Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre/Drake Podcast; Daytime Confidential talks about firings
Topic Started: Nov 18 2008, 03:34 PM (2,109 Views)
dooldooldool

Well, if each were making $2M a year, then it truly was wasted money. Heck, even anything north of $1M in this "new business environment" is a bit much. And also a no-brainer that they were let go.

Let's say they were given 2-day-a-week guarantees. That works out to 100 episodes -- or $10,000-20,000 per work day. Compare that to a newbie runs less than $1000 a day per the AFTRA contract.

Granted, both were used heavily in early 2008 (Dee 113 episodes YTD, Drake 126 YTD), but the past couple years have been pretty much twice-a-week.

Dee had 81 episodes in 2007. Drake had 49.
Dee had 105 episodes in 2006. Drake 111.

Now, perhaps $1M for a four-day-a-week would be more in line (making it only $5000 per day of work). Personally, I could handle seeing Marlena four days a week. But I recall how irate many were when Dee appeared for 30+ consecutive days to start 2008.

And I would be so totally on board for a dozen cast members all appearing four days a week instead of thirty "cast members". Integrate main characters into all stories and stunt-cast, day-player, recur the rest.

I listened to the entire podcast. Quite honestly, it was pretty much a squeal of hyperactive banshees. Is it "big news"? Sure, it is. Am I miffed? Absolutely. But the world is not going to end because the DH's will not be on our screen for 100 days a year.

There are worse things to worry about with this show. Like the misogyny reeking from today's show.

#1. Stephanie gets a call from "Nick's Phone". But Big Tough Kiriakis has to grab the phone from her and listen himeslef because the poor little girly-wirly apparently has no ears or brain.

#2. Newly rich Lucas Horton buys a house for his doesn't-know-it-yet bride to be. ABC soap "Brothers And Sisters" just did a show about how cruel and controlling this behavior is.

Sometimes I wonder who the women are who write this show. Are they all living in 1950 with bouffant upswept do's, waiting for their man to rescue them from a mouse......?

Edited by dooldooldool, Nov 19 2008, 05:38 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CatherineEarnshaw

dooldooldool
Nov 19 2008, 05:14 PM
Well, if each were making #2M a year, then it truly was wasted money. Heck, even anything north of $1M in this "new business environment" is a bit much. And also a no-brainer that they were let go.

Let's say they were given 2-day-a-week guarantees. That works out to 100 episodes -- or $10,000-20,000 per work day. Compare that to a newbie runs less than $1000 a day per the AFTRA contract.

Granted, both were used heavily in early 2008 (Dee 113 episodes YTD, Drake 126 YTD), but the past couple years have been pretty much twice-a-week.

Now, perhaps $1M for a four-day-a-week would be more in line (making it only $5000 per day of work). Personally, I could handle seeing Marlena four days a week. But I recall how irate many were when Dee appeared for 30+ consecutive days to start 2008.

And I would be so totally on board for a dozen cast members all appearing four days a week instead of thirty "cast members". Integrate main characters into all stories and stunt-cast, day-player, recur the rest.

irate at Deidre being on a lot??

According to Jason's numbers, she hasn't been on a lot since the SK story.

dooldooldool

Um, Jason's numbers show 113 episodes this yaar.(http://www.jason47.com/days/2008episodes.html). And that's only JAN-OCT. So if she was a twice-a-week, she is over her annual allotment and is getting "extra pay". If she is "three-a-week", then she will be under her "guarantee".

And Marlena appeared in the first 31 or 32 epsiodes of 2008, breaking the all-time DOOL record for consecutive shows.

I loved it, but the non Jarlena-shipper boards were irate.

EDIT
Here are the DeeHall numbers from Jason47:

1998-157
1999-144
2000-134
2001-103
2002-122
2003-123
2004-154
2005-Seems to be missing
2006-105
2007-81 (JAN-OCT)
Edited by dooldooldool, Nov 19 2008, 05:37 PM.

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

CatherineEarnshaw
Nov 19 2008, 05:19 PM
dooldooldool
Well, if each were making #2M a year, then it truly was wasted money. Heck, even anything north of $1M in this "new business environment" is a bit much. And also a no-brainer that they were let go.

irate at Deidre being on a lot??

According to Jason's numbers, she hasn't been on a lot since the SK story.
When John came back in January John and Marlena were on everyday for like a month,personally I enjoyed that.

CatherineEarnshaw

dooldooldool

I listened to the entire podcast. Quite honestly, it was pretty much a squeal of hyperactive banshees. Ids it "big news"? Sure, it is. Am I miffed? Absolutely. But the world is not going to end becaused the DH's will not be on our screen for 100 days a year.

There are worse things to worry about with this show. Like the misogyny reeking from today's show.

#1. Stephanie gets a call from "Nick's Phone". But Big Tough Kiriakis has to grab the phone from her and listen himeslef because the poor little girly-wirly apparently has no ears or brain.

#2. Newly rich Lucas Horton buys a house for his doesn't-know-it-yet bride to be. ABC soap "Brothers And Sisters" just did a show about how cruel and controlling this behavior is.

Sometimes I wonder who the women are who write this show. Are they all living in 1950 with bouffant upswept do's, waiting for their man to rescue them from a mouse......?

I don't think the "world is goingto end" regaring anything concerning Days.

But this si a Days board...

Marlena's most popular stories have always been imo when she is the strong heroine Deidre is so good at playing.

dooldooldool

I disagree a bit about the "heroine" part. She's 61 now. That doesn't necessarily have to be grandmother or great-grandmother material, but "heroine"? Not quite anymore.

Dee is actually best when she is evil and bitchy. Someone else commented that James Reilly saw that and wrote to that. While some fans were horrified and left the show, face it, nearly every American with a TV knew that "Marlena was the devil". Of course, they weren't all viewers, but it seeped out into the general pre-TMZ, early-internet world. Jay Leno joked about it.

She also shined when she was locked away with Kristen, snarking back. Sometimes, Marlena and Kristen had better chemistry than either of them had with John.

And she also was wonderful in her "killing spree", especially her hospital scenes with TonyAndre, her cemetary smackdown with 80-something Doug, and her kitchen peek-a-boo with 90-something Alice.

When Dee was away from DOOL in the late 80s (early 90s?), she was on a 7-episode story arc for the crime drama Wiseguy, where she played a boob-jobbed, plastic aging bimbette wife of a record company executive. She snarked big time with Tim Curry and Debbie Harry. Her character died while having wild sex with a young rocker. They both crashed through a skylight while getting it on.

Delicious.
Edited by dooldooldool, Nov 19 2008, 05:50 PM.

CatherineEarnshaw

dooldooldool
Nov 19 2008, 05:46 PM
I disagree a bit about the "heroine" part. She's 61 now. That doesn't necessarily have to be grandmother or great-grandmother material, but "heroine"? Not quite anymore.

Dee is actually best when she is evil and bitchy. Someone else commented that James Reilly saw that and wrote to that. While some fans were horrified and left the show, face it, nearly every American with a TV knew that "Marlena was the devil". Of course, they weren't all viewers, but it seeped out into the general pre-TMZ, early-internet world. Jay Leno joked about it.

She also shined when she was locked away with Kristen, snarking back. Sometimes, Marlena and Kristen had better chemistry than either of them had with John.

And she also was wonderful in her "killing spree", especially her hospital scenes with TonyAndre, her cemetary smackdown with 80-something Doug, and her kitchen peek-a-boo with 90-something Alice.

When Dee was away from DOOL in the late 80s (early 90s?), she was on a 7-episode story arc for the crime drama Wiseguy, where she played a boob-jobbed, plastic aging bimbette wife of a record company executive. She snarked big time with Tim Curry and Debbie Harry. Her character died while having wild sex with a young rocker. They both crashed through a skylight while getting it on.

Delicious.
No, she is 'actually" best when she is the flawed,sympathetic heroine.

Reilly knew this too because in both stories you cited, he gave her plenty of vulnerable moments. and in the end, Marlena had an out.

Also, what I said holds true for MB and the affair, two more stories he wrote or co-wrote.

never saw any chemistry between John and kristen.

dooldooldool

Clearly, we both like her. I suppose I am more Alexis Colby and you are more Krystle Carrington. I am more AbbyFairgate, while you may prefer KarenMcKenzie.

If I want to watch steely heroic women, I will switch over to LifetimeMovieChannel. After all, DOOL isn't exactly good at creating/maintaining that archetype

I think that a sixtysomething woman should be strong and sympathetic. She shouldn't gasp when a man takes a shine to her or her stepson appears at the door. She shouldn't be full-on beeyatch either, but the times are few over the past several years where she was strong and tough and not mooning over her man.

That's mostly bad writing and bad storytelling more than acting choices

I

CatherineEarnshaw

dooldooldool
Nov 19 2008, 06:24 PM
Clearly, we both like her. I suppose I am more Alexis Colby and you are more Krystle Carrington. I am more AbbyFairgate, while you may prefer KarenMcKenzie.

If I want to watch steely heroic women, I will switch over to LifetimeMovieChannel. After all, DOOL isn't exactly good at creating/maintaining that archetype

I think that a sixtysomething woman should be strong and sympathetic. She shouldn't gasp when a man takes a shine to her or her stepson appears at the door. She shouldn't be full-on beeyatch either, but the times are few over the past several years where she was strong and tough and not mooning over her man.

I
I only liked Krystle early one when she was strong. And I loved Pam early on when she was strong.

Loved Karen and loved Abby except when she she kidnapped the twins, out of character

neer liked lifetime.

And Deidre has sometimes had bad habits working so long on Days.

Kyrai

dooldooldool
Nov 19 2008, 06:24 PM

I
I just love that she can play any type of character so well. :)

e83talus
Member Avatar

While people on the boards may have complained that Deidre was on everyday in January and February the show was averaging between 2.1 and 2.3 during that time. While I will be the first to admit the s/l's were better then with John coming back, Marlena finding and getting John back, Belle losing Shawn/Belle/Phelle, the sorority thing, and wow hardly any Ejami.
J&M (along with S&K and B&H)have been missing (not counting the two days last week) for over a month and the show has been at 1.8, 1.9, 1.9,and 2 from September 20 to October 27.

Say what you will the top two seem to make some difference.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

dooldooldool

Delicious.
Do you have clip of that? :P

MoonShadowed
Member Avatar

daisysmommy
Nov 18 2008, 09:19 PM
I'm watching til DnDs last airdate and then I will throw eggs at any sceeen airing the show.
Fuck that Corday and his dislotalty.
honey, i'd save those eggs
and throw them at Ken! :flipoff:
Edited by MoonShadowed, Nov 20 2008, 07:43 PM.

dooldooldool

Sindacco
Nov 20 2008, 02:43 AM
dooldooldool

Delicious.
Do you have clip of that? :P
No. I have it on videotape from when it aired in the 80s and some snippets when it was re-aired on CourtTV in the late 1990s.

The arc was called "Dead Dog Records". It featured Glenn Frey, Patti D'Arbanville, Tim Curry, Deidre Hall, Mick Fleetwood, and a few other random folks. If you google, you may find some you tube clips.

The Wiseguy series has had a few story arc's released, but not this one. I do see that someone is selling it on "i-offer". I don't know what kind of quality.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply