooch:

ICA!! They could start with Rafe' .....what's his point???? I have to say that I'm taking a liking to the new Brady though. Melanie, Chloe, Lucas, Kate, Dr. Dan, Max just to start could take an extensive vacation and use their money to keep from cutting the actors that are truly needed, such as JKJ.

Paxton
Member Avatar
Dreaming of a Melanie-free Days

I really don't see them recasting Philip, at least for now. I believe the show has been hedging their bets for months now, assuming they might not be able to reach terms with JKJ. That to me is why he recently got isolated into the younger set, with the small exception of the Philip/Kate stuff. He said Tomlin said they were going to explore Phloe again, and that didn't happen. I doubt he expected he'd be stuck in a storyline where he supposedly has inappropriate thoughts about a teenager. He's not front and center in any storyline and even the burgeoning Stephanie/Philip relationship is very simple to terminate right now, as they're nothing more than tentative friends. He may be sick of the backstage crap and the crap story he's put up with for months and I feel like the money was the last straw. I'm sure he would have sucked it up had he been adequately compensated, but to have mostly shitty story AND get paid less, no thanks.

Hopefully he'll get some primetime work. I don't watch fictional primetime TV at all but I would make an exception for him.

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Paxton
Nov 14 2008, 02:23 PM
I really don't see them recasting Philip, at least for now. I believe the show has been hedging their bets for months now, assuming they might not be able to reach terms with JKJ. That to me is why he recently got isolated into the younger set, with the small exception of the Philip/Kate stuff. He said Tomlin said they were going to explore Phloe again, and that didn't happen. I doubt he expected he'd be stuck in a storyline where he supposedly has inappropriate thoughts about a teenager. He's not front and center in any storyline and even the burgeoning Stephanie/Philip relationship is very simple to terminate right now, as they're nothing more than tentative friends. He may be sick of the backstage crap and the crap story he's put up with for months and I feel like the money was the last straw. I'm sure he would have sucked it up had he been adequately compensated, but to have mostly shitty story AND get paid less, no thanks.

Hopefully he'll get some primetime work. I don't watch fictional primetime TV at all but I would make an exception for him.
Right. I see no reason why they can't just terminate the Titan story. I realize they might have to backburner Melanie (God forbid) and Stephanie to figure out what to do with their characters, but they can certainly focus on the other stories going on like Nick's addiction, Jarlena, quad from hell, and Kate's illness.

FanODays

goldylicious
Nov 14 2008, 02:19 PM
I wonder what this means for James Scott when his contract expires in April? I can't imagine him not wanting a raise to stay on the show
I want more money too and I work hard but I am not counting on it. We are in a time when the choice is collect unemployment or take the money you can get.

As for JKJ, I don't believe this is all about money, he's smart enough to know how bad things are. My guess is that the story has a lot to do with it. Philip is being as badly written as he was when Jay left the first time.

Please don't let Philip re-enlist and lose another body part.

Mikegoldy
Member Avatar

FanODays
Nov 14 2008, 02:28 PM
goldylicious
I want more money too and I work hard but I am not counting on it. We are in a time when the choice is collect unemployment or take the money you can get.

As for JKJ, I don't believe this is all about money, he's smart enough to know how bad things are. My guess is that the story has a lot to do with it. Philip is being as badly written as he was when Jay left the first time.

See, I don't think that Philip's story is that bad. I've been interested in his story. But Jay Johnson is single, is a viable leading man, and can get other work. I understand why he wouldn't want to take a paycut, it's no as if he is a Dee or a Kristian who have spent years on the show and are truly invested in it. And as much as I love the actor, the character isn't THAT important to the show.

pspcindy
Member Avatar

Of all the crappy things happening on DOOL, this is the last thing I expected. Why couldn't this be the hack HW?

JKJ is the only Philip. He has history with the show, is good to look at and he can act.

I cannot believe they hired GG and are actually paying him to do his line reading and let JKJ go without giving him some concessions.

That is just wrong.

FanODays

goldylicious
Nov 14 2008, 02:34 PM
FanODays
Nov 14 2008, 02:28 PM
goldylicious

See, I don't think that Philip's story is that bad. I've been interested in his story. But Jay Johnson is single, is a viable leading man, and can get other work. I understand why he wouldn't want to take a paycut, it's no as if he is a Dee or a Kristian who have spent years on the show and are truly invested in it. And as much as I love the actor, the character isn't THAT important to the show.
Its obviously a personal choice as to whether Jay takes a pay cut but given how unemployment is the highest its been in decades, I find it hard to believe that money has that much to do with it. Like someone said, this was probably just the last straw.

I adore Jay too but ever since Belle left town and Phelle was dropped, I don't think they knew what to do with the character. The dock story was dropped, Chloe is with Lucas, Morgan left town, now he's chattin' away with Stephanie and Melanie or having moments with Chloe. I just don't think the show knows what to do with him.

Ellie

Paxton
I really don't see them recasting Philip, at least for now.
Well I don't think it's that simple though... if they have scenes scheduled for him already, they can't just remove Phillip from those scenes. It would take a lot of hours (on the part of many people) to retool the stories at the last minute without him. It's probably easier just to bring in a quick recast.

jane1978

Paxton

But JKJ always wanted work with the younger set. In almost every interview he says he would most likely change his place with Darin Brooks because he has all those beautifull girls around him. They even split Corday´s beloved Stax so he can be paired/have scenes with Shelley.

I think this all boils down to Gary Tomlin. He was probably so angry Jay wasn´t willing to accept paycut he fired him himself, especially if the show went out of its way to fullfill all his wishes.

I think the recast is a sure thing.

Days4Life

If they are losing JKJ, they should write out the character. No recast, unless it's temporary to wrap up his story (and that probably will be necessary). I won't be surprised if the whole Roberts family disappears.
Edited by Days4Life, Nov 14 2008, 02:43 PM.

cjknick
Member Avatar

goldylicious
James said months ago he was already in contract neg already and that at that point it was not about money it was more about the writing ....

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

Ellie
Nov 14 2008, 02:40 PM
Paxton
I really don't see them recasting Philip, at least for now.
Well I don't think it's that simple though... if they have scenes scheduled for him already, they can't just remove Phillip from those scenes. It would take a lot of hours (on the part of many people) to retool the stories at the last minute without him. It's probably easier just to bring in a quick recast.
Quick recast is one thing. I understand if the show must do that (I find it hard to believe JKJ just walked out like that though.) But I worry they will try to make this new recast a permanent Philip.

Charmqn
Member Avatar

They could bring in a temporary recast for Philiip, if they are still some scenes that need to be done, then they can have Victor ship him off for a business trip or something.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply