Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Petition to fire Higley
Topic Started: Nov 15 2008, 03:31 PM (2,416 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 16 2008, 12:45 AM
What classic episodes would you want them to air? I would like to see the first years.
I've heard alot about the 80's and I saw most of the 90's. Lord knows they can save any shit from the 00's. I think I'd most like to see the stuff that Bill Bell wrote.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

I'd like to see the stuff from the 70's that many people consider to be the "Golden Age" of DAYS.

naley12
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 16 2008, 12:43 AM
naley12
Nov 15 2008, 11:54 PM
Link to a petition that someone started
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveDaysFireDena/
I just thought about this after posting on that, should we sign it with real names and not screennames?
It really does not matter to me I mean your real name your Screen name or even anyomous I do not mind I am just campaining and doing all I can if you want to help please pm me :)

naley12
Member Avatar

I would Love to see the 2000's when the Teen scene was on Which was my fave I never really saw anything past the 99 considering in 1999 I was 10 and now I am going to be 20

Alin89
Member Avatar

terry wrote on the petition and its funny

Kenny
Member Avatar

I often wonder what it must be like for a person who started watching Days after 1999. It must be like a completely different experience. The show must have a completely different identity for them.

naley12
Member Avatar

soapoperafan01
Nov 16 2008, 01:09 AM
terry wrote on the petition and its funny
haha I know I read it Please Fire Dena but thanks for bringing melanie WHAT??? :laugh:

naley12
Member Avatar

Kenny
I often wonder what it must be like for a person who started watching Days after 1999. It must be like a completely different experience. The show must have a completely different identity to them.
yeah your right it does. I started watching days when I was younger around seven but on and off then When I saw Shawn and Belle and Philip and Chloe I was hooked. I also fell in love with bo and hope and Lucas and Sami. I am one of those people who is like Huh?? when someone mentions things about Steve and Kayla or Kim and Shane, and many many more things I have no Idea about Like Steve and Victors Rivalry and such. I am a I guess the supposed New Generation fan well the Generation they Ruined.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

OKAY, I signed it but only 30ish signatures? You guys gotta do better than that!

EJole
Member Avatar
BANNED

I'll be more than happy to sign it, but where can I :o

naley12
Member Avatar

ElvisDiMera
Nov 16 2008, 01:45 AM
OKAY, I signed it but only 30ish signatures? You guys gotta do better than that!
I know Come on Guys!!
to be fair I only put it up 10-20 min ago

naley12
Member Avatar

EJole
Nov 16 2008, 01:46 AM
I'll be more than happy to sign it, but where can I :o
here you go here is the link
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SaveDaysFireDena/

Jiggs
Member Avatar

ericfan400
Nov 15 2008, 03:31 PM
Other posters on another board was talking about signing a petition to has Dena Higley fired from Days. I'll post the link to the petition when it is posted
What's the point honestly? This show is winding down and it won't matter who's writing when it does. I want to know why they bothered to renew it for 18 months? I don't see the point.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jiggs
Nov 16 2008, 02:08 AM
ericfan400
Nov 15 2008, 03:31 PM
Other posters on another board was talking about signing a petition to has Dena Higley fired from Days. I'll post the link to the petition when it is posted
What's the point honestly? This show is winding down and it won't matter who's writing when it does. I want to know why they bothered to renew it for 18 months? I don't see the point.
But at least you can say you tried.

These things can work. They can be effective and we all know Corday gets scared and reverses things. He always does.

All the time and effort people spent on complaining about Higley and her stories this year, imagine all the campaigning to get rid of her so many could've done. If you don't like her and want change, try to do something about it. It won't always work but at least, in the end, you can say you tried and feel better about things. That's JMO.

Shylock

Would there also be any benefit in starting an email campaign to the people at Sony? And if so, perhaps someone should come up with a list of the people of whom would be best to contact there.

They do own, like, what? 40% of Days? They have to have a big stake in this show's success.

cassie1013

Kenny
I often wonder what it must be like for a person who started watching Days after 1999. It must be like a completely different experience. The show must have a completely different identity for them.
I think it is too. Although I remember parts of the possession storyline, the secret room, Sami/Austin/Carrie and such, I wasn't truly invested in DAYS as a fan until right around, or a bit before, the John and Marlena wedding. That had to have been mid-99.

In my experience on this forum, I think there's a lot of people yearning for that early 90's identity of DAYS, but I know my cousin and I (who are both turning 20 and have the same viewing history) more so want that 1999 - 2001 era back. Or what is sometimes referred to as "Langan's reign of terror" around here - I loved all the stories then, and I admit that would be my total DAYS ideal. Coronation, Princess Gina, the teen scene, Kate/Victor, Vivian, baby switch, Stefano etc. were all great for me and an absolute joy to watch. The funny thing is that there's a large number of "80's characters" who weren't even around for ANY of that shit....I had no idea who Steve, Kayla, Anna, and for the most part, Tony, even WERE, yet they still told good story. It's weird to me now that in the late 2000's the show has tried to redefine itself with 80's characters after such a huge time gap, and maybe that's causing the problem. It's 2 steps back. The show today, with the mix of characters seems like this weird blend of growth (characters like EJ SORASed on the scene) and DAYS long forgotten past (Steve and Kayla). I'm not opposed to people coming back, in fact I love it if done right as it shows DAYS rich history, but how effective are returns with almost 20 year gaps? The more I think about it, the more I feel like Steve and Kayla's return was COMPLETELY unnecessary as they seemed to fuck the canvas up.. I can't put my finger as to why, but there's something that's dated about them and I feel it every time they're on my screen. They aren't classic DAYS to me, or any of my generation. I felt myself trying to buy into the "ooh, 80's DAYS awesomeness!" craze when they came on, but it didn't work because obviously I'm way too young to know that era. Maybe they as a couple defined the 80's, but for me, John and Marlena defined the 90's and they are a much more central couple in terms of recent(ish) history.

So, yeah, it is a completely different experience. And I think I can say that objectively with my exposure to DAYS pre-1999, and becoming an actual invested fan that same year. There's such a huge difference, and I think for a lot of the younger viewers, if the 1999 - 01 teen scene/coronation/princess Gina doesn't define DAYS for them, the craziness of JER's serial killer storyline definitely does. This fan base is just impossible to please....you have all different groups wanting different things. I think the younger people are more likely to drop the show, but the older viewers aren't, so it's probably best to try and appease the MOST invested fanbase than trying to entice newer viewers who are going to be unpredictable with their viewing patterns.
Edited by cassie1013, Nov 16 2008, 06:11 AM.

cassie1013

Oops, and on the original topic - I don't know, I have to take a step back here. How many times has this happened in the last 3 years? Fire this person, fire that person - is that going to solve the problem? If Higley goes, who are we going to get? I feel like we've all been through this so many times - "JER fired! Hogan Hired! YAY!" and then, "Fire Sheffer, fire Sheffer!", "He's gone! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"...gives me a headache thinking about it.

I try and look at the shows problems objectively, and I know from people in the industry that being a writer is DIFFICULT. You are under pressure of executives, producers, and the network who can constantly scrap your ideas and force you to write for certain people. If Higley wasn't talented, believe me, she would not be able to be in the position she's in today. There's only what, 9 soaps? That means there's only NINE head writer jobs in the industry - think about how limited that is. While I don't think Corday is the sharpest tool in the shed, you have to look at the facts...DAYS isn't her first head writing stint, is it? She arguably HAS come up with great story using characters that everyone wants to see, but budget, Corday and other variables ex-nay them, sending the writing team back to the drawing board over and over. Considering the limitations they have, I don't think she's doing ALL that bad (I mean there are some bad things...but in terms of the big picture).

While I don't think Higley is the BEST writer, I don't think firing her is the answer to any problems. It's a start, but I'm more inclined to say that Corday is the problem here. If Higley goes, I'd be willing to bet the show will continue to have problems (one of which - identity crisis - is actually solely CAUSED by this yo-yoing of writers), and probably worse ones too.
Edited by cassie1013, Nov 16 2008, 06:23 AM.

King
Member Avatar

I really do not think Higley is behind what is going on at DAYS. I am not sure what the petition will accomplish.

Regardless, I will sign it. Haha. I just think DAYS could be a lot more exciting. I am hoping the bloodbaths will equate to us having people on-screen fans care about.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

cassie1013
Nov 16 2008, 06:09 AM
Kenny
I think it is too. Although I remember parts of the possession storyline, the secret room, Sami/Austin/Carrie and such, I wasn't truly invested in DAYS as a fan until right around, or a bit before, the John and Marlena wedding. That had to have been mid-99.

In my experience on this forum, I think there's a lot of people yearning for that early 90's identity of DAYS, but I know my cousin and I (who are both turning 20 and have the same viewing history) more so want that 1999 - 2001 era back. Or what is sometimes referred to as "Langan's reign of terror" around here - I loved all the stories then, and I admit that would be my total DAYS ideal. Coronation, Princess Gina, the teen scene, Kate/Victor, Vivian, baby switch, Stefano etc. were all great for me and an absolute joy to watch. The funny thing is that there's a large number of "80's characters" who weren't even around for ANY of that shit....I had no idea who Steve, Kayla, Anna, and for the most part, Tony, even WERE, yet they still told good story. It's weird to me now that in the late 2000's the show has tried to redefine itself with 80's characters after such a huge time gap, and maybe that's causing the problem. It's 2 steps back. The show today, with the mix of characters seems like this weird blend of growth (characters like EJ SORASed on the scene) and DAYS long forgotten past (Steve and Kayla). I'm not opposed to people coming back, in fact I love it if done right as it shows DAYS rich history, but how effective are returns with almost 20 year gaps? The more I think about it, the more I feel like Steve and Kayla's return was COMPLETELY unnecessary as they seemed to fuck the canvas up.. I can't put my finger as to why, but there's something that's dated about them and I feel it every time they're on my screen. They aren't classic DAYS to me, or any of my generation. I felt myself trying to buy into the "ooh, 80's DAYS awesomeness!" craze when they came on, but it didn't work because obviously I'm way too young to know that era. Maybe they as a couple defined the 80's, but for me, John and Marlena defined the 90's and they are a much more central couple in terms of recent(ish) history.

So, yeah, it is a completely different experience. And I think I can say that objectively with my exposure to DAYS pre-1999, and becoming an actual invested fan that same year. There's such a huge difference, and I think for a lot of the younger viewers, if the 1999 - 01 teen scene/coronation/princess Gina doesn't define DAYS for them, the craziness of JER's serial killer storyline definitely does. This fan base is just impossible to please....you have all different groups wanting different things. I think the younger people are more likely to drop the show, but the older viewers aren't, so it's probably best to try and appease the MOST invested fanbase than trying to entice newer viewers who are going to be unpredictable with their viewing patterns.
Yep. That is the main problem and I think that is what has caused Corday's kneejerk reactions in the past decade. There are so many fan groups out there that when he listens to one, he pisses another off. He then tries to please the one he pissed off but pisses another group off and so on.

You can't please everyone and the show just needs to reinvent itself, commit to a direction, and stay with it. Whoever you lose, you lose. It may not work in the end but it worked in the 80's and 90's.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

cassie1013
Nov 16 2008, 06:20 AM
Oops, and on the original topic - I don't know, I have to take a step back here. How many times has this happened in the last 3 years? Fire this person, fire that person - is that going to solve the problem? If Higley goes, who are we going to get? I feel like we've all been through this so many times - "JER fired! Hogan Hired! YAY!" and then, "Fire Sheffer, fire Sheffer!", "He's gone! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"...gives me a headache thinking about it.

I try and look at the shows problems objectively, and I know from people in the industry that being a writer is DIFFICULT. You are under pressure of executives, producers, and the network who can constantly scrap your ideas and force you to write for certain people. If Higley wasn't talented, believe me, she would not be able to be in the position she's in today. There's only what, 9 soaps? That means there's only NINE head writer jobs in the industry - think about how limited that is. While I don't think Corday is the sharpest tool in the shed, you have to look at the facts...DAYS isn't her first head writing stint, is it? She arguably HAS come up with great story using characters that everyone wants to see, but budget, Corday and other variables ex-nay them, sending the writing team back to the drawing board over and over. Considering the limitations they have, I don't think she's doing ALL that bad (I mean there are some bad things...but in terms of the big picture).

While I don't think Higley is the BEST writer, I don't think firing her is the answer to any problems. It's a start, but I'm more inclined to say that Corday is the problem here. If Higley goes, I'd be willing to bet the show will continue to have problems (one of which - identity crisis - is actually solely CAUSED by this yo-yoing of writers), and probably worse ones too.
I agree.

I'm not even saying you keep her long-term. I just think right now is all wrong to do it. There is much else going on and you are just coming off of a upheaval behind the scenes where an EP was re-writing your HW's material.

At least, let the dust settle first and then, if you axe her, make sure you have your ducks in a row because another long transition period will pretty much kill this show.

And your so right about writing being difficult. I'm not a Higley fan either but just think about what the HW has to deal with in general. I said this when Hogan was there and I will say it again. You have an EP who tries to please everyone and constantly interferes and dumps story to do so. You have a network who wants what they want and whose loyalty to you is on thin ice. You have cast members who will have issues with the writing here and there at times. And you have fanbases and fan groups...all wanting different things.

Yeah. I would pretty much toss myself out a window within a week of being Days HW. I really would. Writing, in general, is hard enough as it is.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 16 2008, 04:08 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply