Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirming the DH'S are gone
Topic Started: Nov 17 2008, 12:47 PM (7,374 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Yeah. At least they get a payoff.

I mean, it's been obvious the show had no idea what to do with them after this story was over and they were reunited. That is why I think they dragged their feet with their story. As much as it hurts, I think this is for the best for the characters and for their fans because it was getting tiresome.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I am glad their getting their happy ending. J&M fans deserve that. I do think that NBC is giving them 18 mos to tie up all the stories and I think that will be it............J&M will be back at the end along with many others which is the way it should be for a soap like Days..........the fans of a long running show like this deserve that much. I will be sad to see it go...... :frown:

e83talus
Member Avatar

At least now I can get off of this emotional merry go round that has been J&M's s/l since January 2007! :moon:

destinyrules
Member Avatar

e83talus
Nov 17 2008, 01:49 PM
At least now I can get off of this emotional merry go round that has been J&M's s/l since January 2007! :moon:
That is seriously like the only bright spot for me right now... Now I won't have to be jerked around by this show with them anymore, and I can just stick with watching the good stuff... God I love youtube.

Days4Life

If one is leaving, I'm glad they are both leaving. They can have their HEA--because, really, on a soap the only way you get one is if you leave the show. However, it's sad...the end of an era. Their reunion, probably around Christmas, will be very bittersweet.

I know John and Marlena have a lot of very devoted fans, and to those of you reading this I just want to say how sorry I am...this is horrible news for all of you. I like them and will miss them but will keep watching. Maybe they will be back again...with this show, never say never.

Mason

This is unbelievable.

And to be honest, I really don't think they'll be back. At least not until the finale.

Ives
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 17 2008, 01:44 PM

I mean, it's been obvious the show had no idea what to do with them after this story was over and they were reunited. That is why I think they dragged their feet with their story. As much as it hurts, I think this is for the best for the characters and for their fans because it was getting tiresome.

I sincerely feel bad for the J&M fans and, of course, Drake and Deidre themselves. Of all of the recent firings, these two, to be sure, are the most shocking and emotional.

I believe that Days is going to be making a significant shift in concentrating on the younger characters with the vets, if anything, being very much only supporting players. While a rational part of me understands this and realizes this was done in the '80s, there is another part of me that questions the viability of such a move when, IMO, the younger set is very very weak both character-wise and acting-wise.

The characters have all been so thinly written in the last few years or their characterization has been bounced around. The women are essentially focused only on the men in their lives. Sure the "vets" were sidelined in the '80s, but you had younger characters like Hope who had tons of characterization and storyline outside of just Bo. Steve came onscreen with no history or family ties in Salem but SN was such a strong and charismatic actor that a whole new family was able to be built around him so that he ended up with one of the most intricate family backgrounds. Kim's issues with her family incest were not simply a catalyst for her and Shane but to explore broader family relationships.

So it is the firing of JKJ and Blake Berris that has me concerned for the future of the show. IMO, these were the two strongest actors from the younger set (and I would even go so far to say the 30ish crowd, outside of James Scott). They come from integrated families and both had some background that would make for interesting material. If they have to make some hard choices with the vets, I can understand that from a financial perspective. But from a future story building perspective, I don't understand how getting rid of your two strongest younger actors is a good first move.

Hopefully, they can come to terms with JKJ. As far as Blake, where is the "official" news on him. I have only seen a reference to a post on Soap Central by someone who I have not seen post many spoilers before . . .

peaches179

destinyrules
Nov 17 2008, 02:03 PM
e83talus
That is seriously like the only bright spot for me right now... Now I won't have to be jerked around by this show with them anymore, and I can just stick with watching the good stuff... God I love youtube.

:hail: God bless youtube.

Mason

PhoenixRising05

Why does it feel more like a slap in the face than a payoff?

KMan101
Member Avatar

Wow. That's just sad. Horribly sad. I feel really bad for Drake and Deidre and I absolutely hate Ken Corday. He's probably the most moronic and horrible producer in history. Hands down. He makes so many terrible decisions it's insane. It's truly insane.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 17 2008, 02:11 PM
PhoenixRising05

Why does it feel more like a slap in the face than a payoff?
It really sort of does feel that way doesn't it?

Pearly
Member Avatar

JANALH
I am glad their getting their happy ending. J&M fans deserve that. I do think that NBC is giving them 18 mos to tie up all the stories and I think that will be it............J&M will be back at the end along with many others which is the way it should be for a soap like Days..........the fans of a long running show like this deserve that much. I will be sad to see it go...... :frown:
With however much I have lost interest in the show, your sentence brings a lump to my throat. It makes me sad that DOOL could be gone in 18 months time. :frown:

phloeishot
Member Avatar

You guys should read Jamey's blog on DC. I think he's hilarious.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/wishful-casting-deidre-hall-to-y-r-as-diane-jenkins

I'm too stunned to even give a proper reaction to the news that the IDIOT in charge of Days of Our Lives just fired two of the most popular stars in the history of daytime television, hopefully by tonight's podcast I will have thought of something to say that won't require Luke purchasing a cuss box. So to keep from sticking pins into a voodoo doll replica of Ken Corday's beloved golf bag, I figured I would do a Wishful Casting for Deidre Hall.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

phloeishot
Nov 17 2008, 02:29 PM
You guys should read Jamey's blog on DC. I think he's hilarious.

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2008/11/wishful-casting-deidre-hall-to-y-r-as-diane-jenkins

I'm too stunned to even give a proper reaction to the news that the IDIOT in charge of Days of Our Lives just fired two of the most popular stars in the history of daytime television, hopefully by tonight's podcast I will have thought of something to say that won't require Luke purchasing a cuss box. So to keep from sticking pins into a voodoo doll replica of Ken Corday's beloved golf bag, I figured I would do a Wishful Casting for Deidre Hall.
He got it right calling the man an idiot, LOL.

Mason

Quote:

Speaking of Ashley, it gives me chills just thinking about Hall once again squaring off against Eileen Davidson, who famously starred opposite Hall as Marlena's mortal enemy Kristen Blake on Days.

YES! YES! YES!

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm surprised by how quick we got conformation..Its so weird, i'm not bothered by this news at all and John and Marlena have always been two of my favorite couples..I just don't care anymore...I really hope the show ends in 18 months...I'm ready for it be done..And i want a huge finale with Jack, Jennifer, Shane, Kimberly, Vivian, Eugene, Caliope, John, Marlena, Carrie, Austin, and a bunch of our other favorites..

Mason

Kevc1980
Nov 17 2008, 02:41 PM
I really hope the show ends in 18 months...I'm ready for it be done..And i want a huge finale with Jack, Jennifer, Shane, Kimberly, Vivian, Eugene, Caliope, John, Marlena, Carrie, Austin, and a bunch of our other favorites..
I so agree. And I never thought I'd say that about DAYS, but it's really how I feel now. As bad as the show seems now, I know that it's only gonna get worse from here. I'd rather just skip through all of that and see DAYS go out on a high now versus prolong the suffering.

Days4Life

Ives
Nov 17 2008, 02:09 PM

I believe that Days is going to be making a significant shift in concentrating on the younger characters with the vets, if anything, being very much only supporting players. While a rational part of me understands this and realizes this was done in the '80s, there is another part of me that questions the viability of such a move when, IMO, the younger set is very very weak both character-wise and acting-wise.

The characters have all been so thinly written in the last few years or their characterization has been bounced around. The women are essentially focused only on the men in their lives. Sure the "vets" were sidelined in the '80s, but you had younger characters like Hope who had tons of characterization and storyline outside of just Bo. Steve came onscreen with no history or family ties in Salem but SN was such a strong and charismatic actor that a whole new family was able to be built around him so that he ended up with one of the most intricate family backgrounds. Kim's issues with her family incest were not simply a catalyst for her and Shane but to explore broader family relationships.

So it is the firing of JKJ and Blake Berris that has me concerned for the future of the show. IMO, these were the two strongest actors from the younger set (and I would even go so far to say the 30ish crowd, outside of James Scott). They come from integrated families and both had some background that would make for interesting material. If they have to make some hard choices with the vets, I can understand that from a financial perspective. But from a future story building perspective, I don't understand how getting rid of your two strongest younger actors is a good first move.

You make some very good points. The show can't focus on the vets forever, and a shift to the younger characters has to happen eventually; however, like you, I am concerned about the state of the younger cast right. We're getting overloaded with Sami, EJ, Nicole and Melanie, but I'd still rather watch them than Max, Stephanie, Chelsea and Dr. Dan (not that I consider Daniel a part of the younger character set). Chloe and Lucas are two I wanted gone for a long time, but right now--especially with JKJ's rumored departure--they are looking pretty good. But can Chloe, Lucas, Sami, Nicole, EJ, Chelsea, Max, Stephanie and Melanie carry the show? I don't know, but we may be finding out. The characters were better in the 80s, when I lost a lot of my favorites, but the transition was still difficult so now, with the mess that the younger set is in, it's going to be very challenging to get viewers to care about and invest in them. They have to try, though, if there's any chance for the show to survive.

brimike

Kevc1980
I'm surprised by how quick we got conformation..Its so weird, i'm not bothered by this news at all and John and Marlena have always been two of my favorite couples..I just don't care anymore...I really hope the show ends in 18 months...I'm ready for it be done..And i want a huge finale with Jack, Jennifer, Shane, Kimberly, Vivian, Eugene, Caliope, John, Marlena, Carrie, Austin, and a bunch of our other favorites..
While this is every soap fan's dream come true, I guarantee you it'll end up being Max and <insert cousin's name here>'s wedding. With eight people. In the pub.

peaches179

Kevc1980

I would love for that to happen!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply