Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Deidre,Drake and the rest off the cast reaction
Topic Started: Nov 18 2008, 07:08 PM (5,364 Views)
jules

shayera
Nov 19 2008, 10:46 AM
Did Corday even ask Drake and Dee to take a pay cut to keep them?

Ask if they could take less for awhile while waiting on the economy to recover?
I doubt it. It's obvious to me that he just didn't want them anymore, plain and simple.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Kevc1980
Nov 18 2008, 07:21 PM
annn1
Nov 18 2008, 07:08 PM
What does Deidre and Drake think about getting fired?and the rest off the cast?

Deidre is said to be very hurt,angry and extremely disapointed....

Do not know about Drakes reaction,but i am guessing he feels the same....

The rest off the cast is set to be shell shocked after they found out today about Deidre and Drake,everybody is scared about losing there jobs...if Deidre Hall can get fired then everybody can.....

Ken Corday have said that their already low budget has been cut nearly in half (40%),he is also said that DAYS is lucky to be getting another 20 months.
He says it's going to be a really rough 5 months and calls this "the darkest, worst period I have ever endured." DAYS is safe through 2009/2010, at that point there's an option to pick them up for another year.

It`s also a rumor going around that 5 more actors are getting fired from the show,making it a total 8 person out....the people that is rumor to be fired is

- Lauren koslow (kate)
- Bryan Dalto (Lucas)
- Mary Beth Evens (kayla)
- Stephen Nichols (patch)
- James scott (ej)
- Thaao Penghlis (tony)
- Leann Hunley (anna)
I could see all those actors being let go except for James Scott..I doubt Days will fire him, with the baby storyline he'll be on the frontburner for a long time
No one thought Deidre Hall would be fired, either. Ever hear of an abruptly ended storyline?More to the point, JS will probably walk on his own voilition.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

nancyhan77
Nov 18 2008, 09:04 PM
I can understand why Deidre is ticked off!! For God's sake this a a woman who has never said a bad word about the writing, Corday or this show since she started back in 1976 (I think that's when she started). Then she gets FIRED??? WHAT A SLAP IN HER FACE. Deidre needs to just pack up her stuff kick Ken Corday in the nuts shove all of the shit she doesn't want to take with her up his ass and move on to another show!!! This is just sickening what has happened to her.
Judi Evans never said a bad thing about the writing or her boss, either, from what I have read. I doubt Renee Jones did, either. Probably quite a few of the original slasher victims didn't, either.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

Pearly
Nov 19 2008, 09:23 AM
STOP PUTTING THE CAST, FANS AND BTS EMPLOYEES THROUGH HELL!!!! JUST CANCEL THE SHOW ALREADY!!!! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!! :frown:
But then you'd have the ENTIRE cast and crew unemployed..I'm all for saving the show, just wish Deidre and Drake weren't being sacrificed in the process...

Mason

I just have to wonder...after all this is said and done (and I don't believe for a minute that there aren't more firings coming down the pike, as well as a drastic downgrade in production values), is it even going to be worth still having the show on the air?

e83talus
Member Avatar

Mason
Nov 19 2008, 06:30 PM
I just have to wonder...after all this is said and done (and I don't believe for a minute that there aren't more firings coming down the pike, as well as a drastic downgrade in production values), is it even going to be worth still having the show on the air?
That is a decision that NBC will need to make when the show drops to 1.6 by March! :flipoff:

King
Member Avatar

AOL.com was featuring a story on this. Linked to here: http://www.popeater.com/television/article/days-are-numbered-for-days-stars/254088

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Nov 19 2008, 06:23 PM
nancyhan77
I can understand why Deidre is ticked off!! For God's sake this a a woman who has never said a bad word about the writing, Corday or this show since she started back in 1976 (I think that's when she started). Then she gets FIRED??? WHAT A SLAP IN HER FACE. Deidre needs to just pack up her stuff kick Ken Corday in the nuts shove all of the shit she doesn't want to take with her up his ass and move on to another show!!! This is just sickening what has happened to her.
Judi Evans never said a bad thing about the writing or her boss, either, from what I have read. I doubt Renee Jones did, either. Probably quite a few of the original slasher victims didn't, either.
I have a real mixed opinion of actors speaking their mind about Corday and the show. On one hand, its nice to hear that they are also frustrated, etc. but on the other hand, as a potential employer or current employer of someone who did, I would not be too happy with them.

There are also two sides to this. We know what actors say to the press but we don't know what happens on the set. During shooting, actors can be vocal about how a scene is played out and that can differ from what TPTB want and the actors could speak out on set and let their real feelings air.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

FanODays
Nov 20 2008, 09:28 AM
ladyofthelake
nancyhan77
I have a real mixed opinion of actors speaking their mind about Corday and the show. On one hand, its nice to hear that they are also frustrated, etc. but on the other hand, as a potential employer or current employer of someone who did, I would not be too happy with them.

There are also two sides to this. We know what actors say to the press but we don't know what happens on the set. During shooting, actors can be vocal about how a scene is played out and that can differ from what TPTB want and the actors could speak out on set and let their real feelings air.
Actually, what if these actors DID go to Corday or whoever,and those people didn't listen? That's as frustrating to employees. After a while, it takes a toil. Take it from someone who wants to throw a couple of her higher administrators out the window for their stupid decisions, and won't listen to someone who is actually in the trenches. When intelligent people see their superiors doing something stupid, it's very difficult not to say something. (not saying YOU do that. I'm just sayin').
I have respect for those actors who don't sugarcoat things. The problem is....changes aren't made when those involved keep going on like everything is honkey-dorey until the ceiling caves in. There is a way to say things, and I think several actors have alluded to this in their interviews without seeming mutinous.
Obviously, the best way to do it is to discuss it with the superior in a professional manner. But, as we all know, there are those bullheaded bosses who think they know it all and do not take into consideration the wisdom and experience of those who are actually doing the work, seeing the fans, getting the reactions, etc.
The best type of boss is the collaborative, participative boss who listens to all angles, and THEN makes the decision based on what is best for ALL involved. Whether or not this happened with Corday remains to be seen.
Did he make a dumb decision? Did Hall and Hogestyn feel they were above the fray? Are their behind-the-scenes personalities different than the front they show? Or, did Hall and Hogestyn and others tried to rationally reason with TPTB, to no avail? Or did Corday honestly do what he could do, too little, too late?
We have to remember, too (as much as we hate to admit it), many actors are in the business they're in because, well, they're egotistical and like attention! It's their JOB to want attention. But,some actors are in it just because they like to pretend to be different characters and can let loose, which is something they are too shy to do in real life. It's always amazed me, when doing high school theatre, the kids who chose to be onstage. They are often the shyest kids around.

I don't think we'll really know for a while what really came down. We're still trying to figure out the whole diva thing, and aren't caught up with THAT yet! :D

ges
Member Avatar

I would have my resume out. Just the working environment must be hell. Corday has a history of making very poor decisions. He certainly has never demonstrated an ability to solve a difficult problem creatively. He is such a backstabber. The show has gotten so bad on so many levels that it hurts me to see it self-destruct. I wish it would just go off the air with a nice Christmas celebration week. You have Corday's horrible producing skills coupled by the huge blunder of hiring back Higley and this is what you get. He acts likethis show is a duty that has been thrust on him that he really would rather not have as it causes him a great deal of stress. He is a horrible boss. Every character is out of whack. The show is now an affront to my sensibilities. I cringe for the actors when I see them spewing this shitful diologue. The make-up and hair is disturbing. Kate's little fantasy lung cancer scenes where she lies in full make-up in a bed looking lovely are truly creepy. Her type of lung cancer is fatal and cannot be cured by a bone marrow transplant from a cancer survivor. If we have to have the "realism" of autism why not Kate wasting away, not being able to eat, blisters all over her and her hair falling out. Not that I would want to see that, but this is absurd. The whole show makes me sad because it is stupid and has an air of desperation to it. And for the love of God, take off all that black eyeliner off of Melanie. I am so done.

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Nov 20 2008, 10:00 AM
FanODays
Nov 20 2008, 09:28 AM
ladyofthelake
nancyhan77

Actually, what if these actors DID go to Corday or whoever,and those people didn't listen? That's as frustrating to employees. After a while, it takes a toil. Take it from someone who wants to throw a couple of her higher administrators out the window for their stupid decisions, and won't listen to someone who is actually in the trenches. When intelligent people see their superiors doing something stupid, it's very difficult not to say something. (not saying YOU do that. I'm just sayin').
I have respect for those actors who don't sugarcoat things. The problem is....changes aren't made when those involved keep going on like everything is honkey-dorey until the ceiling caves in. There is a way to say things, and I think several actors have alluded to this in their interviews without seeming mutinous.
Obviously, the best way to do it is to discuss it with the superior in a professional manner. But, as we all know, there are those bullheaded bosses who think they know it all and do not take into consideration the wisdom and experience of those who are actually doing the work, seeing the fans, getting the reactions, etc.
The best type of boss is the collaborative, participative boss who listens to all angles, and THEN makes the decision based on what is best for ALL involved. Whether or not this happened with Corday remains to be seen.
Did he make a dumb decision? Did Hall and Hogestyn feel they were above the fray? Are their behind-the-scenes personalities different than the front they show? Or, did Hall and Hogestyn and others tried to rationally reason with TPTB, to no avail? Or did Corday honestly do what he could do, too little, too late?
We have to remember, too (as much as we hate to admit it), many actors are in the business they're in because, well, they're egotistical and like attention! It's their JOB to want attention. But,some actors are in it just because they like to pretend to be different characters and can let loose, which is something they are too shy to do in real life. It's always amazed me, when doing high school theatre, the kids who chose to be onstage. They are often the shyest kids around.

I don't think we'll really know for a while what really came down. We're still trying to figure out the whole diva thing, and aren't caught up with THAT yet! :D
You make good points. I've gathered from various comments that Corday is an absentee leader, one who is hardly there, blows in makes a decision, leaves and lets others deal with the mess he created. Then he blows back in, sees the results and makes rash decisions about how to fix the situation (firing Ed Scott for example).

I've never understood Corday's vision for the show or even if he has one. I'd say he doesn't and that has been apparent during the last 10 years of the show. We've had how many writers and producers? How many storylines have been just dropped? How many actors have been let go right after their contracts were renewed? The answer to all of these is far too many.

Corday's comment about J&M being off screen for an unknown amount of time tells me that either he will have them take a break and then as a sweeps gimmick bring them back when needed or he is randomly making decisions without a clear vision of where the show is going.

Ellie

FanODays
Nov 20 2008, 12:54 PM
Corday's comment about J&M being off screen for an unknown amount of time tells me that either he will have them take a break and then as a sweeps gimmick bring them back when needed or he is randomly making decisions without a clear vision of where the show is going.
What it tells me is that he's trying to lose his stars but keep their fans.

FanODays

Ellie
Nov 20 2008, 01:10 PM
FanODays
Nov 20 2008, 12:54 PM
What it tells me is that he's trying to lose his stars but keep their fans.
If that is the case then Corday is a fool because he's figuring that:

1) The audience believes anything that comes out of his mouth
2) The audience will stick around while he jerks them around.......again
3) The audience is willing to come back if/when J&M returns

Corday has insulted the audience time and again for years blaming us for not watching or supporting the show when I think that he should be thankful that we are devoted/stupid enough to last as long as we have.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

Interesting. I was listening to our local talk radio (only for the local news), and even Paul Harvey mentioned Dee and Drake's untimely end of employment. I guess it is newsworthy!

FanODays

ladyofthelake
Nov 20 2008, 02:07 PM
Interesting. I was listening to our local talk radio (only for the local news), and even Paul Harvey mentioned Dee and Drake's untimely end of employment. I guess it is newsworthy!
Paul Harvey is still around????

I remember listening to him when I was a wee tot and he was ancient then!

sandraliciousy

nah they wont get rid of lucas or ej, it is the sami show after all :P

sandraliciousy

e83talus
Nov 19 2008, 07:28 PM
Mason
Nov 19 2008, 06:30 PM
That is a decision that NBC will need to make when the show drops to 1.6 by March! :flipoff:
haha and ill be happy watching it go down :drunk:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply