Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peter Reckell & Kristian Alfonso Dropped to Recurring!?
Topic Started: Nov 17 2008, 08:03 PM (7,852 Views)
Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

OK, regarding DAYS' budget. When DAYS was renewed in 2003, the budget was $1.7 million a week for production costs. However, the terms of the deal were renegotiated in 2006 and DAYS' budget was slashed to $1.3 million a week, so that can't be how much the show costs to produce per week now. I'm guessing it's now in the $900,000 - $1,000,000 range now - a HUGE blow for a show like DAYS.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This to me would be harmful because they are the show's central couple (Brady/Horton).

Having said that, Peter has a daughter and does alot for the Green movement and Kristian has her jewelry and clothing line. I can see them agreeing to recurring and sticking with the show.

We'll see but not sure I like this. This feels like too much to soon and the more drastic the changes are, the more inclines I am to believe Corday will panic at some point and reverse it all.

daysfan
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 17 2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't most of the GL cast recurring? Sometimes recurring actors get the most episodes or close to the most episodes per month on that show, maybe DAYS is trying to implement a similar model?
A possibility, but it'd cost MORE for them to be on most of the month and on recurring than it'd be contract for vets like Bo and Hope.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Bo and Hope would become plot points or props. They wouldn't be allowed to have a decent story of their own or half of it would happen off screen, so it wouldn't make any sense.

The only show that does recurring character/actors on soaps in a non-stinky way is Y&R and when Andrea Evans was on Passions.

With the other shows they disappear for weeks or months, in some ways it can be more frustrating than being gone. At least gone means you don't tune in every day or read spoilers every week hoping to see someone and then get disappointed again and again. I've been dealing with this for years, and it is a slap to the face.

Like I said I could see this happening with Peter and Kristian if they wanted to dump their base pay or guarantees really low.

CatherineEarnshaw

PhoenixRising05
Nov 17 2008, 08:24 PM
This to me would be harmful because they are the show's central couple (Brady/Horton).

Having said that, Peter has a daughter and does alot for the Green movement and Kristian has her jewelry and clothing line. I can see them agreeing to recurring and sticking with the show.

We'll see but not sure I like this. This feels like too much to soon and the more drastic the changes are, the more inclines I am to believe Corday will panic at some point and reverse it all.
The Brady/Horton axis has been dead for a long time imo.

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

I would rather PR and KA be fired than put on recurring. At least it would lead to a clean send off with closure. Recurring is just too open ended and messy. What happens to KA/Hope if Peter gets a full time gig with another soap? or vice versa.

Mason
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 17 2008, 08:22 PM
Isn't most of the GL cast recurring? Sometimes recurring actors get the most episodes or close to the most episodes per month on that show, maybe DAYS is trying to implement a similar model?
But the people who are on recurring over at GL probably aren't near as expensive as Alfonso and Reckell. Believe me, it would be a disaster to put them on recurring. They might as well just be fired.

~bl~
Member Avatar

Sorry if this is a double post, with GL other than Beth Chamberlin the other actors on recurring seldom if ever get a story. If they do it is disjointed or gets dropped before it ends. As of October 31st, Beth C was on GL for 58 episodes this year...the next most appearances of a non-contract player was 32. Most of the non-contract GL performers (outside of Beth C) get between 20-40 episodes a year if they are lucky and oftentimes they only appear in one or two scenes in some of these episodes so it isn't all that much to be happy about.

KittyKat
Member Avatar

Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 08:13 PM
If KA and PR are on recurring....I hope they start looking for work else where. Run Peter! Run Kristian! Run FREE!!!

Don't look back! Let Days burn down to the ground!
Most of the people at Days should be taking this advice (if they can that is). The ship has hit the iceberg and it's sinking.

Rick
Member Avatar
Dreamlander

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 17 2008, 08:23 PM
OK, regarding DAYS' budget. When DAYS was renewed in 2003, the budget was $1.7 million a week for production costs. However, the terms of the deal were renegotiated in 2006 and DAYS' budget was slashed to $1.3 million a week, so that can't be how much the show costs to produce per week now. I'm guessing it's now in the $900,000 - $1,000,000 range now - a HUGE blow for a show like DAYS.
It's once again 1.7-1.8 million a week per Variety's article last week.

That was my question too. Why did they let the show become bloated again just to fire people again.

Quote:

It's unclear whether NBC also negotiated a reduced license fee for the show. The Peacock was most recently shelling out $1.7 million-$1.8 million a week for the show.

As part of the renewal it's understood that the show, led by exec producer Ken Corday, will be making some onscreen changes as well, including some cast shuffles.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995680.html?categoryid=1237&cs=1&query=NBC+Days
Edited by Rick, Nov 17 2008, 08:36 PM.

Days4Life

CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 17 2008, 08:20 PM
Days4Life
Nov 17 2008, 08:18 PM
To me, this is more surprising than news of the Drake/Deidre firings. And also more harmful to the show. I really hope it's not true.
more harmful?? how so?
I didn't phrase that quite right...there's been too much shocking news coming too fast and my brain isn't working properly. What I should have said was that losing one supercouple like John and Marlena, while bad, can be overcome. They haven't been featured a lot lately so the audience has become somewhat accustomed to them being gone. However, Bo and Hope have rarely been backburnered. Although they may not have their own story, they are still on the show a lot and viewers are used to seeing them involved. Hope is also somewhat of a legacy character. Many long time viewers remember when she was born and the tragedy of her mother's death. She is a connection to Tom and Alice, the heart of the show. Her loss would be huge. That is not to diminish John and Marlena, that's just my gut reaction as a viewer since 1970.

jane1978

PhoenixRising05
Nov 17 2008, 08:24 PM

I would be surprised if itīs true. Being put on recurring basically means being fired with a promise your character can appear again. So unless KA/PR are just nearing the end of their contracts and/or cycles like DH/DDH are they cannot even legally do that.

CatherineEarnshaw

Days4Life
Nov 17 2008, 08:37 PM
CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 17 2008, 08:20 PM
Days4Life
Nov 17 2008, 08:18 PM
To me, this is more surprising than news of the Drake/Deidre firings. And also more harmful to the show. I really hope it's not true.
more harmful?? how so?
I didn't phrase that quite right...there's been too much shocking news coming too fast and my brain isn't working properly. What I should have said was that losing one supercouple like John and Marlena, while bad, can be overcome. They haven't been featured a lot lately so the audience has become somewhat accustomed to them being gone. However, Bo and Hope have rarely been backburnered. Although they may not have their own story, they are still on the show a lot and viewers are used to seeing them involved. Hope is also somewhat of a legacy character. Many long time viewers remember when she was born and the tragedy of her mother's death. She is a connection to Tom and Alice, the heart of the show. Her loss would be huge. That is not to diminish John and Marlena, that's just my gut reaction as a viewer since 1970.
Thanks for the explanation. It is impossible to say who means more to the show historically but I appreciate your thoughts.

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

Rick
Nov 17 2008, 08:34 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
It's once again 1.7-1.8 million a week per Variety's article last week.

That was my question too. Why did they let the show become bloated again just to fire people again.

Quote:

It's unclear whether NBC also negotiated a reduced license fee for the show. The Peacock was most recently shelling out $1.7 million-$1.8 million a week for the show.

As part of the renewal it's understood that the show, led by exec producer Ken Corday, will be making some onscreen changes as well, including some cast shuffles.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995680.html?categoryid=1237&cs=1&query=NBC+Days
Variety seems to not know how much NBC is now shelling out in licensing fees for DAYS. I think they took their information from the 2003 renewal. They did say NBC was "recently" shelling out the $1.7-$1.8 million figure, so I think the budget is MUCH less now.

It just doesn't make sense for the budget to be that high and all this financial chaos is happening at one time with this show.

Both Y&R and GH cost $1.3 million a week to produce, and they function much more smoothly, use a lot of their popular characters, and they look better produced than DAYS.

All I have to say is, someone at DAYS is SEVERELY mismanaging the show's budget. I bet Corday's accountants are playing his ass and pocketing some serious dough or something.

It's just hard to believe DAYS still costs $1.7 million a week to produce, while other soaps with slightly lesser budgets are doing a lot more and looking a lot better than DAYS.
Edited by Y&RWorldTurner, Nov 17 2008, 08:44 PM.

Ponz
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
Yeah, that Variety reporter seemed to be unaware of the re-negotiation in 2006. The latest cut takes $1.3 million as the base level, not $1.7 million.

ericfan400

I'm having a hard time believing this. Bo and Hope are my favorite couple of the show besides Chloe and Brady

HJBJDJ

Today just keeps getting weirder and weirder!!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

This would just be...greedy.

When things get this bad, there's something to be said for dumping a lot of the other dead weight and giving core fans one last thrill with the longer-term characters.

And clearly, if this is true + the John/Marlena/Phillip stuff, it's not like they're restructuring "for the viewers." It's so they can squeeze out the last drop. It's their product so, y'know, more power to 'em. But it still bugs.

OneBadKitty
Member Avatar

Wendy at SNS is saying that these two are not on her "list" of actors being let go, and neither is Joe Mascolo.

Interesting!

renaissancegirl

...this rumor makes me sick to my stomach. Just sick. I could've cried when I read about Deidre and Drake and now this...OMG.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply