Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD Confirming the DH'S are gone
Topic Started: Nov 17 2008, 12:47 PM (7,550 Views)
CatherineEarnshaw

The people in the podcast speak the truth. Deidre has been the star of Days for eons.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

AllTheSame
Nov 18 2008, 06:40 AM
Amello
Nov 18 2008, 01:52 AM
Mitchapalooza
Nov 18 2008, 01:50 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 18 2008, 01:47 AM
You all know me...it will take alot to get me to feel the way many of you do.

However, I can't say I blame you. I really can't. I feel for all the disheartened fans and for all the J&M fans and all the fans who will be affected by what is to come. I've been through massive changes with this show before but this will likely be one of the toughest so my thoughts to all those upset and unsettled by this.
I was able to make it through the Salem Stalker storyline with all the firings, EVEN Alice...but this may be too much if DH/DDH/PR/KA all have been let go.
Out of ignorance may I ask for DH/DDH what does DDH stand for?
Dee Dee Hall :lol:

DH = Deidre Hall
DDH = Donald Drake Hall Hogestyn

some people refer to them as DHer DHim
i think that's hilarious lol
and very smart
LOL!

I have thought FOR YEARS that is what it meant...Dee Dee Hall. I have seen many people refer to DDH as that as well.

DH = Drake Hogestyn
DDH = Dee Dee Hall (lol).

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

jane1978
Nov 18 2008, 03:37 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 18 2008, 03:12 PM
jane1978
Nov 18 2008, 03:03 PM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 18 2008, 02:50 PM
Ellie
Nov 18 2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting. What.a.jerk. Basically, he fires his two top stars, then discusses taking paycuts just sort of as a side conversation? Drake and Deidre have taken every paycut they've been asked to over the past years. They've bypassed other work over the years because of their loyalty to Days. I just can't get over what a slime this man is.
I don't think he was alluding to them.

I think it may be a veiled shot at Jay. It seems to fit with the story SOD reported Friday.

I can't see him mentioning it if it pertained to Drake and Dee because he seems strung out over firing them. I'm anxious for the whole article but he sounds demoralized and I get the feeling he entered into negotiations expecting cuts but not 40%. That is a remarkable amount. I have to wonder if he even began to think it wasn't worth it but since word of renewal had been out there since July and so many other jobs would be affected, he just went with it in hopes he could improve things. I get the sense he really would've rather let the show go then this. His quote about it being the darkest days yet is telling. He's usually pretty optimistic. I think it's possible he may not even want to fight for another renewal after this. He seems so defeated.

I don't feel bad for him but I feel for the show and the fans because it sounds like this is just the beginning. It's like the Valentine's Day massacre x 10.

I do think it was in poor taste regardless for him to rant about pay cuts. While I do see his point in a way because some of these actors get an obscene amount of money and, after awhile, it's not unreasonable to ask them to take a cut when they've been with the show for years and are well off, I don't think Days has this problem. I think most everyone cooperates and does what they can. I think once you go beyond the bets and skew younger, you may run into trouble but the vets I think cooperate at least. Still, it's poor timing to mention that, especially when he's part of the reason this is happening due to his shitty financial management.
I agree. I think it was Jayīs decision to not accept the paycut what practically forced his hands and he is not happy. I also think the talk about paycuts is a warning for others who are about to go into negotiation. A lot of contracts end the next year.

I still wonder if they will offer Jay more money or not. I think Tomlin definitely want him to stay, but Corday sounds really bitter. Iīm sure Dena gave him an earfull. I know what people here think about her but she seems to want to write for vets, much more than Tomlin/Whittesell. Whenever she had a chance this year and the EP had not enough power (during the strike, when Scott was fired), she tried to give them something.

I agree.

I mean, even during her first stint, she gave the vets material. I think it's more or less Tomlin. I think Whitesell just goes with whatever Tomlin wants.

I get the feeling Corday feels stuck. I already feel like he's regretting hiring Tomlin for some reason. We heard heard nothing from Gary and I have to think that is because he is at fault and he will be used as the fall guy for Corday if all this blows up in his face.

I have a feeling Corday's initial plan was to axe the people many of us suspected but Tomlin tossed out J&M, who were backburnered the minute he showed up. I just can't see Corday agreeing to this unless forced or influenced enough to.
I donīt think he is regretting to hire him. Tomlin is probably one of the few people tough and firm enough to do whatīs need to be done for the show to survive. And he is probably one of the few who has influence enough to convince Corday those steps are needed. I just think Corday is tired. He knows most of these actors personally, many of them are his friends and he was the one who lured them back. And itīs not just actors, Iīm sure there will be massive cuts in the production staff too. It has to be hard for him and Corday is no crysis manager.

Oh, I do.

I think he expected to make big changes. That is why he brought in a firm hand, as you said. However, I doubt he saw any of this coming. Tomlin influenced him into doing something he would never have the guts to do otherwise. Now he probably regrets it seeing all the reactions.

Ellie

PhoenixRising05
Nov 18 2008, 11:36 PM
I think he expected to make big changes. That is why he brought in a firm hand, as you said. However, I doubt he saw any of this coming. Tomlin influenced him into doing something he would never have the guts to do otherwise. Now he probably regrets it seeing all the reactions.
Can I just say something... I have no idea who influenced whom, but unless Tomlin held Corday at gunpoint, Corday has no excuse for this. He should be intensely loyal to two stars who have given and continue to give their all to the show, one for the past 20 years, the other for 30. I understand that budget cuts were needed, but there are many other avenues that could have been taken before the two top stars were let go.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Ellie
Nov 18 2008, 11:48 PM
PhoenixRising05
Can I just say something... I have no idea who influenced whom, but unless Tomlin held Corday at gunpoint, Corday has no excuse for this. He should be intensely loyal to two stars who have given and continue to give their all to the show, one for the past 20 years, the other for 30. I understand that budget cuts were needed, but there are many other avenues that could have been taken before the two top stars were let go.
Oh, no doubt. I'm not trying to excuse him at all.

I'm just saying he's easily corruptible and I don't think he ever wanted to go about it this way. He doesn't have the guts to. I think he had another plan in mind but allowed himself to be swayed. The blame is all on him, without a doubt.

While I think the show needed to move away from the vets, this is not the best way to do it. It's the riskiest and the smarter way is to gradually do it, as in give them all one last hurrah and slowly move them into supporting roles with their children and others and then move them to the side slowly. That would be my plan. It's a much smoother transition for fans but the show should've did that years ago. The blame all falls on Corday for that too.

I doubt it will hurt the numbers but if you get rid of all of the big 4, then I can see it. However, that doesn't mean it won't backfire even if the numbers are ok. The negative press and backlash is something Corday can't take, which is why I have trouble believing he will stick to his decision.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Ellie
Corday has no excuse for this. He should be intensely loyal to two stars who have given and continue to give their all to the show, one for the past 20 years, the other for 30. I understand that budget cuts were needed, but there are many other avenues that could have been taken before the two top stars were let go.
No shit. Like getting rid of all the characters that nobody cares about. Cut back on Kraft Services -- make them bring cereal from home, LoL.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Nov 19 2008, 12:51 AM
Ellie
Corday has no excuse for this. He should be intensely loyal to two stars who have given and continue to give their all to the show, one for the past 20 years, the other for 30. I understand that budget cuts were needed, but there are many other avenues that could have been taken before the two top stars were let go.
No shit. Like getting rid of all the characters nobody cares about. Cut back on Kraft Services -- make them bring cereal from home, LoL.
I thought they did that already last winter?

You know, as much as I can understand this, they could've at least attempted a less drastic approach.

Cut SN and MBE. Cut LK and SC. Cut BD. Drop Josh Taylor and maybe James Reynolds to recurring if you had to. Send Thaoo and LeAnn off and play Stefano alot and send him off for good when his contract was up.

That probably cuts just as much. If you need to cut more, then get rid of just Drake or something. Hell, just reduce episode guarantees on the vets first and see where that gets you. Cut down on some sets or crew salaries too.

I feel like Corday panicked again without trying a more sensible, gradual approach first, which is very in character for him.
Edited by PhoenixRising05, Nov 19 2008, 12:59 AM.

Kenny
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 19 2008, 12:59 AM
Cut SN and MBE. Cut LK and SC. Cut BD. Drop Josh Taylor and maybe James Reynolds to recurring if you had to. Send Thaoo and LeAnn off and play Stefano alot and send him off for good when his contract was up.
Yep!

Stephen and Mary Beth can go. Shawn Christian can go. Josh Taylor can go. Bryan Dattillo can go. Thaao and LeAnn can go. Shelley Hennig and Molly Burnett can go. Nadia Bjorlin can go. Nu-Mickey can go.

Bring back Martha Madison. Surely, she's not nearly as expensive as some of those other people and she has a strong fanbase.

Between these horrible firings, the massive budget cut which puts the show in GL territory and Higley's shiteous writing, I just can't fathom how bad the show is about to get.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Kenny
Nov 19 2008, 01:05 AM
PhoenixRising05
Yep!

Stephen and Mary Beth can go. Shawn Christian can go. Josh Taylor can go. Bryan Dattillo can go. Thaao and LeAnn can go. Shelley Hennig and Molly Burnett can go. Nadia Bjorlin can go. Nu-Mickey can go.

Bring back Martha Madison. Surely, she's not nearly as expensive as some of those other people and she has a strong fanbase.

Between these horrible firings, the massive budget cut which puts the show in GL territory and Higley's shiteous writing, I just can't fathom how bad the show is about to get.
Well, I wouldn't gut the young cast like that.

Totally agree on Madison but Burnett and Hennig (I know they are not liked by many here) would be a mistake IMO. The rest I can agree with, without a doubt, although I don't see what getting rid of nu-Mickey would do when Kevin Dobson isn't even contract and we barely see him now.

brimike

PhoenixRising05
Nov 19 2008, 01:40 AM
Kenny
Nov 19 2008, 01:05 AM
PhoenixRising05
Yep!

Well, I wouldn't gut the young cast like that.

Totally agree on Madison but Burnett and Hennig (I know they are not liked by many here) would be a mistake IMO. The rest I can agree with, without a doubt, although I don't see what getting rid of nu-Mickey would do when Kevin Dobson isn't even contract and we barely see him now.
Here lies another Catch-22, quite similar to the issue PhoenixRising always brings up about not firing Dena, even though she's not very good, because it means another transition period.

A character like Stephanie is integral to the show in terms of connections with the cast - but replace her, and it might as well be another newbie like Burnett. Same with Chelsea/Rachel Melvin.

It doesn't matter if they're playing a character who's established, they're still considered an unknown until the audience accepts them.

There needs to be some familiarity somewhere - even if the familiar happens to be the people we all complain about. Which is a sad state affairs. Truly.

jane1978

Ellie
PhoenixRising05
I donīt want sound harsh or something, but in this time and state soaps are in no one is worthy the pay DH/DDH are making. If the budget was really slashed by 40 percent, to keep them anymore as anything more than popular extras was simply out of question. The showīs budget was approx. 65 $ mil. per year, now itīs less than 40 $ mil. So, do the math. DH/DDH were let go first because their contract cycle was just about to end, but itīs just the beginning. Many will follow.

Ives
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 19 2008, 12:51 AM
Ellie
No shit. Like getting rid of all the characters that nobody cares about. Cut back on Kraft Services -- make them bring cereal from home, LoL.
The craft services were severely cutback awhile ago. I think at this point they just have bagels or something like that.

As bad as it seems for the actors, they at least have traditionally had more leverage than the production staff, who have faced a lot of pay cuts (probably even before the actors) and many of whom are just as loyal to the show as the actors. Stephen Nichols has mentioned on several occasions that if the show ever gets into a better financial position, one of the first things that should be done is setting things right for the production/behind the scenes staff.

Kenny
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nov 19 2008, 02:05 AM
I donīt want sound harsh or something, but in this time and state soaps are in no one is worthy the pay DH/DDH are making. If the budget was really slashed by 40 percent, to keep them anymore as anything more than popular extras was simply out of question.
I guess I just see it like this...

Ten years ago, Days of Our Lives was #2 in the ratings and #1 in all the important demographics. I understand that the ratings ratings have fallen for all soaps, but Days hasn't only fallen in the ratings... they've also fallen in their standings. What was once the #2 soap is now near the bottom, and they lost their demographic stronghold a long time ago.

With a capable head honcho and a capable writing team, the show wouldn't have fallen nearly this far/this quickly, IMO. The cast wouldn't be asked to take pay cut after pay cut if they had a capable head honcho and a capable writing team to keep the audiences from bleeding out. It's obvious that the blame for this lies on the shoulders of Ken Corday and all the hacks he's allowed to destroy the show for the last ten years, so why should his cast be the ones that pay for it? He and his group of hacks have single-handedly taken a hatchet to the ratings. He has no business savvy -- he shouldn't be running a business. The budget problems are HIS fault. The cast has been asked over and over and over to take major pay cuts, and at some point, you just have to say no. There comes a point where the actors realize that they're the ones paying for all the mistakes of the big wigs, and it's not right to constantly make them take the hit and put their financial livelihood in serious jeopardy just because the captain of the ship is constantly finding new ways to hit an iceberg.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

destinyrules
Nov 17 2008, 12:47 PM
for an unknown period of time.
LOL he thinks if he is vague he will get us to stick around and keep watching. Fool.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 17 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah. At least they get a payoff.

I mean, it's been obvious the show had no idea what to do with them after this story was over and they were reunited. That is why I think they dragged their feet with their story. As much as it hurts, I think this is for the best for the characters and for their fans because it was getting tiresome.

um, please speak for yourself.

jane1978

Kenny
Nov 19 2008, 02:24 AM
jane1978
Nov 19 2008, 02:05 AM
I donīt want sound harsh or something, but in this time and state soaps are in no one is worthy the pay DH/DDH are making. If the budget was really slashed by 40 percent, to keep them anymore as anything more than popular extras was simply out of question.
I guess I just see it like this...

Ten years ago, Days of Our Lives was #2 in the ratings and #1 in all the important demographics. I understand that the ratings ratings have fallen for all soaps, but Days hasn't only fallen in the ratings... they've also fallen in their standings. What was once the #2 soap is now near the bottom, and they lost their demographic stronghold a long time ago.

With a capable head honcho and a capable writing team, the show wouldn't have fallen nearly this far/this quickly, IMO. The cast wouldn't be asked to take pay cut after pay cut if they had a capable head honcho and a capable writing team to keep the audiences from bleeding out. It's obvious that the blame for this lies on the shoulders of Ken Corday and all the hacks he's allowed to destroy the show for the last ten years, so why should his cast be the ones that pay for it? He and his group of hacks have single-handedly taken a hatchet to the ratings. He has no business savvy -- he shouldn't be running a business. The budget problems are HIS fault. The cast has been asked over and over and over to take major pay cuts, and at some point, you just have to say no. There comes a point where the actors realize that they're the ones paying for all the mistakes of the big wigs, and it's not right to constantly make them take the hit and put their financial livelihood in serious jeopardy just because the captain of the ship is constantly finding new ways to hit an iceberg.
Did Corday a lot of stupid decisions? Sure. But I donīt think even best producer in the world could change the fact soaps are dying, or atleast drastically changing. DAYS had good numbers in young demos for years, thatīs true, but itīs exactly people from this demographics who are leaving their TVīs in drones to watch youtube, to chat on MSN, etc. Thatīs truth across the board, from daytime to primetime.

The popularity of soaps actors who were once huge international stars is diminishing. Nobody cares about them, even cabel TVīs are refusing to air anything related to them. Maybe itīs not their fault and they are still doing the best work possible but the sad reality is, most of them was lucky to even keep the job this long. Their pay is based on past fame and no longer justified.

Jiggs
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Nov 17 2008, 05:10 PM
This day had to come eventually anyway. I just envisioned it as moving J&M to the backburner but I guess you can say they've been doing that slowly with some resurgence here and there since JER left in 1997.

You can't rely on the same characters over and over. I mean, that is a big reason why there is no suspense. You've been there, done that.
Uh, then why does Y&R and B&B and other soaps rely on the same characters over and over? Y&R especially seems to do well keeping their vets frontburner, and staying on top.

Kenny
Member Avatar

jane1978
Nov 19 2008, 02:54 AM
Did Corday a lot of stupid decisions? Sure. But I donīt think even best producer in the world could change the fact soaps are dying, or atleast drastically changing.

Their pay is based on past fame and no longer justified.
People have to pay the bills, that's the bottom line. I don't pretend to know about the personal expenses that any of the actors have, but I do know that they have bills to pay and families to support. When it comes to the point where the show simply can't afford to pay their cast a respectable wage (especially given their seniority and loyalty to the show) then it's time to pack it up and call it a day. There's no use in trying to milk a dead cow.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Jiggs
Nov 19 2008, 03:01 AM
Uh, then why does Y&R and B&B and other soaps rely on the same characters over and over? Y&R especially seems to do well keeping their vets frontburner, and staying on top.
Yep.

Talent allows for it.

Nobody on the creative team at Days of Our Lives is talented enough to pull it off. That's why the show is dead/dying.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

Jiggs
Nov 19 2008, 02:31 AM
PhoenixRising05
Nov 17 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah. At least they get a payoff.

I mean, it's been obvious the show had no idea what to do with them after this story was over and they were reunited. That is why I think they dragged their feet with their story. As much as it hurts, I think this is for the best for the characters and for their fans because it was getting tiresome.

um, please speak for yourself.
It's my opinion and I was speaking in general.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply