Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirming the DH'S are gone
Topic Started: Nov 17 2008, 12:47 PM (7,364 Views)
Carengodt

I think its quite odd that we have seen official confirmation with regards to Drake and Deidre yet nothing with regards to JKJ yet. Perhaps there is still more going on behind the scenes. So far all we have gotten has been rumours, there has been no confirmation by Days. KC talked of the J/M departure but not of Philip's to SOD, so maybe TPTB are still trying to make a deal ???
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

And so it.....and Era of DAYS is dead, and a new one is dawning. But with Higley and Corday at the helm, I dont have faith that nuDays will last beyond the 18 months.

Mason

DAYS's only hope at this point is if it gets a new Head Writer who can actually tell compelling stories that make you invested in the characters and get you to want to tune in, day after day.

But, ah, who am I kidding...

daysfan
Member Avatar

Carengodt
Nov 17 2008, 03:00 PM
I think its quite odd that we have seen official confirmation with regards to Drake and Deidre yet nothing with regards to JKJ yet. Perhaps there is still more going on behind the scenes. So far all we have gotten has been rumours, there has been no confirmation by Days. KC talked of the J/M departure but not of Philip's to SOD, so maybe TPTB are still trying to make a deal ???
Now that both Drake and Deidre are gone, I am sure they can pay for JKJ.

Jonatha

Mason
Nov 17 2008, 03:04 PM
DAYS's only hope at this point is if it gets a new Head Writer who can actually tell compelling stories that make you invested in the characters and get you to want to tune in, day after day.

But, ah, who am I kidding...
Yes, I agree. The "DH" who really should have been fired is Higley. :flipoff:

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Another Round of Kudos to ANGIE79!......I dont think anyone should question her cred again, with a scoop like this! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Edited by Nubia, Nov 17 2008, 03:07 PM.

Jonatha

Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 03:06 PM
Another Round of Kudos to ANGIE79!......I dont think anyone should question her cred again, with a scoop like this! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Amen, Nubia. Angie is our Supreme Spoiler Queen! :cheer:

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Jonatha
Nov 17 2008, 03:11 PM
Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 03:06 PM
Amen, Nubia. Angie is our Supreme Spoiler Queen! :cheer:
Seriously Angie, way to go...I wish the news would have been a different supercouple though..But your quite the scoopster..

Ellie

Well, I'm done watching Days when Deidre leaves. That's not a threat by the way - it's not, "I'll show you Days, I won't watch anymore." Days really doesn't care if I watch or not (obviously). It's more of a statement of fact; I really have no desire at all to watch the show if Deidre Hall isn't on. (Conversely, I absolutely would have watched even if - Heaven forbid - she'd turned into a modern-day Alice, dispensing cookies and advice to her children.) I became hooked on Days because of Deidre, and I've been a viewer until now because of her. I have the feeling many, many others are in the same boat.

Do I think the ratings will go down? Yes, but slowly, through attrition. For all our participation in the "online community", I really don't think it's a microcosm at all of the larger viewership. There are many, many fans of the show who aren't online, and they're largely of a different demographic than we 'online fans' are. Those fans don't know about this yet. Some will see it in SOD, which will actually give the show a ratings boost until Drake and Deidre leave. Some will watch John and Marlena's last scene and not realize that's what they're watching, unless Days promos it to the hilt (which they very well might).

But the thing is, these viewers (many of the non-online ones) see the characters as friends. They tune in each day to check up on them. Marlena is unique, even among long-term characters. Deidre's charisma, beauty, screen presence and sheer talent have made Marlena Evans arguably the most popular soap character in history. Viewers are drawn to her, and by extension, they are drawn to the rest of the stories on Days. When Marlena is removed from the canvas, those who tune in to check up on her won't be able to anymore. They may want to pay a visit to whichever veteran characters are there, though if the airtime of those characters is cut, that too will cause a ratings drop. The bottom line is, very few viewers are going to turn on Days to see how Melanie, Dr. Dan, EJ and Stephanie are doing. They may check up on other characters from time to time, but I don't think it will be with the same frequency or devotion with which they tuned in to see the 'vets', Marlena foremost among them.

Last, a word on integrity. When one thinks of the high points in Days' forty-three year history, what come to mind are Deidre's stories, especially in the 90's and in the past decade. Of course, there are other stories, but Deidre's talent (along with JER's writing) carried the show for many years. I am having trouble putting my feelings on this into words, but for a show known for, shall we say, 'slimy' moves, this is the lowest of the low. Deidre worked 18 hour days through the 80's and 90's. She promoted the show whenever she was asked to. She is the essence of professionalism; she has never spoken badly of the show nor the writers, and we all know she may have had reason to. She is even known for giving interviews which frame stories in too good a light; that's the extent to which she cares about the show and its success. I simply cannot fathom how a show could remove someone like that from the canvas. I suppose I should be happy that I've never been exposed to a business decision such as this; however, it pains me so much to know that someone I care about has.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 17 2008, 03:20 PM.

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

I'd feel more positive about this if there were competent writers in place to bring in the new era of Days. But with Dena at the helm, Days is likely to continue to fall flat on its face.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I think it would be awesome if Dee landed a supporting role on a primetime series....be it NBC, CW or Cable.... Her release is just in time for Pilot Season.

FanODays

Ellie
Nov 17 2008, 03:14 PM
Well, I'm done watching Days when Deidre leaves. That's not a threat by the way - it's not, "I'll show you Days, I won't watch anymore." Days really doesn't care if I watch or not (obviously). It's more of a statement of fact; I really have no desire at all to watch the show if Deidre Hall isn't on. (Conversely, I absolutely would have watched even if - Heaven forbid - she'd turned into a modern-day Alice, dispensing cookies and advice to her children.) I became hooked on Days because of Deidre, and I've been a viewer until now because of her. I have the feeling many, many others are in the same boat.

Do I think the ratings will go down? Yes, but slowly, through attrition. For all our participation in the "online community", I really don't think it's a microcosm at all of the larger viewership. There are many, many fans of the show who aren't online, and they're largely of a different demographic than we 'online fans' are. Those fans don't know about this yet. Some will see it in SOD, which will actually give the show a ratings boost until Drake and Deidre leave. Some will watch John and Marlena's last scene and not realize that's what they're watching, unless Days promos it to the hilt (which they very well might).

But the thing is, these viewers (many of the non-online ones) see the characters as friends. They tune in each day to check up on them. Marlena is unique, even among long-term characters. Deidre's charisma, beauty, screen presence and sheer talent have made Marlena Evans arguably the most popular soap character in history. Viewers are drawn to her, and by extension, they are drawn to the rest of the stories on Days. When Marlena is removed from the canvas, those who tune in to check up on her won't be able to anymore. They may want to pay a visit to whichever veteran characters are there, though if the airtime of those characters is cut, that too will cause a ratings drop. The bottom line is, very few viewers are going to turn on Days to see how Melanie, Dr. Dan, EJ and Stephanie are doing. They may check up on other characters from time to time, but I don't think it will be with the same frequency or devotion with which they tuned in to see the 'vets', Marlena foremost among them.

Last, a word on integrity. When one thinks of the high points in Days' forty-three year history, what come to mind are Deidre's stories, especially in the 90's and in the past decade. Of course, there are other stories, but Deidre's talent (along with JER's writing) carried the show for many years. I am having trouble putting my feelings on this into words, but for a show known for, shall we say, 'slimy' moves, this is the lowest of the low. Deidre worked 18 hour days through the 80's and 90's. She promoted the show whenever she was asked to. She is the essence of professionalism; she has never spoken badly of the show nor the writers, and we all know she may have had reason to. She is even known for giving interviews which frame stories in too good a light; that's the extent to which she cares about the show and its success. I simply cannot fathom how a show could remove someone like that from the canvas. I suppose I should be happy that I've never been exposed to a business decision such as this; however, it pains me so much to know that someone I care about has.
Days might as well move to the Disney channel with Bope and S&K being the equivalent of Billy Ray Cyrus except that I don't think Disney would get behind a love story for a rapist and his victim.

Days lost its integrity back when the dead weren't really dead and we all found out we were on the receiving end of a hoax.

I don't think the ratings will suffer much directly from this but more from what Days is becoming and what it no longer is. Its not a show about love conquering all or how people fight and work for love. I don't know what its about to be honest but I do know that it doesn't interest me at all these days. The firings of Dee & Drake prove that the show will not be balanced unless somehow Bope and S&K get stories but I doubt it. Max and his nieces, EJ and his harem and others that I know and care little about seem poised to dominate.

Yes its true that in times of financial crisis dead wood has to go but I hardly consider Dee and Drake that. Their dismissals show that Corday has no sense of loyalty, which fans of Ashford, Pinson and Beemer know all too well.

Its a sad day.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

This has "scam" and "sub-plot" written ALL OVER it!

Sure DH/DHH are gone, but for NOW!

They will be back, I am 100% guaranteed!

Corday himself says they are gone "for now".

WTF does that mean?

kieron

Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 03:29 PM
I think it would be awesome if Dee landed a supporting role on a primetime series....be it NBC, CW or Cable.... Her release is just in time for Pilot Season.

I hope that happens. I would watch
Edited by kieron, Nov 17 2008, 03:35 PM.

FanODays

brimike
Nov 17 2008, 01:08 PM
How anybody still believes a word that man says is beyond me. "For now"? Right... because clearly Days will get higher ad rates after six months without DH and DH and they'll come back. I can't wait for his "interview" in next week's issue. I'm sure it'll ignite me into yet another furious rant. Yee haw.

If this is all a gimmick where they are fired and the plan really is to bring them back in May for a ratings boost I hope both of them tell Corday to shove his offer.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Corday does the "for now" with everyone he fires....I am sure he will toss in a "the door is always open for their return" too,

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 03:39 PM
Corday does the "for now" with everyone he fires....I am sure he will toss in a "the door is always open for their return" too,
Days really should switch to half year contracts for their stars...Have part of the cast on half the year, then switch out the other half...There is no reason to be paying actors when they are on the backburner and never seen...Plus it would give the actors chances to do other projects during their off time with the show..

Could you imagine if Drake and Deidre could work 6 months out of the year every day, then have the other 6 months off to do other stuff and be with their families...
Edited by Kevc1980, Nov 17 2008, 03:42 PM.

jules

Mitchapalooza
Nov 17 2008, 03:32 PM
This has "scam" and "sub-plot" written ALL OVER it!

Sure DH/DHH are gone, but for NOW!

They will be back, I am 100% guaranteed!

Corday himself says they are gone "for now".

WTF does that mean?
It means he's spinning things and using his usual doubletalk. I don't believe a single word and anybody that thinks J&M and Deidre and Drake are going to get a fitting send off is crazy!

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 03:39 PM
and I hope they both tell him where that door can hit him.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Full List of the 2nd annual Daytime Royalty Soap Opera Award Nominations have been announced. Congratulate DAYS on their 13 nominations

http://s7.zetaboards.com/DaytimeRoyalty/topic/8037376/1/?x=0

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply