Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Peter Reckell & Kristian Alfonso Dropped to Recurring!?
Topic Started: Nov 17 2008, 08:03 PM (7,875 Views)
zyona

Mason
Nov 17 2008, 11:52 PM
I actually like Steve and Kayla, but I have to agree. They should have been at the top of the list to go (along with Roman...Josh Taylor probably isn't doing too badly for himself either).
Josh Taylor has a law degree, am sure he can take the bar exam and practice, like Robert Krimmer he used to play Reverend Andrew Carpenter on One Life To Live.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cassie1013

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 17 2008, 08:43 PM
Rick
Nov 17 2008, 08:34 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 17 2008, 08:23 PM
OK, regarding DAYS' budget. When DAYS was renewed in 2003, the budget was $1.7 million a week for production costs. However, the terms of the deal were renegotiated in 2006 and DAYS' budget was slashed to $1.3 million a week, so that can't be how much the show costs to produce per week now. I'm guessing it's now in the $900,000 - $1,000,000 range now - a HUGE blow for a show like DAYS.
It's once again 1.7-1.8 million a week per Variety's article last week.

That was my question too. Why did they let the show become bloated again just to fire people again.

Quote:

It's unclear whether NBC also negotiated a reduced license fee for the show. The Peacock was most recently shelling out $1.7 million-$1.8 million a week for the show.

As part of the renewal it's understood that the show, led by exec producer Ken Corday, will be making some onscreen changes as well, including some cast shuffles.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995680.html?categoryid=1237&cs=1&query=NBC+Days
Variety seems to not know how much NBC is now shelling out in licensing fees for DAYS. I think they took their information from the 2003 renewal. They did say NBC was "recently" shelling out the $1.7-$1.8 million figure, so I think the budget is MUCH less now.

It just doesn't make sense for the budget to be that high and all this financial chaos is happening at one time with this show.

Both Y&R and GH cost $1.3 million a week to produce, and they function much more smoothly, use a lot of their popular characters, and they look better produced than DAYS.

All I have to say is, someone at DAYS is SEVERELY mismanaging the show's budget. I bet Corday's accountants are playing his ass and pocketing some serious dough or something.

It's just hard to believe DAYS still costs $1.7 million a week to produce, while other soaps with slightly lesser budgets are doing a lot more and looking a lot better than DAYS.
I have a feeling DAYS pays their actors really well. Like "almost too good to be true" - that must be how everyone continues to come back even after they're a) fired and b) treated like shit. How can Y&R operate on a lesser budget and produce the show it does? They use their vets CONSTANTLY too.

I would be willing to get the budget is about 1 mill now, given this info and recent developments. I'm horrible at math, but does anyone know how big the DAYS cast is right now in comparison to Y&R's?
Edited by cassie1013, Nov 18 2008, 12:23 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

If this is true...I am DONE with DAYS for good!

DH & DDH was one thing, but touching PK and KA, IN ADDITION, is an absolute disgusting disgrace and it will cost them my 18+ year viewership and devotion to the show.

NOT HAPPY! I would have rather seen DAYS canned than watch DH, DDH, PR & KA get fired or demoted!

SORRY KEN but you will cost your CORE viewers if you make this mistake....all the while people like Nadia Bjorlin, Josh Taylor, Molly Burnett, Blake Berris, Darin Brooks, Rachel Melvin, Shelley Hennig, Shawn Christian, Bryan Datillo, Alison Sweeney, James Scott, Arianne Zucker, Galen Gering, Eric Martsolf and OTHERS REMAIN on contract (even though I love some of them)!!!

GIVE ME A BIG HUGE MOTHER FUCKING BREAK!
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Nov 18 2008, 01:29 AM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

I'm beginning to think this won't happen.

Bope have had more story (and more successful ones at that) then anyone in the past decade. I don't see Corday getting rid of them and J&M. It's too much too soon.

If anything, maybe they will push them for 6 months and rest them for a bit or something. I just don't see them going recurring or being fired. Not them.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

PhoenixRising05
Nov 18 2008, 01:30 AM

Bope have had more story (and more successful ones at that) then anyone in the past decade. I don't see Corday getting rid of them and J&M. It's too much too soon.

If anything, maybe they will push them for 6 months and rest them for a bit or something. I just don't see them going recurring or being fired. Not them.

I hope to the high heavens you are right.

I think firing J&M is WAYYYYYY to much for this show to handle.....throwing PK & KA in the trash with them is an absolute suicide.

I would actually cheer a DAYS cancellation on if that happened.

I am sorry, this show CANNOT BE THAT FUCKING STUPID? COULD THEY???

:puke: :frown: :drunk: :omg: :frustration: = All my thoughts and feelings regarding DAYS for the last 2-3 days and the ABSOLUTE down right RETARDED decisions this show is making!

King
Member Avatar

They definitely CAN be, but I hope they're not. Haha.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

My god. I swear the show won't even last the 18 months it was renewed for.

Days4Life

daysfan
Nov 18 2008, 12:08 AM
I don't know, the more I think about this, I took all the news calmly at first and am keeping in mind this is only a rumor, but its just really REALLY upsetting, and it makes me look back on all the stupid mistakes Days has made over the past few years.

Maybe this would be easier if they had kept Shawn and Belle on the show, ready to take help lead the show.

Maybe this would be easier if they actually re-established Steve and Kayla with viewers and gave them decent stories and airtime.

Maybe this would be easier if we actually could trust the person in the HW chair.

Maybe this would be easier if we had more of the next generation than just the incest duo and his biological sister, Nick(who could be gone soon), and the seemingly storyless Chelsea.

Maybe this would be easier if Sami hadn't been turned into a pitiful Carrie character. I refused to admit it for a long time but now I will admit that Sami as a character is ruined. Maybe if they had KEPT Carrie she could be perfectly ready for the heroine status.

Maybe this would be easier if they gave people like Thaao Penghlis and LeAnn Hunley story.

Maybe this would be easier if the people they want to take over the show hadn't conquered airtime for almost two years.

Maybe this would be easier if they hadn't shoved out 3/4 of the other characters from previous decades.

Maybe this would be easier if we could actually expect a GOOD exit from John/Marlena.

Maybe this would be easier if they hadn't backtracked on almost every decision in the past several years and followed through on what they did. Maybe it would be easier if we could trust the show.

My Lord...I am sorry for the rant its just infuriating me at the moment.
I agree 100% with all this! I thought I would wake up this morning calmer and more resigned, and the opposite is true! The idea that we are losing John and Marlena, possibly losing Bo and Hope, and yet other useless characters are stilll there infuriates me! It's craziness!

Mason
Member Avatar

darraholic
Nov 18 2008, 02:27 AM
My god. I swear the show won't even last the 18 months it was renewed for.
At this rate, that's probably for the best.

Days4Life

Mitchapalooza
Nov 18 2008, 01:27 AM
If this is true...I am DONE with DAYS for good!

DH & DDH was one thing, but touching PK and KA, IN ADDITION, is an absolute disgusting disgrace and it will cost them my 18+ year viewership and devotion to the show.

NOT HAPPY! I would have rather seen DAYS canned than watch DH, DDH, PR & KA get fired or demoted!

SORRY KEN but you will cost your CORE viewers if you make this mistake....all the while people like Nadia Bjorlin, Josh Taylor, Molly Burnett, Blake Berris, Darin Brooks, Rachel Melvin, Shelley Hennig, Shawn Christian, Bryan Datillo, Alison Sweeney, James Scott, Arianne Zucker, Galen Gering, Eric Martsolf and OTHERS REMAIN on contract (even though I love some of them)!!!

GIVE ME A BIG HUGE MOTHER FUCKING BREAK!
IF this is true (still hoping it isn't), I'm afraid the show absolutely will start losing core viewers. I told my mom about Drake over the weekend but haven't had the heart to tell her about Deidre Hall yet; she will be devastated. Marlena has been her favorite character since she first came on the show, folllowed by Bo and Hope. If we lose all four of them, I think my mom may stop watching, and she's watched since the show began. Like a lot of people, she's tired of Sami and she hates Melanie, doesn't like Max, Stephanie or Daniel. She enjoys Philip and Nick--also rumored to be gone. About all that will be left for her will be EJ and Nicole and Steve and Kayla--and we rarely see Steve and Kayla.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

OMG!!!! Well, if they are being tossed into the character closet to go sit by Maggie and Mickey then Payla must be curtains!

FanODays

If they aren't put on recurring, I can see them beings used at the minimum amount of their contracts and that's it. My question is, does it really matter? At best Bope are now supporting characters (and people thought it was bad when they were pimping Shelle.......). I know PR talked about something up coming but he also talked about Bo's illness last spring and that turned out to be nothing more than a way to set up for his daughter to fall for Dr. McYucky.

brimike

PhoenixRising05
Nov 18 2008, 01:30 AM

I agree, PR. I think we'll see a lot less of Peter and Kristian, but I think they'll remain on contract. The mandate a year and a half ago was to only play the Big Four one day a week, and that's been confirmed by numerous sources. With both DH's gone now, I think we'll be able to see PR and KA probably two days a week. They won't be front-burner, but they'll still be on the show.

I do find it interesting that we've heard NOTHING from Gary Tomlin in the mags, at all, have we? Not since he started on the show. I wonder why he's keeping his head down...

six
Member Avatar

cassie1013
Nov 17 2008, 11:50 PM
Nubia
Nov 17 2008, 08:07 PM
Okay....if Bope are on recurring, then the Steve and Kayla shoe has gotta drop soon.
I have to be honest here, the thing that's actually driving me to be fucking PISSED OFF is that all of this shit is going down, but fucking Steve and Kayla are STILL THERE!!!! (in addition to Abe, Roman, etc.)

They should have been the FIRST to go. There's no way that they aren't compensated well. Payla is not only boring, they have NO story, NO connection to any 90's/00's DAYS viewers and in general are a total BUST...
Thank you! If this is true, I'm worried that Days might think stayla can fill the shoes of bope and jarlena. These two should have been gone a long time ago.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Has this been confirmed yet, or is it still rumor?

IMO, recurring status is as good as gone. It means no contract, no guarantee, nothing.

fancyface78
Member Avatar

Has anyone heard anything else about this??

Y&RWorldTurner
Member Avatar
Sharongate, bitches!

According to SOD, DAYS' budget was cut by 40% :o

Deleted User
Deleted User

Y&RWorldTurner
Nov 18 2008, 05:58 PM
Which means it's now at approximately 520, 000 from 1.3 mill!
Quote Post Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Y&RWorldTurner
GL territory, here we come!

Nubia
Member Avatar
The Queen

Mason
Nov 18 2008, 06:00 PM
Y&RWorldTurner
GL territory, here we come!
Great......now Days is gonna be filmed with camera-phones....

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply