Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
SOD: Days Gets a Pickup; Hall, Hogestyn Out!; Article Summary
Topic Started: Nov 19 2008, 09:26 AM (4,365 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

I think you are right jane, and it's something that (understandably) people are losing sight of. Depending on where the contract cycles are, it wouldn't make economic sense to cut certain people right now. They'd still have to be paid through the end of the next cycle. Drake's contract is up in January and I presume Dee is on a six month cycle which would be up in January, or maybe February. So, by sending them off in January, the show only maybe has to pay Dee another month.

I fully expect other cuts to come as the contract cycles come up. That's why Corday is talking about how hard the next 5 months will be.

Just for the record, I'm not necessarily supporting his decision. Just expanding on why I think the decision came as quickly as it did for Dee and Drake and a possible reason why other cuts did not come first. It's possible that when these other contracts cycle through and the cast is significantly trimmed, he might bring Dee and Drake back if they can make the numbers work. But I do believe the reality is that he had to trim the budget immediately and because of the way the contract cycles work, he'd couldn't just fire a bunch of other people to keep Dee and Drake. He would have still had to pay those folks for a least a few months, most likely. And that wouldn't have done anything to help the budget.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nerd35

The way Ken Corday acts is terrible he does not even thank Deidre or Drake for all their years of service to the show. I don't see him being willing to take A pay cut himself. If he thinks the show is going to do great without John and Marlena he is crazy.

Deidrefan28

Ken Corday is the stupidest MFer in the world!!! He wants to make a better show....WITHOUT Deidre and Drake???? What the hell is he thinking?????? He's not! You can't make a show better without these 2! He's going to find out very quickly what getting rid of Dee and Drake will do to the ratings. I really hope that Deidre and Drake find another show to go to and when Corday calls them to come back, they tell him to fuck off. He doesn't know what the hell he's doing if he's so blind to keep Higley, THE reason there aren't any storylines worth watching. I think there's something going on between those 2. Why else would he keep her on?

e83talus
Member Avatar

esp13
Nov 19 2008, 12:07 PM
I think you are right jane, and it's something that (understandably) people are losing sight of. Depending on where the contract cycles are, it wouldn't make economic sense to cut certain people right now. They'd still have to be paid through the end of the next cycle. Drake's contract is up in January and I presume Dee is on a six month cycle which would be up in January, or maybe February. So, by sending them off in January, the show only maybe has to pay Dee another month.

I fully expect other cuts to come as the contract cycles come up. That's why Corday is talking about how hard the next 5 months will be.

Just for the record, I'm not necessarily supporting his decision. Just expanding on why I think the decision came as quickly as it did for Dee and Drake and a possible reason why other cuts did not come first. It's possible that when these other contracts cycle through and the cast is significantly trimmed, he might bring Dee and Drake back if they can make the numbers work. But I do believe the reality is that he had to trim the budget immediately and because of the way the contract cycles work, he'd couldn't just fire a bunch of other people to keep Dee and Drake. He would have still had to pay those folks for a least a few months, most likely. And that wouldn't have done anything to help the budget.
I understand that you and others are trying to see why this decision was done, but its the the way he has gone about this, by simply firing these two popular vets the way he has, over the phone, not offering to discuss his plans with them or to at least explain the budget crunch to them to see if they are will to make sacrifices, he simply insults them hugely by firing them, insults a significant fan base by pushing BS in magazines, and risk them (the DH's and those J&M fans left) not coming back at all simply because he behaved as if he just met Deidre and Drake.

Deidre was backburned from January 07 to June 07 and never complained, while during that same time period Drake, MBE and others did so publicly and loudly. Drake was fired and John killed off and he complained loudly and often. Deidre held her tongue and sold the show whereever she went, calmly stating that everything would work out. She did more to keep the J&M fans holding on from October 07 to January 08 than KC, Hogan Sheffer, and Drake combined.

I just don't think she deserved to be fired like someone who just joined this show last year and has not shown it some loyalty. I think she would have agreed to be put on recurring until they got their heads above water because she has stated she wants to remain until the end. That offer simply was never made. Noone is saying Days is not in a tough position or that hard choices must be made, but assinine and insensitive choices are being made and those who want to be overly objective are ignoring those facts.

Red Mist
Member Avatar

Thanks Ellie, I really do not understand why Corday does not just sell this show. He has run it into the ground. He lacks his parents talent. The man is a blundering fool when it comes to business. What a mess. I guess its good I quit watching DOOLS....it appears there is only 18 month left for it to live.

sungrey

I trust Gary Tomlin as a writer. I don't trust him as an executive producer. This show doesn't need a bloodbath (just for the sake of arguments) as much as it needs improved writing and a sharper focus. Too bad you've cut one limb off already with Drake and Deidre. You're not getting those viewers back.

Now as for growing the show in general, give us a sharper plan. Not more of Corday's bullshit.

bellcurve
Member Avatar

sungrey
Nov 19 2008, 12:52 PM
This show doesn't need a bloodbath (just for the sake of arguments) as much as it needs improved writing and a sharper focus.
The bloodbath is inevitable. 40% budget cut to a show that already only has one set turnaround a week and fired their highest paying actors, with more "fiscal cooperation" ahead. Unless you want to see a dignity-less Kristian Alfonzo and Peter Reckell sweating their balls off in Highland Park, Oxnard, or Seal Beach with cheap handheld cameras and scenes shot in the production office, a massive cast purge HAS to take place.

But I'd rather have Executive Producer/Uncredited Story Consultant Gary Tomlin choosing who gets the liferafts off the Titanic over Ken Corday. Gary Tomlin can get rid of who isn't necessary, who's too expensive, and from there, shape the show into his vivid SUNSET BEACH wet dream.
Edited by bellcurve, Nov 19 2008, 01:08 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

e83talus
Nov 19 2008, 12:27 PM
esp13
Nov 19 2008, 12:07 PM

I understand that you and others are trying to see why this decision was done, but its the the way he has gone about this, by simply firing these two popular vets the way he has, over the phone, not offering to discuss his plans with them or to at least explain the budget crunch to them to see if they are will to make sacrifices, he simply insults them hugely by firing them, insults a significant fan base by pushing BS in magazines, and risk them (the DH's and those J&M fans left) not coming back at all simply because he behaved as if he just met Deidre and Drake.

Deidre was backburned from January 07 to June 07 and never complained, while during that same time period Drake, MBE and others did so publicly and loudly. Drake was fired and John killed off and he complained loudly and often. Deidre held her tongue and sold the show whereever she went, calmly stating that everything would work out. She did more to keep the J&M fans holding on from October 07 to January 08 than KC, Hogan Sheffer, and Drake combined.

I just don't think she deserved to be fired like someone who just joined this show last year and has not shown it some loyalty. I think she would have agreed to be put on recurring until they got their heads above water because she has stated she wants to remain until the end. That offer simply was never made. Noone is saying Days is not in a tough position or that hard choices must be made, but assinine and insensitive choices are being made and those who want to be overly objective are ignoring those facts.

I'm certainly not questioning your opinions, but do you know for a fact that Corday didn't explain the budget problem to them, that he didn't leave the door open in some way, or that he didn't ask if they would be willing to go to recurring for some period of time?

I only ask because I've not seen or read anything to that effect, but I know people have access to other sources. And, I'm not suggesting that he did do any of those things, only that -- as far as I know -- there's been no definitive report that he didn't.

I understand why people are upset. And I don't disagree that the way this has come about is certainly insensitive in many ways. But, I'm just trying to look at the facts I have as best I can.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

Just call him Cleopatra, cause he is definitely the queen of denail on things.

King
Member Avatar

Thanks for the article, Ellie!!

I don't know what to think. Sometimes, I feel bad for him. 40%...Jesus Christ ALMIGHTY!

Ellie

King
Nov 19 2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the article, Ellie!!
You're welcome!

Quote:

I don't know what to think. Sometimes, I feel bad for him. 40%...Jesus Christ ALMIGHTY!
But the thing is, it's largely his fault. Were it not for his special brand of decision-making over the years, the show would not be in the position it's in now. I'm not sure if I conveyed it correctly, but in the article he really makes it sound like he's completely the victim in all of this.
Edited by Ellie, Nov 19 2008, 01:48 PM.

destinyrules
Member Avatar

And I forgot to say Thanks, so Thanks Ellie!

cassie1013

Quote:

will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time

Umm... I hope that means forever. I NEVER want to Deidre Hall return to this piece of shit, worthless show that shoved her aside when SOO many others should have been gone before her. She put in half her life to DAYS...that's longer than I've even been ALIVE.

I want her to get on primetime or Y&R (something, even if it's short term) and STICK. IT. TO. THEM. Corday may think everyone is just going to come crawling back, but seriously, I hope she proves otherwise.

And 40% budget cut? That is a lot. But even if it was an increased budget, that doesn't change the fact that there is mismanagement. Someone said that Y&R's budget is approx. 1.3/mill a week and so was DAYS up until recently...that's embarrassing that Y&R can run and operate a show, using ALL of their vets CONSISTENTLY, much better production and story on a very close budget to what shitty DAYS was putting out there.

Ellie

cassie1013
Nov 19 2008, 01:53 PM
Quote:

will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time
Umm... I hope that means forever.
I'm sure it does. Corday is firing Drake and Deidre, but of course he doesn't want their fans to leave. He hopes to keep the fans around by dangling carrots like that in front of them. Stick with the show, and your favorites might reappear! Unfortunately though, seeing as how Drake and Deidre have been treated after they stuck with the show, I wouldn't expect any better for their fans.

cassie1013

^ I honestly think he's going to continue with his empty promises, even after they're gone, and try to bring them back for special occasions (like 4th of July). Of course he will sell it to their fans there's going to be a "story" in the one week they are to appear. I think the J&M fans have been burned too many times though... I mean, I find I like them on the canvas, but I'm ok with them not being in a story of their own all the time....but what makes it worse for their fanbase is they're promised them over and over (and over!) again in ALL of Corday's "PLAN TO SAVE DAYS!" LOL.Of course, I hope they turn down any such appearances and get on with things. They are too good to be treated like that.

Ponz
Member Avatar

That line about everyone being a spoke in the wheel perfectly encapsulates why Corday is such an awful EP. He couldn't care less about preserving the show's creative integrity, heritage or core viewership. In his mind, compromising all of this is justified as long as it "saves" the show. It doesn't bother him that the end result might have no resemblence to his parent's legacy because he has no core principles. He loves some entity called "Days of our Lives" but doesn't love any actual part of it. Hence the show's constant identity crisis since he took over.
Edited by Ponz, Nov 19 2008, 02:25 PM.

Angie79
Member Avatar
Royal Reporter

Fox article

…NBC’S "Days of Our Lives" is owned by Ken Corday, whose late parents, Ted and Betty Corday, helped invent modern soaps. Alas, Ken is a prime example of the inheriting generation destroying the parents’ creation. News has leaked out that he’s "fired" the show’s star, Deidre Hall, who’s played blonde and brainy Dr, Marlena Evans since 1976. Corday has also let go for the second time in a year Dr. Evans’s onscreen husband, played by Drake Hogestyn. (They killed him, then got fan flack and brought him back.) NBC just renewed "Days" for 18 months, but really, the party’s over. "Days" is the only soap left on the network, and Jeff Zucker has said he’d rather get rid of it. Corday is a piece of work. A couple of years ago he tried to fire the entire tenured cast by killing all their characters. Then he had to take that back and say they’d all been kidnapped to a tropical island. Oh well: these were the days of our lives…And Hall? I predict she goes straight to prime time or to CBS’s "Young and the Restless"…

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,454789,00.html

King
Member Avatar

It is his fault, but I still feel badly. He has to have friends, family, co-workers, people on the staff of DAYS who are all talking Bout what a horrible move this is. I bet his kids and wife are even telling him.

He just feels like he is backed into a corner. I am sure the only people who think this is a good idea are the guys in charge of the books.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I kind of feel bad for him too, King.

Yes, he's made some really bad decisions. But the pressure of running this show, pretty much by yourself, has to be a workload for anyone. We all make bad decisions in our lives. And DAYS' future has been in jeopardy for the last 5 years. I'm not surprised by the irratic decisions Corday has made. He's desperate. You know what they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. When Corday doesn't think one thing is working, he's going to try and fix it. For the most part, all of his plans to fix the show have backfired and that's why we are in the position we are in now.

But I get tired of hearing fans say that Corday is trying to kill the show. I don't think that's the case. This is his parents' legacy. Hell, it's his legacy. He doesn't want the show to fail. But when you have all this pressure, you make decisions, and sometimes you have to make the decisions first and think about it later.

I just wouldn't want to be Corday right now.

King
Member Avatar

Yeah. D&D - I know they've taken every pay cut asked of them - but they just must have been making so much money together...too much...for the show to survive. Maybe they would have had to cut ten to fifteen people on the cast (let alone the crew) to make up for it.

Who knows. This is a stupid decision but getting rid of half the cast over two cast members is also stupid.

It's just a mess.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply