Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Days Gets a Pickup; Hall, Hogestyn Out!; Article Summary
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 09:26 AM (4,451 Views)
Ellie

Please link to DR:

Summary of article:

(Picture of Drake and Deidre, inset picture of Corday).

The article states there is good news and bad news. The good news is that NBC has renewed Days, and Corday says he is very happy, because there was a period of time where he really didn't know if that was going to happen. He is grateful to NBC for "keeping the faith" in the show.

The bad news is that, as SOD puts it, "superstars Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn will be leaving." Corday says the renewal is at a 40% reduced fee. Because of that, he has to "retool" the show. He says he's not making a cheaper show, but perhaps even a better show. He says the business world today is just like that, and that this will take "cooperation" from everyone.

Then Corday says (as was quoted on the SOD site): "The couple will be happily reunited after a long period of angst and separation and will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time." Corday says it was not an easy decision and that Drake and Deidre have been "wonderful for a long time". The decision isn't related to their work - he calls them "brilliant" and mentions their many fans. He reminds us that the characters are not dead and that characters have returned before on Days.

Corday then goes on to discuss the rest of the cast. He says there will be other cuts and that production is going to be "downsized" as well. The cast will need to "cooperate economically", and if they don't, then recasts are possible. He says that everyone is a spoke in the wheel, and the center of the wheel is the hourglass. There is nothing he can do about the budget issues. He says (as the SOD website quoted) that this is the "darkest period" he's ever gone through, and it's so hard for him since this is affecting people he's worked with for so long. "How can something be more difficult, except for them?"

In the last paragraph Corday relates that Days will come out better after this transition period is over.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Pearly
Member Avatar

Whatever, fucker! (Not you Ellie!) Just take the show off the air! :shame:

Ellie

Pearly
Nov 19 2008, 09:29 AM
Whatever, fucker! (Not you Ellie!) Just take the show off the air! :shame:
LOL! (Nice to see you around here again, Pearly!)

Oh - if anyone was looking for a quote thanking Drake and Deidre for their years of service... I didn't leave it out. :wink:

cjknick
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie for posting!

mbdimera
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting the recap Ellie!

I LOL'd when he said the characters could come back because they're not dead. When has death ever stood in the way of DOOL bringing back a character? :eyeroll:

Ponz
Member Avatar

Ellie
Nov 19 2008, 09:26 AM
In the last paragraph Corday relates that Days will come out better after this transition period is over.
Ellie, you left out the pic of Corday. :P

Posted Image

Ellie

Ponz
Nov 19 2008, 09:51 AM
Ellie
Ellie, you left out the pic of Corday. :P

Posted Image
LOL!!! Love it. (And a very accurate comparison!)

Anna
Member Avatar

Ellie
Wow talk about denial, just face it Corday your show is on lifesupport...just pull the plug already and let it go with some dignity. :shithitfan:

JohnandMarlenaFreak
Member Avatar

OH MY GOSH,THAT MAN,he is living in a state of denial,Drake and Dee's last show airs in January that means they shoot their last episode in a few weeks,so once they leave what happens if Drake and Dee get asked to join or actually join other soaps,well that means no John and Marlena returning or Drake and Dee could just tell Corday to stick it where the sun don't shine cause I already know Dee is not happy and Drake cannot be happy having been fired twice now so I would not blame Drake and Dee one bit if they told him to suck it.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

Ellie
The bad news is that, as SOD puts it, "superstars Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn will be leaving." Corday says the renewal is at a 40% reduced fee. Because of that, he has to "retool" the show. He says he's not making a cheaper show, but perhaps even a better show. He says the business world today is just like that, and that this will take "cooperation" from everyone.
As I've mentioned before, I read somewhere that the money from SOAPnet is poured into DAYS' budget. If SOAPnet doesn't renew DAYS' same-day licensing agreement(and at the rate SOAPnet is going, this is SO likely), I wonder if this will also take a toll on the budget as well.

Quote:

He reminds us that the characters are not dead and that characters have returned before on Days.
By that point, it will be too late. The damage will have already been done.

Did this guy take a look at what happened to GL after the show killed off Phillip and got rid of the vets on that show? That was a loss they could never recover from, even during short ratings gains.

This is, again, Corday making a ballsy decision he can't stick to.
Quote:

Corday then goes on to discuss the rest of the cast. He says there will be other cuts and that production is going to be "downsized" as well.
Are they going to move to a smaller stage? Shrink their sets? More location shoots?

I think it's time for them to bring Salem Place out of retirement as their "Main Street" set, but I digress. This thread is about lynching Ken Corday.
Quote:

The cast will need to "cooperate economically", and if they don't, then recasts are possible.
Why is he making threats like this in a MAGAZINE about his own cast? This does nothing to boost the morale over there at all. It sounds like he is holding them hostage with his cooperation bullshit.
Quote:

There is nothing he can do about the budget issues.
Of course not. Because of your interference, mismanagement, and your constant hardon for all things Dena "the event planner" Higley, DAYS is in the economic strife that it's in right now.

Quote:

I have faith in Chris Whitesell and Gary Tomlin, because their track record indicates they like fun, adventure, and camp with location shoots and bright "Paul Rauch"-esque lighting galore. What I DON'T have faith in is Corday's interference and Dena's "events."

If Corday really wants to save this show, he will step back, stop being everyone's friend, and allow Tomlin and Whitesell the free reign to carry out the bloodbath and then do what they do best: make soaps splashy and interesting.
Edited by bellcurve, Nov 19 2008, 10:42 AM.

shayera

Anyone think there is any chance of Drake and Dee returning in a few short months?

Why couldn't Ken have asked them for a 3 or 4 month break, then return them? He could build up $$$ in the bank account in the meantime.

phloeishot
Member Avatar

What a dumbass. What is he going to do? Recast the entire show? Just end it already.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

shayera
Nov 19 2008, 10:42 AM
Anyone think there is any chance of Drake and Dee returning in a few short months?

Why couldn't Ken have asked them for a 3 or 4 month break, then return them? He could build up $$$ in the bank account in the meantime.
40% budget cut doesn't sound like Drake and Dee returning at all.

DAYS can barely afford to pay the cameraguys and grips. Do you really think they're gonna be able to bring Drake and Dee back, especially if the ratings tank? Where would Corday get the money? Would it magically fall from the sky?

This show's budget is wrecked.

ges
Member Avatar

It sounds like he doesn't want to take responsibility for his actions as usual. He was forced to do it. waaaaaaaaaa.

Why not cut Dr. Dan, Payla, Stephano, (since he is now just a senile interior decorator) etc. etc. Cut your own salary fuckwad. Doesn't this man realize that these two people are now out of work in a bad economy? Working there must be an extremely demoralizing experience. Do they get a gold-plated watch for putting up with all of his mismanagement over the years. Anybody that believes his lies that he is coming back is stupid. He is just trying to take the heat off of himself. The show sucks so bad now I barely care. Maybe that was the whole Idea. Pound the show deeper and deeper into the shitter so that people are so disgusted that they don't care that it goes off the air. The show sucks. Marlena and RoboJohn (What happened to his witty one liners? ) had a lot of potential. Alas, another s/l completely blown by Higley the Hag. The whole thing sucks.

luvpumpkns
Member Avatar

i too wish that dena had gone, but that wouldn't have saved them money--it would have cost them even more. if they can her, they still have to pay her, if i'm not mistaken. the damage was done back when corday chose to hire a failing soap writer that has been fired from other shows numerous times for bad ratings and stories. if i'm not mistaken, her stint at oltl wasn't her first catastrophic failure being a head writer.

that being said, i still want the show on the air. if corday had come out in SOD and told everyone days was being canned because they didn't want to fire any vets, i'm not going to lie, i'd be ticked off about that, but then again, i'm not as huge of a j&m fan as others are.

i expect to see tony, anna, steve, kayla, stefano and maybe some others go. stories have been set up where both lucas and ej could leave the show without much effect. lexie and abe could also easily be canned, but i doubt that since they are part of dena's autism storyline.

Ellie

IHeartDRRick
Nov 19 2008, 10:40 AM
Quote:

The cast will need to "cooperate economically", and if they don't, then recasts are possible.
Why is he making threats like this in a MAGAZINE about his own cast? This does nothing to boost the morale over there at all. It sounds like he is holding them hostage with his cooperation bullshit.
LOL love all your comments, this especially. That's what it sounds like to me too.

Days4Life

I just can't wrap my mind around why Corday fired Drake and Deidre first. There are so many others who could have and should have gone first, and he could have avoided all of this negative reaction. Kate, Daniel, Steve, Kayla, Tony, Roman...they could have been let go and most fans would have understood. Some would have been unhappy and disappointed about it, but I think most would understand that they have been underused for a long time and for the good of the show, it needed to happen. Max could go, too, as he's running out of relatives to date. Lucas and Chloe could go next, if more cuts are needed. I realize everyone I've mentioned has fans who would be upset if they were fired, and all of these people also need to work to support themselves and their families, but from the standpoint of saving the show it would make much more sense than to fire John and Marlena right off the bat. They should NOT have been the first to be fired, and with every day that passes, I'm becoming angrier about it rather than calming down and accepting it. This was a major mistake from a man who has made many mistakes in his career.

Mason
Member Avatar

My ASS it'll come out better!

Dayz4me

WOW, I have never put anything on here before, but i just can not believe what is going on. Drake and Dee need to stay. There is a good story line there where they can work on getting John's memory back. jmo

jane1978

Days4Life
Nov 19 2008, 11:23 AM
I just can't wrap my mind around why Corday fired Drake and Deidre first. There are so many others who could have and should have gone first, and he could have avoided all of this negative reaction. Kate, Daniel, Steve, Kayla, Tony, Roman...they could have been let go and most fans would have understood. Some would have been unhappy and disappointed about it, but I think most would understand that they have been underused for a long time and for the good of the show, it needed to happen. Max could go, too, as he's running out of relatives to date. Lucas and Chloe could go next, if more cuts are needed. I realize everyone I've mentioned has fans who would be upset if they were fired, and all of these people also need to work to support themselves and their families, but from the standpoint of saving the show it would make much more sense than to fire John and Marlena right off the bat. They should NOT have been the first to be fired, and with every day that passes, I'm becoming angrier about it rather than calming down and accepting it. This was a major mistake from a man who has made many mistakes in his career.
From what I read their contract cycle was about to end, so TPTB had to act now or they would have to pay them another 26, or 52 weeks (most of the vets have half year or whole year cycles). That doesn´t mean others will not follow.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply